Outlaw 2013

Comments

• Seren, I saw a couple doing similar for much of the bike. Don't get how you can happily walk away after the race knowing you cheated/ didn't do it properly. Guarantee there were hundreds of people who so badly wanted to cut across the cone line on that embankment and save themselves a few hundred metres but didn't do it (I know I had that chat with myself!)

• Well done SS - it was good to meet you. I think your husband was dead proud image

• groovy.the guy did a 1:08 swim last time and happens to do a 1:23 this year..she must have been on his feet the whole time.......but then there is no rule againgst that....but to draft the entire bike course.......part of ironman is to be able to get yourself through the long hours of the bike on your own

• Seren. Much the same fuss about Pro Lisa Hutthaler and her boyfriend riding two-up when she won 70.3 Miami and more recently Norway. Wonder if organisers would ever do a retrospective DQ for something like that. Short of them racing on a tandem, it's pretty blatant!

Those bike hours are indeed long - especially if you're me! 7:07!image Pretty much got passed by everyone I'd gotten ahead of in the swim.

• Britrisky - yeah he was bless him. Makes all the difference. What did Carol do to her hand. Saw her at the finish and gave a double take as was sure she didn't have a sling on the day before.

I saw them Seren towards the end. They were chatting behind me for ages then she went past then he did but he stopped to talk. Made sure my wheel stayed in front of his. Wasn't getting dome for some idiot. 

Also there were 3 drafting a bit earlier in my race. To be fair the front lady maybe didn't know but there was a bloke about 3meters behind and a lady 3 meters behind him. Difficult to tell exactly from where I was. But marshall on motorbike came up and was videoing them alongside them. The guy eventually moved on but the lady at the back never did. When I caught her up her number was skewif(sp) so couldn't read it. The man turned out to be a pain in the backside and I was glad to finally get rid of him at an aid station.

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

There were some very drafty people.  Duff Beer man for example.  Barely over 12mph when I went past uphill.   He came flying past me at the back of a train, swigging water and freewheeling (not downhill) in the line.  I was very impressed by Helen from Abu Dhabi Tri who paced the race perfectly rather than my stuttering approach.  I will get my race report done today I hope.  The woman who didn't silence the HR zone or was using it as a metronome was particularly irritating and when I heard it approaching  made sure I sped up!  All in all my first long course and 11:37 a pleasing time. 

• you will always get some drafting as bikes meet up before splitting..............but to draft someone for 112 miles is totally differrent.he was looking around all the time to make sure he wasn't going to fast and dropping her

Toro.anothwer brilliant fast time image

• How do you find out whether people have been penalised or disqualified for drafting?

• Did they catch anyone walking the swim this year?

• Southern Snail wrote (see)

How do you find out whether people have been penalised or disqualified for drafting?

Its shown on the results at the bottom of the page just above the DNFs. Only one this years - DQ'd for drafting 3 times.

• Not sure, but there were a few people still trying use me as a raft after 3km in! Bit out of order as surely at that stage there's enough clear water that you don't have to go all water polo on people.

• Southern Snail wrote (see)

How do you find out whether people have been penalised or disqualified for drafting?

It's included in the notes column of the results.  2 minutes for drafting, 1 guy has a DQ for being spotted drafting 3 times.  There's one pirate and one very well-known tripetalker with drafting penalties image.

• A massive thanks to the two pirates I was doing the shuffle with on the run!

"The Ironman Ramblers Assoc"

My first Tri, and most certainly not my last - cheers guys, you know who you are!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

great reports, always like to read about folks exploits at soemthing I'm not prepared to undertake myself

Seren - sounds like you simply need to learn to run with a few more clothes on year round. I deliberately spend a few weeks at the end of the VLM taper in a couple of layers, hat, gloves etc even when its warm. You can teach your body to adapt, you will then be able to bag your 13:30. Impressive bike split/pacing too, nice.

• TR....In january races i have been known to tip water over my head to cool down........image

I do cool down very quickly and get cold as soon a s I stop.......been the same for years....

just need to race in cooler conditions.soimeone did suggest the midnight one]

• I Had a Dream

The Journey

Back in 1997 shortly after quitting rugby due to a recurrent dislocating shoulder I saw a tv program about ironman. I had too doo one, it was the ultimate challenge. Off I went to the pool, about ten lengths later the reality hit home. It wasn't going to happen.

Later that year I went off to uni and needing a new sport took up rowing which even If my technique was rubbing I made up for by becoming very fit. I also joined the beech life guards. no big deal but I was in Aberdeen. Swimming remained rubbish and I always struggeled with the 400m timed swims. It was then that I did my first auathon. After three years and many fond memories I graduated and went off to Manchester to do another degree. Again a change of sport and I was canoeing this time and dabeling with running. I could happily nock out a 1:30 half marathon without much bother. That dream was still at the back of my mind so in 2004 I entered the Helvellyn  triathlon. I figured pick a hard one so the swim is less of a player. delighted to be able to swim the mile and get out on the bike the ride was ok, even falling off on the struggle clipped on to new soes. the run played to my strength. And after finishing 135th I was hooked.

Never one to sit still and having always fancied a GB shirt I blaged my way on to the age group team at the long distance duathlon championships in Denmark back in 2005.or was it 06 carnt remember. Anyway  in 2007 I bit the bullet and entered IMUK . Sadly  I had too move back north to Newcastle (Home, Blue peter it may have been me you were chatting too), The reason was a new job and I never made the race.  Roll on a few years and by now I have a wife and two kids so training was sporadick to say the least.

2012 saw my return to tri and I did a sprint. again I struggeled with the swim but loved the bike and the run was just fab. The Dream was still there.  2012 was a tough year with my wife being diagnosed with cancer and undergoing surgery and thankfully now being all clear. Hell do you re evaluate life.  Roll on October or was it November. I had the pleasure of working with K9. sat at work I mentioned Id fancied doing an IM and had just watched the chanel 4 show of the outlaw 2012. I was adamant the entries weren't yet open. She gave me the shove I needed to go and enter. Didn't tell the wife for about a month after. Anyway she took it well and said I could chase my dream.  A bit of training needed to be done so I got a 30 week plan and planed to get swimming lesons. very soon it was febuary I had just 1 swimming lesson. I just don't enjoy swimming and I still make excuses not to go. Cycling was ok I had a turbo set up in the garage and my knowledge of films has increased greatly.

Running has never been a problem it was just time I needed something that working a 1 in 5 rota, having a wife a two kids its a ballanec that we all juggle.

with a few months to go I re drew the plan and figured if I could do the distance over a weekend then I could do it on the day. So one weekend I swam half and ran half on Saturday and repeated on sunday. next weekend I cycled half and ran half on Saturday and repeated on sunday. With 3 weeks to go my long cycle peaked at about 80 miles and my long run at 22miles. My foot hurt like hell and couldn't walk well for about a week. I went to the pool and swam 4000m. it was slow but I could go the distance, time to taper.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I saw plenty of blatant drafting....

I also heard someone freewheeling behind me at about 90 miles, who openly admitted he was drafting behind me.... he then came up alongside me to chat - and when I told him he would be done for drafting he told me that's how I should be doing it - out on the quiet country roads....

And I'm sorry - but he was a pirate, and not one who got a drafting penalty.

Personally I prefer to play by the rules and not get through a race by cheating

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Also - 2 minutes is a pretty small penalty on such a long event - maybe it should be 10 minutes?

• Seren, if they were doing it that blatently (and the times corroborate it) I think we should out them.

I can vaguely remember a seeing a couple on the run course and now I read this I even remember shouting 'no pacing'.  If I recall correctly they may have had pink/purple colour kit?

This sort of thing really winds me up and just undermines all the work people put in, in particular some of the struggles people on here have recounted.

I just wonder if she's sitting in work today wearing her medal telling everyone how wonderful she is?

• the only time they split up was to give a 4 sec gap to finish the bike.........they went through the other ones within a second.....don't know why it bugs me do much........probably because this was a planned thing from before the event..i will draft you the whole way through.and just  go infront of you at the end of each leg so they don't notice........image

• I had someone drafting / freewheeling me for ages... with one of those clicky hubs it was really peeing me off especially after a feed station when I think he slowed to let me past to have another go. Wasn't impressed so had to churn a big gear to get away.

• image No one drafted me. wonder why? imageimage

Darkness do you know claire then? can you say a big WELL DONE!!!!!!!!! from me please. She was pirate matirial.

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

I'm sorry to say that i am the pirate with the drafting penaltyimage. I spotted it last night when I looked at the results, this has taken the edge off the great feeling I had about the day.

I knew the rules beforehand and knew that they were strict about drafting, I thought I had been very careful not to get too close to anybody. I certainly was not deliberately drafting anyone and cannot think when I occured the penalty.

• honk..........one penalty is just bad luck.........i wouldn't worry about it...........I was going up an incline and caught up 2 blokes slowly.....I was just thinking about overtaking as it was a busy road when the camera bike came and started filming me........all i could think was that they are going to record me drafting.......but they were in the way.......and it was hard not to bunch up a bit as we were going similar paces........but as soon as the incline eased off a bit and the bike buggerred off I was passthem and away

• and I just want to say how pleased I was to see so many of the new pirates who attended the DIY half  weekend do well at Outlaw.......

obviously the SA training camp is the best preperation anyone can have ..as I think just about everyone who attended did wellimage

• The race quickly arrived. travelled down on Thursday to a small camp site near by. mother in law had set up her caravan ( she would be child support on race weekend)

I pitched the tent and the wife and children joined me that night. A 4yr old an an 18mth old in a tent doesn't = good sleep.

Saturday arrived and I made it to the race briefing and met K9. so pleased to see she was there. I was fairly relaxed about the race I figured I could do the bike and run(my main aim on the run was to run slow 9min miles , something id struggled to slow too in training) if I could survive the swim. Bags packed and the normal faff, bought a head sweat as it was to be hot. I hate heat , I don't do hot holidays anything above 20 and I melt. 10 degrees and I put the shorts on. This was a nightmaire. Only issue packing was I couldn't find my mini pump. My trustee small pump goies in my pocket for every ride and has often got me home, I was missing a friend. I emptied the car several times to no joy.

Off for a family BBQ ( Might as well risk it) on Saturday night. borrowed a pump off my brother in law and early to bed. Slept well (not like a baby, why do people say that mine don't sleep). alarm at 4. Normal breakfast and off to HP. Taped pump to bike like a giant flag behind the sadle. and went and put wet suit on.

The race

As I enetered the water I couldn't see the other end. Pen 3 ( aiming for 1:30). What was I doing?? Then we were off. I was expecting some one to unleash the gates from hell but it was Ok. I set off doing FC and found some space. was ok till about 750 until I got battered by some bloke doing a zig zag. Flipped out and started doing Breast stroke. This was slow and dark thoughts entered my head Where was the end, how long was this going to take. finished the fist leg head up but at least I could see. A the turn around I remembered counting. In training Id done 40 sets of 100m repeats. I knew each 25m took 30 pulls. So I started 4 sets of 30 FC then I was aloud 20 Brest stroke and repeat. It wasn't pretty but it seemed to work, I even Think I had some one on my feet for a bit. Was delighted to reach the end, This was going to be Ok.

Out the swim in 1:33 so near target. ran to tent striped and out onto bike.( all well or so I thought) Those girls in swim suits rubing sun cream on me at the start. Thanks for the chat and banter. Id decided to just take the cycle easy and enjoy it, I wasn't going to win and figured an easy ride would mean strong run. Quickly realised I hadn't put my heart rate monitor on. Oh well, this would be done on feel. Just after the roundabouts on the first southern loop realised that I didn't have my timing chip on eather. Must have stripped it off with my wetsuit. All the aid stations were brillinant. stopped twice for the loo, eating and drinking as to plan. On the northern loop had a short conscience check. The road splits and we were joined by fast riders a whole lap ahead. the marshal shouted" norther loop left, southern straight on" I didn't have a chip, dilemma, no one would know I could cut out the loop and have the bike time of a life time. I turned left as I would know, and that wouldn't complete the dream. This had to be done. I wasn't rushing back. With that in mind I did witness lots of drafty people and this did anoy but they no, they can try and live with it. I also saw several riders from a tri club riding with one of their competitors. I think only 1 out of the pack was racing. I must thank one of them. A girl from darlington tri club. she called my name as she came past to encourage me as I was finishing the second southern loop. I was flagging, and that encouragement was just what I needed. secondly taking up the chase from 15m back I had a great view and my mind wandered too much better thoughts.  chatted to a pirate

• Well that was effin immense! I would like to intrude for a moment and thank the Pirates doing it, supporting it and feeding us! A particular thanks to Razor for some bike position to and fro on the 1st Southern and general encouragment. to Matt Laffan for coming out to get me on the embankment and to Slag for running me in along the lake. I didnt think last year could be topped but hey what do I know. It was a pleasure to carry your badge for a day. Hope you didnt mind.

Insomnia cure here : http://shortfatbaldsid.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/dont-try-this-at-home-ironmorph.html

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

honk..........one penalty is just bad luck.........i wouldn't worry about it...........I was going up an incline and caught up 2 blokes slowly.....I was just thinking about overtaking as it was a busy road when the camera bike came and started filming me........all i could think was that they are going to record me drafting.......but they were in the way.......and it was hard not to bunch up a bit as we were going similar paces........but as soon as the incline eased off a bit and the bike buggerred off I was passthem and away

[sticks BTF officials hat on]

sure - fully understand about the bunching BUT it is the responsibility of the athlete behind the rider in front to maintain the 10m gap.  so if you come up behind someone, you have to stay 10m back; or if overtaken, drop back from the overtaker to keep the 10m gap.

in race mode, it's tough sure - shite I've been there myself many times - but of you want to avoid that penalty follow the rule.

[takes BTF officials hat off]

• Just lost loads, will try again.

1. Easy way to get rid of drafters snot rocket em both barrels and a hefty wodge of gob followed by a polite " awfully sorry didnt see you there drafting my wheel" works a treatimage