Outlaw Bike Recce

Comments

• Is there anyone with good knowledge of the route / suitably programmed Garmin, happy to kick-off around 10/11AM?

• i have got the route planned in my 800 and have ridden the course already however i   was wanting to start somwhere between 8 and 9, could leave at 10 at a push

• 9am would be ok for me, I refuse to get up before 6am for any reason (exception being Outlaw race day)

• bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭
    A little later works better for me too, especially if I get to follow someone who knows the route!
  • JCD, marshallini and bhf, if you guys could compromise and agree 10AM start that would be fantastic.  I would like to commit to earlier but travelling 150 miles on a-roads and not allowing for any delays might be cutting it fine for me (it's impractical for me to travel up on Saturday night).

If that's achievable, count me in.

Rw

• Hi all - off work on holiday this week so haven't been on as much as normal. Sounds like plans are coming along nicely! I'm happy to work for between 9-10 as a start time. I've checked and I'm exactly 2 hours away apparently.

If people are going a little faster, and if the terrain is as 'level' as their making out, I can probably average 16-17 if thats what people are doing. I'm happy though to go slower if anyone is in two minds about coming and worried about speed.

• bhflyer wrote (see)
    I have a pass, so keen for this. Anyone else from sw London type direction interested in sharing the cost? Happy to drive.

I could be pretty tempted BH if you could drive and have space?

Would need somebody to follow though, otherwise I might end up back in London fairly quickly if I'm left to try and direct myself!

• If it suits most people a 10 am start could work for me as does going round at 16 - 17 mph

• bhflyer wrote (see)
    I have a pass, so keen for this. Anyone else from sw London type direction interested in sharing the cost? Happy to drive.

image It's a bit down south so don't know the area in relation to well but I'm going to be stopping off at Allaysbury the saturday night for a birthday so if thats on your way a share would work quite well for me. At the moment toying with the idea of getting a cycle ride in and cycling to Milton Keynes or Derby depending on the trains to get there.

• Oh and can cycle and meet in london

• JCD, that works well for me.  Happy to show a little flexibility, especially since you're our guide on this one.  Otherwise and being a little presumptuous:

Sunday 10 June - 10AM kick-off (16-18mph group):
    JCDigger (18mph)
    marshallini (17-18 mph)
    Proven Robbie W (16.5 / 17.5 mph)
    Bhflyer
    Bhflyer’s brother (non-pirate but strong cyclist)

I will be out for 40-50 miles on Saturday so happy with a slower pace, also willing to suck it up and keep up with group, as required.  Failing all else, I'll seek shelter in suitable looking pub.

I take it we're all keen to kick out the 80 or so miles without need for lunch break?

TBC

Moving Along
    Little Sister
    Slow Engineer
    Holly Golightly
    AJ Ford
    Golden Boots
    Cake
    Doner Kebab

• I'm interested in this if I can make it... would be the 15mph group though. 

Sunday 10 June - 10AM kick-off (16-18mph group):
    JCDigger (18mph)
    marshallini (17-18 mph)
    Proven Robbie W (16.5 / 17.5 mph)
    Bhflyer
    Bhflyer’s brother (non-pirate but strong cyclist)

I will be out for 40-50 miles on Saturday so happy with a slower pace, also willing to suck it up and keep up with group, as required.  Failing all else, I'll seek shelter in suitable looking pub.

I take it we're all keen to kick out the 80 or so miles without need for lunch break?

TBC
    Moving Along
    Little Sister
    Slow Engineer
    Holly Golightly
    AJ Ford
    Golden Boots
    Cake
    Doner Kebab

• Is it possible please that a responsible adult can scope out The Bridge as a potential base for the Monday debrief?
    Would need room for a fair amount of people (50+) with the option of indoors if inclement weather

Many Thanks yous

• No problem,  i will check it out as well as a couple of others while in down there

is this the one at Gunthorpe, if so we pass it on the way out on the first loop, we can get the whole groups opinion

• As long as it is iwthin walking/staggering distance of HPP we should be ok

Oh yes .. and they need to sell Guinness !!

• image Know the bridge well they do sell the black golden lovelyness Chuck

• Message understood, loud and clear

• Perfect

Do they have room for a few pirates?  image

• Cake - how far is the bridge from HPP

• I can't comment on the Bridge pub as it doesn't ring any bells but having studied in the town (this century) I can tell you that there are a number of sizable establishments within a mile of HPP.  If you head in the direction of West Bridgford (where the Trent Bridge drinkers are well catered for) you'll not fail to find a suitable venue.

• bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭

GB, I have PM'd you re transport

Cake, I can only do me, my bro and one other with three bikes, so I've PM'd GB first as he mentioned it first. Also Aylesbury is quite a way off route and as its a three hour drive door to door, keen to keep it as slick as poss. However, if GB is not keen I'll let you know and see if we can work anything out!

Looking forward to this, esp the pub recce bit!

• Robbie at this stage I think we will go with the best pub we can find within walking distance and with a garden and guinness   image

• Cake, if you are looking at trains then you are prob better to cycle from Aylesbury to Tring which is on the same line as MK and much easier to get to!

• Will anybody else be riding the TT bike? I know we will be in a group... but have only been on it for +50 miles twice so it's an opportunity I can't really miss

• Nice cycle etiquette GB.  Mine's a road bike with aero bars and I will be using them as frequently as possible!

Rw

• The course is flat, so flat its quite hard to find areas to replicate it in training, i might be speaking out of turn but i think people will be surprised how fast the course is, however some may be nervous about joining in as the mentioned speed is 16 - 18 mph, i think for a reece 18 mph may be a bit to top end, more like 15 - 17mph

Iron Pingu - if you were looking around 15 mph, i think you could easily slot into this group, anyone who turns up will definatley not be left behind. 

I do not plan on any lunch / cake stops on route that could come afterwards

We can either do a lap of each which comes in at about 82 mile or the full course 

• JCD, I've already packed my wetsuit...

Since I am personally unfamiliar with any members of this forum and do not own any pirate kit, for identification purposes I shall wear a yellow chrysanthemum and dark glasses.  Alternatively, those familiar with the PM feature on here are welcome to drop me a message with their mobile number and I'll do likewise.

Looking forward to meeting some pirates in person and surprising them with my real name ... Rob.

See you Sunday at 10AM.

• Meldy - I have found the bridge on Goggle, it is the closest to HPP jst by roundabout at Gamston. I have just spoke to the landlord and going to check out the venue at 9am Sunday. 

I was hoping to tap him up for free food in exchange for our hard earned beer money, any thoughts or suggestions? maybe chilli and rice or curry dish? 

• JCDigger wrote (see)

Cake - how far is the bridge from HPP

Oh you've already answered yourself but err quoted it so will just say never ask me about distance I tend to say just over the hill. image

bhflyer wrote (see)

GB, I have PM'd you re transport

Cake, I can only do me, my bro and one other with three bikes, so I've PM'd GB first as he mentioned it first. Also Aylesbury is quite a way off route and as its a three hour drive door to door, keen to keep it as slick as poss. However, if GB is not keen I'll let you know and see if we can work anything out!

Looking forward to this, esp the pub recce bit!

No worries was just hoping just in case. london is a strange world to me and see above for distances. If you get a drop out I can cycle into london village and meet you there. At the moment I don't have a plan but want to try and get a long bike in and also check out the new course.

M...eldy wrote (see)

Cake, if you are looking at trains then you are prob better to cycle from Aylesbury to Tring which is on the same line as MK and much easier to get to!

Cheers chuck. image

Just in case and so folks can tell people i'm for one going to be wearing pirate kit. Oh and for those who havn't been subjected to me in the past real name Matt.

• JCD - you are a star .. knowing the economic climate and pirate eating habits I would say anything he could offer would be a bonus, keeping us topped up with chips would be ace  image