PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Get the excuses in early, Whiz. Anyway, 2k swim in 37 minutes is racing in my book.

Bike today for me, 53 miles with the group. However it threw a mechanical at me, with the left crank jumping 45 degrees out of position. The bolts had come loose from when the shop serviced it 2 weeks ago. It was really odd to try riding like that! Anyway it took about 10 minutes or so to fix.

Got a new car yesterday, carefully chosen to be able to chuck tri- bikes in the back image Sorry, I meant carefully selected to allow shifting of kids gear to University.

• Blisters - I'm getting no excuses in! I'm here too bring the pain (not so much in the swim, ok not last out of the pirates is good) but I'm going too bring all levels of pain too the bike course, and the run will be just steady! 2k in 37 mins is soo much slower then I would like, but if I'm honest with my self I am not really prepared too put in the level of work too get too that level! Sounds like a fun mechanical make sure you sort that out before September! What car by the way?!?

cheggers - sounds like you have what I had, feel completely drained... Don't train, stop, now! You will only get worse, you are not going too increase in fitness in 2 weeks, and you will only be off for a few days... I took a whole week off and felt better for it!

4 hr group bike tommoro with a hour solo, nothing exciting or too hard! Working Monday boo image

• Ok nothing too hard went out the bloody window.... Do not ride with elite cyclists if you need a easy day.... I need too go get back in my car and pick up my lungs... As they are somewhere in Marlborough.... Averaged 22.3 mph over 60 miles on a road bike with 1400 m of climbing.... The run after was not pleasant! Still it gives me a good idea where I stand and what I need to do to improve.. Mainly climbing... Time trial speed is there.... Increase in cadence while climbing is what I need too work on in the winter.... Still you live and learn!

anyway I hope you are all well and I'm now well truly getting into a proper taper as of now... This week has seen a reduction.... The week approaching is looking nice and easy only 11 hours this week!

• Whiz - Glad to hear your going to take it easy now. That sounds like a hell of a ride.

Blisters - Hope your bike is sorted now.

My 2 hour run was really good average 8:10min miles and my heart rate was only top of Z1.

Looks at my bike this afternoon and noticed that the wear on my saddle is now at a critical point, a couple of splits are developing right in the middle of the cover. I had noticed these recently but the last 65mile seems to have taken them over the edge. It’s ok to ride at the moment but if they get any worst I'm sure it will result in significant discomfort. As it’s the original saddle ie 2009 Bontrager Basic Race you can't buy them new anywhere. I don't think now is the time to try a new saddle unless I can be sure newer models have the same design/shape. It really annoying as i was hoping it would hold out until after Henley and then I was going to try a few models and upgrade. Any ideas?

• Scuba - serious suggestion, even if it doesn't sound it, but duct tape??

• Saturday Night Dinner

Unsurprisingly, restaurants in Henley seem to be a little busy on the night before the race! But I have booked a table for 14 at 6.00pm at Zizzi's. However, as they have several large booking in, they have asked if we can pre-order (as I used to run a restaurant I understand their point, plus it means we'll get our food on time).

So its audience participation time !! image Can you all look at the menu and PM me with your choice of starters, main and desserts by next Friday please.

Thank you

• Blister - How long did it take for you Hoodie to turn up? Just wondering if I have time to get one before Henley?

Cheggers - That thought had crossed my mind, not sure how it will cope with my sweat arse for the next couple of weeks and then the race. I've seen a second hand one on E-bay from Belgium which may be the solution.

• Raf -  thanks for organising image. Also by having the menu we can work out the cost of our meals and bring get the right money etc 

All - Jr Schmunks has chosen the profile name of 'Lanky ' and thus will be how he is referred to in future and will be the name on his Supporters kit however he will not participate in the forum although I am trying to persuade him to wear yells and black at his next Triimage 

• Scuba AND ANY OTHER NEWBIE PIRATES.

The Pirate shop hosted by Hollywood links directly to Sweatshirt and your hoodie, T shirt, or whatever is listed can be with you in THREE DAYS. Pretty damn amazing, and the beauty of  t'interweb. However, I came across a little problem with the T shirt I ordered for my daughter: I couldn't change the default "Pirate Name" under the logo, and guess what? That's exactly what arrived, despite 2 emails. They have promised to swap it.

My hoodie (more correctly my hooded zip front jacket) is brilliant, and good quality.  

• Scuba - spreadshirt stuff normally arrives within 7-10 days although I would recommend getting your order in rather pronto as my Lanza t-shirt didn't arrive in time in May

• 2 glasses of wine, wife away on hen do - enters Henley half... Honestly surprised that they still have places left this close to the event.  I shall see you there.

• Sorry Raf, I can't make the supper. Got to be back home for 8.30pm latest. image

• Nice idea raf

Ill pm you later today but have you room for 2?

• OC - you and Shuffle were on the list anyway.

No problem Soupy - I can always adjust the booking down at he last minute image

• Zizzi Menu: choices choices. I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Accommodation.
    I have cancelled my room at the Premier Inn Marlow, so if anyone wants one, they now have availability.
    I called Swiss Farm, and they were able to take my booking for grass pitch camping, for £36 for 2 nights.

• I shall put me and the mrs order down when she gets home from playing horses

• Blister - When are you going to get to Swiss Farm? I could do with a hand getting my tent up and would be good to have a Pirate base camp.

• Well taper seems to have quietened it down in here. Hope you are all taking good care of yourselves.

Think I forgot to welcome Zakalwe.

So 50min run and 1hr OW swim yesterday and 45min/15min brick this morning, easy life. Taking it easy at work and writing lists, camping kit, transition bags etc.

• What time you getting to Swiss Farm then Scuba?

Also, as not many people put there name down for the Monday 'debrief', I thought we would be able to secure a suitable area in a local boozer without booking etc. So I suggest we aim to meet up in the Angel pub at 12:00 on the Monday. If its nice, there's lots of tables next to the River and if its raining there's a small back bar we can take over. image

Still waiting on dinner orders!!

• Morning!

taper madness kicking in here chez Frag and lots of wibbling image

just a thought, and this is more for the benefit of our supporters than us - do you guys think it would be a good idea to collate a list of who's competing / their real names / brief description / supporters, contact numbers, etc   so then on the day they know who the other pirates are ?

eg

Fraggle (real name) : short arse riding a white bike / supporters = Mr Frag  (real name) + 2 sons(one wielding cowbell), possibly the dog / contact number  ???

if theres agreement I'll organise it image

• nice one Raf,  Mr Frag wants to come on the Monday if that's OK - well, he'll be driving me over anyway so I may as well buy him a pint and some lunch image

• ST - you're right, all very quiet! If you need a hand with a tent we'll be in Henley all day Sat - you've got the phone no. Eldest boy currently at Scout camp so he'll be fully trained in tent putting up by now!

I'm doing much less atm - swam (in the pool) for about an hour earlier and that's today done. Probably too much as I'm still recovering from whatever bug I had - but I can't do nothing!

Hope I can do this IM distance malarky, I don't reckon Henley will run in 2014 and so I seem to have entered Outlaw for next year!

• Raf - as always a hero with the organisation. I might be a bit late on the Monday, there’s an award ceremony on at 12:00. Not for me but you never know we may have to heckle a pirate with an age group podium image                        

I'm going to get to Henley as early as I can on Saturday; I'll put my tent up as soon as, but not sure when Swiss Farm will let me in. If I can't do my tent before lunch then I'll get registered. I'll give you (Raf) and Cheggers as text when I know when I'm getting to Henley (and anyone else who want to meet up earlier then 12:30 registration).

Frag - Like the idea, will talk to my supporters about it.

• Just remembered I have this race to do soon....

Whats the bike course like - hilly ? Challenging ? Alpine ?

How does it compare to the other IM courses ? Anyone ?
  • Frag - I like the idea too. If it happens, count me in.

Re a Monday debrief....I couldn't do a Monday debrief in the evening (hence the staying quiet) but if we're going for noon on Monday me - and Mrs Cheggars - will                                            be along. Whilst we've got rid of our children for the Sunday evening and Monday morning we need to be home for school pickup time so reluctantly we wouldn't be able to stay for long. Possibly be late as well - should any pirate hecking need to be done then it'd be rude not to!

• Cougie - its not in Lanza or Wales league. Its three laps, with 2 hills on each lap. The first is a long (4 miles) slow drag maybe 6%, the second is a short (half mile) 10%, topping out at 13% which will probably hurt the this time at mile 104 image. Overall I think its about 2000m climbing.

But the swim's downhill!

Are you joining us for dinner Sat night or beers on Monday?

• Ta for that ! Not sure what my plans are but need to get back home Monday afternoon as my wife needs to be back in work. Its much better doing a foreign race as then theres no darting off early !

Cheers !
  • I shall be on hand at the Mallister's Arms pub feedstation in Rotherfield Greys.

Raf - are you camping Saturday night?

• I might end up sleeping in my van somewhere quiet on Sunday night!  I'll probably need it after shouting all day!  But hope to be around for suitable heckling Monday and a small beer!

Fraggle, good idea re names and numbers!  Do we just PM you?  

Cat, I'll try to get over to you for that book too!!