Options

PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Options

I'm not nervous, a bit anxious of weather, but if I'm honest I've worked hard this year, I'm just looking forward too it! I done a 34 mile hill repeat session today.... Good taper hey.. my plan did include it though... Short swim tommoro and short very easy bike, Thursday is a easy bike again and a short run, Friday is swim, Saturday park run (very mediocre) short bike... Sunday is some sort of race I think... Can't rememberimage

• Options

I'm finding this taper stuff quite interesting....never really done it before.....although I feel a bit lethargic and am sick of doing jobs round the house it's actually making me realise how much I enjoy swimming, being on my bike and running....i'll probably need to remind myself of this statement at various times on Sunday !!!

looking forward to seeing you all...take care !

• Options

Whizz - I think you will SMASH it.  You've certainly done the work, and given how you have performed definately have the ability.

• Options

Yeah all this extra time.... What to do but troll forums and well sleep I suppose image see you Saturday and Sunday!

• Options

Whizzmeister - love that for a name. image  Whizzy, I'm really looking forward to hearing about your race. Give me a wave as you lap me on the bike (and probably the run too!). Its been great to see how you people at the pointy end train. 

I'm trying to avoid the weather forecast. It will make me wibble. 

• Options
    Brooko wrote (see)

I had a massage today - I've got a sore "sit bone" and tight hamstring.

Just exactly what did the massuer do to give you a sore 'sit bone'?!!  imageimage

• Options

Ha ha....as soon as I pressed submit I realised how that may sound image

I had hoped that my quick exchanghaven Whizz had hidden it..should have known better image

The masseur gave me a good pummelling and advised some stretching.

It wasn't one of "the other kind" of parlours !!

• Options

Wibble!!!!???!!!!

Taped up my sadle as the new one still hasn't arrived, looks like I will be riding a bike held together with gaffer tape.

Gladys - I'll be camping with out electicity so will have a the gas stove on first thing for tea/coffee and toasted bagels.

How do weather forecasts change so much in a day. Whizz - surely the weather isn't such an issue for you as you're racing the other age groups rather then the clock like most of us.

Brooko - not sure I'd be letting my physio near my sit bone.

• Options

Glad to see the normality of the taper season has hit this thread. It was sounding far too serious earlier.

I mowed the lawn.

• Options

Should we have a list of Name and Numbers to help out the stalkers and supporters?

Full Distance

Scuba Trooper - Number 410 - Wave 2

Half

• Options

My taper time is being filled with decorating not sure it’s the best activity. Also did a 45min run and 1hr open water swim yesterday. Easy days from now on, plenty of stretching and a physio session this morning.

Weather forecasts seem to be settling on showers and not too warm, I could live with that.

• Options

I couldn't resist. Its time to Tapir, when it get to much during taper youy have to google Tapir.image

/members/images/536057/Gallery/2011-03-23-meet-the-tapir_(2).jpg

• Options

Still racing the clock ST and I want too be hitting Howe hill the speed I have been hitting it in training about 54 mph towards the bottom.... Every little helps!

• Options

Things to do with a Tapir

You can take it shopping and buy it shoes

Their taste is appalling so dont let it choose

Take it to the cinema to watch a movie

I took one once, it was kind of groovy

He might like the amusement arcade

We went last year (he paid)

A sunny walk in the countryside would be nice

Avoid fields of cows if you want my advice

Talking of place you might want to avoid

We were kicked out of Sainsburys (Aisle 3 destroyed)

It wasn’t a pleasant experience at the day we went to seaside

The donkeys were traumatised when he went for a ride

I’m not convinced a restaurant would be good

Tapirs are well known for being fussy with food

You could try a circus  but I think thats been done

If none of that works just Swim Bike Run    J

• Options

morning all - wibble image   inhaled some fluff and had a coughing fit last night, so this morning have an irritated throat and the tapir is whispering in my ear that's it's going to turn into a full-blown chest infection by the weekend imageimage bah!

Full Distance

Fraggle - No 222 - Wave 1

Half

• Options

Its quite worrying that Meldy isn't even tapering and she still comes up with that stuff??? image

• Options

Hee hee! Nice one Meldy.

Tapir rhymes with fear but to train now is sheer

desperation.

A tapir eats the ants you might have in your pants;

relaxation.

54mph is a pretty impressive plunge, whizzkid. Chapeau!

• Options

This morning's forecast is looking much better than it was looking yesterday evening; if only they could make their minds up a bit. Anyway:

Full Distance

Cheggars - Number 443 - Wave 2

Half

• Options

I wish the weather would make its mind up.  If its raining so be it but FFS one way or the other.

Nearly there image

Really looking forward to this weekend, im hoping to arrive at the campsite early doors on Saturday, 8am at the latest.  I have a large pirate flag which ill hang on my tent, look for a black Ford KA.

Anyone after any last minute advice, wibbles etc im happy to help.  Im not very fast but have done enough to know the ropes and probably all the wildest questions you can think off.

• Options

Full Distance

Barley - 388 - Wave 2

Half

• Options

Full Distance

Barley - 388 - Wave 2

Brooko - Number 447 - Wave 2

Half

• Options

Barley - thanks of the offer for help / advice.  The support (and banter) here has been great.  I've learned a lot.  Really looking forward to meeting you all.

I think I am ok at the moment....(famous last words !). 

My plan is to keep things simple and (try to) be decisive

Swim - trunks underneath wettie, lots of anti run stuff round neck and ankles

T1 - change into cycle shorts (I know I lose time, but whenever I have swam in my tri-suit / shorts I have come out soaking and cold - too risky to change) and cycle top.  Have arm warmers in back of top just in case get cold together with some food !  Will probably stick on a very lightweight gillet which will give me a bit of warmth for the first couple of hours and also cover for any rain.

Have special needs bag with rain jacket, some cake, spare tube and co2.  Hopefully won't need....but just in case it really p!sses down.

T2 - change into running stuff (again, a bit of time lost, but going for comfort).  Have clean socks available, but probably won't use unless I have got wet).  Will also have some sweets (Haribo Tangfastics !)

Have special needs bag with warmer run top and arm warmers - just in case.

Plan for the swim is survive !  Plan for the bike is to pack saddle bag with tube, co2, tyre levers, small pump.  Use bento box for some "treats" and jersey pockets for a some gels / bars.  Will try to take steady and pace without getting too excited.  No huge plans for the run other than survive and be patient.

My summary thoughts are - don't rely on Special needs, and plan / hope not to use it....accept the time loss in transitions....I know all the time losses add up, but priority 1 is complete...I want to do myself justice (I think / hope I have done the work) but as a first timer this is unknown territory !

Would welcome any thoughts !!

PS - does this post win a prize for being the longest ramble ever !

PPS - abuse welcome, and probably deserved !!

• Options

Brooko - I went for the complete change option in both T1 and T2 at Lanza as a pre-caution. Yes, a small amount of time was lost, but over the entire day it didn't amount to much. However, next time I don't think I will - just too much faffing and too many things to go wrong!

• Options

Thanks Raf....I am a real faffer...for my first triathlon my transition bags looked like I was going away on holiday...I thought I was clever having every option.

Quick question...would you leave helmet on bike, or pack in transition bag ?

I like the idea of leaving on bike as potentially could "keep moving" and put arm warmers on as I move and also less to have in the bag.

• Options
    Brooko wrote (see)

Full Distance

Barley - 388 - Wave 2

Brooko - Number 447 - Wave 2

whiz - number 78 - wave 1

Half

• Options

Brooko, worth checking but at many races you dont get your special needs bag back at the end.

Do you need that stuff in special needs?  

Carry 2/3 Co2 and 2 spare tubes with you, maybe leave 3rd spare tube in SN if you want the comfort?  If youve got a cycle top and gillet will you need a rain jacket as well

I'll be racing in trisuit and arm warmers.

• Options

Brooko, there are lots of ways you can do it but the important thing is that you feel comfortable, its your race, if you spend 10 mins extra changing etc but your mind is relaxed then its a big positive.  Mental prep/state before and during the event will count for a lot.

Have you thought about what youre going to do when you go through the inevitable low periods miles 70-80? on the bike, first half of the run.  Prepare yourself for this and practice positive thoughts etc.

• Options

Thanks mates !  In terms of special needs I have a couple of chums coming to watch, I was going to ask them to watch from the special needs station so they can look after my bag.  The race pack suggests this is allowed...and (you are right) that unless you have people looking after a bag you have no chance of getting it back.  I do however think you are right I probably need to trim down that element to bare essentials (a) in case my mates bugg3r off (b) my mind will tell me if it is there to use it even though I probably won't.

The positive thought process is a really excellent point, and I'd pinpointed mile 70(ish) on the bike as a nasty time.  Strangely I'm less worried about the run as I think I can break it down into smaller chunks, e.g. first aid station, first half lap, first time see mates, first lap (that's 6 miles done).  I also read somewhere about dedicating each mile to thinking about someone - I guess as well as all the positive thoughts it's useful to have some distractions to take away the negative.

I'm sorry I am so dull, and such a faffer !  In real life I can be quite a laugh image

Thanks again for all the (magnificent, valued) support

• Options

I think 70-80 miles should be about 2nd time up Howe Hill and back to henley for the start of the last lap ? I think the worst bit (mentally) might well be the hill at the end of the fairmile followed by the long drag up to the Nettlebed roundabout.  (in fact I hate all the roads that lead up to that Nettlebed roundabout image )

• Options

Barley - Will they let you into the campsite as early as 8am? Their website says 12 would be good if they did as I'd get there early too. Was going to call them in the morning to see if they still had spaces for Friday night, I also ask if I can book in early of Saturday morning.

As Brooko has said thank you all for support and banter over the last few months. Looking forward to racing with you and a few beers after/Monday.