PSOF Championships 2014 - Ironman France

Comments

• Cupcake. wrote (see)

As various people have said over the years, whether you think you can complete or think you can't, you're probably right

Definitely agree with this!  My experience if IM is a lot smaller than many folk on here - tried one and DNF'd.  I didn't have a big endurance background going into IM, but many folk don't and still complete.  The one main lesson i took from my DNF was that if i'm 100% honest with myself, I didn't think I was going to finish, and I didn't.  I would say it even affected my training, such that when I was struggling, it made me give up rather than push on.  I concentrated on some of the stuff I was doing well at, and not so much what I found hard, so consequently (an unsurprisingly!), i didn't improve where I needed to.   This might all sound a bit negative, but I don't mean it too.  What i'm saying is, you MUST believe you can do it, then back that belief up with the right training.  Even though I DNF'd, the IM race was one of the best days of my life.  Funnily enough, on the day I had a much better belief in myself, and even though the clock was telling me I wouldn't make the bike cut off, I gunned it on the flats to try and make up time and you couldn't have wiped the smile off my face!  I loved it.

It is okay to be nervous and scared, but believe in yourself, train hard, work on the stuff you're not so good at and defo get a mentor who can give you helpful advice and a kick up the arse.  Your IM journey will be awesome image

• I really like the idea of a mentor! Does anyone fancy being the poor soul who has to help drag my sorry arse through this??? I'm down in Kent is there is anyone that way willing to go for bike rides?

• Ginger! I cant mentor (mostly cause I have no experience and I will definitely need a guiding light occasionally) BUT I'm moving to Kent in October AND  I can change a tyre image 

We can keep each other going through the winter!

• Lee that is exactly how I feel. A bit nervous but I do believe in myself! I made a list of my weaknesses and how exactly I'm going to improve them. I swear I can do this just get a little wobbly sometimes! 

• Ohhh what area are you moving to? I'm just outside Ashford. Wow.. my own personal RAC saviour! image

• Guys n gals ... chill and relax, at this moment in time 9as a wise person once wrote) this is exercise, not training

The mentors/mentees thread i have no doubt will be resurrected later in the year, most of those willing to volunteer are currently with a group or individuals already and are working towards this years goal

Have a good read of anything you can find, look at the various training plans and find one that you think you can work with, read this years threads, get involved and get a feel for how it all works

As Barlos has already wisely said, it is mroe than possible at this stage to be ready for IM in 12 months time but dont get tooooo carried away with 15 hr weeks for a little while yet, trust me you will become bored quite quickly !

• I have a training log (not training plan) that has received many compliments.  If you're interested in seeing for yourself if you agree, mail me at PSOFKit (at) Hotmail (dot) co (dot) uk I can send you a copy

• I like the idea of a mentor.  As a newbie, I expect I'll be requiring all the guidance I can lay my grubby little mitts on.

• As some have said ... dont get too hung up on training plans at this moment in time ... or you run the risk of loosing motivation when it is most needed (we have all been there)

Yep have a look at them ... there are loads out the ranging from 16-30 weeks (even though i think 30 weeks is far to long for a structured plan) - looking at a few will mean you can work out how to adapt them for your own needs - dased on shift, family life and life in general 

Most plans do tho recomend you are at a set level of fitness before you start them - in order  to get the most out of them so keep this in mind - once you get this season out the way (whay ever your focus) I'd rocomend moving into a more generic exersize period prior to your actual trainng plan. Mix it up, do other endurance exersize aswell such as rowing, versa,weights etc. (you'll sharp get bored with just SBR). also i'd say get some winter hilly mountain baiking in ... this will set you up well whan starting to traing for one of the more Hilly IM - (PS - i'm crap on a bike - as any other Pirate will tell you)

I believ most plans recomend thet you shoud be exersizing for arond 10hrs per week for a period of time befor starting the plan .... so bear this in mind and iase up to the at point and hold it there for a while

Also the plan needs to be right for you ... dont just jump on the Fink band wagon cos that what others do ... yes it works for some, but other have fink'd and failed

Just my thoughts image

• Will, you may not be as good on a bike as other 'disciplines', but you've got a lovely bike!!  image
    If I can sort my knee out, I could be really tempted with this ship!  image

• soooo tempted.

Never done an IM with a sea swim and can only practice in Thames/Lakes. Does that really matter?   

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Bedders - I've swum in the sea three times in the last four years. Once in Mallorca four years ago, March this year and then 3.8k in Lanza. Oh - I had two practice swims out there, I do beg your pardon. Five times. 

• Bedders, the sea makes it more fun. 

I remember Wales from 2011, its was rough, such that people coming out from the practice swim were being spat out onto the beach.  I went in ankle deep to wash my goggles and was dumped on my arse by a big wave.

The swim was quite interesting to say the least, I think about a 10 foot swell when we were in the open sea.  Such that one minute you're stroking into thin air, the next you're cresting the hill into the swell.

It seemed very tough at the time but most peoples overall swim times werent affected. 

Once I got my head around the conditions I loved it, its was such a change from a boring flat lake.

For those concerned, the Wales swim was an exception (tail end of Hurricane Irene), ive done nearly a dozen sea swims and most were pretty flat/calm seas.

• Ginger G

Have you thought about joining the local tri club for bike rides - good company generally and if motivation is an issue it can help.  Also they will know all the routes you can possibly want to help avoid boredom s!  Ashford Tri is your local club from the sounds of it 

• Is anyone going to mention the Jellyfish in Nice?image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

GG - you might also want to look at Trispirit who are based in Ashford - it's an events team that organises a number of local events but they also have quite an active team setup - http://www.trispiritevents.com/TriSpiritTeam/Join-TriSpiritTeam/Tri-Spirit-Team-Membership-Form.html.

I know Liz and Ali who run the business as we have been BTF officials at some of their events and will be officiating at the Brett Tri on the 16th - http://www.trispiritevents.com/the-team.html

• Jellyfish in Nice were prefarable to the Sting Rays at Lanza  image

• I mentioned this was the Pirate race to Suzie on Saturday, She said even wihate hat bike course ? When I said yes she bought me another beer ! 

• JELLYFISH?! Bloody ell. I dunno what I'm scared of more now - them or the bloody descents.  Can someone remind me whose idea it was? So that when I get stung Iknow who to blame? image

Ginger - Strood - not too far for bike meet ups image

• Medic .. i am right in thinking you are Berks way??  There is a good old pocket of us in the area

• Participants:

Barley

Blisters

Cpt.Jacksparra

Cupcake

Ferret

funkin

Garr

GingerG

Goblin Princess

Higher Leap

Hope

Iron SwissBobby

Jamie Tardi

JP Goodboy

Little Sister

MedicGirl

Meldy

Mr Z

OrangeCannon

Raf

WildWill

I am also willing to sort out a pirate hotel... Last time we stayed at the Ibis... Near the station...

i will post later about this..on when I can make some enquiries... I guess le meridien or the Negresco are out...

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Medic .. i am right in thinking you are Berks way??  There is a good old pocket of us in the area

Old being the key word there! image

• Current price is €92 per room ... Will check what dealt I can get

• Bobby, you are a star   image

• I would be most interested in the pirate hotel, do let me knome how you get on and I shall book up image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Thanks Bobby. That's Awesome. 

• Iron SwissBobby wrote (see)

i will post later about this..on when I can make some enquiries... I guess le meridien or the Negresco are out...

You do get a good view of he swim & the run from the top floor of le Meridien!!

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Bobby - how much are the alternative hotels?  I guess people might consider them if they are that much nearer to the finish than the Ibis?  It may be worth presenting an option, if you can be bothered to enquire, I don't want to make more work for you?

• That slog up the hill afterwards was not nice  image