Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Got a cancellation place for Body Balance class which is closest to a yoga/pilates class I can get for free so wanting to make it a regular Monday night thing. 15 min gym bike and 10 min x-trainer beforehand as a warm up. 

I think I missed the first week of Fink half plan, it was supposed to be started this week wasn't it? Swim and run tomorrow? We'll see...

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Ah, I am ahead of myself. 16 week programme start 18th of May so I do have couple of weeks to get back into it. 

EP - Well done on the swim!

• Ribby Hall Sprint Tri.

Up at 6.30am, quick breakfast and off to pick Horse up then we were on our way.

Arrived at the venue at 7.40am and went to register  and racked bike and set up my gear then realisedI had left my race belt at home, so had to buy one at Sweatshop on site shop, we were off at 9.20 so had plenty of time to mill about and chat to other competitors, bumped into Andy Holgate and had a good chat ( more about him later)

Time to go to the pool for briefing and pick up timing chip, into the water and I was off.I was in a lane with 2 ladies and they decided that I should go first, this was'nt a good idea as my swim was crap so I let  one of them pass me after 4 lengths and then with 2 to go I let the other one pass, my swim time was 11 mins  swim 400 mts  ( not good enough) imagebut the sun was shining.image

T1 Decided to bike in the gear that I swam in, Tri top & Tri shorts so only had to put on shoes, socks, gloves and helmet.

Bike, Out of the complex for half a mile and right turn (the only one on the course) then it was over a railway bridge and out onto the country lanes which were mostly flat and managed to ride 22-24mph to about half way then turned into the wind which dropped my speed to 13-14mph but kept plugging away Then Andy Holgate flew past me, (He was really going for it) dropped down onto the small ring and spun it out for a while, turned again wind eased so went to gear up to the big ring but it would'nt engage no matter what I tried so with only a couple of miles to go decided to stick with it to the finish. off the bike 39 mins and felt good.image  10mile 16.2 mph avg.

T2 Just a change of footwear, a quick drink and out on the run.

Run, Set off at a steady pace to get the legs going ( only done 2 bricks since last september) this was a 2 lap run so worked my way into the first lap and felt good, lap 1 done in around 15mins so onto lap 2 tried to pick the pace up and picked a runner in front as a target to catch, caught up after about 4 mins then went for my next target, seem to catch this one quite quick proberbly because they were slowing rather than me getting faster.Into the last K and picked it up and stretched the legs and then it the last turn to the finish to pick up my medal and a well earned drink..Run time 29 mins.image 5K

Overall time 1'22"21. which is a PB by 1.34mins  image

This a great Sprint event which is well organised and marshalled and we had great weather, 

The only downside to the day was Andy Holgate was knocked off his bike a mile from the finish at a roundabout  and finished up being catapulted through a garden hedge  by a car that did not stop, he was badly shaken up and suffered road rash and scratches from the bushes but after a few minutes decided to carry on. there were a few witnesses so hopefully someone got the cars reg number. Andy went on to finish in 1"08. unofficial time. image he's one tough cookie, well done Holgs image

• Durhambiker wrote (see)

The wife was happy with how she did, until the results went up

lol...I know how she feels...I was really pleased with my race until I saw my placing.  In last years race I came last so I did improve by 10 places.  I think there are a lot of commited folk in them now...perhaps the novelty has worn off.  There was about 20 less people in this years race compared to last year.  I just race myself and don't worry about anyone else.

Good Race Razor...although some drivers are clearly d1cks!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    EP - wood boar still the plan but I need to find the belief I can do it so I'll train properly. Tried to get up for a swim this morning but just couldn't. Need tips how to get up earlier to get it done.

Razor - nice race report. You're bit quick on that bike!

Poor Holgs - bloody car drivers.
  • Haahha Razor I know how your wife feels image the East Leake one had a lot of super speedy peeps (that werent me) in it!  Good work on your race - job well done!  Can't get over some drivers - who hits some one as doesn't stop?

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I think some people just try to get away no matter what they've done.

I might very well be at the tail end in my upcoming tri. Just feel so unfit atm.

• Suckitup.....it was DB.s wife. image

The good news is he's ok and his bike is as well image
  • razor - well done image

shocking about holgs but glad he is ok, hope the catch the person that hit him

ok, people that are at the back - this is my natural place, and there is no shame in being at the back, you are still better than the millions that do not enter, being at the back is fine, just be proud of what YOU have achieved and don't compare yourself to others

mikasa - you have to just get out of bed as soon as the alarm goes, don't stretch, don't stop to think, just do it, after a few weeks it becomes natural

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

In 3 weeks time it doesn't matter that much. Just found out that our pool has changed timetables and on Wed + Fri they do lane swimming between 5-7pm. But it's the wrong days for Fink plan...

MC - I know you're right. Just seems so hard atm.

• MC - we can slug it out for last pirate standing!  I have been LPS in two races now I need to keep up the image and all that image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

You can move the days around on the fink plan you know image It even says so in the book.

Must be something in the air at the moment as I struggled to get up this morning and had to have stern words with myself even once I was at the pool. I started with the "just get in the damn water" goal and worked my way from there. Its a good job it was an easy session as it felt anything but image

Onwards and upwards hey, need to run at lunch time today.

• I ran at lunch time!  woo-hoo! 9.18km in 50.09 minutes.

But now my hip and leg hurtsimage 

Tomorrow I have to brave the local pool near work at lunch time...scary!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well done pete!

I went for a little walk and enjoyed the sun. If the weather's still good after work, I'll go for a bike ride.

• ok, I am having a rubbish day training wise as I hardly slept last night, which makes 2 days on a row, so I am pretty tired and grumpy. Didn't get up this morning for turbo/bike session and am going to skip running club tonight as well. Hopefully I am tired enough to sleep well tonight and get up in the morning for a long turbo/bike

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Pete you should feel proud of that I managed a measly 6.18km in 48 mins on my lunch time run.

Now having fun trying to get a new tyre fitted on my bike, went for the new Bontrager tubeless option when I bought it and local mechanics don't want to touch it. Looks like hubby and will have to sort it ourselves. Thankfully shop who sold me the bike have done me a really good deal on the tyres so I have spare if we really mess it up. image

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Great race reports, DB and Razor. A bit scary though ...! Nasty to hear about Holgs, but good to know he is okay.

I didn't swim yesterday as pretty tired after the bike ride on Sunday - weak arms! (they don't hurt, just feel really pathetic ...)

Tri info has arrived for Stratty in a fortnight - large gulp! Silly newbie question - how long will it take to rack my bike and set stuff out? I can't do it more than 20 mins before the start, but have to be a poolside 10 mins before. I suppose if I have cossie on (I'm not doing a tri suit) under a trackie to get there, rack and set out, then I just strip off and get to the poolside?? I'm sure it'll all be obvious when it happens.

I also know what you mean about it being full of other serious competitors - some years the Stratty results look like that, but not others ... hopefully this year there will be a few slower than me ... image

• pippi - so long as you have everything organised racking your bike shouldn't take long. Make sure you know what you are going to need when you get out of the pool and that it is all ready for you.... 

ok - 2 weeks before the outlaw half is the piglet - do I do the piglet as race prep (OW swim, wetsuit, transition practice) or do I use it for a long ride. Given that my long rides have been scarce and I have only 3 weekends left (I am assuming that there is no point in a long ride the weekend before) doing the piglet would only leave me with 2 weekends for long rides

what does the collective wisdom think?

• Do the piglet! Good for race prep!  Consider it a longer training day and push yourself hard on the bike! image  Can you bike to work one of the weeks?  Don't forget you and I are heading out on the 11th...

• can't really bike to work because I have drop the kids off on the way (they won't fit on the bike and I can't drop them early enough to give me time to bike there). Last year I managed biking in some days because OH was made redundant so he was at home and sorting out the kids! certainly can't run to work - it is 18 miles and obviously a worse time problem than biking image

• I am thinking this weekend I should manage to bike on Sunday and Monday. Actually Sunday I am planning an early road bike session and then MTB with OH in the afternoon. Might then be a bit too tired for bike on Monday but we'll see

I need to scout out the southern loop of the outlaw half to figure out where the turns are! Hoping to have time to drive round it at the weekend before attempting to cycle so I don't end up on the A52 or something stupid!

• We can do it 100k on the 11th floating around the shire image