Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Are you dehydrated, MC? to get that 'hungover' feeling?

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

maybe pippi, not sure....

oh, EP - meant to say, expect to go slower on the MTB/hybrid than on your road bike, specially on a rough surface. If you calculate the time it will take based on 8 or 9 mph then you shouldn't be late for work!

Did it! Got out on my road bike, concentrated on unclipping before junctions! Nearly fell off when some dogs barked at me though! Did a couple of laps of a loop that includes a sharp short uphill which I got up fine. Average 13mph which after 3 hours MTBing isn't bad I reckon! 

July is an empty month (apart from Outlaw of course!) Anyone know of any East Midlands events I can do in July? Or beginning of August - we don't go on hols till about the 7th August

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done Schmunks. Rum and raisin ice to celebrate is a good idea.

Good work MC. Not looked at any events after June apart from the 100 mile ride I am doing.

I have cycled, twice up Box Hill and once over Leith Hill, 49 miles in just under 4 and a half hours. Then a walk this  afternoon and cooked and eaten roast dinner.

Now very tired will be going to sleep quite soon.

well done steady image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Great cycling everyone!
  • Well done steady, MC, Schmunks and everyone, Great performances going on.

Not had much chance to check in lately so skimming through trying to catch up, I've also got a lot of catching up to do training wise, I have finished a training course at work so can crack on with it a bit more, day off tomorrow so epic bike ride planned image

Cake, I tried to keep my modelling career on the quiet but it keeps catching up with me?

anyone doing Stratford next week, I can't make it due to work but might swing by as I knock off to say g'day

• As typical in the oil industry, I'm working the bank holiday.  I did another longer run at lunch 9.2km in 50.09 minutes.  I didn't enjoy it until the last kms when I seemed to get in to the grove and I felt like I could continue on longer.

My only worry is that I'm starting to get the tightness in my groin that I got last year which ended up with me in hospital with for a heria op.  Now that I've started regular runs again, I wonder if I'm rubbing against the mesh that they put inside me...and in typical male attitude, I'm going to ignore it for a bit and hope it goes away.

• Tour of the National Forest yesterday.  Nice day for it - did 30k with SuperCaz before she had to bow out gracefully and the rest on my own.  Was doing okay till I got to the second feed station where they had an incorrectly pointing sign image so I headed off following the arrows, they had made changes to the course so didn't think that much about it until I got to Newbold haven and went yeah no this is definitely in the wrong direction.  So I pulled out my map and went arse this is the 100mile course and turned around and headed back to the course - half way back a sheepish looking official pulled me over and went yeah sorry about that you got through before we turned the sign back around - hop in and I will drive you back to the course image

Good points: 

• Hills lots of them, only a few short sharp ones but lots of continuous undulations on the 100k. The hills I struggled on last year I struggled on less image - and my legs weren't exhausted after it, tired but not unduly so.  My legs are fine today so yayayay!
    • I think I got my fuel pretty much right especially with respect to drink - tho' this meant more pit stops - apparently peeing on the bike when you are by yourself is one thing but around other peeps is another thing entirely image Also discovered my tummy doesn't like the HiFive 2:1 - so will be carrying my own sachets on future long events.
    • Am glad I decided just to treat this as training and not a "race" otherwise the detour would've annoyed me more. 
    • I got piratey arrrghhs from skinny old school wiry guy image

All in all not a bad day out - rest day today image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

ButterCup - well done. Shame about the detour.

Bf went mtb'ing but because he wanted to cycle there too, I wasn't really up to it. However, went round the airport on my own, bit faster this time as I knew the route. Only 8.5 miles but average speed 13.5mph. Feel bit tired though, the toothache has taken it's toll over the weekend,been getting up 9am every day and still feeling tired. Antibiotics are starting to kick in now though so hopefully next week will be better.

I called about swimming lessons last Friday but haven't heard back from the person I left a message for,tbh,  my message was bit garbled do will give them another call tomorrow so hopefully get that ball rolling soon too.

Hope everyone's had a nice weekend. We've had fantastic weather and it's been a shame I've not been up to that much.

well done buttercup - you still on for a ride next Sunday? Shall I try to map out a 60 mile route that takes in the Outlaw course but without the A52 bit and a different bit added on instead?

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

EP - training plan starts on Monday 19th May. image It better be ok to be under trained, I feel like I'm starting at the beginning again...

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

image 2 weeks indeed! I won't be doing HR either as I'd probably be walking and pootling on the bike. I'll do what I can. I've not entered Boar yet though, I'll have to see how it goes.

is that the training plan for the wild boar?

I only did 30 mins on my road bike today, but legs felt tired after yesterday. I am going to go for a run in a bit - need to get away from A level marking which is getting depressing seeing as the little darlings obviously didn't revise for the mock examimage

• All good MC image will be there 

ok - might be easier to just do one of the loops twice rather than trying to go somewhere else too, then we get to know the course better. I'll message you via facebook to arrange times etc

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

EP - which program are you going to do?

• MC,   My back is feeling good at the moment, the chiropractor has worked wonders but I am taking it easy with my running sticking to Z2 to get some endurance back,

Well done on the training everyone.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

So tired, after yesterday doing 34 miles on the hybrid bike and then got up and went swimming this morning. Rest day tomorrow as it is Pilates class tonight.

Good training everyone, anything is better than nothing. 

razor - good news about your back

steady - well done on your training, riding off road on hybrids/MTBs is much harder work than road biking image

nothing for me this morning, might go to running club tonight or might just have a proper rest day - depends how much work I need to do at home and how tired I am image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

EP - are you basing it on Intermediate or Just Finish?

I felt bit nauseous today which can be a side effect of the antibiotics. And still feeling totally wiped. Blasted tooth! Can't wait to get home already to rest.