Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Hi all

MrsD good to hear that you are on the mend. 

Cake - hope bookie is getting better

Steady well done on the training and cooking

I am trying to decide what I want vmy main aims to be for next year. Firstly is to complete outlaw half but then...

- full outlaw?

-or team at outlaw and go for a really good swim time

-get cycling up to scratch and try for a 100m sportive to then give me the confidence for full outlaw 2016

My mind keeps swinging between the options....

• Options

TEAM OUTLAW! image I will do the run, MC will do the swim - can we have cyclist anyone? 

• Options

Steady - how about it forthe bike with us?

• Options

Go on with ya Steady - go on, go on, go on image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

OK,  I cannot go fast just steady. I will drop it into conversation with Mr Steady tomorrow after his hospital appointment, but should be OK for doing the bike part.  Who is on the email list for VIP entry for full Outlaw I am not, who is going to hit the PC the minute entries open?

Anyone up for a women only sportive down in Sussex at the Goodwood motor racing circuit, 35/50 or 70 miles. 31st August.

• Options

Hi guys!! Just checking in for a catch up although have been lurking!!

Hope you are all well, sounds like training is going good! Hope you get that 3rd leg covered for Outlaw.

I have 2 weeks until my 1st HIM (non branded event in Fort William).... trying to stay positive as that will help me get through. The swim is my weakest so if I get out alive I should be ok!!!

A few more hard sessions this week as I am off work and then I will be less intense next week (much less) although will be up in FW for the week before and will be going up Ben Nevis via the Carn Mor Dearg arete rather than the tourist path.... No other major plans other than bits and bobs of swim/bike/run before the race.

Then after the race we are off to Skye to hike the Skye Trail for 1 week and wild camp for 6/7 nights. I am tired thinking of it all but sooooo excited too!!! 

Today managed a run with some random hill reps thrown in... a swim of 1500m (pool) and a wee yoga class. Not too shabby. A good day planned tomorrow of a swim bike and run. Easy swim after a tough set today, tempo run and 2hr bike. 

Have decided might go for Outlaw Half next year before full IM late in the season..... Never thought I'd say itimage

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

UltraTriChick, Outlaw Half sold out so you will need to get in via a charity. Fort William for a HIM sounds pretty but tough. If I can do a HIM a week after falling off my bike anything is possible.

• Options

Ah ok Steady... no worries... I'll find something. It was mainly just to have a half in a bit before the full... There are still some options for the full, so I will see for the Half. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful. Based in Scotland but happy to travel down south if necessary. 

I have to say we chose Highland Warrior as a 1st half because the bike is fairly flat. That way if I survive the swim I should cope with the bike not too badly... Frankly the run will be survival mode image.

• Options

Ooh UTC I did a lot of wild camping on skye in my youth. There is a great place down on the elgol road, just before the quarry turn down the track and it takes you to a flat grassy area on the edge of loch slappin. Really nice. 

• Options

Thanks for the info Pete!!! Will definitely keep an eye out for that one!!

• Options

Steady brilliant!!!! You don't need to be fast. My swim will be less than this year's as I pratted about a bit and no time lost in transitions means a little bit extra time for the bike anyway. image

As to entry I will get a link but I am confused about which days the entries open 1 or 2 of September. If  it bid the first I can do it but the 2nd is my first day in a new job and I will be in a meeting. I can always ask my OH to do the entry or forward the email on if necessary for you or sharla to do

And we need as team name!

• Options

ERM assuming Mr steady gives the OK!

• Options

Maths bookie's a lot better she's still under the weather and signed off work but hopefully should be ok soon. image

• Options

Cake. That's good to hear

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good to hear Bookie is on the mend, just make sure the recovery is long enough to prevent a relapse.

• Options

Bah, i thought i had pre-registered for outlaw but didnt get an email for the half so not expecting one for the full either. Think i am going to plump for cotswolds for my first bite at the cherry now anyway.

Good to see some plans for next year, will defo try and come and cheer a bit but no-where is easy to get to from my wilderness of midwales. 

Decent bike and run brick session tonight - 20 miles & 5k in about 1hr40. 

Love the idea if wild camping - might be searching for somewhere myself Sat night as early start for severn bridge half mara on Sunday! 

• Options

MC the preregistration email for the Outlaw would be sent to you wouldn't it? As you were the person who entered us last year.  Tbh I don't know if I would be able to enter us as I don't know how the work arrangements etc are going to be yet.  If he is up and around hubby might be able to do it but Im not sure of that yet.

• Options

Yes I should Get an email I did for outlaw half. I think they are still letting people preregister up until Monday anyway. I had an email today saying entries open on 2nd but probably later in the morning than they did for the half. We can sort out the weekend before who will do the entry?

Steady _ will you be able to do the bike? 

Any witty ideas for a team name?

• Options

• Girls on tour
    • Chicks on tour
    • Outlaw ladies
    • Will do miles for single malt
    • This is a sprint right?
    • Relay distances for a shorter tri
    • Pirate wenches

These are all from top of head and not that great but if it helps with the thinking cap's 

• Options

Thanks cake. image

Back home tomorrow image 

• Options

Outlaw entry opens for pre registered peeps 10am 2nd September.

• Options

Oooh i'll add my training into this thread as im training for my first Tri in Warwickshire on 28th Sept this year.

Ive already done 2 Marathons in the past, 2 Half Marathons &countless other 10k's. Ive never really rode a bike for leisure and my swimming is very poor.

Ive been training now for over 6 weeks and i love the variety as it never gets boring, not like just training for a Marathon. I brought a brand new bike and had one swimming lesson, which was brilliant.

I love the bike and im constantly talking to myself on the way round telling myself how wonderful it is. My swimming is coming on and i can just about do 400m in about 18 mins (i put down 20 mins for the tri, so im happy with that) i did 28 lengths in 30 mins 3 days ago and pulled myself out of the pool wondering how on earth i was going to make it to the showers never mind get on a bike!!!

I did my first proper "Brick" training on Friday and did an hour on the bike followed by 30 mins running. I know it was a bit much to do on my first one but i really wanted to see what i was made of. It took a while for my legs to get into a rhythm but once they did it became easier.

Im off on holiday tomorrow where ill be swimming everyday and running every other but no cycling image. When i get back ill be joining in with Derby Tri Club to get the push and help from a group that i need to improve.

Next year im looking at a Half Ironman but ive not registered for Stafford but i have for Exmoor, which i believe is a tough course. The only problem is im away when they become live and the cost may be too much.

I love this sport and get itchy on no training days. I just wish id dont it sooner. I was advised to keep a blog on my training and thoughts which i have. Be good to look back on next year and when i do a full Ironman i can then laugh at the short training distances i was doingimage

• Options

hi all

welcome pipram. 

there are loads of other half iron distance events, the wild boar in market bosworth might be worth looking at for next year - it is in the East Midlands so fairly local to you and fairly cheap. There is also the beaver 

back from hols, doing all the visiting inlaws/parents and food shopping stuff today. Woke with a headache so didn't do the planned long run, so will have to do that in the rain tomorrow

• Options

I've been lurking on this thread but ain't had much to say as all triathlon stuff has gone out of the window with marathon training.

Oh yeah team name...flippin' fast fillies...very aggressive girls in nice attire? But don't use the acronyms. 

• Options

morning all

pete - which marathon are you doing? I am sure you have said before but I have a bit of a sieve-like memory at times!

I went for a run yesterday evening, all going well till about 5 miles in my left calf/achillies area started hurting. I think it is mainly tight calf muscles rather than an injury as such so off to find the foam roller! probably due to all that hiking in the Alps...

• Options

I'm doing loch ness.  I was really panicing a month ago as I couldn't seem to get beyond 12 miles, but saturday morning I did a 20 miler.  It was mostly grit and determination as my route is very hilly, but I did it and I'm now more confident.  It's my first one so I'd like a sub 5 hour finish, but actually I'll just be happy with a finishers medal and some short bread...

• Options

Pete first one I'd think about the acheaviement of fineshing first and st*ff the time. Sure to love it. image

Ay up Pip *waves*

If mrs Digger is about can you pass a message on to mr Digger please? Heard he's left a message for me on farsebook but not been able to get a internet signal this weekend but been unable to reply. Will try again tonight but feel free to pass on my work e-mail if needed best way to get hold of me anyway as never leave the place. image

• Options

hi all

4 mile run/walk today and calf/achillies tight but ok. Have left a message for the massage lady to book me in!

Pete - like cake says, don't worry about time, just have a goal of finishing then you won't end up being disappointed or anything on your first one.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Pete, I heard that Loch Ness is downhill after 8 miles.

More team names to consider

Team Incredible
    Screaming Divas
    Fusion Girls

Flipping fast fillies may make us sound quicker than I think I can pedal.

• Options

lol Steady!  I think it's mostly down hill except for a pimple at 5 miles and a 2 mile molehill at 18 miles, but everyone else tells me that it really hilly.  They don't know where I live!

Hey Maths...have you started your new job yet?