Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• pete - I start next week image

• We are tri-ing

Girls that tri

You just got chicked

I am not very good at the witty names thing!

• Realised over the weekend that the GNR is now less than 2 weeks away, and also realised that, unless you count a bit of angry flailing about in a generally forwards direction after the Bamburgh swim, I haven't done any running since the Ullswater Tri. There have been reasons, mainly a series of little niggles that left me suspecting that any attempt at running was going to result in injury. Annoying seemed fine upon arrival in Spain, the land where it is impossible to fall in love with going for a run, but carrying diving kit down a big hill wearing crap sandals knackered my feet again.

So I figured as all seemed to feel ok, I should get out for a run. Having do no running for 8 weeks, I decided the best course of action was to ease myself into it by doing 8.5 miles. I'm sure that's how the experts tell you to do it. Nowt for ages, then go out for a long run straight away. I did survive though, and although a bit stiff today I'm alive and feel like I might actually be able to run again! Short recovery swim tonight seemed to help, so the plan now is a few short runs, with another long one this week. The GNR is also much flatter than the route I did yesterday, so that'll help!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Girls that tri is a name I could go with.

• I'm down with that image small run last night - small run tonight - found the mojo again image

• Let's go with that then image

another run for me this morning. I am still doing run/walk and will till at least after York Marathon, but this morning made the run sections longer and it felt so much harder, but good. So I will call that a tempo run image

sports massage on my legs at lunchtime, and the lady that does it doesn't hold back at all!!image so maybe an afternoon on the sofa/playing board games with the kids

• Hi All,

Newbie here

Hopefully I've found the right place to jot down my thoughts and hopes for completing my first sprint triathlon next year.

Bit of context, 28. previously played a lot of football (at an ok standard) but have spent the last 24 months getting more and more injured as a result. I've taken the decision that it's a waste of time picking up these knocks and getting less and less fit after spending 3 months on the sideline at a time.

So i'm hoping this is a little lower impact.

I started swimming in an effort to retain some fitness after my latest ankle ligament injury and really enjoy it - i find it really peaceful. I've been doing 1250m every Monday and Wednesday ( i used to swim for a club when i was younger and it's all coming back to me).

Since then I've dusted off the fitness bike I've got in the garage and I've done a few 12ks on that. 

Once i'm happy with my ankle i'll be starting up couch to 5k.

So in september my plan will be swim 2500m a week, cycle twice a week 40 minutes a time and run twice a week on the couch 2 5k app.

I've also booked a 10k run in November.

There's also the very real possibility that this is all part of my latest monthly fad, but, with this forums support i'm hoping to go all the way. Still need to buy a road worthy bike though.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Welcome rpitchfo

Sounds like you have a good start with being a swimmer. I had an ankle ligament injury back in 2000, was on crutches for a month, so understand that you will need to take it nice and steady in getting fit. I am looking at doing either a 5k or 10k in early December.

Relay team name has been decided  - Girls that Tri.

Buttercup, glad you found your mojo, mine is around but I am making it have a rest for another day or two.

MC enjoy your massage, it is a good hurt.

• image Ay up  rpitchfo Welcome to the mad house.

Durham Your love the GNR and it's going to get you to the end with the support and general silliness of the local's and other runner's but just in case have you throught about defering if it's not quite happening at the moment? If it was me would just go feck and do it anyway but I'm not the brightest tool in the box sometimes. imageimage 

• out of curiosity; when do events start being published for 2015? I'm trying to have specific dates and events in mind to target but i cant really find any that have been published yet. It's probably because this season hasn't finished yet but i want to be ready for registration.

• Depends on the race to be honest some event's company's plan it in advance so they can get the odd bit of cash form people to tide them over winter but for a lot of races of sprint distance they won't be able to book the area yet. Roughly where are you in the uk? bet someone will be able to tell you about a gem that's near you. image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Rpitchfo, what distance are you looking for? and roughly where in the country? I am down south, so that may not be any use to you.
    Some of the HIM races have sold out for next year already. Could be worth looking at races that took place this year for the when and where as they are normally held the same time each year, then look at the websites to see when entries open.

• hey steady - did you get the email today from OSB confirming pre-registration?

massage was very sore, very tight everything in my legs and lasted for longer than the 30 mins that I thought it was going to!

• Thanks for the replies. Sprint is the distance next year. East Midlands, Nottinghamshire way. I liked the look of the midland series.
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC , yes I did get the email.

• rpitchfo - I am Nottinghamshire too. I have done a few of the sprints round here - Southwell, Lincoln (David Lloyd), and Woodhall Spa. Sign yourself up to help out at the feedstation at Outlaw next year and you will get to meet a lot of people and have some fun image

• Cake, I'm fairly confident I'll make it through. Deferring hasn't crossed my mind as a viable option. My general fitness and stamina is much better than when I did it 2 years ago, so I'm sure I'll get through. And as I say, the run I did the other day was on a much tougher route. Another long run this weekend, a few short runs during the week and my legs should be alright. And as you say. the local support is fantastic so that'll carry me through!

• Did another 50 lengths last night - was feeling really good and happy with my progress. Then the girls swimming club got into the pool (all around 13/14 years old) and blizted me in their warm up. Confidence shattered

The distance is no longer a problem now though, so i'll work on my times.

Rest day today, fitness bike tomorrow.

• rpitchfo, I got some great tips from a young club swimmer, he looked about 10, he told me I need to bend my elbows and point my toes more, its worked too

All that money spent on lessons outdone by a 10 year old image

• took the kids swimming this morning - well I was swimming in the proper pool while they played on the slides/wave machine. Till they got bored and swam with me for a bit, 13 year old decided to race me - me doing fc him doing breaststoke and he won    image   nice to know that he thinks I am a good swimmer though image it is not often a parent gets a compliment from a teenage son

• So took the advice above and i've looked at this years events to see what i'd like to have a go at.

Is this list of events too many in a year or does it seem sensible. All with the intention to try an olympic tri by the end of the season.

Type Date Location Distance Sprint -Dualathalon 22/03/2014 Clumber Park 5k(run)-20km (bike) -2.5km(run) Sprint - Tri 27/04/2014 Lincoln 400m/22k/5k Sprint - Tri 18/05/2014 Southwell 400m/17.6k/5k Sprint - Tri 29/06/2014 Woodhall 400m/24k/5k Swim 26/07/2014 Nottingham 1500m Sprint - Tri 14/09/2014 Southwell 400m/17.6k/5k Olympic - Tri 28/09/2014 Cambridge 1500m/38k/10k Run 18/10/2014 Clumber Park 10k Run 08/11/2014 Sherwood pines 10k
  • hmm hasn't formatted very well - sorry if that's impossible to read.

essentially one duathalon.

4 sprint triathalons

1 swim

1 olympic triathalon

and finish with a couple of runs.

• Would have been aiming for Outlaw next year, but I'm being sensible and sticking with a half next year. The wife is now quite keen on doing a full iron after her success at Bamburgh, despite saying she wouldn't consider one, but I think she'll wait until I'm ready.

Just need to decide which half to go for.

• Did 20km on my fitness bike today (at varying cadences) - took me 35 minutes 20 seconds keeping at between 80-90rpm. Never really cycled properly though so have no ideas how that compares to the real thing. Didn't find it too tough so i assume it's harder on the road.

Rest day tomorrow might go swimming on sunday - start up the running next week.

• well done rp

5 mile run for me and a little trip to visit supercazimage

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I tried that running lark again. Made some improvement but the hip started to hurt afterwards so not happy.

OW swim in the morning, taking a member from cycle club for her first ever OW swim.

• Hi Rpitch- your plan looks good but be prepared to be flexible, i find if i plan too much something inevitably goes pear shaped and you have to adjust! Sometimes i hear about more events I want to squeeze in and end up skint or injured! 

Not good to hear about the niggles Steady and MC.

Interesting about the kids giving swim tips, i wish someone could advise me how to speed up. 

have been getting lots of crampy calfs, was reading another thread about calf strain which advised staying in the saddle to bike so wondering if my increase in bike sessions could be to blame? (Not that i get out of the saddle much). 

saw a pirate at the severn bridge half last Sunday but was past me in a flash! 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

OW swim done and friend enjoyed it. 1500m done in the wetsuit which felt restrictive the whole time.

Had a wibble about Outlaw bike but told myself to get some PMA in my head. I have time to do the distance just need to continue working on speed.