Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Depends on the pirate if it's Silient assassine the best way is with a snog.

If it's Barlist it's with a court order. Which pirates are playing? image

• Iron pingu and nurse ratched. I hope I see them at the start because I worry I haven't trained enough and I'll be a zombie by 20 miles and the last 6 will be grit and sweary muttering. 

• all that talk of extra energy was short lived. exhausted. keeping at it though, another 50 lengths tonight.

Also looking around for my first road bike. Does anyone have any opinions of the giant defy 3 2014?

• Fab report DB, logistics put me off GNR too. 

Rpitchfo - you have ramped up your training so fatigue is inevitable. No idea on bikes but i would say sit on loads before you decide. 

Good luck Peteinthehills- grit and swearing are compulsory i think...... Certainly featured highly on Sunday when i did the flanders field marathon. Managed a weak yarrrr when i spotted a flash of yellow and black and wondered how the hell anyone could do a whole bloody marathon after a mammoth swim and bike. 

• Pete - both are lovely and likely to have whiskey image Hello would normally suffice! image

• peteinthehills wrote (see)

Iron pingu and nurse ratched. I hope I see them at the start because I worry I haven't trained enough and I'll be a zombie by 20 miles and the last 6 will be grit and sweary muttering. 

Pete as MrsD said both sounds lass's Nursey has a thing for good single malt so if you struuggle at any point ask her for a dram.

Nice one Camlo image

Right racing this weekend and got to think look and hard about what to pack. Should I go for clumberland sausages or just normal ones?

• rpitchfo - I have no idea about bikes, but TFN in Nottingham and Leisure Lakes Bikes in Breaston are both good shops - the most important thing is to get one that fits you properly, after that it is all about the engine (well, unless you are trying to win something, then it is mainly about the engine)

good luck to all you mad lot at Enigma this weekend

• Thanks Mathschick, i work in nottingham so ill check them out.

got a run in tonight.

• Great stuff guys, keep up the good work

Popped in for a sweaty spin session tonight

• yay got 2 swims in today! A 2000m in 57mins early doors then a massive 4 lengths with my 5 yr old who was more interested in trying to dive bomb me..... 

Crash - good to see you!! 

off to google enigma...... 

• back to the Thursday night swim today image

I think it is called enigma - anyway it is a 24 hour team running thing, I think there are laps of about 10k and they take it in turns and keep going for 24 hours. I will think of them as I snuggle up in bed on Saturday night. But then, I will be up at 5 on Sunday for a long run, so maybe I am just as crazy image

• sorry, it is called equinox http://www.equinox24.co.uk/  getting old, the memory doesn't work so wellimage

• image It's going to be fun.

Feeling bad through we are moving all our funiture into the new place in birmingham next weekend so ton's of work to be done at home and I'm swanning off on a jolly. image Just going to have to pull my weight next week and finesh packing.

• Long first week - all I got done was the cycling - good running Pieces of Cake!!

• 6k run this morning. Starting to enjoy running alot more as the pain in my knee is less painful. Got a patella strap yesterday and i can honestly say it worked wonders this morning. 5th run since the injury and felt good after 6k so now i can look to lenghten the runs. 

Its great when you start to enjoy fitness again. 

• Ok so not run this week as legs still tired from the mara but thought the bike would be fine. Did 30 miles but it took 2 hours of serious effort. Is it possible to build from this base up to an IM next year? 

Glad your strap appears to help BS, would you need to wear it every time or would you be able to wean yourself back off? 

Hope you are enjoying the jolly Cake, you will need to do some serious reparation without any hint of moaning now! 

Buttercup - at least you did something, it will settle though?

• Currently debating whether or not to bother entering the Last of the Summer Tri in Holmfirth next month. Been a bit of a crap season this year and I'm not sure whether I want to squeeze one last sprint in and hope for the best. This year I've completely failed to get my fitness sorted to anywhere near the extent I needed to, failed to get in enough open water practice and failed to shift enough (if any!) weight. So it's been a kick up the backside to pull my finger out and get sorted for next year.

Next year my goals are going to be very much the same as they were for this year, rather than looking at stepping up to full iron distance. I'm going to pick out a half to work towards as my main goal for the year, and all I know so far is that it won't be the Castles Challenge at Bamburgh, as I was left feeling somewhat disenchanted with that one after the cock-up with the swim and the complete lack of any sort of effort to make up for it. Shame really as it's a brilliant location.

Also considering having another bash at Keswick, with some training geared towards "running" up bloody big hills and back down the other side without dying. I seem to recall dying 3 or 4 times on the way up from the effort, and at least 17 times from losing my footing on the way back down.

Planning to get on the case properly with TrainerRoad and the turbo over the autumn and winter months to build up a solid cycling base, ready to start building the miles up once we get into next spring. Another aim for next year is to start getting out on some long rides, possibly up to century rides. Got a new bike coming at the end of the month with our cycle to work scheme (even though I can’t actually cycle to work due to having to take my work van home…), which will be geared up with panniers. This will be used for camping trips rather than using my mountain bike, but mainly with the intention of doing away with a big weekly shop using the car. I’ll instead plan to shop 2 or 3 times per week, using the bike.

Also been thinking back to the old mentoring thread that was on here and wondering if anyone’s interested in doing something similar. I reckon it’d do me good to keep someone up to date with my plans and what I’ve actually managed to do, with them questioning why I’ve not been doing what I intended, and also someone to bounce ideas off. If anyone’s up for that then give me a shout. I’d be more than happy to do the same for anyone else.

• Got a run in this morning and I've found a running buddy to do sunday mornings with. It's so much easier running(/walking) with someone else.

So today draws an end to my 4th week. 5lbs lighter, feeling fitter. Onwards and upwards.

• Durham for the running up bloody grat big hill's part have your throught about some fell running it's fun as well. Most races appear on here and sure there will be some around your way that arn't to bad to set you off. The mentoring thread sure will be back for 2015 in some guise surpised no-one has started one already.

The weekend was brilliant will stick up a race report when got the time. MrD enjoyed himself Mrs I think. Only bad thing to say about the wekend was I don't think I was good enough by my own standards for the running but hay ho. imageimage

• well done cake and your team. I am sure you were good enough.

I spent yesterday rushing about manically and managed to get 20 miles run/walk into the day somehow. I have been starving all day today image

• well done Cake and everyone on their weekends training. Didnt do much this weekend, managed a 4 mile run on saturday morning then watched the bristol half as brother in law was racing, he managed a 1:29 which he was happy with.

Then had run club tonight, gentle warm up then 3 minutes repeats with 2 minute rest 

• Fab weekends then all and esp for your 20 MC. 

Bristol - i would imagine most people would be well chuffed with a 1:29 half?? 

Did a swim recce yesterday with Aber tri club in prep for next weekend sprint- i was last out but felt ok so thats fine by me! Hubby persuaded me to join him for bike hill reps tonight- managed 3 but chickened out of another attempt as legs were screaming  each time and i was puffing like a train. Ditched the bike and ran 5k but calf was cramping and i was pooped. Not sure i am going to survive the sprint let alone attempt an IM in 2015?! 

• Camlo everyone has bad day's or setback's I wouldn't worry to much. If your not used to the hill rep's your going to find it hard going at first, you still did 3 of them which is nothing to sniff at.

• Hello all.

I'm focusing on sprint distance triathlons rather than IM, Triple IM, run around the world with no shoes on type of races.

Weekend after next I'll be competing in The Last Tri which is local to me http://www.trimaxevents.com/#!the-last-tri/c1su5

Is anyone else doing this?

Wouldn't mind trying to fit another one in this year but can't find many events this late in the season!

Hope everyones trianing is going well.

• BamBam I'm just down the raod in stocksbridge but not playing that day Durhambiker might be playing depending on stuff. Afraid your going to struggle up north to find that many tri's with the weather from Oct onwards. If your willing to trevel are are a few more down south but going to be mostly running races.

Are you all set for the tri?

• It's Last of the Summer Tri in Holmfirth I'll be doing. The missus entered us yesterday so it's been decided for me

• Cake - the one I'm doing is in the South West, they just have very similar names! I'm as prepared as I'm going to be. Did a duathlon the other weekend as a warm up for it. Swim is going well, hoping for sub 6 mins for the 400m, bike is hilly but should be able to get a respectable time for that then its the run that lets me down.

Durhambiker - no backing out for you now! Good luck and most of all enjoy it.

• image D'oh! Sorry was a bit knackered when read your post. Good luck mate.

Durham always go with what the missus say's you know it makes sence. image

• Didn't know there was even an option of not going with what the missus says!