Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• She's fine, don't go pandering to her Maths image

• Well done Mrs D on your sprint....image

Woke up this morning at bird fart (4.30) and couldnt get back to sleep so at 6am I got up and decided to get the bike out and go for a pootle. I rode up to the Bolton IM course and rode up the infamous Sheephouse Lane, but the opposite way,It seemed as if I had a head wind which ever direction I turned, in the past I have never managed to ride all the way up without a short walk but today going the other way I made it  image total mileage 33 miles with 1670 ft of elevation, legs were trashed when I got to the top but had a great long decent max 28mph and that was scrubbing the brakes to kill some speed. (wimp)  image

• MrsDigger aka sicknote wrote (see)

She's fine, don't go pandering to her Maths image

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

schmunks - still glad you went along to support her??

razor - well done image

• She knows I quite like her, because I force her to hug me image

Top bombing Razor! Inspirational as always image

Maths - has the weekend been nice? 

• Sweaty hugs are the best hugs image

Well done Razor!

MrsD - yes it has! Yesterday I went spinning then swimming then met a friend for lunch. Today I went biking with the kids, nice to spend time with them in the sun, then supermarket shopping (boring bit). Been feeling a bit sick this afternoon though so not swimming tonight, don't want to barf in the pool - I'd be too embarrassed to go back!

• mathschick wrote (see)

schmunks - still glad you went along to support her??

If I could swim as quick as her when we are in the lake on Tues, I would push her under image.  Instead I will wee in front of her just before she sets off image

And 'no hugs' are the best.  Hugs are f'ing awful things image

• I dislike hugs also.  This is my personal space.  Please do not enter it.  Although, I think I did hug two people after Inverness.  Clearly out of my mind.

Ran today, bit longer distance...just think this time last year I'd just done a hilly half marathon and 30mile of killer hills in the Ming duathlon.  I couldn't even do the first bit now.

ah well...only 6 weeks to get in to shape for some naked saunas with the in-laws...image

• Nice cycling Razor, always a great feeling to clean a climb that's bested you in the past, even if it feels like your lungs are trying to escape through your arse when you reach the summit (or is that just me?)

Did a couple of hours on the bike yesterday, combination of cross and headwinds on the way out made it interesting, some nice fast bits. Max of 40mph on a nice twisty downhill. Some nice cycling on the way back as the wind helped us to fly along.

4 mile run done tonight. Normally do my runs at about 11:00/mile as I know I'll be going slow at Outlaw, but tonight initially I just felt slower and crapper than usual. Until Strava told me my first split pace was 10:30/mile so I just carried on doing what felt comfortable. Overall average pace (including the half mile slog up a hill) was 9:47/mile. The 10:02 pace up the hill did get me sweating a bit but enjoyed myself. Really glad, as over the weekend I've not been feeling it at all and getting quite worried about Outlaw, and now I feel awesome again (well, less shit). Also made a proper start on my fundraising efforts at work, so gotta get it done!

• Nice one DB, its nice to just let yourself go on the run sometimes, I've not used my HR monitor for the last couple of weeks and just run on feel and my avg pace is a minute faster than my Z2 pace.

I enjoyed the bike ride but was pissed off with the bloody wind, lots of cyclists out on the Bolton IM course. Trying to arrange a day with Horse to ride up to Windermere, but will get the train back, it  should be arround 90 miles.

• This wind recently is doing my head in, seems like it's been hanging around for months now. Ride out to Windermere should be nice. I've got a 90-ish mile loop planned from Durham, up to Hexham, across to Alston, and then back. Quite hilly though, around 8,000ft of climbing. Very scenic though

• Best of luck with that DB

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good luck with that ride DB.

I need to plan my weekend long ride, feel the need to get about 50 miles in, then next week to do a really long one of 75-80 miles. If that does not work out well I will need to give serious thought to getting a stand in for the Outlaw as team failure is not an option.

• Come on Steady, that's negative thoughts...get them out of your head.  You'll do this.

Wow DM and Razor, that's some serious riding.

I too am sick of this rubbish weather.  Although today I think it was nearly warm...maybe 16°C...I certainly sweated a lot on the run.  Rest day tomorrow and then on the bike for Thursday unless work gets in the way.

Keep going everyone.

• You will be fine CJ!  Just get back out there on the bike image I have faith in you.

I would like the weather just to make its mind up!

• CJ - you'll be grand. Panic ye not!!!!!

Cant believe the hug haters on here! You wait till I see you people!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I appreciate all hugs real or virtual.

cj - big hugs from me - is it a case of losing confidence? the weather on outlaw half day was awful. Get a good ride in this weekend and you will feel loads better I am sure

it is freezing here in the mornings when I have been out running

• it was actually lovely up here today.  I was out on my bike and did a really good time.  Although it is a nice easy gentle route for a lunch time blast.

I'll try and fit in some exercise at the weekend, but mostly I'm going to be catching up on my sleep.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Back from my holidays which were wonderful, I might have blubbed on leaving day image A nice spin on the bike reminded me that East Anglia is just as beautiful in its own right. Saw coach last night and got the reminder that I now need to crack on if I'm to have a hope of completing my races this year.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Glad to hear you had some good weather at long last Pete.

I have had a bad week, resulting in time off work, I found myself very tired after Tuesdays usual swim and Pilates, at work on Wednesday felt rough and looked so bad they tried to send my home. Thursday I slept in feeling rough and today as well and managed a miracle of getting a GP appointment for late morning.
    Not told the usual, it is just a virus, but told NO EXERCISE AT ALL for a week minimum and to rest and get a full blood test done, they will include thyroid and some others. The many symptoms I have, are probably related to the stress of the last six months and the DNF at Nottingham that has caused my body to protest in no uncertain terms.

I am trying not to panic over that little bike ride at the end of July, I have 2 weeks holidays booked, so plenty of  R & R then but it is cutting it a bit fine for doing the bike leg, I may put on the pirates fb page to see if any female pirate would be prepared to step in at short notice if needed.

• Ran 5 miles on wednesday evening with HR monitor on again and my Z2 avg pace is now at 9.14 min/m  which I am chuffed with, the 2 weeks without the HR monitor seemed to have paid off running at a faster pace. image

Went for a ride this morning with Horse, rode 43 miles with avg pace 14.85,mph happy with that considering we were only plodding, by the time Horse got home he would have clocked up 60 miles, a great ride in the sun.  image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Razor, I am feeling very jealous of your run and ride.

oh steady, take care. Hope the bloods get done quickly and don't show anything serious

• Dont feel jealous Steady, just get yourself sorted. Hope the tests work out ok.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Mr Steady has suggested that I pack my cycle kit for when we go away, so that I can hire a bike and get some rides done early morning if I am feeling OK, so it will be back to the Spanish sunshine and smooth rolling roads, so a big incentive to get better, then I will feel more confident about Outlaw.

Off to bed now. zzzz