Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• I managed most of the Outlaw, had to pull out halfway round the marathon with a knee that was likely to explode if I carried on.

Good racing folks, not done any training but went on a cycle/camping trip at the weekend. Everyone else cheated and sent their kit up by car, I put all mine in panniers and strapped it to the rack and went fully loaded. Only 30 miles each way but some climbing which is fun with a loaded bike. Had a spoke snap on the rear wheel, not whilst riding but 10 minutes into a pub stop...

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done Mrs D

I did a 5k walk on Sunday and did not need a sleep afterwards so improving all the time.

Missing the cycling so will have to give it another go over the long weekend but just a short ride.

Swimming in the morning, still keeping to 30 minutes so I do not over do it.

DB I have put all my camping gear away, not planning on using it until next summer. Shame as it only got the one trip up to Nottingham this year.

• We discovered that our cheap tent isn't very waterproof. Heavy rain and thunder on Sat night, woke up Sunday morning and everything on one side of the tent was soaked, including the bottom end of both our sleeping bags. I now have an extensive shopping list after this weekend: new wheels for the hybrid (going to get a dynamo hub and lights so it really will just be a grab and go bike through winter), new tent, new sleeping mat (mine wouldn't stay inflated, crap night's sleep).

On the plus side I didn't do what one of our mates did. Rode back from the pub to the site with no front light, and didn't realise there was a 5 bar steel gate across the (unlit) road to the field. I found him and his bike on the other side of the gate in a heap,

• DB - hope your friend is ok. Shame about the tent, but some things are worth paying the extra for!

WOndering whether to shift down to the half mara for Nottingham, you are allowed to change down up until race day, so will see how I cope on long runs the next few weeks, would like to do the full but not if it puts me out for a few weeks to recover!

• mind you, just looked back and seen how rubbish my training was for York last year! And I finished that ok, in a crap time but recovery was good

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Yippee, I managed 1000m at swimming this morning, so another mini goal achieved. Some of the 50m sets were at my old pace of between 1 minute 5 seconds and 1 minute 12 seconds.

MC good to know you can change distance if necessary.

• well done steady - that's a brill pace to be doing the 50s in

failed to get up early enough for a run this morning, so will run this evening/afternoon, got to take the kids for a hair cut first - stress!!!!

• Winter training is going to be fun, signed my Cycle to Work finance agreement for my new cyclocross bike this morning. Providing the finance department get that this week they'll pay for the bike next week and then I can pick it up. Fast winter rides on the old railway lines and bridleways and road on a road-type setup to look forward to. Might even enter a CX race or two...

• oh that sounds like fun DB!

got a new toy today - mio link hr monitor, well it just detects and transmits, it is optical and worn on the wrist, loads more comfy and more accurate than the garmin chest strap that had become useless for running - I knew my hr wasn't really 240 when I run!

• 240 does sound somewhat high unless you're utterly utterly spent...

• no, that was during a gentle walk/run!!

anyway, the mio link is fab - might take me a while to get used to having two things strapped onto the same wrist but it was good this afternoon

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, I think I overdid the swimming, been feeling very tired ever since, but it felt good to be able to do more than a slow splosh up and down the pool.

Off to bed now..zzzzz

• steady - maybe have a 'do no exercise' day today - or just a gentle stroll if it is nice weather where you are - getting into the fresh air helps

I am missing my masters swim sessions - next one is Saturday but I haven't been for ages now, it is going to be tough! I do enjoy them though

• Ohh Maths I have the mio two, works with my garmin 910xt so I can still track my heart rate.

The only problem is I have a very stripey arm this year with 2 strap marks! 

I'm a rather tired bear, two 4.30am starts in a row and I feel like hibernating image Can't because I'm at work, popping out to pick up my Run Norwich pack at lunch time. Should be a fun 10K on Sunday, but have a big training day booked On Saturday so it could turn out to be a little harder than planned. 

• Well I've finally managed to drag myself out for a run. First run since the very limited amount of running I did at the Outlaw. Had to give my new Pirate running cap a test so set out to do 2 miles to ease back into it, but got carried away with my pace. Should have gone out at 10/11 minute pace or slower, but ended up averaging 9:00 over 1.5 miles and had to stop. Still, it was a run, and no pain, just knackered. Time to get building it back up slowly!

• well done DB

I have done 4 runs this week and today back to spinning and masters swim - tough getting back to the swimming but once I was warmed up enjoyed it and had a nice chat with one of the other ladies from my lane afterwards. 

ALi - how much battery life do you get from the mio?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good run DB, I found coming back from Outlaw half very hard but ithad been a tough 6 months beforehand.

I was planning on getting out on my bike but time ran out and then the rain started, so hopefully it will be dry in the morning.

• I've been meaning to get out for a run for weeks. But I just haven't been able to find the motivation to actually get out and do it. Managed today somehow, partly due to having new kit to wear, and partly due to some sunshine putting in an appearance (between the heavy showers). Been invited out on a run tomorrow morning with a mate taking his little'un out in the running buggy so going to try to get up for that as well. Next event for me is likely to be the Manchester Marathon so time to get used to running again. Shed a few pounds (or stone more like) and make life easier on myself. Been a bit of a slob since Outlaw and need to get it sorted, not a good way to go on. Once I get paid next month with my annual bonus I'll get my races entered for next year and then I'll have something to focus on

• DB - after a big event you need some downtime - both physically and mentally. Well done for getting out for a run. Don't go so fast next time!!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

woohoo and yippee, I have been out on the bike, half an hour session at 12.4mph very happy with that.

• A mate on Facebook suggested I meet up with him this morning and some of his running friends, so I said I'd turn up and do a couple of miles with them at a slow pace. 6 miles recorded on Strava at 11:00 min/mile, then stopped it recording for the last mile as decided to walk most of it. Much better pace for me to be going at currently, and nice to have some company too.

Good going Steady, keep it up

• well done steady and DB

I have done 7 miles - knees don't seem very happy really so it might turn out to be a sensible idea to drop down to the half for Nottingham. I have entered marathons for the end of November and early Jan too so would be better just building gradually to those

so humid out there this morning!

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Decided to get in another Sprint before the end of the season

• Nice one DB sounds like you moving in right direction, when is your marafun? 

Mathschick Steady I've not swam for over a year now image How poor is that!!

simo429 what race?

Alibear how did 10k go?

moved warehouse now, 14 miles from where I live on country roads. The plan is yo bike to work and back. Now that's the plan just hope I do it lol

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

The etwall tri in derbyshire

• Marathon time for me is April next year, so got time to get the weight down and get the miles in. Plan is focus on the weight between now and Christmas, and keep running and cycling for fun without any specific targets, then New Year start a proper training plan

• Did 3 mile run at 10:30 per mile pace. Then vowed to do ironman in 2016!!??!!? Is that crazy? And which one should I do? Anyone else doing one next year?

• haha do it ST!!

do whichever is best for you - there are always a lot of us about at outlaw so you get the support. I am hopefully going to be in a relay team, if not, I'll be on the feedstation

• ST,

Outlaw is your best bet mate, plenty of pirate support and not too far away from you.

• We'll be at Outlaw supporting next year. The wife is doing The Lakesman and I'm dropping back down to 70.3, doing the Pirate DIY Half and then the Brutal Half later in the year.

Got in a bike ride today, social ride on the local duathlon loop. Social, but with elements of proper effort. Me and one mate did a good few miles of chain gang effort, silently taking turns on the front and pulling the other along. Then clocked a PR up Buttons Bank, my local bastard hill. Altogether happy with this weekend considering I'm now not actively training for anything. Been out running twice (even if the first run was a 1.5 mile disaster) and on the bike once. Well twice really, as I then went home, got changed, and swapped the road bike for the mountain bike and rode down to the pub for a few pints.