Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• I do not have a finish time or DNF for Ali, any news? 

• Sorry it's a DNF for me, canned it at mile 21 on the run knew I wasn't going to make the official cut off, then back ceased up so had to stop and stretch every few yards, hands swelled like ballons and final straw was faling over. Knew I'd given it all I had and am oddly happy with it, I left everything I had out there Currently think I will give it a third try but no ideas when. Glad I've got staffs and outlaw relay booked already also bloody proud of my bike and swim, on Thursday I couldn't even get out past the breakers kept getting spun over and washed back up on shore and when I finally made it out I could barely swim. Race day was a little less white water so made it out first try and then just stuck to it despite decent swell so sighting was pretty impossible Bike was great fun and I still love my bike. Just ran out of time/steam and needed more run training plus. 17hr cut off not 15:30 ! I did not get a great IM vibe from Barcelona and others have said its not up to the same standard as others. For me Outlaw had a better race vibe and organisation but I know it's a personal thing. Still grinning and I'm bloody well using my bag
  • Aw well done Ali!!!! You deserved to Bloomin finish after that image  The cut offs were really tough!  Well impressed with your bike time, you really beasted it image  No wonder you still love your bike! 

I was watching the finish, willing you through. I did notice not many at finishers Shute! Bring on Outlaw image

• Well done Ali, 

Me and my brother in law were thinking about signing up later today, what are the cut off times then?

• well done Ali, swim sounds tough but you had a great bike time! Funnily enough I bumped into a friend the other day who had attempted Barcelona 70.3 but her and quite a few others were pulled off on the bike leg falling foul of intermediate cut off times. A couple of the people who she told me were pulled off suprised me as they are strong cyclists. They weren't impressed with how they were treated although of course part of that feeling will be because they were pulled off

I am doing the stilton stumble at the weekend - there had better be cheese there!!

• Well done for getting as far as you did

• This week has been a bit quiet in the activity dept. I swam Tuesday morning as normal but then went down with a nasty bug which made me sick and felt awful. So missed Pilates and have just done a little walk instead of run/walk.

Tomorrow I am on a first aid course organised by the cycle  club, the aim is to get one member trained and carrying a first aid kit bum bag on all the different ride groups on a Sunday morning.
    Sometimes around here the crashes are major, the last one not involving anyone from our club, resulted in the air ambulance attending.

• evening

thank goodness it is Friday!!

• Weekend at last, hurrah! Managed to get out for a couple of runs this week, one evening and one yesterday morning. Wasn't overly impressed with my alarm when it went off but I dragged myself out of bed and felt all the better for having been running. Just 3 and 4 milers so far but this time I *will* get out running 3 times during the week plus a longer weekend run.

Just having a brew now before jumping on my cyclocross bike for a spin down the old railway line to Lanchester, where I'll be standing at the bottom of a hill marshalling for the local cycling club's hill climb. Don't envy those taking part, it's a tough climb, starts with a 20% section to force you out of the saddle, then eases off for the drag to the top but you're already knackered by then

• well done DB - once you get used to it you will wake up without the alarm

spinning, swimming then meeting a friend for lunch today

• I 'never' get used to getting up DB image

I have been running and biking a bit. Fear kicking in re: Country to Capital that some bloody small person encouraged us to do! Plus, the rest of the stupid stuff entered! 

Hows everyone faring in the Autumn weather image ??? 

• haha MrsD you have entered some big stuff for next year!

I madly entered a 24k run tomorrow, there is a 3.5 hour cut off so I reckon I can run/walk and finish (probably last) but I am going to worry all the way round that there won't be any goodie bags or bacon butties left for me! ( I am expecting stilton in the goodie bag)

• Good luck with the run MC, hope there is some cheese left for you.

Mrs D, you have some challenges ahead, I have shown some interest in a HM in April, it will be a big challenge for me to get there in one piece. Although I have told the organiser that I may need to only run a little bit of each mile.

I have now learnt some first aid skills for when out on the bike and retrained in CPR and the recovery position, I last did a first aid course about 20 years ago, so things have changed quite a bit.

• Another Sunday went by without any training done, must not make it a habit. But I had a good excuse, I was out at a clearance sale with Mr Steady and made an impulse purchase of an ex demo/used mountain bike.

As soon as I got home from work tonight, I took it out for a spin on the local common and woodland for half an hour, whoopee, great fun but hard work on the legs.

• That reminds me, I need to get out on my mountain bike, got an off-road duathlon next month. A mate of mine who is lighter, fitter and a better rider has just signed up too, so need to put the run work in to see if I can beat him on that side of things

• Morning All,

I will be doing my 1st Tri on the 1st Nov. its an OD one.

I am weary of the Swim , the bike shouldn't be a problem as i have been cycling for the past two years 6 days a week. The run I will take slowly till the final 2km . Well that's the plan anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Welcome Time to Tri, I presume the swim is a pool one, being so late in the year. I would say, enjoy it, don't panic over the swim just take your time, sounds like the bike leg will be strong and good plan for the run.

I would be inclined to let the organisers know that it is your first tri, so they can warn you of anything specific to that race. Take a variety of layers into T1 as it can be hard to tell how many layers you will need when wet starting the bike leg.

Remember do not abuse the officials, they are there to help, do not touch the bike until you are wearing your helmet, rack the bike in T2 then remove helmet and remember to wear your number clearly. Most of all enjoy it.

• Thanks SteadyCJ. Some very useful tips there that i didn't know about. The swim in fresh water open water swim. We are going into summer now here in South Africa.

On short Tri's like this do you take your own supply's or do you generally use the ones provided?

• Time to Tri, sorry presumed you were in UK, so in that case, enjoy the open water swim.  I would take your own supplies as you know they agree with your digestive system, but you can use the ones provided if you want, I am slow so always carry some supplies in case they run out.

• Main advise from me is enjoy it!

Got out on the bike this evening, decided to head out with the cycling club now I'm a member. Met up with the midweek group part way through their ride tonight (stupid work hours make it impossible for me to get to the start, but luckily tonight's loop brought them close to home) and did 16 miles. Basically resulted in me doing my usual go-to 16 mile loop, taking in my nemesis, Buttons' Bank. But I wasn't the last to the top, was about middle of the pack, and was with the lead group descending the other side. 37mph is quick enough in the dark. Loved riding in a group, will need to get out on some of their longer weekend rides.

• Nice riding DB, I've been using my free lights from British cycling for my night rides and the are excellent, they are rechargeable too 

Good luck TTT have fun, don't sweat the swim, it'll be over before you know it 

Im slowly getting back into some form of training, going sort of vegan too, no meat or dairy, but keeping the fish and eggs..........so not vegan at all.

We've got a Nutribullet so makes it easier for getting the green stuff down. I've been on it about 6 weeks and feel a lot better for it, just need to read a bit more into it to keep the balance.

I recommend the book "finding Utra" for those who dont know it, it's a life changer, well a diet changer for me 

• Thanks guys , would it be al right if I post a sort of race report here once done or should I start a new thread or is the a designated thread for such things?

• Mm... JP the swimming guru image 

• Maths - was there Stilton? Welcome TTT image

• TTT post your race report here please, an international report would be most welcome to read with the weather being terrible here.

• Hi Guys  Gals,

Went out for a run with Horse this morning around the country park, made a change from running on the roads we ran just over 9 miles in 1hr 33mins, nice steady pace at 10.18 avg.. That makes it just over 17 miles this week, starting to build towards Manchester Marathon.

Welcome TTT.

Well done everyone some serious training going on here.

• Looking forward to Manchester Razor, it's going to be a grand Pirate day out!

• Aaarrrrgggghhhh it will that matey image
  • Did another little run/walk, this time 1 minute run and 75 seconds walk repeated for 20 minutes. Must stretch now.

• Dragged myself down to Parkrun this morning. It was my intention to just stay ahead of the 30 minute pacer and see what my time was. Managed to pass quite a few people and be passed by fewer, but it was a hard run having not run anywhere near enough over the last few weeks. Anything under 30 minutes I would have been happy with, official time was 27:13 beating my old PB by 3 minutes and 42 seconds