Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• well, it was tough, I managed not to see any of the people I know that were also there but a great event. Spending the rest of the day on the sofa I think!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hi Mrs Lollipop! I'm bit of an on-and-off visitor trying to get back into running/swimming and triathlons. Only done couple of sprints but like the company on this thread.

Well done maths! 

So January I cycled 200 miles, February I manage 29 due to the illness that took me out for 2 weeks and back problems. Managed to go mountain biking in Cannock Chase  yesterday though but managed to over strain a tendon in my wrist. Well, that's my guess anyway so no biking today and see how next week goes.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

MC I might have to pick your brains as you seem to be a dab hand an picking nice events now image I always find ones with horrid mid point cut offs etc. But best to wait for MRI results next week first image

I have managed a whole week of swim and turbo sessions finishing in a 2:30 turbo yesterday, that was not fun, not even a little bit. 

In attempt to bribe myself into training I've promised myself one of those finis swim tempo thingies if I complete this week too. Has anyone used one? Are they any good?

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Had my best week of training of the year,

managed every session, finished with 16 miles yesterday at 9.27 per mile which I know isn't very fast but with a few nasty hills in there I was happy with.

Still don't feel that my swimming is coming on as fast as the others, can only fit in 2 45 minute sessions a week due to pool opening times and work and I'm not brave enough to go to the local tri clubs training session and its on a monday night which is my rest day.

• Alibear, I bought one earlier his year, and love it. It gives you something to focus on, and makes the swims less boring, encourages you to be structured with your swim training, and is insightful in areas like stroke rate...

i'd not be without mine now, and use it in every session I do bar my long endurance swim.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Just a muscle overuse injury on my wrist (well just above). Had ultrasound and acupuncture and got it taped. No cycling this week but can go and try vb on Wednesday. Have important matches at the weekend so hopefully back then.

• Yesterday's sportive was a bit of a mixed bag. The route was brilliant, stunning views of the Lakeland fells and the Pennines covered in snow, some great roads, some terrible roads (lots of people fixing punctures) but I suffered. Was hoping for an average speed of about 15mph but finished at 13.7mph. Was suffering with back pain similar to what I had during Outlaw last year so wasn't a happy bunny for the second half.

I did do my good deed for the day though, and fixed someone's snapped chain 15 miles in allowing them to finish the full 60 miles.

• Ali - I have a finis thing and used to use it but I tend to only swim with the masters club now, so I just do the sessions set by the coach there

re events - I find picking smaller events run by smaller companies/local clubs care more about the people taking part and are not bothered about cut offs

• I ran just under 12 miles with my mate Horse yesterday,it was cool but brilliant sunshine. Ran down the canal towpath which in places was like a mudbath, nearly slipped into the canal at one point. Needed a couple of walk breaks to have a drink and a gel, but the main reason was to keep my heart rate down, I was struggling to keep it in Z2, not a bad pace 2hrs 12 mins 10:47m/m. The main thing is its miles in the legs.

DB, well done on the bike ride mate.

• Wow, thats some good exercise people, I'm proud of you all. I tried running while carrying small hand weights but it nearly killed me. And then a gentle bike ride with the brat. She's definitely improving.

Annoyingly I just dropped an unbreakable plate on my foot. Ouch. Lets see how the bruise feels tomorrow!

You've all done very well!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

My only consistency is swimming, not great when the A event this year is 100 miles on the bike. Another session this morning of 1550m in total in an hour, not bad given some sciatic twinges in the lower back and legs.

Looking forward to next week when off work and enjoying some overseas sunshine hopefully.

• Good to see you and Horse getting the miles up Razor, not long to go now!

• LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Wow, it's busy in here!  Lots of training going on.

Great racing Maths and DB.

I completed every session on my training plan last week and the first three of this week so I'm happy.  Just need to keep this up, but I'm enjoying it at the moment so hopefully it won't be too hard.

Hi Mikasa, glad to hear it's nothing more serious wrong with your wrist.

Does the finis swim thing count how many lengths you've done?  I'm not going far yet but I keep losing count! How do people keep track when they go further?

•  

Mrs Lollipop,.I have a swim lap counter which goes on my finger and you press it every length.  Look up swim lap counter on Amazon they only cost about a tenner.   lornpearsontrains.co.uk/.../gadgets-to-count-swimming-lengt...   DB.  I'm going to try and get out again tomorrow for a few miles.
  • OMG will people stop mentioning how close it is, mentioning no names.. DB, Razor image

• Then pull you finger out Mrs D. ????
  • LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Ooh, thanks Razor, I'll have a look now.  I do love a gadget!

Short interval run for me today so best get on with it.

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

I really feel that my training mojo is at a all time high at the minute, don't know whats happened and if its just me being more consistent so the training is easier but I am looking forward to sessions at the minute. Actually feeling like I am seeing some improvement in my swim as well which is always good.

• Simmo,

Enjoy it mate, I had the same feeling last year, my avg running pace was 9.15m/m but I was regularly running at 8.40m/m avg and felt like it wasnt an effort at all, dont  know why this happens but dont knock it mate.  image

• LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Great work Simo, it's great when everything falls into place.

I've done my interval run.  Followed a run/walk pre-programmed garmin one.  I didn't realise it sets the pace for you too though!  Very brisk walk sections and the runs were between 8.30 and 9.30 min/miles!  image  That's faster than I've even gone in my life and I thought I might die, but I managed to complete it.  I suppose it just shows how lazy I usually am with running to go at the same pace all the time.  It's amazing the effort I can put in to stop my watch beeping at me for going too slow!

• *cough* 4 weeks on Sunday *cough*

Was going to run tonight, but slipped on a customer's bastarding slippy driveway this afternoon and landed on my knee which is now quite sore. Resting it tonight and see how it feels tomorrow.

• Oh er MrsD did I mention it's only 4 weeks to go????
  • Yeah yeah guys!!!! This may be similar to cramming for a test image

• LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Oh no DB, hope the knee's ok.

Well I have completed everything on my training plan for another week, including finishing the parkrun in 30:19!  So close!  It's good to see all this training paying off though and I'm confident I can get under that 30 soon.

• Went out for a run this morning and the knee seemed fine, ta. Ran down to parkrun, did parkrun, then ran to the garage to pick the car up from it's service. 10 miles total at a fairly relaxed pace, even managed to take it easy during parkrun.

This afternoon made the mistake of popping down to the local bike shop as saw on Facebook they had the new Cube Agree C:62 Disc road bike in, so went to have a look at it in the flesh. Lovely bike, nice and light, and now I really want one. Bugger.

Just having a relax now before walking into town for the tri club swim session, which will be harsh, then a beer and burger as a treat I think!

Good work on the parkrun, you'll get sub-30 soon enough, then you'll be chasing a 25...

• MrsL - well done on parkrun

DB - good to hear that your knee is ok

I got cramp in my inner thigh last night and today it has been really painful! Hoping it will just go away as I have another half marathon tomorrow

will try to stretch it a little and see how it is when I wake up tomorrow.....no big deal if I have to miss the half but would be nice to do it

• I ran 9.3 miles yesterday in 1 hr 33 mins avg pace 10.04. I am happy with that as it felt tough at times and had a couple of walk breaks to bring HR down back into Z2. Could have done with Horse for company but he was working.
  • Well done Razor, only 4 weeks until the big day!

Tri club swimming session last night for the second time. The coach bumped me up a lane mid-set so ended feeling great because of that. Interesting session, hard work but good. Did 50m waiting for the session to start, then went into the proper warm up which was 2 lots of a 200m steady swim, a 50m kick drill, and a 50m single arm drill.

The main set was 400m race simulations, done 3 different ways to see which way works best for you. The first 400m was 200m steady, then hard for the last 200m. The second rep was 200m hard, followed by 200m steady, and the final rep was build up to a hard pace over the first 25m, the next 75m maintaining that hard pace, drop down to a steady pace for the middle 200m but keep focused on a long, smooth stroke, and then give it everything for the final 100m, with harder kicks over the last 50m to get the blood flowing in the legs. That was my preferred way, as 200m at a time going hard seemed to tire me out too much and resulted in my technique going out the window.

Swam, a total of 2km in around 45 minutes swimming time

• Well done Matt sounds like a tough session.