Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    I'd love to Steady. Determined to do more events this year. The problem is, I have volleyball matches every Sunday in March. But if you give me the details, I'll have a look.
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Found the details. Great stuff it's on Saturday. I've entered! And can't even run 5k yet...
  • Sat in Malaga airport waiting for my flight back home after a long weekend. Hired a bike and rode up to Nerja on Saturday, then rode back yesterday. Only 30 ish miles each way but a great sunny ride along the coast. The ride back yesterday was brilliant as there were loads of locals out and ended up being welcomed into a couple of groups. Nice bit of drafting along lovely smooth roads...
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Sounds nice Mallowpuff. What was the temperature?

I doubled my run distance today in preparation for perhaps doing the parkrun on Saturday.  Leg started to ache a bit half way through the second lap but of course I didn't stop. It was ok though. I will be looking at my worst time for parkrun at the weekend but never mind, it's a start.
  • About 20/22 degrees C. Bit cooler in the shade and breeze but nice in shorts.

More progress today, went to a swim session with a local tri club, enjoyed it and got myself joined. Onwards!

Parkrun is the best place for that kind of run, no pressure on at all. Just set out to enjoy it...
  • steady, sounds like you are building up well

pete - sorry to hear work has been a bit rocky. 

I am finally getting over the cold/flu bug I had  3 weeks ago, have a half marathon next week, think I will need to run/walk it which is disappointing but I would rather get round and not half kill myself trying!
  • No worries MC, it is what it is...It was hot again at lunch for my run...about 27C...amusingly I was passed by two blokes that I then over took near the office as they had slowed to a walk.  Not amusingly, two lasses I saw running were beeped at by some builders in their van...Is the USA stuck in the 70's?
    I have a 10K on saturday, the Houston Rodeo Run...I did it last year and it was fun but really hot.  This year rain is forecast which will be great.  Unless it floods, but I'll just treat it like a duathlon.
    Keep going everyone.
  • Enjoy your 10k Pete!

Going to another tri club swim tonight, hoping to stick to at least 2 swims per week going forward. Also managed to do a gym brick session yesterday, 16 miles on a gym bike on rolling hills in an hour, straight onto the treadmill for 30 minutes at 10:00/mile pace. Hard work indoors that, the sweat was pouring off me on the treadmill!
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Slow steady progress happening here, this week I managed a 3 min run, 1 min walk for just over 2 miles. Hoping to do a 3 mile run on Sunday well it may have a few walk breaks.

Mikasa, I will wear my pirate buff so we can try to meet up at the race.

• good work everyone,
    I did the Houston 10k this morning...  It felt cold this morning which is good to run in....I have to say running in the States is very different from the UK, or perhaps just my experiences in Scotland.  The crowd is lively and wants to high five everyone, folk seem to dress up and be encouraging.  It was the rodeo run, the start of the big Houston rodeo so there was a lot of cowboys on horse back watching, school bands getting ready for the parade, weirdly decorated floats.  One had a stuffed mountain lion on one end and a satellite on the other...no, I don't know why either?  On the way to the start line everyone had to pause while a marching band cut through followed by some horse drawn chuck wagons.
    Still, it was a fun run and a reasonable time since I've only just got back to running this year.
    keep going everyone
    tinkerty tonk old fruit!

• LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭
    That sounds like lots of fun Pete!

I cycled 42 miles yesterday which was great and I'm hoping my training can get back on track this week.  Life has been getting in the way of it just lately.

Most of us seem to have been 'promoted to level 3'!  Is that a good thing?  What have Maths and Puffy done to not be in the level 3 club?! :p
  • I am level 3 apparently, but it mustn't show up due to my Pirate tag...
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Steady - that would be nice. I'll just say hello to everyone who wears anything piratey. :) I haven't run 3 miles yet and I believe the course is going to be undulating so I think there will be walk breaks.

I didn't manage parkrun on Saturday as I just couldn't risk having doms for my early matches on Sunday. Can't make this coming Saturday either as I'm picking my family from the airport at that time. Had to cycle to work today as car went to the garage for some work. I will try to cycle most of the week as there is nothing else I'm doing except for couple of runs.

I get email from this thread when people make comments and I find that useful but I've gotten dozens of emails saying I've been promoted to level 3 and I couldn't care less!!

Wishing everyone a good training week!
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

We could be in good company Mikasa, I haven't run 3 miles non stop yet so there will be walk breaks.

I am tired tonight probably in part due to the horrendous 4 hour commute to work due to a broken rail, ended up on 3 different trains and 2 buses. I could have cycled there quicker had I known how bad it was going to be.

• LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭
    Puffy - very jealous of your Pirate tag, although the old ones were better.  I'll have to make do with my three stars for now.

Mikasa, I think you can control what RW sends you, but no idea how - sorry!  Good luck for your race!  And good luck to Steady too.

I appear to have stopped running.  Not intentionally but it's just happened that things have got in the way of training over the last couple of weeks.  I've still been cycling, swimming and going to the gym, but really need to start following the training plan properly or I'm going to get too far behind.
  • ok, IT support first, at the top of the page there is a wee star...is it clicked on? if so, click it off and it means that this thread isn't book marked.  That might stop you from getting emails. Then if you click on the cog wheel along from your icon at the top of the page you can edit you profile, then you need to choose the notification preferences and you can turn off all emails etc.

I ran at lunch, I was only going to do a short run as I had my boss coming to see me at 1pm, so stupidly I tried to find a new short route by going a way that I'd never run before.  I was running along a bayou (stream) and could see a path on the other side so I tried to get to it and eventually found my way back to the main road but only after running much further than expected and only getting back to my desk 2 minutes before the boss called...phew!
  • At least you made it back in time, Pete!

Went along to my 3rd tri club swim session last night, and these are definitely the way forward for me for swimming. If I head to the pool on my own I get bored so easily, even doing 400m ends up as a bit of a chore. Covered 1900m last night in the hour long session, with an actual swimming time of just over 40 minutes, and there was no boredom in there. A bit of a warm up, a few sets of drills, a few sets of 50m fast followed by 100m recovery, and then the main bulk of the session was 7 sets of 100m at 400m race pace. I ended up being nominated to lead for that as well, which was a "fun" experience...

Done a few brick session in the gym as well recently, doing an hour or two on the exercise bike and then jumping straight onto the treadmill for at least 15 minutes. Later today I'm taking the road bike down to the local tri/bike shop (so good that the little bike shop just down the road is run by a triathlete...) for a bike fit and then to leave it for a service. So hoping for some reasonable weather next week to get out for some decent miles!
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    I've cycled to work every day this week. But because I'm not used to this yet, I haven't done any running. All my evenings have been taken by sorting/cleaning out the house for my family's arrival tomorrow. It's been hard work.

Good training everyone else!

I like getting an email to say if someone has responded to this thread so I can have a look. But I got like continuous bombardment saying I'd reached level 3 so I just emailed them back telling them to stop and haven't had any emails regarding level 3 after that.

• it's been good running weather here so I ran at lunch.  It always makes me smile when I see others on the trails...a few are grumpy middle aged men like me, but most of ripped young men who run topless.  I guess if I had a 6 pack, I'd want to show it off as well...

And now I'm sitting at my desk red faced and sweating...it's hard to cool down when it's this humid. 

Keep going folks.

• It's hard enough cooling down after a workout here in the sunny North West of England, so it must be horrendous where you are Pete!

Last night I had the utter joy of going to a tri club running session followed immediately by a tri club swim session. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger... "Social" run but with some hill reps and intervals thrown in. Worst part was being told it was "about 5 miles" and so at 4.75 miles thinking it wasn't far to go. Stopped the Garmin at 6.3 miles. Swim was challenging after the run, but as last week I ended up leading my lane and managed to keep on top of it. Suffering with pool flu again today though!

Also picked up my bike from the bike shop yesterday where it had been left for a service after I had a bike fit done last week. Just need some nice weather now to get out for a decent ride to test it out, but an hour on the turbo giving Zwift a try is on the cards for later.
  • oooh Mallowpuff...I'm from the North West of England originally!  Wow, you must be superfit!  There is a masters swimming club at the local school, but I'm not sure I have the time regularly attend.  I definitely couldn't run 6miles and then go swimming.  After 6 miles I need a sit down and a cup of tea!

• Nah I'm not superfit, wish I was. Thought I'd give it a go and see how it went, there was always the option of either not bothering with the swim or cutting it short if it was too much hard work. It was certainly tougher having done the run first, but doable, so I think I'm going to make that my new Thursday evening routine. Nice little run around Middleton, then try not to drown.
  • Well Zwift didn't happen, pool flu knocked me for 6 today. Need to find a way of avoiding it, as otherwise if I hit my target of 2 pool swims per week I'm then going to have 2 enforced "rest" days off feeling like shite...
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Was supposed to try parkrun again last Saturday but woke up 8:30 and just couldn't be asked. Then got my back all knotted up watching rugby all day. 

I have a dilemma. I've entered the Bolt round the Holt 5k next Saturday. My OH is going up North to plant a tree on his grandma's grave (she had a woodland burial about 6 months ago). As I also had a match on Sunday as well as the run on Saturday I wasn't going to go. Now I'm injured and can't do the match and I won't have the car and will probably have to take a train to Farnham and then cycle to the run. Don't know what to do... I'm not sure I'm fit enough to cycle, run 5k and then cycle back... Decisions, decisions... I do want to do the run though...
  • LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭
    Cycling might be a good warm up for the run Mikasa.  I would go for it.

Wow Puffy, lots of training going on there!  Boo to pool flu though.  I always feel like crap the day after swimming now I've been taken off my strong antihistamines.  They must have been helping...

62 mile sportive cycled yesterday.  Sister didn't do it in the end as she (allegedly) has tonsillitis. (Can't seem to find an appropriate raised eyebrow emoji!)  Was actually 63 miles as we got a tiny bit lost right at the end!  I actually really enjoyed it.  Need to get back to proper training now if I've any hope of meeting the time cutoffs at Outlaw half.  Eek - 9 weeks.
  • I've realised I really need to get on with it now ;) Done a bit of turbo time on Zwift over the past couple of days, including a failed attempt at an FTP test today, turns out I wasn't really up to it today and tried to push a bit too hard. Somehow seem to have accidentally entered the Lakeland Loop sportive next month as well, 69 miles with about 10,500ft of climbing. That's going to be a laugh...
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Well, I did it. Bolt round the Holt this morning. About 7 miles of cycling to get there. Almost missed my train as I had to lug my bike up 3 lots of stairs but just managed it because of a nice conductor.Lovely sunny day although bit of a nippy wind to start of with. The route was a bit 'hillier' than I'm used to so 3 walk breaks to get to the top of them. 36:35 so really pleased and my first 5k since I can't remember when. Decided to cycle all the way back home as I wasn't in a hurry so another 13.5 miles done. Not very fast as legs were tired and parts of the Blackwater Valley path are ridiculous.

Also met my first Pirate, Steady was there to do the run as well so had a good natter before start. Didn't see her at the end though. Hope you had a good run Steady.
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭
    Mikasa, you didn't see me at the end because you were so fast. I took 42.27 to do it, walked all the uphills, great to meet you at long last. I was tired and my back was hurting but looking back at race results, I was 7 minutes quicker than my last 5k back in Dec 2015.
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    I was still there, but I might of already been on the massage table!