Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

woo-hoo! Well done Mikasa and Steady! 

I ran at lunch after a week off being a slacker.  Its hot.  Holy-moly, it's hot.  Did I mention that it's hot?  Well it was.  Hot.  I'm going to try to run tomorrow and Thursday, but perhaps before work...

• Options
    hi all

well done mikasa and steady

mallowpuff - I have an awful reaction to some pools but not others. I have been emailing pools and asking what chemicals etc they use. The pools that I am fine with use an UV system with a small amount of chlorine. Might be worth you investigating all local pools to see what they use. However, the pool that my swimming club use on Saturdays is awful, but I do like that session and have friends there. The last few weeks I have lined the inside of my nose with vaseline before swimming, and afterwards rinsed my nose with sterimar (salt water) a dose of beconase and taken a mild antihistamine tablet, and have been fine! 
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭
    MC, you are so right about pools differing in which chemicals they use. My closest one uses a sand system but the water is too warm, so I use the one further away which is cooler. Although my local lake is opening up this weekend, so at least I get an option for open water but it is only 12 degrees at present, so bootees and gloves would be needed.
  • Options
    Had no problems last week, used Beconase both immediately before and after swimming, and swam with a nose clip on. Will be doing it again tonight. Also going to the run session tonight as well, so likely to be knackered later!
  • Options
    Getting back into training quite nicely now. Run followed by swim with the tri club last Thursday, and even though it's a "social" run there are always some hill repeats and intervals thrown in so it feels like quite hard work. Really enjoying the swimming, which is odd as I normally find it boring. Hopefully this is going to translate to either an improvement in my swim times this year or just getting out of the water more relaxed.

Yesterday the sun was shining and a friend from college got in touch on Facebook to say she'd just done her longest training run ever and was absolutely buzzing about it, which left me inspired to get my trainers on and go out for a little 5k. And then last night I went along to the tri club cycling session at a local outdoor cycling circuit. 25 miles done on a roughly 1km circuit, some steady work in the warmup, then some chaingang sessions that usually involved me getting dropped on the tight corners and then burying myself in an attempt to latch back on, followed by several laps of solo effort. Great fun.
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    This coming Saturday was earmarked for return to parkrun but I've forgotten that I've entered a 5k run on Sunday that's organised by Decathlon and I can't do 2 5k back to back as I can hardly do a 5k yet. Need to try again in couple of weeks...

I had a bit of a low moment yesterday. I've lost half a stone doing lchf. And I feel so much better in my clothes and ok looking in the mirror. But then yesterday I had a look at the photos taken from Bolt the Holt and I was like OMG, I'm still mahoosive! I think I still see and feel the person I was 5-6 years ago as before that, I'd never been overweight. I'm bit of an impasse at the moment with lcfh eating so not lost any more weight but easily maintaining the weight I'm now. I just need to kick myself to carry on to see more results.

• Options

Hey now Mikasa, you are not massive.  Take your first though, how good you are looking just now.  How much better you feel in your clothes.  Confidence young lady, Confidence.  Your fitness is coming back, sometimes these things plateau.  Keep going.  It will come.

I ran at lunch...what's the song...mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun...?  I think my bald spot is sunburnt! One of my colleagues mentioned that if I keep going on my usual track, I can get back across the bayou and run back to the office on the other side...er...I came out on the wrong side of Hwy6 which is a 6 lane road.  I was not chancing getting across and I was hot and tired, so I turned around and headed back the way I came.  I came out at one of the big parks which means that if I bring my bike I'll have many many miles of safe roads to play on.  If I can avoid the snakes and alligators...

keep going folks.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Thanks Pete. I don't usually dwelve on these matters long. It is what it is and I'm doing my best to change it.

I don't think I could run in the conditions you do, don't like too hot.
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Went for my slightly longer 2.2mile run yesterday and was 30 seconds quicker per mile than before, and that was running easy. :smile: I'm planning on an autumn half marathon if everything keeps going well. And a 10k run somewhere in the summer months as a bench mark. I shall soon start thinking about longer runs as well.
  • Options
    Good work mikasa!
  • Options

wow...excellent stuff Mikasa...

I'm doing the bluebell 10K on Saturday.  8.30am start so hopefully it hasn't warmed up too much...bluebell...what do you image? a lovely field of bluebells?  Nope...Bluebell is an icecream brand and at the finish there is free ice cream.  As much as you can eat.  No, that has nothing to do with my decision to register! ;-)

• Options
    10k run tonight followed by an 1800M swim, both with tri club. Wasn't going to bother as got to be up early tomorrow to drive down to Dorset to help out for The Oner ultra over the weekend but decided I'd go. Glad I did. Just need to try to sleep now, which is always challenging after a late swim I tend to find.
  • Options
    hi all

well done mikasa, on the running and weight loss. 

Pete - good luck for your 10K, I love ice cream after a race. I hate running in the heat, but I guess you get used to it.

mallow - have a good weekend

School holidays now so I have been to my running club twice in a week!! 
  • Options
    BrewyBrewy ✭✭
    Hope no one minds me joining this thread,

I'm training towards my first sprint tri in May, I've also got a 10k in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    no worries Brewy...more the merrier.  Where are you running?
    My 10K didn't go well.  I could feel a bit of back pain when I set off, but it usually disappears, but this time it just got worse and worse...and then my foot got pins and needles which was a bit worrying.  At that point I was on the turn back to the finish so I figured I just run through it.  I was noticeably stiff once I'd gotten over the finish line, but by the time I'd driven home, I couldn't get out of the car as the pain was so bad.  The wife whisked me off to the chiropractor who tells me I have an inflamed disc and no exercise for a while.  Actually, it's agony at the moment so I don't even feel like exercise. Or walking.  Or sitting.

Everyone else keep going.  I'm going to sit it out for a while!
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Ah Pete, that's rubbish. I know how it feels though as have had my share of back problems in the past where it would take about 3 days to feel like a fully functioning human being again, i.e. being able to get out of bed without rolling out and being able to put your socks on normally. Hope you recover soon.

Brewy, welcome. More the merrier as Pete said. Which Tri are you going to do?

I did another easy run (well, they are all easy at the moment) on Friday and kept it steady but again, I was easily running 11:40 ish pace which made me start to think what has changed as I really haven't been running enough to see a 30 sec per mile decrease in such a short time. And I remembered that about two weeks ago I started doing donkey kicks regularly. Not necessarily every day and only about 10 per each leg but I really think this has been my secret ingredient. Maybe just that little bit has activated my glutes more and I do feel more steady when running and haven't had any hip problems/weakness since. 

This morning I participated in Decathlon's sport series 5k run and felt good and strong on a slightly undulating course. My watch shows it bit short at 2.9 miles but my time by my watch was 30:41 which is 10:38 pace. I'm absolutely chuffed and will keep up with my donkey kicks for sure.

• Options
    BrewyBrewy ✭✭
    Hope you get better soon Pete.

I have entered the Blackpool 10k, did enter one last month but they shortened the course so it was a few k short.

Thanks Mikasa I have signed up for the St Anne's sprint.
  • Options
    welcome brewy

pete - oh no! Sorry to hear about your back, hope you feel better soon

mikasa - well done on the running, think I will google donkey kicks!

did the swimathon 5k yesterday, managed to finish without getting cramp, but a in a rubbish time because of lack of training! Then the chlorine affected me so badly I felt crap this morning so didn't go the half marathon that I had planned. I did the swim in  a pool that doesn't normally affect me so I was gutted really

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ah, that's rubbish Mathschick. Just can't imagine swimming 5k atm...

However, I have decided I will learn front crawl this year but no point starting when I have a problem with my shoulder. I think I've pulled one of the rotator cuff ones, hopefully not torn. 

Also found a 5 mile trail run in June near me that I will be entering. Thinking about joining the local running club as well but not decided on that yet. I'm used to be a lone runner but sometimes it's nice to have company. Any views? Do people belong to running or tri clubs on this thread?
  • Options
    I've been in a tri club for just over a month now, and absolutely love it. There's a real mix of abilities and they're friendly and helpful, and a good laugh. They'll push you to do more than you though you could, and you'll feel compelled to go to sessions when normally you might not have bothered. Well worth doing.
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Mikasa, those photos from Bolt round the holt were terrible, it made me look like the Michelin tyre Lady.

I managed a run/walk on Sunday of just over 4 miles in one hour, so very slow but getting there. I am a member of a women only running club and currently part of a beginners group. Before any comments begin, the club is 30 years old this year and when set up was a much needed group.
    I need to get back on the bike ready for my next race on 14th May.

• Options
    Back from my weekend of helping out at The Oner. That's a race I'm never, ever, ever, never, evereverever going to do. Never. Utterly stupid. Enjoyed myself as crew though!
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well done Steady on your 4 miler. Yes, the pictures were horrible, never want to see mine again.

I will need to get to the pool soon to see if I can actually swim with my injured shoulder or if I'll have to not participate in the tri that I have booked. And also need to get on the bike, the road bike that is. Going mountain biking this weekend again so will get some cycling done but showers at work are still out of order which is frustrating. Have bought some baby wipes though in case I'll cycle in this week which looks fairly unlikely.

Thanks for your views on clubs, I'm still dithering.

Have booked another off road run, 5 miles in June at Swinley Forest. You might want to have a look Steady. Forest five it's called.
  • Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭
    Well done Mikasa and Steady!

I've been sulking for a few weeks as I've been struggling with some medication changes and a bout of cold and have done no training at all since the sportive.  Looks like I'm out for the outlaw half this year.  I've made my peace with it now though and will just aim for something later in the year and try again next year.

Possibly having a mid life crisis.  I tried to go to a cafe this morning and it was shut, so ended up getting my tragus pierced instead!  :D
  • Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭
    Oh, I didn't even see this page!  I read the last page and replied.  Oops.

Welcome Brewy!  I did my first sprint last year and loved it.

Well done on the swim Maths!  Hope you can find a pool that agrees with you.
  • Options

I have a pool.  Does anyone want to try it out?  Actually it might be swimmable by now.  We had some serious storms over the winter and it got messed up with stuff constantly being blown in to it and I couldn't cope with the cleaning, but we got some folk in to sort it and it is looking better.  A bit of a trek to get to ours and you might not be able to get back to work the next day...

My back is no longer sore, I can still feel it, but it is no way as painful as it was this time last week.  My chiropractor says she'll talk to me on Friday about when I can get back to exercising.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Whoopsie today, I went out with club members for a 4-5 miles run someone had thought of a route. Ended up doing 6 miles which required walking for the last one as my hip hurt lots. By now you would have thought that I would know and remember the golden rule of never increasing mileage by more than 10% but I got carried away.
    This afternoon a walk with Mr Steady and a couple of friends, we missed a turning on the North Downs Way and ended up walking what felt like miles and miles, but did see a slow worm cross the path in front of us, really cool to see that as well as more bluebells.

Hope everyone had a good London marathon day.

• Options
    BrewyBrewy ✭✭
    Hope your hips feeling better CJ.

I managed to complete my 10k in 54.10, which I'm happy about as I wanted it under 1 hour.
    My legs were not happy however that I then went into work a few hours later! 

My swimming has taken a hit recently though with  Easter holidays and a big inflatable being put in the middle of the pool!
  • Options
    Had a lovely little bike ride on Sunday. 69 miles around the Lake District, including Whinlatter, Hardknott and Wrynose passes. Got up Whinlatter without any real difficulty, but Hardknott and Wrynose both included lots (and I do mean lots) of walking. Cleats are absolutely trashed now so needing to get a new pair.
  • Options

69 miles, cor blimey! 

Brewy, good time on your 10K.

I did proper exercise last night on my mountain bike.  A neighbour took me out on the local trails which was fairly flat except for washed out gullies.  My legs and back ache today.  But it did feel like exercise.  And my chiropractor lady says I can attempt a 1Km run at the weekend to see how it feels.  woo-hoo!

Keep going folks.