Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well done Brewy and Mallowpuff.

I was very tired after our busy bank holiday weekend. We went up to North Wales and on Friday did a mtb ride in Coed-y-Brenin, Saturday went to Ffestiniog for some downhill action (been there once before and still staying on the blue trail) and on Sunday scrambled up Cadair Idris from the north side. 

So last Sunday I was happily watching elites race across London but bf really wanted to go for mtb ride. I really didn't want to go but felt bit bad about it and so we ended up heading to Peaslake in Surrey Hills. Ended up doing 5 miles before pub lunch ( as we left so late) and then another 19 miles. There were some nice singe track bits but really at no point my heart was in it. I really screwed up my nutrition as well and 2 miles from finish my energy levels totally crashed. It was the longest 2 miles I've ever cycled, pushing my bike uphill, pedaling really slowly on the flats and barely making the downs. It seemed to never end and I couldn't even enjoy the lovely single track downhill bit to the car park. :(

However, didn't put me off (but next time if I don't really really feel like it, I'll give it a miss) and this Sunday we're heading off to Isle of Wight for their annual IOW Randonnee, cycling 100k round the island. I think it's probably about 2-3 years ago when I've last cycled that far in a day but we have all day and as long as I'll keep an eye on the nutrition, it should be quite fun. :)

Hopefully everyone has a great time over the bank holiday weekend whatever your plans.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Hey all, hopefully everyone has had a productive bank holiday weekend. 

We did the IOW Randonnee yesterday and had a great time. My garmin was playing up, probably because it was raining so I missed recording the first half, so annoying when that happens. In a way, I can't believe I managed it all as it's been a couple of years since I've done any kind of distance and we didn't train at all. It was so much hillier than I expected but it was a great ride. It started raining when we got to what was supposed to be the half way point at 30 miles. Not sure how much longer we road before we stopped at the pub for lunch and by the time we got back out, it wasn't raining that much any more. From the pub my garmin worked again and the last 30 miles I was really energised. I just can't believe all the hills I manage to ride up without stopping or walking. So proud of myself really. Thought the ride is officially 100k I think it's more like 70 miles with the new detour I believe you need to make every year now. We had a quite a lot of stops in the last 30 miles as our friend we were riding with was struggling with a shoulder pain. We also went wrong once which possibly added another k or mile. Legs aren't even too bad today as had a bath, stretch and tiger balm afterwards. Knees were quite bad this morning but have settled down down, will see what they are like tomorrow. I won't be cycling into work tomorrow though...

Hopefully everyone enjoyed their bank holiday weekend.
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Hey, where is everyone else?

Hmmm, just realised I have not run for 23 days. Last time I ran before today was on Monday before Easter weekend and since then the weekend activities have knackered me out. Didn't realise it was that many days though so bit of a shock and won't be happening again. Legs felt tired on today's run and it showed in the pace but felt good to be pounding the streets/canal paths again. Need to pick up on the distance soon though as 10k booked in July.
  • Options
    BrewyBrewy ✭✭
    The ra<i></i>ndonnee sounds interesting, how many people ended up taking part?

I took a short break from the usual run training as I had a fitness test I had to past so didn't want to risk injuring myself (I passed).

Went back to swimming though and have manage to knock a bit of time off my 400m pace.

Going to try and beat the other weeks 10k time with another one on Sunday!
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Hey Brewy. Well done on passing your fitness test.

I'm not 100% sure but I think they recon about 3000 people do it. There's a short route of 55k and then the round the island route that 'officially' is 100k but is about 112k with the permanent detour as the Floating bridge from Cowes to East Cowes is always closed when the event is on. So it's not quite round the island. Some testing hills as well but the downhills are definitely worth it.
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭
    I have been swimming once a week and done one bike ride a week. Setting myself up nicely for the tri, as I have done no brick sessions or ridden the race bike.
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you Steady. Your tri is next weekend is that right? I really, really need to go for a swim as I need to check if my shoulder will be ok doing breast stroke (yep, still haven't learned front crawl even though I'be been talking about learning it for about 5 years!!! :*) Otherwise I'll have to sack the tri and just do running and cycling.
  • Options
    BrewyBrewy ✭✭
    Lessons learnt yesterday: 
    1. Eat properly the day before
    2. Don't set off too fast

But I did manage to get 53.09 by my watch! 

Hows that shoulder Mikasa, have you managed a swim on it?
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I managed to do a little brick on Sunday morning. 6 miles on the race bike and 2 miles run with a tiny bit of walking. Then went out with friends for a walk and Sunday lunch in the pub. The legs survived so feeling more optimistic for the weekend.

Well done on passing the fitness test, Brewy.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    I seem to be very good at not going for a swim although I really, really must at some point. We went climbing instead on Saturday, then did a short mtb ride on Sunday after which I went for a 3 mile run. Sufficient to say legs were bit tired. Today went to yin yoga for the first time. It nicely opened up my upper back but left what I call a weakness in my lower back. Used to have problems with my lower back but have been fine for ages now so need to be bit careful and I'll need to decide in the morning if I can cycle to work or not.

Steady - well done on your brick!
  • Options
    Had a fun few days in the Lakes. Monday I went for a 4 mile trail run up a hill. Yesterday was a lazy 10 mile spin on the bike to sit by Coniston for a bit (did involve a fair bit of climbing for the distance mind) and last night a 1.5k swim in Derwentwater trying out my new wetsuit 
  • Options

hey, good to see folk doing stuff...I'm mostly sitting around feeling grumpy.  It's nearly a month since I did my back and last week I would have said that it was in the last stages of recovery, but this week it's been a real pain and just sitting is hurting.  My chiropractor lady thinks the problem is on the opposite side of the pain...and is making me hurt in lots of places.  I don't care as long as she fixes it.

On the plus side, it's warm enough to get in the pool and I did a few lengths, nothing much as our pool is only 33ft long...but it was good to get in.

Keep going every one.  Don't wait for me, I'll catch up next time!

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    The Lakes are beautiful, glad you enjoyed.

Sorry to hear your back is still not 100% Pete.

Went for a bike ride with the Pirates on Saturday. What a lovely bunch and nice 31 mile bike ride and I kept up with my non-road bike. Felt ok after the ride. Then I had a 6k trail run on Sunday morning and then started to feel the effects of the bike ride. Could hardly run up any of the hills. But it was lovely sunny day and beautiful surrounding and another trail run done. 

My tri is in 3 weeks time and still not done any swimming. That really doesn't bode well. Just looking at the pool times now. I just hate early mornings...
  • Options
    BrewyBrewy ✭✭
    Check in time.

I have just completed my first tri at St Anne's and thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Hows everyone else doing?
  • Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your first tri Brewy, and for your speedy 10k!

Great training Steady, Puffy and Mikasa, sounds like you've all been busy.

Chin up Pete, you'll be back at it before you know it.

I've been sulking in the corner!  After heart palpitations, change of medication causing problems, and catching every cold/bug going for over a month, I'm finally feeling much better!  Decided not to mope about missing the Outlaw Half today, so did Parkrun yesterday and went out with my cycle group this morning.  There's always next year.  Anyone know if Maths finished?
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done Brewy,

Glad to hear you are feeling better lollipop

I did my Sprint tri last week and was very slow, followed up this Sunday by doing the Hogsmill 5 a women only 5 mile mainly off road race. I was last, so last I had the company of the back runner who I know very well as she was my bridesmaid 15 years ago and a back first aider. I had managed to run about 3 miles before the back and hip hurt too much so resorted to walking, when I got got back to the track that the finish was at, they had done the prize presentation but I got cheered in by everyone although it hurt doing a very slow shuffling jog around the track and a tiny speed up to the finish funnel. nevertheless I got my goody bag for finishing, then queued up at the cake stall for some cake.

I will need to recover and plan my next event which probably won't be long  distance running.

• Options
    Yesterday was the Grafman half iron for me. Kicked off with a halved swim, supposedly because it was too cold but we reckon it was far more likely because of what looked suspiciously like an awful lot of blue-green algae in the water. The water didn't feel all that cold, but it was very, very murky.

20 minute swim, bit of faffing in transition and out on the bike. Really enjoyed the course, as with the numerous out-and-back sections you spend a lot of time seeing other rides. About halfway through I started to feel a bit queasy though and took on hardly any nutrition which didn't set me up well for the run. Some numpty also managed to hit the lap button on my 920XT thereby switching it to transition 2, so I did the last 20+ miles with no idea of how far I had left to go, what my average speed was or anything. Had a few niggly pains on the bike as well but did the bike in just under 3 hours 20 minutes.

The run wasn't much of a run. Lots of walking, little bit of "running". 2 hours 54 or so for the run, clocking up a finish time of 6 hours 46 minutes.
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Well done Steady and Mallowpuff!

I was knocked for six by hay fever yesterday and still felt really tired today as couldn't sleep properly. Feeling better though and planning to go for a swim tomorrow which will determine if I'm doing my tri this Sunday or not.

Entered Oxford half today as by orders from ButterCup! ;)

• Options
    You should never listen to ButterCup. She's a terrible influence.
  • Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭
    well done everyone!
    Lollipop, sorry to hear of your health woes. I didn't do outlaw half in the end, in the run up to it I strained my right calf and just walking was painful. As I am running the marathon for a relay team in the full outlaw there was no way I wanted to make it worse - well, I would have DNFed tbh 

oh well, I saw someone about it last week, just a massager, and I think I basically need to stretch more

did Nottingham 10k on Sunday, didn't want to push my calf too much so decided to start next to the 1:15 pacer and see how it went. Had to run round the lake at Holme Pierrepont. Actually enjoyed the run, finished in 1:14:51 so pretty nice pacing, and my mile splits have never been so even :D

• Options
    LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭
    Great racing Steady and Puffy!  Extra points for finishing even though you were struggling.

Well done on the 10k Maths.  Shame about outlaw half.  Guess we both have some unfinished business there for next year! ;)

I've been rebuilding fitness, mostly on the bike and have started strength training in the gym.  Need to try and get some open water swimming in soon, but weekends seem full at the minute!
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Shame about Outlaw half Maths but a wise decision. Well done on the 10k too!

Can I just ask about the Outlaw half, when do the entries open for next year? And what have been your time splits when you've done it. Just like to have an idea if it would be something I could consider doing next year... Obviously I'd need to learn to do fc which I've been talking about for the last 5 years...so not really sure but would be interesting. Also, why is is so early in the season?

Anyhow, I finally managed to go for my swim to check my shoulder which seems ok so although I may be slower than I'd like and lots of people will probably overtake me on the swim as well, I'm all good to go for my sprint tri this Sunday. Even my tri top and shorts still fit me so no excuses.
  • Options
    You'll need to keep an eye out on FB for the Outlaw Half entries opening. The Nottingham half is pretty much the only Outlaw event that still sells out straight away
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Any other recommendations for a first half?
  • Options
    Vitruvian at Rutland is always a good race for a first timer....
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    Grafman was great. Lakesman are doing a half next year as well, and that is going to be stunning.
  • Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭
    mikasa - I have never managed to do outlaw half! I keep entering but always seem to be ill, last year withdrew because of my mum's illness. I think I am feted not to do it. I think it is when it is because then it sits nicely in the run up to full outlaw, and probably also scheduling to fit in at HPP, as well as the other events OSB run

slightly disappointed they don't seem to be doing the spring tri in the autumn that they have always done in Southwell - I was hoping to do it :(
  • Options
    It's already been, was t'other week I think. Definitely saw it advertised on FB
  • Options
    There's usually two a year Puffy.

Come do the NiceTri sprint in Huntingdon on 3rd Sept MC.... thats a good event too
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭
    puffy - in the past they have done the Southwell Tri in the spring and the Last minute tri in Sept. Maybe because they are running one in Notitngham at the start of sept, (alongside the pro/elite one) or maybe the leisure centre in Southwell are putting the charges up for using the pool - I have noticed in the last year or so they have done registration at the rugby club rather than in the hall at the leisure centre. I know the local school have stopped school swimming, so they won't be getting the revenue from that so possibly putting costs up for other things...