Options

Zip up your tri suit or be disqualified

Comments

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

head up displays - only way forward.....  image

• Options
    Hasnt someone come up with glasses that do that ? Technomolology !
  • Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    cougie wrote (see)
    Go Pro ban is probably very sensible. You dont want people riding along getting distracted and checking that its on and recording whilst people are racing. No distractions.

cougs - you could say the same about Garmins - often being fiddled with so distracting riders.   it's where and how you draw the lines for rules enforcement that new tech is playing havoc with.  ban Garmins as well maybe??   as if....image

In that case, are there any grounds to ban eating chocolate muffins when exiting T1 as I know someone who did just that in Lanza and almost caused a crash due to his penchant for his bike nutrition  image

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

[flicks through rule book....]

nope - only something about chicken wraps now being banned on the bike leg......HTH

• Options

Some interesting debate. My point of view (as being involved in enforcing rules and law for over 20 years professionally and as a volunteer) is that there needs to be the use of discretion and communications skills. As a referee it is termed as contextual judgement.

In a race over 20 degrees heat where you are not putting any water on the run route maybe some discretion can apply. I, and the others shouted at are certainly not elites. Consistency is another good point made by Durhambiker as I was doing the same race!

I also believe that there are different ways to deliver a message. "Can you do up your suit please" is far more palatable than "zip up your suit or be disqualified". Obviously if the athlete ignores the marshal then the message may need to be reinforced with the latter quote. I did zip up my top as ordered!

Please don't take this as an attack on officials as every sport relies on their dedication and willingness to do the role for the love of the sport. Most are an absolute credit to their sport, however, occasionally you find one who lets a little bit of power go to their head. 

• Options

Maybe I went past them so fast they didn't notice. Or more likely so slowly they didn't think I was doing the race...

• Options

I think I must have been just behind you. My chest must have been less impressive.

• Options

What are they supposed to say "zip your suit up or face a stern talking too...or a hard stare"?

• Options

FF, I believe that when you tell someone to do something, you don't always have to tag a threat to it. Most civilised people will listen and do as asked (although 10 years in the East End of London nearly convinced me otherwise).

• Options
    tricoops wrote (see)

Some interesting debate. My point of view (as being involved in enforcing rules and law for over 20 years professionally and as a volunteer) is that there needs to be the use of discretion and communications skills. As a referee it is termed as contextual judgement.

In a race over 20 degrees heat where you are not putting any water on the run route maybe some discretion can apply. I, and the others shouted at are certainly not elites. Consistency is another good point made by Durhambiker as I was doing the same race!

I also believe that there are different ways to deliver a message. "Can you do up your suit please" is far more palatable than "zip up your suit or be disqualified". Obviously if the athlete ignores the marshal then the message may need to be reinforced with the latter quote. I did zip up my top as ordered!

Please don't take this as an attack on officials as every sport relies on their dedication and willingness to do the role for the love of the sport. Most are an absolute credit to their sport, however, occasionally you find one who lets a little bit of power go to their head. 

Imagine your race head is on, you don't want to engage the official, you are under stress load and your capacity to process language is seriously limited. You don't listen to many words said so maybe the only words you'll take in are 'zip up' and 'disqualified'.  Is a conversation really what you want? Surely short and to the point (obviously without rudeness!) is most appropriate to avoid any further delay? Non verbal cues only work for some people and is a load of calling and whistle blowing going to improve the event?

My point tricoops is in a race situation even the most civilised don't engage under normal social parameters.  Ask any official how many people have run off from them, shouted at them and then come along and apologised at the end!

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• Options

Good point well made, SLAW

• Options

I have no problems with zip up or be disqualified being shouted.....

if they just asked you then some might not be aware of the rule and think its a request.........then if they were the same next lap they would be mighty pissed off if they found out at the end they were didqualified.

in a situation surely being clear and consise is what you need.......

the race director or marshall is giving an order not a request.and an order needs to be firm

• Options

in 2013 Ironman Wales.....5 people were disqualified for leaving their transition bag on the steps after the swim. where you change into your trainers.........

thats a lot of money and training wasted because you forgot to take your little white bag with you after your swim......

maybe they thought it was a request not an order

• Options

At the Tonbridge triathlon a few weeks back, I was warned to do my zip up as I went into transition.  I assumed she was simply wrong, because it's too stupid to be taken seriously.

Showing the top 2 inches of my chest isn't nudity and anyone who thinks a rule like this should be enforced, is a c**t.  This is a rule for the sake of having a rule.

• Options
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

At the Tonbridge triathlon a few weeks back, I was warned to do my zip up as I went into transition.  I assumed she was simply wrong, because it's too stupid to be taken seriously.

Showing the top 2 inches of my chest isn't nudity and anyone who thinks a rule like this should be enforced, is a c**t.  This is a rule for the sake of having a rule.

Rather a nasty comment,

You knew and signed up to the rules when you entered, So why moan when they are enforced ?

• Options
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

Whoa - that's a bit OTT!  With an attitude like that, you might want to consider taking up a sport where it's commonplace for prima donnas to think the rules don't apply to them.....like football. 

• Options

Dave- I didn't know that rule.  Every sport I've ever done has been led by a mammoth book of rules.  For example, it would be harder than passing a GCSE to learn even half the rules of golf.  One normally just gets the gist of the rules and hope that common sense covers the rest.

I don't like pettiness, which this zip thing seems to be.  The 'don't enter if you don't like it' argument is a poor one too.  That would disclude me from pretty much all sports, all jobs, living in all countries, etc.

All I'm argueing for is a bit of common sense.  Is that really too much to ask?

• Options
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

Dave- I didn't know that rule.  Every sport I've ever done has been led by a mammoth book of rules.  

YES You did know the rule, You signed the entry form saying you agreed to abide by the rules, You can hardly blame the organisers if you couldn't be bothered to understand the rule.

No point in Rooney claiming his goal should stand, cos he couldn't be bothered to read up on the off side rule.

• Options
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

YES You did know the rule, You signed the entry form saying you agreed to abide by the rules, You can hardly blame the organisers if you couldn't be bothered to understand the rule.

No point in Rooney claiming his goal should stand, cos he couldn't be bothered to read up on the off side rule.

As previously stated, I don't know the rules.  I know a few, such as putting the helmet on and dismount lines, etc, but not the minutae.  It's a bit like driving, where when you pass your test then sign (where amongst other things), that you know your highway code.  I don't know the braking distances and I'm a bit shaky on parking stuff, but I know what I'm doing and common sense covers the rest image

Do you agree with this zip rule ?  I think my bare arms, shoulders and most of my legs constitutes FAR greater nudity than the top few inches of my chest.  Perhaps we could all race in Burkas? image

• Options

It doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with it....

It exists and I can get a DQ for failing to observe it....

• Options

Bit like ticking the Terms and Conditions box on any loan, contract, etc and then moaning about later.

• Options
    Flat Footed wrote (see)

Bit like ticking the Terms and Conditions box on any loan, contract, etc and then moaning about later.

Like people did with the PPI thing?  A bloke at work got fifteen grand last year out of that.

• Options
    team kittenkat wrote (see)

Lol, some of this is making a race sound like a war zone!

Oh but it is war.  I always pack a piece in my transition bag in case I need to shoot my way out.

• Options

I just had a thought.  I bet there's nothing in the rules about not carrying a gun.  So it would be ok to walk around transition with a machine gun and a chest full of grenades, but if you show any chest..... image

• Options
    Faithsdaddy wrote (see)

I just had a thought.  I bet there's nothing in the rules about not carrying a gun.  

Go and read the rules.... The law of the land always take precedence unless otherwise stated, Therefore you can walk round Tesco's with a bare chest as it's not illegal, But the ETF rules modify that for racing.

The law of the land doesn't allow you to walk around with a machine gun, and that is unmodified in the ETF rule book so you can't.

Think if I was you I'd go and take up football, Seems much more your sort of thing