FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• My 3rd GSR too. Let's not take this parallel lives thing too far! ;)

See you at Crieff.
  • Hi folks, thought I would join in to this one. Last year this was my first half and I loved it!!!! Glasgow races are FANTASTIC, the atmosphere and crowd support is great.
    My son spectated this one last year waiting for me to come in and he enjoyed it so much he took up running!!!! He's now done 2 10K's, 2 5K's and 1 half, this one being his 2nd half. I've convinced a young guy at my work to run this one as his first half aswell. So I'm REALLY looking forward to this race.
    This will be my 3rd half and after knocking 9 mins off this time at The Edinburgh Forthside in Apr this year I would really love to PB again at this one in Sept.
  • Hi Bungee, be good to see you and junior Bungee making your way round the course. Who will be beating who?

Would be great to run with my son. We have ran around the park together and he loves to wear my running vests and medals, but at almost 4 years old I don't think the race organisers would take kindly to him attempting 13.1 miles...
  • LOL junior bungee is 23 and 6 ft!!! He will definately be beating me, his first half this year was 1.46 and if I am really lucky I will just manage a sub 2hr at this one. My PB just now is 2.03.38, so we'll see.

As for your 4 yr old, get him started young and you never know lol
  • Hi Bungee how are you doing - fully recovered after Edinburgh I hope? Sounds as though you are on a recruiting drive!!
    That was a brilliant time for your son's first half, even if he is a young whippersnapper.

I signed up for this and also the Amsterdam Half in October. I did 2:03 last year and like you am hoping to break the 2 hour mark so we moght be plodding round together. Managed to get my first long run in ages this morning - 8.5 miles @ 10 min. miles. So far so good!
  • Hey Col good to see ya. Yeh I am really chuffed that he has not only taken up running but loves it aswell, he has lost over a stone aswell which he is chuffed with. He plans to get 10K PB at the Forth Rd Bridge 10K next month as do I!!!! Hopefully.
    For the last 2 wks I've had a cold/cough hanging over me so since Edin my training has gone downhill :-( but I am back on track now and plan about a 8 miler this aft. Well done on your 8.5, its good to get a longish one out of the way lol
    Will look out for in the the thousands on the day!!! lol hopefully we will both get our sub 2hr :-)
  • Hi everyone. Missed out on this last year due to the flu. So looking forward to it this year.
    Finding it difficult to motivate myself to train and it shows. I had a PW (personal worst) at East Kilbride this year. Now i'm doing hellrun on sat. and don't want to go Boo Hoo! but i promised my one and only friend that i wolud go with her.
    Unless someone can give me a good excuse not to go.
  • LOL Bungee - watch out what you wish for! There is deep-seated lurking motivation there!!!!

I ran a 10k recently with 2 of my sons (20 & 23 - funny names but their mother chose them! ) I had to take 2:03 off my PB and only beat the 'non-running' son by 45 secs!

Rally - You have loads of friends on here! and if you need any motivation think of the lambasting you are going to get if you don't get your a*se into gear PRONTO!

Col - well done on the 8.5m. Its a thought to get the longer ones in eh! I did 8.2 yesterday, longest run since Stranraer half on 2nd June - hols over and back on track now tho' :)
  • sfc- still can't be a*sed, maybe go after this fag.
  • Hi folks I though i would say a quick hello and see you all in glasgow for the race. I am entered and the flights are booked.

All the best and good luck with the training

ISB
  • Hi
    This will be my 4th Glasgow and I'm really looking forward to it again.
    A top quality run and even though I'm English,living in Wales (gosh what did I do ever do wrong??)the support from all watching and the banter on the route is second to none.
    See you there folks!!!
  • Andy I totally agree, the atmosphere and support is 2nd to none, I love this race. I haven't had the pleasure of the FLM yet so can't comment on that. But I think that is probably in a league of its own!!
  • Thanks all for not giving me any excuses to miss the hellrun. Just got back and it was great. Never have i had so much fun running. Mud, lots of mud, Magic.
    Now all i need is to get rid of this cold and set my sights on Glasgow.
  • Anyone any thoughts of a meeting point before the start??
  • well thats foxxy and i getting the cubs ready for our hols in aviemore.
    Trainers are packed and looking forward to some scenic training runs
    hope everyone is well
  • Lady fox-have a good holiday.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Hello. Haven't looked in here for a while.* I'm too lazy too scroll back but I recognise some nicks from last year's run.It can't rain any harder than it did then...*

Is the Start still in George Square?I'm not turning up again with my hair in green ribbons unless I get some definite promises of company.Lady Fox? Mick,green ribbons on vest? Any plan to shelter at the front door of the City Chambers?

• ATM-Aye I'll be wearing a white overall again and will put a green ribbon on the front.Ive got a red and white running vest with 'mick the mackem' on the front as well.
    Just name the meeting place and I'll be there.Im usually up in Glasgow pretty early.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    * You should be easy to spot, Mick.OK! Hair in ribbons, again..Just think ' Whatever Happened to Baby Jane' and say hello...*

A few of us found each other at the front door of the City Chambers...hard to miss....the front door, that is...before the warm-up.
  • How handy, haven't been on this thread for a while, but when ever I read about green ribbons I feel at home. Mine have travelled half way round Scotland these last few years. So I'll be at the meet up spot where ever it may be.
  • Hey all

Finally found the thread again - green ribbons and meeting up before the start - if its anything like year it will be a case of getting shelter and waiting till as late as possible until getting on the start line. Although I'd be interested in meeting folk.

Wonder what t-shirt I could throw away this year if required or I might try the binbag approach. I'll just hope for a dry day.

Ian T - how did you get on at Crieff? tough course and even harder with the heat.

Don't suppose anyone here is doing the Donkey Brae 7 in Aberdour on the 29 of July?
  • Aye green ribbon and at the front door of the city chambers.
  • Hello Mick
    Just replied to your posting on the Carlisle thread. I'll be up for a meeting at the City Chambers.

Really strating to look forward to this now that I'm back from my hols. Ran this for the first time last year and have presuaded a few others to travel up with me this year.
  • Hi Cameron,

Fraid I didn't make it to Crieff. Was feeling the effects of picking up my training a fair bit and a niggly calf and all those other sensible reasons that we create in the run up to a race...

Heard someone at my club saying it was 'hellish', quickly followed with 'but I loved it'. A sentiment I think we've all had after a race before now...

I've got the Helensburgh half coming up, and will probably do the Bellahouston 5k on 19th August and Paisley 10k the week before Glasgow. Did fancy the Canal Canter (4 miles in Bishopbriggs) on the 15th Aug but I'm away that night. Anyone else doing any of these in the build up to Glasgow?
  • CaptnHaddck-aye nee bother.Im sure more details will be posted as the event gets closer.
  • Ian T, I was thinking of doing the helensburgh half in the run up to GSR. Have you done it before?
  • Cameron I'm doing Donkey Brae, lovely scenic race.
  • Ian I'll be doing the Helensburgh, Bella and Paisley races as well. This will be my 3rd GSR in a row (and 3rd Paisley 10K) and it is becoming a bit of a habit now. I was supposed to be doing the Helensburgh half and Bella 5K last year but I didn't make it.

If the weather is good in Helensburgh it should be a nice location for a run - especially along the shore road. Then again if it's windy and wet it could be a very different proposition!
  • Hi everyone had a great holiday, weather wasnt great but that didnt stop the fun, we have found a great cross training aid in the form of the kids trail buggy that goes onto the back of your bike - after 14 miles of cycling round the cairngorms with 2 kids in the back foxxy has found leg muscles he never knew he had !!!
    Also tried grass sledging - i was knackered, still trying to work out if it was the hill we were running up every 2 min or all the laughing we were doing
    going away now to look out my green ribbons from last year, good to see the ribbons in the hair again atm, got my hair all cut short or i would have joined you
    when is the helensburgh half ?
  • The Helensburgh HM is a week on Sunday - 4th August.