Saturday 26th May 2007

2»

Comments

• Just had a quick read back.

Well raced Clink, Holly (so close to sub 20), Mike S, Gobi. Sorry if I've missed anyone.

I ran a 10k last night which was a very low key affair. Friends commented on the fact that I was still limping but after warming up with no pain, I decided to race.
    Not an easy one as lots of off road and hills. Me and the leading lady were subjected to a torrent of abuse and spit as we passed some of the local youths who had gone out too fast and didn't want to be beaten by a woman. I lost her at 4 km when I had to walk through a badly rutted field but slowly gained. At 9 km, I was poised ready to take the lead when I felt a sharp pain in my foot and couldn't bear weight at all. Not a marshall in sight so I had to hop my way to the finish (although I somehow managed to hang on to the second ladies prize). Mr C was torn between being gutted for me being injured and being overjoyed at me winning a crate of beer!

Things are not any better today so I am reluctantly not running my HM tomorrow and taking some time off from running.
  • Wabo – I’ve been trying to get to your race reports all week! Finally got to them. :0)

Number 1: stonker half and those last 3 miles sounded not nice at all. AND another 4 races to go! You are quite quite mad Wabo! :0)

Oh crikey Wabs – your calf on the 5 miler. What a bummer and those rocks sound nasty. Amazed you stayed upright! Glad you flew past Bat man you know you would have had him if your calf had been ok. And what a lovely guy that was running in with you too. ..

Reading on now....

Beach run next then! Flippen hec Wabo! But I have this picture in my head now of all of these running peeps in fancy dress running about with kiddies too. What a great race. And you got up that sand dune too. Well done!

Ok so you finish it all of with the marathon!! So you have to do 13 odd hard tough miles with your calf in agony!! That must have been just awful. And then the wind too. Oh boy Wabo – what on earth can I say! What a week you had! Massive respect to you for doing these races and for not giving in. You are one tough cookie that’s for sure! And I will be thinking of you tomorrow when I run my half. If I get self indulgent woosie type thoughts I will be giving my ass a whopping great boot up the jackies and thinking about what you overcame last week. Brilliant stuff Wabo and great great reports too. :0)

Will you post up some piccies for us?
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Clink: Mean? maybe. Lean? Nope. Needs head examining? Most definitely :-)

Tom: What we covet the most often eludes us. Therefore focus on the journey, not the end destination nor the stations of the past. That way at least you can appreciate the things around you right now. Hang in there, buddy.
  • wise words, nrg-b!

Sporta - my vomeros seem to have settled in after initially burning the balls of my feet

What: 19 miles incorporating the NDR course
    Why: LSR & recce, both of course and body
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: yesterday

Leg seemed to cope reasonably ok, but not too impressed with fitness level and questioning the point of racing NDR tbh. 2 weeks to go.
  • Evening,

Hilly - not me racing - you must have mixed me up with someone else.

Scoobs - what time is the half tomorrow? Where would you like me to be???

I ended up on the turbo instead of running today because I wanted the practice in my new bike shoes and pedals. Love them love them love them.
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Agree with Imski - very wise words Nrg-b - we all know what and where we want to be but if we can at least enjoy where we are at the moment, that's half the battle. Happy anniversary Nrg-b - my daughter's just had her 13th!

Some good racing going on, a lot of pain, lots of injuries...

Countdown time now Holly - good 5k!

Well raced, Clink, Mike & M. - sounds painful Caterpillar Girl - hard earned beer!

What: Got my 6100m xcountry race - No 2 on the Grand Prix series out of the way. Always go out too fast, but that's the way I run - always get people telling me to pace myself, but when the 1st VW55 is way ahead of me, I kind of think, well, she's the one I'm supposed to be racing, not the younger vets that I seem to be. Finished 2nd VW55 - got a $20 voucher.
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Good luck Scooby - have a good one!
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Tom - we've all been there, not much to add except get well soon.

What - not been doing much recently but felt pretty OK the last few days so drove over to Kingswinford and did 70 miles on the bike with a mate. Went out round Bridgnorth and Brown Clee - no big climbs like in the Peak but continual up and down and really heavy road surface.
  • Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭
    Ironmel..its starts at 10...a few Forumites are meeting at the lighthouse at 9.30..mind you bet 4000 others have made the same arrangements.... REMEMBER SWRR YELLOW VEST !!!!! number 514

CG weldone on the 10k and second lady prize, what was your time ??
  • Have a good fortnight everyone, and I hope that Wabo doesn't overdo it.

I'm off to Florida in the wee hours, so I expect to run in the jetlagged dawn slot for a week, then collapse. My aim is to keep a calorie balance, that's all. However the intake might just be on the high side of extortionate.

I expect that drastic action will be needed upon my return. Shall we call it "high base mileage"?