Pedestrian Etiquette

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    occupational hazard if you ask me.
    Locally I find most people are aware of me running and are generally polite. Evne had one of the local yoofs chastise his mate for not getting out of the way.

Worst place is along the Thames, London Eye, Westminster, hordes of (usually) french schoolkids 10 deep across the path, or Japanese photographers. Like a chicane.
  • I had a pedestrian move aside for me on the Thames path last Sunday, as I ran by and shouted a cheery 'thankyou' she stopped me to ask exactly why I was running along the Thames in the pouring rain and then ask about the other sights that she could go and see at 7.30 a.m, sometimes it's just easier to dodge the pedestrians. I like to pretend I'm at Brands Hatch! (but oh so much slower! ha ha ha )
  • I find that they are more likely to move over if I make a move to one side of the path. they then tend to move to the other side.

But then I'm not in the busiest place and most pedestrians I see are dog walkers.
  • We have the rule that cars (and cyclists) turning into a side road have to give way to pedestrians and cyclists here too - check the highway code. Though, of course, the point is that many of them don't seem to know it. I always enforce my right - like to think of it as a portable education scheme.
  • I normally just step on to the road if I want to pass other pavement-users who haven't noticed me running up behind them (bloody MP3s!).

A couple of times I've had a bunch of Kev'n'Shaznays deliberately block the pavement. Running directly at them made a path open up as if by magic.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    The Highway code says you must take care when passing pedestrians on a cycle lane and be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. They aren't roads - if you want to ride fast you should be on a road.

As for expecting pedestrians to step aside if you are running - blimey some of you must think you are royalty.
  • <dons tiara and pulls on trainers and velvet cape>
  • I don't think any of us expect people to clear a path where it's not feasible, but it is mind boggling that people block entire pavements where it is feasible. I expect people to clear a space for anyone coming the other way (except cyclists on the pavement, obviously - block them all you like) as a matter of courtesy. However, my tactic, whether running or walking, for people who just don't leave space is to stop - not move out of the way, but stop, to make the point that I kind of *have* to take up the space that one person occupies.

Doesn't happen often, mind.
  • I don't think it's fair to say that those of us who complain expect pedestrians to dive out of the way. But in my small mind, if I see someone running/jogging towards me, clearly in the groove, then it just seems right to do the polite thing and make some room so he/she can continue on without breaking their rhythm.

But then again, my mum brought me up with good manners. It appears that not everyone is as considerate. Don't even get me started on the youth of today! And I'm not exactly that old either.
  • I avoid college kicking out time now as had become dangerous being a 14.5st runner the poor little students walking four a breast down a path with railings each side with a good hundred meter warning still don't move its going to hurt! and probably not me!
    I do give way to other pedestrians so don't worry not bring running into disrepute. but after four times of stopping and then stopping and explaining my frustration to only get a gob full of abuse! you do tend to get frustrated and once you have clipped one normally the biggest of the pack the rest tend to move.
  • Don't diss the youth of today. My kids wouldn't dare not step aside to let a runner pass, and the littl'uns will usually make an encouraging comment too :o)
  • wait till they get to there later teens and away from parents eye!! not saying all are bad but just seems to be the same everytime the college ends for the day of lunchtime.
  • Dan - dont walkers have a rhythm too ? I see no problem with running round people - you'd need to do it in a race.

Seems to me you expect other people to be more gracious than yourself ?
  • It looks like opinion is somewhat divided on this one :) Perhaps the government needs to create a highway code for foot paths - or perhaps there already is one and I just don't know about it!
  • For me, it's just the same "rules" as when walking - no one person or group should make all the effort to move out of the way. Little movement from me, little movement from them, everyone's out of the way. Sometimes it is just me, or just them - fine, no worries, such is life. But if the pavement's blocked then those doing the blocking really need to be aware. Obviously, as a bloke, I can multitask, so am quite capable of walking along, talking whilst also noticing who else is coming along in front of me, listening to what's happening behind and paying some attention to my peripheral vision. Idealised state, of course, but really not too much to ask - if you're unaware, you ought to know by now (and we have to let kids off - that's why parents hold their hands, after all) so don't block the pavement; if you're blocking the pavement, pay attention. That's just general respect for your fellow human beings.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't care if a walker doesn't move aside for me if I'm running, as long as there is room to pass on the pavement or path. What does annoy me is the idiot who moves across as I do and does the old "shall we dance?" routine.

It's all a matter of common sense and courtesy.

As for numpties in Mp3s, I just go straight through them. They do the rest of us the discourtesy of mincing along paths unaware of other users, so I feel no need to take any account of them.
  • I'm with Dog Leash on this one. I too live in a "posh" area where courtesy is clearly a total unknown to the spoilt young people of the area.

I'm a slow, shuffly, middle-aged grey haired lady runner. These affluent yobs and yobbettes (who are actually worse) walk in a mob down the narrow pavement along a busy road. It would cost them nothing to move into single file for a moment to let me shuffle by. No. I am expected to endanger my life by stepping out into the traffic. No again. I have taken to shoulder-barging them out of the way - which usually results in the most gratifying surprise and offense. One of these days I'll get beaten up.
  • As a runner, a little side step from me normally gets a little side step in the other direction from the pedestrian and everyone is happy.

Think we all have to remember that we think as runners... rythm, pace, straight lines where possible, whereas penestrians are normally thinking of getting home for dinner or wondering what's on the box.

Really is funny to see so many people taking the "bloody inconsiderate pedestrains" stance... wonder how many threads on "Pedestrain's World" are taking the "bloody inconsiderate runners" stance... just a thought :)
  • I was once running down a narrow footpath, and this elderly gentleman coming towards me stopped about 50 yards ahead of me and moved to the side. (This made me run faster, as I felt guilty for making the poor bloke stand there!) When I reached him he said "I would never get in the way of a better man than myself." I doubt the factuality of his remark, but his sentiment was appreciated.

If only all walkers were like that!
  • People do that fairly often, leaving a whole path width - I always want to joke that I'm not that wide, but would hate them to think I was being sarcastic (and there's always the risk of garbling it while moving past as a blur) so stick with a big smile and thanks!
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Poor old boy was probably scared you'd knock him over and leave him an invalid if he didn't move - judging from some comments he had good reason.
  • I go out with the expectaion that I will be the one who moves out the way for Peds. Not a problem really Im moving faster than tham anyway. What I find anoying are the ones who deliberatly get in the way and force you off course. Its not as if they cant see me I normally where some kind of Hi viz t-shirt on even in the summer.
    The most annoying thing though was from a fellow runner coming towards me with the local running club. He saw me and as I approched him he actually stepped out and put his elbow out forcing me on to the road. I couldnt go any where else. Now that wasnt very friendly. Oh well
  • There are a few tw@ts at running clubs. It's probably safest to assume everyone is a nutter and avoid them.
  • Let me preface this by saying as a pedestrian, I will always get out of the way of an oncoming runner-I will step into the street and nod or say hello. There is a runner in my neighborhood that will run from behind me right up on me and next to me sometimes even touching me. When I (female) am walking my little dog at night this is scary and for a few seconds I think and feel (fight or flight) that I am being attacked. I stopped him the last time to let him know this is scary for me. He said well now you know it is me and I am not going in the street where there are cars (mind you, this is a residential neighborhood and you can see and hear cars well in advance and there are rarely any cars driving at this hour). This has happened 4 times in the last year so I am not thinking about him...I am lost in thought about my day etc... Give me a break. All I ask is the same courtesy I provide when I see you coming toward me.

• I got out of the way of runners even before I started running, as I didn't want to bugger up their rhythm- cadence, breathing and whatnot. It just seems like a very inexpensive bit of courtesy for someone who is making a load of effort. Possibly this view came from being a habitual cyclist, and having an even more exaggerated view of the conservation of momentum (churning up through the gears back up to a decent speed from stopping etc.).

I will cheerfully wiggle around people, when they're not taking up the whole bloody pavement. That's an issue whether I am walking or running. As those sages Half Man Half Biscuit put it:

Some people don’t know how to walk on the pavement these days
    Well it’s not that difficult, there’s hardly a whole host of ways
    Here they come, love’s young dream, arm in arm, approaching me
    Now, I’m not looking for your smile
    I’m just asking for some single file
    But it’s not forthcoming so I have to assume
    That this narrow path belongs to you
    And therefore you must be
    The Duke of Westminster and his good lady wife
    So, I tell you what, I’ll just walk in the road
    How about I just walk in the road?
    You stay as you are, and I’ll just walk in the road

...so yes, maybe consider not spreading yourself three or four abreast across a narrow pavement, staring blankly at the pedestrian coming towards you, you absolutely rancid cockrockets. If I'm walking rather than running, I will just stop and stare blankly right back, though it's a lesson that may well be lost on the recipients.

That said, if I am behind some people who are spread over the whole bloody pavement(tm), I'm willing to concede that they might somehow have failed to hear the 90+kg bloke thundering up behind them, with breathing like someone waterboarding Thomas The Tank Engine- so I yell a cheery "behind you!". This usually produces results, if only because it surprises them so much. If you adopt this approach, it's best to do it with some meters of slack, as they tend to scatter randomly, and need a second or two to gather their wits. Bonus points are available if you remember to say an equally cheery "thanks!" as you come past.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

An old thread from 2007 resurrected, and I'm on the old posts....

• Nowt wrong with a bit of necromancy.. (noticing dates is for people with spare braincells, too)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Love's young dream, arm in arm, blocking the pavement. Now how to deal with this situation?

Advice from the long since banned Samir Haddad. "Nothing stops me when up to speed, nothing! I mean, there was this pair holding hands taking up the whole pavement. Weren't f...g holding hands after, I tell yer.

Ata boy. S

🙂

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Just to be different, my other half is a walker, and her main complaint is runners, for whom she always steps aside, just ignoring her, never a smile, word of thanks, acknowledgement, just head down and run.

Initially I questioned this, but then after reconsidering, realised that an awful lot of runners whom I meet going the other way, never smile, nod, wave or in any way acknowledge me, even when I step out of their way, or into the road to let them pass.

So perhaps its just a general malaise of modern society, certainly I always say thanks to pedestrians and nod/wave to runners, but often with a sotto voce "Well F*ck U", after I've passed them and they've blanked me.
  • Noticed the date and kept searching for an appropriate place to vent and this was as close as it got. BTW, our sidewalks are narrow in my Townhouse neighborhood and hold 2 abreast max with lots of foliage on one side and a street on the other. Also, for whatever reason there is no warning (sound of "thundering" feet or breathing) he is a quiet runner until he is almost right next to me. A shout out would be much appreciated and that is all I am asking for. Just as you might be in a "zone" I too am in a place of meditation and reflection after a hard days work. Some of the things I read hear blew me away and came off as very ego-centric and entitled. The Golden Rule is a beautiful thing.