Can I Still Run a PB?

Comments

• I'm nearly 39, been running for a few years and regularly PB'g, and hoping to to carry on doing so for a good few years. Paul Evans did his best marathon times in his forties, and I'm sure there are loads of others like him.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Agree with ceal and the other comments on here. But if you want examples, ran a race with a 40 year old recently who had just PB on his 102nd half marathon.

Myself: In my 20's ran around 8 HM's, best time 1:29:30. Took-up running again when 38, never thought I'd break 90 mins again, I did withi 6 months, enthused me to train properly and last hm in March 07 run as a 42 year old 1:17.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    I didn't add that I am 67 yrs next week. didn't start running until 61 yrs, but am still doing pb's. 5k time 22.46 is an example. so if I can you can. Or anybody else can:-))

OuchOuch
    that is a great time for a half, keep it going.
  • Ouch Ouch
    <thud!>

Fantastic stuff. Congratulations.
  • Ceal, I only read about you yesterday and you've inspired me so much. I've been running a few years, did my first mara last year at 3:58, followed by 3:41 Abingdon then 3:38 at FLM in the baking heat. I'd love a 3:30 by the end of the year and in a couple of years, only a dream, but I'd love to get sub 3:15 and toe the line just once at FLM women's elite. Reading about you made me think it may just be possible....

Good luck to everyone in their continuing PB quests.....
  • First of all enjoy your running and the PBs will come,

I started running age 42 and did a PB for 10k at age 55 36-52.

keep going man and good look.
  • Hi Mike.

Given a reasonable amount of consistent training,you can definitely beat that PB.

Sub-43 mins (or even sub-40)is very attainable for a runner in his late 30's/early 40's.Using myself as an example,I started racing and training properly at about 38 and set a 10k PB of 39'27"at 39 which,although I came very close to it on several occassions,I didn't beat until 2 years ago when I was 46.

I don't expect I'll ever beat that new PB,as it would mean an ever-increasing level of commitment that is beyond me,but at 38 you can still look forward to a good 8-10 years of peak 10K performances-provided you do the training.
  • Mike,
    It all depends on what you did when you ran before (ie training, eating) and your general health as oppossed to what you do now. I PB'd aged 44 in half marathon (83:04) 10k (37:08) and then marathon 2:54. Just after my 45th birthday at the end of last year I did a PB for 10 miles (61:34). Basically, I did more training (ie miles) which worked for me. I do think that age is a factor though; however at 38 it shouldn't be such a hindrance for distance running.
    Good luck
  • Returned to running age 37 after 20 years and too many ciggies. Managed p.b on 10K @ 42'18" and 1/2M @94'16" both faster than in my first running life, though am waiting to beat my best ever 10M of 69' @ age 16.
    Am presently laid up with a bad leg through over doing it this winter, so my advice is to train steadiily and don't get too carried away.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Little Lizard
    You sound very determined, I am sure that if you go on the way you are at the moment, that there is a strong probability that you will achieve your goal. All the best to you. You certainly did well to run 3.30 in that heat at London. The heat will have made you slower on the day and the number of runners too.
  • I've done 6 PBs this year at age 44. Better training equals faster times :)
  • course you can, I just pb'd at the weekend there on a 10k, 44.02, and think I can get faster still, also hopeful of pb this weekend for a half and will definately be under 4hrs for a marathon within the year.
    I didn't start running until I was 35, I'm 40 on my next birthday.
  • sorry to but in but, i need a bit of advice of you all please. i am 44 and started training in march this year after giving up my 30 plus a day habit of smoking.. smoked for 26 years. i am currently on a run/walk program and am now on 15 min. run 2 min walk x2, i can cover 5k in 31 minutes, what do you all think i could realisticly achieve, say in 3 months time. my target is to do a full marathon sometime next year. but in the meantime id like to do a few 5ks and maybe a 10 k this year.
  • Thanks Ceal, I will continue to aspire.....

:-)
  • Mike, you can definitely improve your times even as you get older. I used to do minimal training and stayed well within my comfort zone and my times stayed constant 1:45 Half Marathon and 45-50 mins 10K.

18 months ago I joined a club, trained properly (speedwork, hills, distance) and trained outside my comfort zone. At 43 years old I ran 1:40 half and will beat 40 mins 10k this year.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    soo to summarise...

depends how hard you trained in your 20s as to whether pbs over 35 are possible!

if you did 80miles a week in your 20s with speedwork etc you have no chance unless you're now doing 100+miles!

For most mortals they get more into running later so can easily keep imrpoving.

as a 25 year old who's been in the running game for 4 years starting incredibly casually, now training 5 times a week i can see easily training = better times.
    a local inspiration i use is g a guy who did his first half at 27 in about 2hr 15, and now 10years on is doing 1hr 13s!
  • Of course you can PB at 38. I did after returning to running once I started triathlons. What's more all the PBs I set at 38 from 5k up to marathon I've already bettered this year now I'm 39.
    I'll continue to focus on quality over quantity in my training and expect to see my PBs lowered further next year once I've turned 40.
  • I love this thread.
    Every one of these tales is inspirational.
    Different runners, different targets, but all with the same ambition, simply to get better.

Ian, I would suggest you just keep doing what you're doing, gradualy build up on speed and distance, and set yourself a target of sub 60 for a 10k in the summer.
    I would probably be looking for a half-marathon in the Autumn, or next year, before thinking about a marathon. There's no hurry, as every tale on this thread tells you really.
  • My father in law took up running at 40 after only playing rugby. He got his 10k down to 31mins before he was 45.

I've been running on and off since I was at school twenty years ago and have kept a diary which tells me that I still respond to training in exactly the same way as I did when I was 20.
  • As everybody else has said, ofcourse you can but I urge you to be patient and set realistic goals.
    I started running again last year aged 37 after a 17 year gap during which time I had smoked and drank far too much.
    I trained through the winter and ran my first half marathon in 90 minutes and decided to see how fast I could run one if I really tried in my next race a few weeks later.

That was back in March and I wrecked my calf and achillies in the process (don't know the technical term) and haven't run since. I had an operation this week on my achillies to aid recovery and maybe I'll be running again by September.

The point is yes you can get faster but you can't expect your body to put up with the abuse you gave it in your 20s. So set your goals and slowly and patiently break them.

Good Luck..
  • Mike R

Age 39, marathon in 3 hrs 29 mins
    Age 41, marathon in 3 hrs 11 mins
    Age 42, marathon in 3 hrs 8 mins (despite unusally hot conditions)

I think my best time is still in front of me.

ITFAC

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    JRM--he got his pb down to 31mins!!

heck that is quick!
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    The only reason you might not be able to do it would be if you trained to peak performance at a much yoounger age, say in your mid/late 20s.

Doesn't sound as though that is your case, so of course you can.

I'm 50 and so far this year have set new PBs at Half Marathon & 10K.
  • I think it's down to the amount and quality of training you can put in...my training for the FLM this year was the best I have done and at the age of 51 I set PBs at half and full marathon...haven't run a 10k so I have no idea what is possible there for me....must give it a try....
  • In the last 5yrs (and 2 days), I've done 38 PBs.
    New bests at every distance (except 10 miles) in the last 13 months.
    Turned 48 3 weeks ago.

I think it is down to getting your body to adapt to quicker running at a greater rate than it deteriorates thro' age. Logically if you did most of your top running in your teens and 20s, then it will be harder in later years. (Fortunately I did nothing until I was 27)
  • i actually got another PB last night . 5k run/walk..... 31.24. i am sure i will break sub 30 in 2-3 weeks and my aim is to do 25 min 5k within 5 months
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    What is it about the age 48? just like you, jd, i lowered all my PBs from 5k to Marathon, some more than once, at that age. however, i was racing at least once, if not twice a week, somethimes back to back. and i've been paying the price for the past 5 years. if i'd my time again, i'd have paced myself, raced less, cross trained and rested more
  • Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for everyone's encouragement! It seems that a new pb should be achieveable, provided I put in the effort. I ran 48m today, so just need to improve by 5m...
  • Tim NTim N ✭✭
    I`m 57 and 12 months ago had never run before. Personally I ignore most advice and often race twice in a weekend or train when totally shattered.Each to his own-5k time is now 20.20 and 44 mins for 10k. I`ve run 18 mile races with no specific training and will do a marathon later this year with no run longer than ten miles. Believe in yourself and nothing is impossible. The power of the mind is truly amazing.
  • Sorry to drag this one back up, but I'm going to answer my own question. Yes it is possible. New pb this morning, 30 seconds faster than the old one I set some 15 years ago. But wow, did I have to train hard.

Never give up.