Options

Sweat

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think sweat tastes quite nice when it drips into yer gob. A sure sign you're working hard and after a race a thin rind of salt is quite satisfying I find.

There is barely a straight man in christendom who doesn't find sweat on cleavage an attractive sight (er I mean front cleavage not bottom cleavage).

Although come to think of it.....
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Yes, the sight of a lady red-faced, perspiring and breathless is indeed attractive.

I remember it well from my younger days ...
  • Options
    Perhaps we should start a new event. See who's the sweatiest after a variety of distances/exercises. I think I could give everyone a run (no pun intended) for their money in the treadmill section!
  • Options
    "I love that gritty salty residue your skin's left with once sweat evaporates. Oh, and the other day I did my first 20+ mile run and was introduced to the delights of sweat getting into my eyes"

please stop it Lyra O'K - you really dont know what you are doing to me! ;-)
  • Options
    Lyra O'K it took 20 miles for sweat to get into your eyes? Takes me about 20 seconds. I envy you (not just because of the sweat; 20 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    sweat in your eyes?

Vaseline on your eyebrows!
  • Options
    I've no idea, Jel. Am I putting you off going for a run? Heaven forbid.

Ostrich, it was quite a cool day and I don't sweat *that* much. Very slow pace too as the run was 23 miles in total, which is 8 miles more than I've ever done.

Thanks for the tip, Nick!
  • Options
    This is a subject that peturbs me. I sweat loads and loads and loads, I must look horrendous. It starts as soon I begin doing the warm ups! It's really embarrassing. We did a sprint session at circuits on Tuesday and when we were stretching at the end, one the guys asked if I had tipped a bottle of water over my head. He really meant it too! I had to tell him no and that it was sweat! I've just done a lunchtime 5 miler with my friend and she doesn't sweat anything! Then there is the state of Nike (not) Dri Fit cap after a long run! Yeuch! I've been running since 2000 and the sweating has DEFINTELY got worse, not better, over the years too....
  • Options
    I also sweat buckets...it's not that I feel the heat so much as it doesn't bother me...I quite like it hot! 45 mins on a tready has sweat dripping off the hem of my shorts and running down my legs...nice...

However, you need to be aware not just of hydration as in drinking water but also make sure you are getting electrolytes too...most energy drinks have them but if you are doing long runs in the heat then think about adding something else to your water bottle...I use Nuun tablets and they are great as far as I'm concerned...too much water and not enough electrolytes = hyponatraemia...
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    ...just did a quick google on this, and foudn the following text on the BBC site....sadly the link is no longer active

Some people naturally sweat more than others, for example. Also, the fitter you are, the more effectively you keep your body cool - so the more you sweat. ...
  • Options
    I've no idea, Jel. Am I putting you off going for a run? Heaven forbid.

certainly not, more the case that with your stories/descriptions I'm fearing getting a bit of a fetish for it now!! :p

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    ....from the reliable source that is...'Beauty and Lace.co.uk?'

The most concentrated area of sweat glands is on the bottom of the feet, while the least concentrated area of sweat glands is on the back. While women have more sweat glands than men, men's sweat glands are actually more active, and hence, they tend to sweat more.
    Other than genetics, fitness level appears to play the most active role in how much individuals sweat. Exercise intensity plays a role: The harder your body works, the higher the body temperature and the greater the sweat loss. However, as individuals increase their fitness levels, they become better sweaters. Fitter individuals sweat sooner and more. In addition, the body more easily adapts to exercise in warmer temperatures by sweating more.

Some studies have shown that elite athletes can raise their metabolisms and begin sweating in the time period prior to beginning exercise. Their bodies become so efficient that they begin warming up in preparation for exercise.
  • Options
    mmmm, does that mean if I cover my whole body with vaseline the sweat will just spring off me? Eeeuuuurrrggghhh, just imagine how horribly greasy and horrible being totally covered in vaseline would be!
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    giving you a hug would be interesting!
  • Options
    I'm a bit of a sweater too, and while it's usually just funny and a bit embarrassing it can also cause serious trouble, especially in a long race on a hot day. After various mishaps and miseries I've realised that my body is a lot better at dealing with dehydration than it is with salt depletion, and I've had to adjust my drinking accordingly.

If you, like me, sweat more than a gentleman should, I'd strongly advise reading up on both dehydration and hyponatremia, taking salt as well as water, acclimatising to heat before racing in it (takes a couple of weeks, makes your sweat less salty), and perhaps - you'll encounter conflicting views - deciding to drink less rather than more.

One other thing I've learned: you can't rely on 'isotonic' drinks to replenish salts. They do contain some salt but not nearly enough to compensate for what you're losing, and they're only 'isotonic' if you include their sugar content in the sums. Lucozade sport contains only an eighth as much salt as does medical saline.

So I got terrible salt cramps halfway round this year's Ennerdale race. I kept drinking the lucozade thinking it would make things better, when actually it was just diluting me further and making the pain worse. I'd have been better off drinking just water, in much smaller quantities and with plenty of salt. I ran the last twelve miles across the fells with permanent cramp, and I'm not likely to forget the salt again. There are worse things than being thirsty :(

• Options
    I'm another who sweats a bit more than most. The most frustrating part is wiping down the treadmill at the end of a session and continuing to sweat as fast as you can wipe it up (well, almost!). The kind staff at the gym tell me that heavy sweating shows an efficient system, so I'm happy to believe them! I thought that as I got fitter it would disappear, in other words, it was a sign of unfitness, but I sweat as much now as ever. At least no-one ever seems to doubt I've worked hard...even when I haven't!
  • Options
    The amount you sweat seems to be a very individual thing a I'm not getting any better now matter how fit I get (it might be getting worse). I have mega-fit friends and slob friends and I sweat bucket loads more than all of them. Running shorts in nothing other than black or navy for me - trendy grey looks like I've done a Fergie (out of Black Eyed Peas) - nice! And as for my chest and back - yuk. The only salt/sugar replacement that stops me feeling giddy later is High 5, or 'pinky-drink' as we call it at home.
  • Options
    Well after taking up jogging last year l am one of the very sweaty ladies on the treadmill, so much so that l use a handtowel to wipe my sweaty brow as l'm running. Not sure what the men think of seeing sweaty women l certainly don't feel attractive and l don't find sweaty men nice especially if they leave the puddle of sweat on the equipment and floor and don't wipe it up YUK !!

But when running outside l feel great with a lot less sweat.