Tuesday 3rd July 2007

2»

Comments

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I'm a worse swimmer than all of you. At LLanberis in 2002 at Half Ironman my official swim time was 1hr 16 mins. I had more than 1 canoe for support and they kept asking if I was ok

:¬)

I did 3 and improved my swim to 52 mins and then it was step up to Ironman or do something else.

Ultra Gobi was born :¬)
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    You havent seen me swim yet Gobi..... its worse than my rowing!!!!

Plan to make the gym later and also plan a few laps of the playing field all being well. (so will definatly be raining in Andover at about 1600hrs).

Take care
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hi all
    not done much and not felt good tbh

what: club session later maybe
    why:
    last hard: ?
    last easy; entire weekend and monday

take care and hope everyone is ok
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    sit, sorry to hear that
    wp, healing vibes to you
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I can't swim, had lessons about 10 years ago, think I managed 1 width without stopping at my very best....
  • Afternoon folks.

Long time no post for me. Glad to see there's still some fine training and racing being posted. Not so glad to see there are a few suffering who are remaining consigned to the bench. SiT in particular...sorry to hear it's looking like another SF.

Unfortunately, for a number of reasons I remain firmly rooted to the bench...

...I think when I last posted I was trying to deal with ankle/foot problems, including regular visits to the physio. Well, these are continuing, but my attempts at maintaining my base fitness through cycling were scuppered last weekend (and since), firstly through some bike problems, then through putting my back out while gardening! Initially never thought the back probs were too serious and actually did an easy 1.5 mile run the following day (last Tuesday), but woke up the next day in some serious pain. Went to the physio again last Thursday, but wasn't able to report much progress on the ankle front as I'd not been able to exercise the ankle for a few days due to the back pain!!! Then, to cap it all, went a walk on Saturday (marshalling at a hill race) and ended up with the knee pain which caused me grief around the time of FLM rearing its' ugly head again - had hoped I'd resolved this one with all the massage and stretching I'd been having over the last couple of months, but apparently not.

So, the latest report is...dodgy back needing some rest (a muscle strain the fizz reckoned yesterday, thankfully no disc probs etc.), continuing foot/ankle problems and returning knee pain (which first appeared 4 months ago). The various problems might well all be related, but first things first - I've got to get the back pain sorted out and then try to progress things from there.

With the exception of the 1.5 mile run last Tuesday, that's now 26 days without running...probably my longest 'negative streak' for about 6 or 7 years.

Ho hum.

Have a good day.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Thanks for wishes
    Just an update run did not go well in a lot of pain so rang my physio in cardiff thinking she will see me next week when i am on holiday.Oh no I have to see here tomorrow she is worrying me thinks it maybe a rupture:-(

scobos really sorry looks like a few of us on the bench I never seem to leave the blimming thing for long!!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Afternoon all,

WP: Nice to see you back. Healing vibes to the injury.

SiT: Bad news indeed. It's been said before, but surley there must be something deep seated to explaing all these stress fractures.

Scooby: Good to hear from you, even if the news isn't good. Hang on in there.

What: 9m with 10x100m strides.
    Why: It brings a tear to my eye to type the words... P&D
    Last Hard: Friday
    Last Rest: 6 days

Have a good one.
  • Scooby? Scobos! I really am loosing it. I blame a stress fracture - I'm under stress and about to fracture.
  • OK, maybe I'm not the worst swimmer. Can you do an IM with a life vest?
  • Afternoon...another WET DAY ...I CANT STAND ANYMORE RAIN !!!***!!.... I am not joking ...for someone who suffers with SAD ..this weather is BAD NEWS !!and I cant afford a holiday...I am really cheesed off !!!!!sorry rant over !!

I do have plenty of leave booked for the summer months...fingers crossed it will pick up a bit by then ! at least I live in a nice enough part of the country that if it IS nice you dont need to go abroad !!

200....my main aim is to beat ssssshhhh !!!! our ladies senior team !! I just have to tackle to those flipping hills..should be good fun though..are we all going on the bus? I suppose we will find out tomorrow !! how many teams are we entering ?

Not sure what I shall do training wise today..just got up...but probabaly something nice and easy just to wake myself up and get some fresh air

What : easy 4 miles
    Why ; its all I have the time and energy for

Last hard : Sunday

Last rest :4 days

• What: 7.5 hilly Miles
    Why: Base building

Missed most of last week due to weather and then work issues. Also got stuck on site and missed yesterday, except for 3miles or so of fast paced walking.

Today was the first proper run in 10-12 days, and it felt it. Was surprised to find I was only 4 secs/mile slower than a fortnight ago though :)

The water levels on the Don are back to normal levels, but there is a good deal of rubbish left 10-12ft above river level in any bit of fence etc and about .25mile of wall has collapsed into the river near Meadowhall - so I'm not too sure how many of the usual riverside paths are open at the moment.

Have a good day all

Dave
  • And as for the weather. Between 12 and 1 it threw it down outside so I went out in long sleeves and trousers, only for the sun to be out for all but 2 minutes of the run. Was far too warm :(

Dave
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    I'm back again

i knew the lyrics would be well got today listened to an cd yesterday with it on love this song, there were 3 of the songs i was thinking of doing so maybe next time.

All those worst swimmers out there you can't beat me, i can't swim, i've had lessons in the past but no-ones ever managed to teach me

Poppy hope you are fit again soon

Gobi you didn't run to Essex this arfo did you, started off in glorious sunshine (yep!) heard a few rumbles of thunder then it literally lashed down, to a point i was so wet i couldn't of got wetter, so continued my run didn't bale out.

4.06 miles done @ 64 % WHR avg
  • Afternoon all,

Trinni, sounds like a good ride!

BRilly: well raced, and good to see hilly vanquishing more demons.

PG: well raced at mansfield half.

Sorry to hear that the bench is filling up again.

What: 4.5 miles down the thames at 6am
    Why: Not letting my mojo run off again...
  • NN - Am getting really fed up with the rain too! Started off on my run, sun was shining, too warm, took my waterproof off, within seconds torrential downpour. Just crept up behind me!!

flyaway - Think I have missed something somewhere. Have you just moved house?

AF - Just noticed your pic. I take it that sums up how you are feeling at the moment. Take care.

WP - Hopefully your physio is just being cautious. Fingers crossed.

wabo - Wondered where you were. Is it your back or sciatica playing up?

• yes i was wondering about wabo - hope you're feeling better soon

blimey scobos that's a real set of mishaps, wishing you a speedy recovery too

can't believe simon's news again, has nobody been able to figure out why you keep getting the stress fractures? calcium absorption or something affecting your bone density such as parathyroid - have these been ruled out?

gobi - i can beat you on the worst swimmer scenario - been known to go backwards when trying to go forwards :))

have a nice holiday melissa

by accident i managed to get my run done in the dry spot again today and it was lovely too. i think i'm getting the hang of the pace for these medium long runs now; fast enough to feel a bit of momentum beyond basic pace but not too fast to become a tempo run. i think i enjoy them the best of all the sessions. today's came out at 8 to 8-15 with hr at 149 average (which is about 82-83 %) starting at 141 and peaking with 155
  • popping in to leave thoughtsd for poppy, SiT, wabo and special thoughts to AF
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    NN
    Yes, reckon you've got the beating of the SL team, they've got nobody as good as your 1st & last runners. Reckon it is 50/50 against us as well!

Back from my sports massage, less pain than usual but still feeling significantly "freed up" afterwards.

Gentle club run tomorrow.
  • Evening all,

Predictably didn't make it out of the door last night and pigged out in the restaurant instead.
    Despite being nearly as tired today, another attempt to make it outside will be made.

What: easy run
    Why: must...try... and once I get going I'm sure it'll be alright
    Last hard: resisting desert last night, failed miserably indeed
    Last rest: yesterday

Sorry to hear quite a few are struggling at the moment. Take care!
  • Evening all,

Had been a bit worried about today - was the start of my new placement - different hospital, new consultant etc etc. Needn't have wasted the energy -was a fab day, lovely hospital, friendly people and a free lunch! Unfortunately, i did have to stay late and consequentially missed my intended tri club bike session,but such is life, so off out for a circuits sessions instead, lots of fun.

Thanks for the HRM advice - going to buy one next week I think...

Healing vibes to all who are not 100% at the mo' :) Hope you're all feeling better soon
  • Brumliz..glad things went well for you today, its perfectly normal to feel a little nervous though isnt it !! remind me ..what are you training for ?(work wise that is ?)

200..I dont think anyone in the senior team can beat ANY of our runners...except me of course !!
  • glad things went well today brumliz - new jobs are scary.

sorry to hear your injury woes scobos. hope they all get sorted out soon.
  • NN, am in last yr training to be a doctor - most scary! We rotate hospitals a minimum of every 6 weeks this year so I'm going to have to get used to it!! Got to start thinking about applying for proper jobs soon too.....*covers eyes and runs away* That'll be nice :)

Forgot how hard circuits can be - i never want to look at squat thrust or burpee jump again, my poor little quads - out ran all but 2 guys in the class on the shuttles though, so was v pleased, running obv taking effect!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Evening All,

birkmyre: Hope you and the missus are having fun in London.

Poppy: Really sorry to hear about the achilles.

SiT: There must be a reason for all the SFs. If it helps, on the Pose Thread, RW forumite emjaybee has posted clips of his running style at low speed, 7min/mile and high 5 min/mile. He can run ~15min for 3k and ~33min for 10k so is possibly in your standard. He is an awesome runner who trains in minimalist shoes. If you can spare 20-30mins then his post and the all the subsequent posts which dissect his style might be instructive for you, & others.

MtB: Good to see you back. What was the actual injury?

Scobos: Blimey, injury bench gets crowded. Best wishes on a quick recovery.

What: Short fast 30mins on a treadmill
    Why: Rain and taper.

• WP healing vibes; didn't you go to see a 'super-fizz' a little while back ?

SiT, how depressing for you, especially when your running was going so well. Any chance of being fit again for Amsterdam ? And is Mary still planning to do it (I've still got to make up my mind whether to do it or not). For your stress fracture, comfrey (knitbone) is growing well now; email me if you are interested in my suggested advice to speed recovery.

Even worse than being really embarrased to pick up my age-group prize for my awful 10k, was to see in the results later, that I hadn't actually been first, but had clearly marked me as 2nd, so at least they spotted their mistake, and presumably found another prize for the real winner, and that it is up to them to contact me if they want it back - not valuable but would be a hassle to send - a jogger's personal alarm!; any thoughts ?

What: 12ml inc track session - 500 and 300m reps; and drills practise
    Why: if it is light it is just as quick to run across the park to the track, as to take the car, but adds 5ml+ to the session; then 2ml+ warm-up with the group.
    Very sluggish at first, and quite tired after practising very complicated drills, which seem to require an immense amount of co-ordination, but if it helps coach's international runners, p'haps I can benefit too ? But the session got better towards the end!
  • Healing vibes to WP, SiT, Scobos, and a quick "take care" to Stickless, who is not mentioning any need for a brave face.

I'm on dialup, so it's a bit slow uploading and I've not checked back. Staying in Haverfordwest for 2 nights, and I just went out for a jog around the town perimeter when I spotted a club run - heading for Morrisons (er, what?). Had a chat, they were Pembrokeshire Tri Club - nice people - and were just starting a session. Yes I can join in.

1 mile warm up
    10x 300m
    1 mile warm down

I haven't done a proper club session for ages and I thoroughly enjoyed the work out. That's the problem with solo training. You don't push yourself.

I know that it was only 4 miles, and that I am now probably behind on my weekly mileage already, but it was a quality session no doubt. And the (sexist comment) scenery was excellent. 4 ladies from age 17 to 40, 2 blokes older than me, and the 25 y/o coach lad who was obviously the attraction for the younger females.

NB Although I was the same running pace as the coach he'd thrash me in the pool and on the bike.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Blisters, scenery indeed, shame on you! :-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    SiT - really sorry to read of yet another SF. How very frustrating for you. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having 8 SFs. Do you know why you keep getting them?
  • Echo Hilly SiT - hope you can find out what is lacking in your diet or unsuitable shoes etc.

Peter - good to see you back - good half.

TMR - that's a bit of a pickle - but guess it's their problem - guess you could contact them.

What: 16 mins with 7yr old gdaughter - lots of chatting, a bit of walking, then 30 mins by myself before taking both girls to see "Nancy Drew" - school holidays again.

Healing vibes to all those sick & injured.