My Last Run

Comments

• Went out this lunch time for my first run for 3 weeks due to an achillies injury and several physio sessions!

Was lovely and warm in the sun, with snow still in the shadows, very uplifting.

And blow me, I was actually running along with a big smile on my face! Felt brill to be out there again.

Had felt like I was never going to run again and had also been worrying about how hard it was going to be if and when I did manage to get out there!

Fab!

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    A 10am start for the Baildon Boundary Way about 5 miles out of Bradford. It's a multi-terrain half-Marathon taking in a very wide variety of surfaces including track, trail, forest, moorland bog and even the artificial gallops used by Harvey Smith to exercise his horses!

The weather was sunny and cold but a 0.75 mile jog down to the start warmed the cockles and we were off! The contrasts keep the mind alert and off the distance still to run. Woodland tracks were sticky rather than impossibly slippery (as they were on Easter Day when I ran the Guiseley Gallop over part of today's course). A 2-mile canal section whizzed by as I chatted to another competitor, then the tough stuff started with a stiff climb upwards and then through Shipley Glen, where I had to be quick on my feet to avoid tree roots and rocks.

Next, the moors beckoned, broken by the horse gallops, but I felt good and picked up a few positions on the downhills before a pull up to Baildon Rugby Club and home!

2:07 for 13.1 miles (rather different from my 1:39 in 2004 - tempus fugit)
  • 06/04/08 - 7.80m - 1.11.40Not one of my finest but enjoyable, well now I've finished anyway. My foot is playing up again, the Plantar is a bit touchy at the moment, mainly when I am NOT doing anything i.e. after waking in the morning and after periods of sitting down. I know that after a few stretches and walking about I will be able to run. So it was bit also I have a case of tight calves too. Again it was a chance to run them off.Managed to run along my road, Groves and along Windsor until just after Sedge where I had to mount the pavement. All the way up Ryef on the pavement and I was feeling tight. It was at the top I decided my route, longer but about the same time. My split st Circus point was an OK 8.27. I battled up the A40 ,unable to open oput my stride getting to Park point at a slowing 16.10. My run along was hampered by a very cool breeze and again not much from the legs reaching Roundabout point in a fastening 25.35. The Hill run was not too great and reaching chippy point was 37.18. The run along t'other side of Long was long and slow, my legs felt tight. i did contemplate running home at teh library but I had already decided this was about milage and  not time. Reached Taxi point in 51.08, sloqwer than I would have liked but...The run up Hercies was laborious and I managed to lift a bit of speed as i crossed Sweetcroft for a few tens of yards. I dug in up Honey Hill and really made an effort up the Vine and at Vine point I was at a time of 1.03.23. not much came out between theer and home except the home stretch wheer I was able to sprint of kind.
    No where near my best times on this route, I just need to do it more often.Jog Watch - One
  • Monday 7 April 200810:55

14.57 miles – 2:10:54.32– 8:59 m/m av [MB Glad2 –552.36]

Jog Watch – 0.

No real plan at the outset other than maybe rack up a couple of hours of easy trail running on the SandStone Trail.

Started at Manley Common and went into Delamere but got off the SST at first opportunity and went down the side of the bike track. It took me a good 10 minutes before I got warmed up, by then I’d crossed over Ashton Rd and the railway. Got back on the SST by Edisbury Lodge and just stayed on it then. At Willington Rd it started to hail so I thought I’d go as far as the next road,Wood Ln, and turn there, but the hail didn’t last and I was just short of the hour so I carried on to Fishersgreen Farm and then headed back (Out - 7.27 miles - 1:03:21.58 – 8:43m/m).

The wind was against me coming back and it was quite chilly, and it’s definitely more uphill (well it felt that way). The hail started again as I was running past the aerials and again it last only a minute. Took a slightly different route once I got back to Eddisbury Lodge and when I crossed Ashton Rd I went off piste and ended up in a bog. (Back – 7.3 miles – 1:07:32.64 – 9:15m/m).

Still a pleasant little run tho imageand miles in the bag.image

2008 running total –604.44 miles.

• Bugger, just my luck posting this straight after another one of  Marshs' epics image

Just finished a 3 night stretch at work so only a small 3.7 mile loosener for me in chilly Manchester at a pedestrian 31 mins'. That's fine by me cos' it's the biggie on Sunday so there'll be no big numbers from me this week. Just loads of lovely carbs.

Stay healthy all

• 3.93 miles  in 31:22

Missed a lunch break at work today so finished half an hour early and decided to run home. Some snow,sleet,rain showers and a cold wind around this afternoon but as I didnt do anything yesterday due to a day long hangover i felt i needed to get out there.

Left work at half four and knew it was about a four mile run home if i went via a couple of residential areas. Was trying to beat eight minute mileing like i managed to do on Saturday over a four mile distance. Had a day of 'sat on my arse driving' all day today so was yawning and feeling a bit lethargic when i finished work but got changed and tried to psyche myself up.

Anyway - ran as fast as i could and it clocks at 7.58 min mileing so i beat the 8m/m for the second time in a row. Will run back to work tomorrow but it will have to be a shorter two mile route. Will decide in the morning whether to go for another sub 8m/m or just have a pleasant trot.

Well done everyone who has got out today or yesterday - i felt really guilty as i didnt do my sunday run but it was totally self inflicted by a large overdose of alcohol on sat nite - good nite out but i felt like sh*te all day yesterday.

• All fab runs posted and well done to those who raced over weekend. 

Only went out Saturday morning for a 5 miler - that was after being out clubbing until 2am the night before I may add *cough cough* Martin image but unlike you I only had a few alcoholic beveridges image but I had yesterday plus today off, must of caught up with me as I don't do it often.  

Was back to my yoga tonight after the easter break though so feel the benefits of having the teacher again - do not do enough on my own!

Looking forward to my lunchtime run tomorrow now.

• Right, aiming to get my mojo back this week (as iRUN would say!)

30 mins fartlek this evening. Quite enjoyed it really, and pushed myself on a quite hilly course.

2.59 miles 11.34min/miles (probably 12.30 on the slow bits, and 10.30 on the fast bits)

The last 30 mins fast I did was only slightly fast than that. Maybe I should adopt a fartlek approach to all of my fast runs!

Anyway, it's a good start to the week, and it was a bit of a novelty being able to run after work in the light! I even left my ipod at home, and didn't feel that I suffered for it.

Next 10k is in six weeks (Bognor), so plenty of time to get back into it. At least I won't be stopped by snow this time.....

DH - if you enjoy looking at the stats from your garmin - try doing a fartlek session and looking at the heart rate stats - fascinating!
  • Monday evening

4.55 miles, 50:45

Run alone tonight, my normal training partner has a leg injury so is on a forced rest.  I missed her though, she pushes me when I get lazy.

Anyway, nice comfortable run, my bum was hurting me though in the last mile.....dont know what thats all about!!  Probably get my husband to massage it later image

SazzaG - I may take you up on that one, my highest currently is at the top of a steep hill, I reach about 178/179.  Anyway, glad you enjoyed your fartleks, you will have to let me know in a few weeks whether they are having a real positive effect on your performance in your normal runs.

Graeme123- Keep your chin up, I know you must be peeved but a few days rest now will help you avoid months of forced rest later. Thinking of you mate. image You'll be back out there soon.

Jogwatch: 5

• Evening all.

Been away for a few days so just catching up on what's been going on... great running everyone!! RogW - congrats on your sub 45... knew you'd do it! image

07/04/08 - 5miles - 37:51 - 7:34m/m av

Like I say I've been away for what was a somewhat boozy long weekend with friends so this was the first run in a few days and I must admit my body didn't feel too happy with the abuse that I've given it over the last couple of days! image

Combined 2 of my usual routes tonight for a change and was really looking forward to it. Found it pretty hard work from the start though which is fine... I was kinda expecting that! Slightly weird thing was that the soles of my feet were really sore, it may be that my shoes are dead and that it's time for a new pair. Will see how I get on at tomorrows club run before deciding though.

Jogwatch: 2

Happy running everyone! image  

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    0550 5-mile recovery run round Crosby - cool and still. Muscles sore after event on Sunday but no lasting damage.

5.5 miles, 46 min. Not at all disappointd with that.

JogWatch: 2 but they wre on bikes, cross-training

TaxiWatch: 2, chatting on opposite sides of road - why not get out and meet? Car driving posture not highly recommended, I hear.
  • Tuesday 8 April 200812:35

5.07 miles –38:14.12– 7:32 m/m av [Nike Free Trail –77.79]

Jog Watch – 40+.

Easy recovery run today. From near the park in Helsby along Chester Rd towards Frodsahm. At the top of the first climb a school yard full of children were shouting for me to get there tennis ball which had gone over the fence , I stopped to get it but someone else beat me to it.  I carried on down past Helsby High and this is where I saw the 40 plus joggers, well, I say joggers, they were the kids from the high school doing their PE class/cross country/road run? and very few were actually running, a few were running 20 meters then walking the rest were just walking, but I'll lump them all together as joggers.

After the school I turned off down Godscroft Ln to avoid the long dull stretch ahead and followed the lanes until I came out of Dig Ln, then turned back and along Tarvin Rd avoiding dullsville again.  Added an extra bit up Bates Ln and the Old Chester Rd so I got at least 35 mins in.

Legs felt a weird mix off tired and springy? Good run tho.image

2008 running total –609.51 miles.

• Hi all you ploddersimage,

Its great now theres more daylightimage,puts the spring back into your steps does it not image.

Just been out for 7 mile run at 7-40 to 9min pace taking 54 minutes, outward into the wind was tough at times specially the hilly bits,return was fine with aid of backwind.

That makes 20 miles in last weekimage,not done that for ages!

Next run for me will be thursday  night with my Bungay Black Dog clubmates, what a great bunch they are.

April total 20 miles

Jogwatch - 0

Enjoy your runs guyz & galz image

• Hello all image

Lunchtime run for me, same route as I done on the 27/03 - only second time doing this one but it is a nice one to do with a few small hills and verges to run on.  Heavy drizzle when I headed out from work then after a while it eased up a bit.  Across the dual carriageway and out to the country roads then back in and round a part of the industrial estate before heading back to work and felt good from start to finish, could of easily carried on but pah had work to do so headed for the shower.

4.53 miles @ 40:03

Jog Watch - 0

Horse and Cow Watch - Lots

• My last run before Sunday so nothing too clever from me. A short 4.7 miles in a leisurely 40 mins.

Right, now for that King Prawn stir fry image.

Jogwatch - 8

Hellos - 2

Pavement watchers - 6, miserable gits !

• Run to work - 1.65 miles in 12:36 (just a little one)!!!

Ran home from work last night - see last posting - so had to run back in this morning. frosty start to the day down here with lovely blue skies, I wore my thin gloves and actually wore my running jacket - most unusual for me.

Steepish downhill for first qtr mile then a long steep uphill past Fordington Church , puffing well at the top with the climb and the cold air. Long downhill again to the old White Hart pub and crossed the road to follow the river path and a flat run for the next mile. Slight uphill through the industrial estate and into the back gates of work. Fairly easyshort run - just enough to get the blood pumping for the day and my last run before Sundays 5 mile fun run.

Jogwatch - 1 but she didnt return my hello (unusual for around here)

Just worked out distance/time and it is 7.38 m/m - fast speed for me and i wasnt pushing it - but it was only a short distance.

Well done everyone - ABAB - good luck for your race Sunday.

• Thankyou mr2, couldn't lend us a few of your sub 8 min miles could you image
  • image Magnificent Summer beckons! image

08/14/08 - 5.30m -    45.13Oh this was much better all round. Really went for it tonight and felt the best for a while. I love running. Iwent out  without a bottle and no music. Tried to make the most of the last light of the evening. Left just as the sun was fading and sot off quite quickly after some stretches. Made it all the way down my road and Groves and only had to mount the pavement on the other side of windsor/Ryfe just before the corner. tried to run up the whole of ryfe and had a few times where I had to mount the side of the pavements there too. A nice run out along Long and crossed at the Post Office and ran along the island on the left hand side of the road. My split at circus point was a nifty 8.08, i don't think I've ever had a split that fast before, I knew i was onto a good time tonight.I raced along the A40 and twice had to run on the road, once on the slip road end to pass a ped who insisted on filling the gap on the inside of a road sign. the other was the road sign further up, Ijust am not thin enough to pass through  a 6" gap!My split atPark poiny again was superb at 15.27 and i really made an effort to run down the Park as fast as I could, even managing to run through the lights at the Gardeners. My time at Roundabout point was againa best 24.45 and I still had more to give. I opened my chest and pushed forward with great speed and really made an effort to run up the Hill keep going once past teh Vine and along the Uxb Road. I missed the spilt at the chip shop so took it just over the road as I ran through the BP lights at a flat out sprint (the lights had turned green)!Even managed to keep the speed up down the hill of Long to the library and kept a decent speed up along Sutton. After passing the roundabout I tried to kick once more, yes still more enrgy was pumping and as I passed Dean I went into over drive and as I made the home stretch I made one final sprint home. I am extremely pleased with my run tonight, not the best time but one of them and certainly one of the best high's for a long time. Superb!Jog Watch - 2
  • First time I have felt like posting a run, just a 5.5 mile run round a very familiar route, included three faster miles in the middle, and although nowhere near the pace I would normally be, I at least enjoyed opening up my lungs and feeling some burn!!

Saw quite a few runners out, passed a bloke who looked reasonably quick, I was in the middle of those fast miles and wasn't really showboating  'onest.

• gmikegmike ✭✭✭

Tonight - 7.30pm - 6.59 miles - 49:36:00

Club run tonight. We went all over the place. I've lived in Benfleet for 25 years and I've seen country lanes I never new existed. Up hill, down dale, off road, through churchyards, across football pitches ... you name it we went there! Managed to clock some ridiculous times tonight. The last two miles or so were on familiar roads so clung for dear life to the 6.30 pack at the front ... fast short strides right on my toes ... felt superb. Then a major downhill stretch so followed Marshallinis lead and kept it real loose, on my toes, no heels, no braking ... and clocked 5.11 ... OMG ... didn't think i was gonna stop at the bottom. If only I could do that on the flat. Averaged out at about 7.40 with the up hills and muddy lanes ... not bad at all.

Up until tonight I'd had a right sh*tty week so far ... work stress ... mortgage renewal stress ... I had the right hump! but a good blast with my new running chums has sorted me right out image

Love Running ... Love Life.

• gmike - know how you feel, there's nothing like a good run to sort you out when life's proving a bit frustrating!

ABAB - good luck for Sunday... and to anyone else running of course!

08/04/08 - 7.45miles - 1:02:30 - Speed Session - Club run

Out for another speed session with the club tonight and it was a killer but I've no doubt that these hard sessions will be beneficial. After a warm up jog we did 4 x approx 600m followed by another jog of half a mile or so and then 4 x approx 300m, another jog and then finished with 4 x hill reps of approx 150m before jogging home.

Hoping that all this speed work will prove beneficial at the 10K I'm doing on the 20th, really want to beat my current PB of 42mins.

Good running everyone!

• BB ✭✭✭

Hi Guys - great to be back - lots of great running going onimage

I have run hardly at all for the last 3 weeks due to this virus thing I've had and I've really missed it. Today it was a beautiful day, bright and sunny but still with piles of snow around - a bit surreal really. I went down the seafront after work and did 4 miles on the prom in 38 mins - felt great to be running again even if 4 miles was the max I could do at the moment. You're right gmike, running really is uplifting and I am going to get out there again tomorrow even if it is only 2 or 3 milesimage

Jogwatch: too many to count on the prom tonight

• Glad you are feeling much better B. I noted you hadnt posted on here for a bit.
  • iRUN – nice effort, glad you’re enjoying it again.

Wow gmike a 5.11 that’s really shifting, great work there.

Welcome back B.

Monique - Mmmmm battenburgimage

Wedesday
    8 April 200812:20

7.8 miles – 52:35.35 – 6:44 m/m av [ekiden]

Jog Watch – 2.

A tempo effort for me today, round the block up the A41 then the A5117 into Capenhurst a lap of the 5k race course and back out.

Started off a little tense, stride was a bit choppy. Went thru the first 2.21 miles in 14:37.22 (6:37m/m) then started the 5k course, it is definitely not hilly and I wouldn’t even say undulating but it seems to be uphill all the way, except the last few hundred meters, or maybe that was just the way I was feeling today as I did set my 5k pb on it. As you can see from the splits even with the little downhill at the end I was slowing down. (1k 4:12.19, 2k/3k 8:21.66, 4k 4:13.23 5k 4:16.09 = 21:03.176:46 m/m).

Back out the way I came in, in 15:11.27 (6:52 m/m). Actually felt a bit better once I was back on Dunkirk Ln, but overall not the best run I’ve ever done.

2008 running total –617.31 miles.

• Mine was this morning, went for a run at 6.30am into Pangbourne and back along the Thames.

It was freezing cold but stunning with frost on the ground and the sun shinning through the fog. I love it when I can run along the river, beats the roads thats for sure. Did about 5 miles.

• BB ✭✭✭

Thanks for the welcome back Marshimage Your run sounds lovely Andrew - another great thing I love about running by rivers is that they are usually flatimage

I went up on the South Downs this afternoon - such a beautiful sunny day, rolling green hills and the sea shimmering down below - fantastic! I did 4 miles in 39.52mins - it felt quite hard with the hills, but just great to be back runningimage

Jogwatch: nil
    Rabbit watch: lots

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    A dull, damp start for my constitutional, with an unwelcome hailstorm 20 minutes in image I've run most of the soreness out of my legs from last Sunday's caper and enjoyed chatting to my friend and planning more events.

5.5 miles, 47 minutes

JogWatch: 0
    TaxiWatch: 2
  • Tonights run, 4.83 miles, 56.43

New route, quite challenging with some mighty hills involved causing my heart rate to get up there in the higher zones, but loved getting out there in perfect running weather.

Nothing much else to report, keep up the excellent running all.

Jogwatch: 3

• Yey, my mojo has returned!

Trying to do my runs in the evening now, so headed out about 7ish. Feeling a bit hungry and thirsty, so didn't really know what to expect.

Toddled along my usual route along the A29, aiming to do 45 mins steady, looking for a pace of about 12.00m/m. First mile gone - 11.19m/m wow! OK, so it's mainly downhill, but still damn good. Thought I'd see if I could keep it going.

And I could! Nice consistent pace, just slightly slower going up the big hill, and a nice strong finish.

3.93 miles 11.27m/m Hooray! The last fast 30 min run I did was only marginally faster than that, and I thought I was going to die!

Soooooo nice to feel real improvement.

Jog watch - 0
    Mate of a mate watch in RW mag - 1 (the partially sighted guy - lives with one of my work mates)

Good running everyone!

• SazzaG - nice one keep up the good work!

09/04/08 - 9miles - 1:12:05

Bit of an odd one tonight. Really tough 9miler with some nasty hills in it, a regular Wednesday night route. Legs felt really heavy the whole way and I found the hills harder than usual tonight, yet when I got back I found that I'd done it 2mins faster than I've ever done it before! Guess the fact that I'm running faster whilst not feeling great means I must be improving!

Still never done this one at sub 8m/m... but I'm getting very close! image

Jogwatch: 6