An observation about cyclists...

Comments

• V-Rap - I should point out that that study was carried out by an anti-helmet campaigner, and the cyclist in question (whether helmeted, unhelmeted or wearing a blonde wig) was always himself.

Studies show that that study was one of the 96.7% of studies which are absolutely unreliable, yet gets straight onto the BBC news feeds without being questioned.
  • Any excuse to wear a blonde wig eh ?
  • Cougs - You might not survive a direct car strike with a lid or without but your chances of not being a vegetable are much better with a lid.

"It's jus foam"....

Like saying it's just plastic

If it delaminates, loses serious energy in the process, and stops your skull having to do it then it's worthwhile.

You're talking bollox

• Cyclists who don't wear helmets are known in medical circles as organ donors!

A helmet probably won't have much effect if you get hit at speed by a car but it will if you fall at lower speed and hit your head on the ground or another vehicle.  It might be the difference between being 100% okay and having mild concussion.  But it could be the difference between having mild concussion and being dead.

But it's individual choice.

• I'm all for freedom of choice on the matter, but I've never understood how the anti-helmet lobby would explain why cycling seems to be the only activity where a helmet does no good, or more harm than good (presumably they don't think that motorcyclists, skiers, rock climbers et al should de-lid?).

Still, I shouldn't get wound up by this - the problem with the cycle helmet debate is that everyone (on both sides) believes what they want to believe and you never get anywhere.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    I agree with Stump - my OH got knocked off his bike by a car a few years back and his helmeted head hit the car hard and luckily only the helmet was dented and not his brain. I agree it is personal choice, but haven't heard any good arguments not to wear one...
  • I rarely wear a helmet. More than once I've ridden into a low tree branch with a helmet when I certainly know where my head is in relation to obstacles. I also reckon I can't see as well behind with the helmet, but that could be the particular helmets I have.
  • Freedom of choice is a can of worms though as people who end up with severe head trauma instead of concussion as a result of not wanting to wear a helmet aren't the ones who will be footing the bill for the treatment though?
  • I only wear one for road racing - and that's because it's compulsory.    I prefer the feeling of not wearing a lid to wearing one - simple as that.   There is no statistical evidence to show they are beneficial - and there are plenty of studies that have been done.   Yes common sense tells you they'll help in some instances but I do think people massively overplay how effective they are - if it was the case then some effect would have shown up in the studies that have been done.   

I think a lot of people wear them because they feel a bit worried by traffic - it's a way of boosting their confidence - maybe their bike skills aren't that good.     I must admit even if it wasn't compulsory in a race I might wear one because things can get a bit jittery in a big bunch of amateur cyclists and anything that gives you a confidence boost that you are safe is useful - in other words you kid yourself it will help so you take more risks. 

• It's personal choice.  Let's not turn this into a nanny state.

I always wear a helmet when going out cycling properly.  I don't always when commuting - I am more likely to break a collarbone or simply be run over.  I also sometimes listen to podcasts/radio/music when cycling.  My choice

• Oh Nam that is such a poor argument.   Apparently you are more likely to suffer head injury on a night out drinking than on a bike - so are we all to wear helmets down the pub - it's just vanity that stops people doing that isn't it - I mean that's another of the crap arguments people make about wearing them on the bike. 
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

the helmet displaces the kinetic energy caued by the impact of hitting your head on something, i.e. dents / breaks into little pieces / cracks etc. If your not wearing one that action will occur on your skull, dents / breaks / cracks etc. Your choice.

• MedalsMedals ✭✭✭

If you want to wear a helmet, fine if you don't, fine. 

It's a free country.image

Swerve's right, not worth getting phased about.

Like the idea about a blonde wig thoughimage

• I', not sure...  The one guy I saw wearing a helmet today was the only who looked as if he knew what he was doing in terms of his road awareness etc.  It was the ones without helmets that were weaving around, almost falling off when 'indicating' etc.
  • Stump - what I'm trying to say is that a helmet is not the be all and end all of safety. Don't think that just cos you have a helmet on - you're safe. You aren't.

OK a helmet is safer than no helmet, but do the risks drastically increase if you forget your lid ? I dont think so.

I've run into branches before now whilst running and fallen a few times too - are runners next to get running helmets ?

• Presumably they also work for car drivers and pedestrians - are they never involved in an accident ?

The presumption that you are making is that cycling is somehow inherently dangerous.

• 3 crossed posts - that was for Marty
  • ... well you're more likely to be hit by a car as a cuclists because you're always in traffic/on the road...  As a pedestrian you're only at risk when crossing?  So it would seem obvious you're at greater risk as a cyclist... unless you're a pedestrian who walks in the middle of the road...
  • If helmets were compulsory, we might not foot the bill for so many head injuries, but we'd be paying more for the health care of people who didn't take up cycling as a result.

Popsider, you can't counter one crap argument with another. Have you compared the person-hours spent in pubs with the person-hours spent on a bike? If you have, I apologise, but if you haven't, your logic falls apart.
  • If helmets were compulsory, we might not foot the bill for so many head injuries, but we'd be paying more for the health care of people who didn't take up cycling as a result.

Making seat belts compulsory didn't take many cars off the road!

• Yeah but cars have seatbelts built in. I've yet to see a bike that has a built in helmet.

• Good point Swerve but the argument as I read it was the risk was greater in a pub than on a bike - hour for hour - and sure enough I reckon I've spent longer on a bike but never had a head injury - whereas I've been knocked out whilst walking home from a pub - so anecdotally it seems right - apology accepted.

• Personally I'd quite like the seatbelts to be removed from cars and have a spike on the steering wheel. Then lets see how much more careful drivers are.
  • No, Nam, but driving is the easier option than cycling, and you don't have to pay extra for a seat belt.
  • MedalsMedals ✭✭✭

I wish someone could invent a helmet that doesn't make you look like a t*t.

• That spike will be good when someone shunts you in the back!!  image
  • I just remember the same arguments from my dad when seatbelts became compulsory..  They feel restrictive... don't like them, my choice etc...  Now everyone accepts them as the norm and if you go through the windscreen because you weren't belted up people will say it's your fault?
  • same for motocycle helmets
  • Going off topic kind of, I was in Berlin last weekend and loads of people cycle there. Also in France and obviously Holland. It seems so much more cycle friendly than here in the UK. People also seem to ride much more ordinary bikes (shopper type things rather than mountain or carbon fibre racers). Is it just because it's flatter or because they have been doing it longer?
  • Seat belts are built in, Helmets aren't....

WTF

I have an old car that I had to put belts in. What has that got to do with the price of bread?

I only wear them in races because I have to.....

I wonder why that is...

It should be personal choice......

Why?

Riding a motorbike without a lid isn't. Is that a human rights issue?

I accept the point that a helmet isn't the be all and end all of safety and that riding defensively will save you far more grief than damage resistence but these points are avoiding the issue. The issue is that people think they look like a t**t in hemets and are vain.