Dublin Marathon 2008

Comments

• Have I ever driven crap cars?!

Currently tooling about in this

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1008/1396202932_e7ba5ef400_b.jpg

pretending that I am in the Krays, we have a shooter in the boot and I'm the wheelman getting us away from the Sweeney after that blag...

Hard to give a summary of the book - they mention 4 key attributes for successful marathon running and specifiy training to improve those.  Worth a read but tough looking schedules...

• Yay hello SJ! Good to see you back! Yes, I did a mini ultra 5 weeks ago (only 30 miles so technically an ultra, but really just a smidgen over a mara, so I'm not really that hardcore...)

Think I may well try and do both, but at the moment diary for next year is three maras and two ultras, which seems  bit heavy for a lady who only did her first 10k in 05!

Sadly that won't include Dublin next year, though if funds permit, I may try and come over and cheer everyone else on. However, as I have no plans to get a proper job, I have to say that's looking unlikely.......  

• Looks like life on Planet Amadeus hasn't changed much then! Still as eccentric and detached from all sensibility as ever - don't go changing, the world would be a much poorer place.

(((DTB))) Ultras scare me but clearly they appear, for some unknown reason, increasingly popular. I read somewhere recently that there will be a 100k race at the London 2012 Olympics which, based on my limited knowledge of geography, means it will probably finish somewhere in the middle of the English Channel or Scotland.    

SJ 

• Amadeus -

Having another crust grabber had meant I have been refecting on my life recently. You know - where it's all headed, my role and responsibilities, making a contribution to the local community and broader society and above all else, the overwhelming obligation to preserve the planet for my dependants.

Then I thought about all the stuff we need to cart around with three girls, so I bought one of these:

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/emotion/entertainment/gallery.Par.0266.Image.jpg

Principles are no substitute for practicality.

SJ image

• Just realised that Connemarathon is only 22 weeks away.  Eek.  Trying to decide between Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 and Intermediate 2. 

Want to start a Connemarathon thread but afraid of the thread jinx now.Scarey!

SJ, maybe you're hanging out with too many runners if ultra's are becoming common place!  ha-ha... 

It's a bit like people I know who spend all their time down the pub.  The friends they make also spend all their time down the pub (that's how they get to know each other in the first place) so it doesn't seem to them like they're drinking too much as everyone else they know drinks the same.  QED! 

• *tuts at SJ and hands hinm a spade to go and plant some trees*
  • DTB, do you have a link for Seville please? I've tried http://www.marasevi.vianetworks.es/ and it's unavailable.... don't worry I'm not stalking you, need a spring marathon to get over the disappointment of Dublin 07 image
  • Thanks LR, I was kind of hoping it would instigate a rant about global warming and a lack of social conscience from Amadeus (just for old times sake) but it would appear he hasn't biten this time. Obvious out trying to start that motor of his with some jump leads before doing an impromptu impression of Inspector Morse around lovely Limerick. image

SJ 

• GMI - we've started a Seville thread here Seville 08 thread

HH has a link there to a google translated page - you have to click on the 'marathon city of seville' link on the left....

• Ta, just updated it.... good luck to all doing Dublin next year !!

May be back if all the others fall through image

• It's not a tree he needs to plant it's a brand new amazonian rainforest.  Tragically I think that years of sheepskin coat wearing as he paces teh tatty forecourt has softened his brain much more than the vin rouge he knocks back in vats... 

Actually I can't give out to much because Mrs A went and swapped our lovely 5 series for one of these awful things:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/12/01/030379.1-lg.jpg

It's neither a proper 4x4 or a decent car.  The things I have to put up with image

On a brighter note I am finally about to go out and do my first run since Berlin (yay!) It's only a gentle 4 or 5 miles but it means a lot to me...
  • SJ,

others on the forum were aware of Amadeus's wive's car (hope I'm not over-apostrophesizing on that one).  Hence the lack of spirited response from him.

Since he's from Limerick we try not to rile him too much (don't be fooled by the gentile Moorse-like car).  Fact-if you type "stab city" into the Wikipedia search engine, you're directed to the Limerick page.

Hi GOM. 

• LR -

Not sure my warped sense of humour comes across well in written form. I was aware of the delights of Limerick so my application of the adjective "lovely" was purely for alliterative purposes. With hindsight, lively would have been a better choice.

Amadeus -

Clearly Mrs A should stick to Prada Handbags and Jimmy Choo shoes instead of buying rubbish bavarian motor cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Actually, that's a tad unfair, I've heard the X3 is fine, provided you're not in a hurry and don't like corners. image

Right, off out for a run now.

See you later.

SJ 

• Wive's rather than wife's?  I have more than one?  Dear God I can't take it!!

Just back from my first run since Berlin, a lazy 4 miles.  Now I've taken around a month off and spent most of the last 10 days cooped up in cars, planes or buses (yuck).  Added to that is my Wii tenis injury (my arm is bloody sore!) .  And I took it fairly handy.  But even so I was more than 90secs a mile slower than I would have expected image  Looks like teh road to Rotterdam may be a hard one...

• Thanks A! 

I assume that the Rotterdam reference means that the Rotterdam marathon is next on list to be conquered.

SJ - yes, you'd need a sense of humour to refer to Limerick as lovely all right <<scuttles off before Amadeus can knife me>> 

• I just  checked your Wikipedia reference - I can't believe that.  As the Daily Mail would say "something must be done..."!  Limerick is lovely - I've lived here for 7 years and I haven't even seen a fistfight or scuffle never mind a knife or gun. 

Rotterdam is a def maybe.  Badly Drawn Bob from Dublin 06 is 99% confirmed so we might run it together, we're roughly the same pace.  I just need to persuade Mrs A that it's acceptable for me to jet off...

• I hate that you can't edit posts.  I always press Submit and think "oh I meant to say..."

Did I hear you say you are doing Conemara?  That's my fall back but I want to try to finally nail that Boston time and I don't know if Conemara is the place to do it. 

• I laughed at you having more than one wife amadeus!!  (Plus how sad is it to get a computer game injuryimage...I ask you!! )
  • URGENT REQUEST

Footage of the 2007 Dublin Mara is being shown on Setanta Ireland between 1800 and 1900.  I thought I was covered on my Sky package but I'm not.  Can anyone who has that channel possibly record it and burn to DVD for me, and then send or email.  I will pay any postage costs etc.

Cheers!!!!!

• HI Amadeus, yes I am going to do Connemara.

Funnily enough I was just posting on the Seville post (popped over to say hi and got asked about it) about the race.

As I said on the Seville post, Connemarathon is a fantastic race-the most amazing countryside, a fantastic mix of participants from ultra's to people walking the half marathon for local charities, fearsome hills....  I'd urge any runner to do it at least once, just for the experience.

The entry fee is steep but it's very organised when you consider the logistics.  You also get lots of lovely free food afterwards as well which is like manna from heaven!  (even if it is only pre-packed sandwiches and buittoni spag bool!). Entries tend to fill up fairly quickly.

However my feeling about it would be that it's not a race to do if you're looking for a fast time, it's just WAY too hilly.  The times for the marathon are posted on the web site if you want to have a look at the average times.  If you do want other's opinion on it then I'd post the question on runireland.com(the offical chat site for connemarathon) or on the galway harriers or athenry ac clubs.  There'd be people there with the same pace/aspirations that you have that would be able to give a good opinion about it.

I'd also factor in plenty of recovery time due to the hills as well. I don't want to sound negative about it, I genuinely think it's just the most incredible race that everyone should try and do at least once in their life, however it is more of a "run-for-the-experience" race rather than a "get-a good-time" race.  If nothing else, while I know that everyone has a time to aspire to, it would be a waste of the scenery to spend your whole time stressing about times and paces rather than enjoy running through the wilds of Connemara.

Hope this helps.  It's such an AMAZING race!  Plus of course, it's only down the road for you as well which is a big advantage.  I can provide you with a full list of suitable Galway shops for browing/purchasing for Mrs. A.

(ps I agree it's a real pain in the butt not to be able to edit posts) 

• As a member of Athenry AC, and a finisher in Connemara in 2006, I can reiterate that it is a tough course, but a fantastic one to boot. Now, I do know people who have run BQ's there, but they would have probably run them 10 minutes faster on another course. By my own reckoning, I would say 10 minutes plus is what I'd expect to be above my usual time there.

Great to see that people are already planning for 08, so I better get the taxi sorted out and make sure early arrangements are in place for Pick-Ups from the airport image

I'm off to Philadelphia in two weeks, having passed this years Dublin, and then in February I will be attempting my own Boston Qualifier in the US again, this time in Huntington Beach at the Surf City Marathon in California (Don't think I'll start a thread for it - image).

I already have an entry for Connemara, as I had to miss this years and got a deferral, and all will depend on whether I make Boston or not, as the races are 2 weeks apart.

Talking of Connemara - did any of the Irish based runners see that great planning by the (un)Great Ireland Run organisers who have picked the same day for their race next year - April 6th. We get few enough Top Class races here, shame they are scheduled on the same day.

SJ - I remember you from my runs with Jo, she has told me all about you - look forward to seeing you here next October 

• hi all, found you all at lastimage

been thinking of trying connemarathon again too, i think it was 2004 i done the half, hard but lovely, im hoping having a goal in april will get me on track again for dublin next year considering my demise this year!!!

• Thanks for the welcome Liam.

I'd really love to return for 2008 but based on my normal "death or glory" approach to these things I'm not going to get too carried away just yet. I'm just happy to be back running, losing weight and feeling better in myself for the meantime.

Good luck with your races over The Pond. I'm very jealous.

SJ

P.S. I still think the words "Connemara" & "Marathon" should never appear in the same sentence. As if it isn't hard enough!   

• BTW - thought you all might be interested to know that I just read that MP3 Players and iPods have been banned from this years NYC marathon on Health & Safety grounds. I'd imagine the IAAF will probably implement this as a standard policy in all major races in the not too distant future.

That'll be popular then!

SJ 

• Liamimage. Thanks for the after race tour guiding - lots of fun.

I am hoping to get over for all the Irish marathons next year. I have just found out that Dublin will be in my half term again.

Good luck in Philadelphia.image

• Liam I will say it  if  nobody else does , lucky S%&^&%^&D , make sure you enjoy ALL the facilities on offer image
  • well with all this talk of ipods and music

think I've found the new theme/running music for Dublin 08... well hopefully if it takes effect (god, now it sounds like a virus) but I defy you not to start tapping your heels or even start playing air guitar to this

new song

a classic! 

• sorry that should've been dodgy air guitar (goes without saying).. damn non-edit facility