I keep collapsing

Comments

• Well done, Dougal and I agree with Plodding Hippo, if you were my patient I would have read your notes with interest too. You are an example to us all on keeping strong and positive. Love Marge, xxxxx (Writen on Moo's computer) xx
  • I saw the oncologist this morning. He had reviewed my CT scans. He tells me that, although there is a long way to go, the chemotherapy is working as planned.imageimageimageimage

I don't ask too many questions as I find a little knowledge is dangerous when dealing with cancer. I am very content with what he told me.imageimageimageimage

Thanks again for the continuing support.imageimageimageimage

• Good news indeed (I came across this thread a day or two ago and have been fascinated with your journey), keep up the PMA Douglas xx
  • great news Doug!!! imageimageimage
  • Brilliant news and re amount of info you choose to be told = less is more  imageimageimageimageimagexxxxxxxxxxx
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

as Lady sue, I have been following this and just want to add, good news and you are a star.

xx

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Good news indeed,keep us up to speed.
  • Sportaloo - could you bring yourself down to the Liverpool Half next Sunday week and set yourself up with some loo roll, soap and water and an air freshener? That'd be great, thanks!image

Douglas - So pleased to hear it's going well. Do keep posting because a lot of people really are very interested in your progress and are willing you to get well again and get back out there!

• Yeah, I watch this thread with great interest. My Mum beat cancer twice and one of my closest friends (and running partner) has spent the last few years engaged in battle royal with it.

May you continue to fight with spirit and honour DJ.

• (((Douglas))) all the very best. Jiggi x
  • Hi folks,

I've just got back from hospital having failed my pre-chemo exam. I have another go on Friday so it's not a problem. If Ifail on Friday, I believe that they have ways of boosting you up too pass standard, though I haven't enquired too closely as to what these ways are!

The oncologist reckons that I'll be OK to run the 2009 London Marathon, but gave no guarantees as to what would hppen beyond 2009. That's good enough for me and I'm very, very happy.imageimageimage

I've been given lotsof exercises to do, mainly daily Powerbreath work and low weigh functional resistance work. Having said that this week is zero exercise to try and boost my blood for Friday's exam.

I'm very humbled at the bravery and attitude of some of the other cancer patients that I meet.

Keep well folks and be happy,

Douglas aka Leaping Wolfimageimageimageimageimage

• Failed your exam ?

You should have revised harder instead of wild nights on the town DJ   image

Hope you look after yourself and get fit for Friday 

• Just read through the thread because I am nosy, and blimey! At least they caught it early.

You sound incredibly positive, Douglas.

The failed exam: I think my dad failed one once (out of 12 sessions, not too bad). He too had a positive attitude to it all as the prospects were very good, and that must have helped. That and all the reiki my mum and her friend were sending him behind his back image

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery, and may you have a great run at FLM 2009!
  • Douglas - did you get caught cheating, with the answers written on your sleeve?image

I have no idea what "failing" really means, but you sound anything but a failure to me, so keep going and continue with the positive attitude! I'd look out for you on the telly in 2009, but hopefully, they'll have let me in by then and I'll be running it with you!

God bless x

• Just stuck my beak in - may all counts be in the right ranges on Friday. 

Really glad they see you as a runner.

Keep one eye firmly on those trainers.

best wishes flying your way. 

• Liverbird: they look at the count of certain values in the blood before starting the chemo session, just to make sure your body can take it. If those values are low, then they won't start that week, but perhaps the next. It is not the end of the world, but it may indicate that your body is finding the fight to get back to normal after the previous session a bit tougher. It's amazing how fine-tuned chemo is these days. At least that's what my dad told me.

Fingers crossed for Friday, Douglas. I think it's great they see you as an athlete!
  • Doug, i am sure your counts will have bounced up on Friday , dont worry about the means they have to boost your counts. they will only give you that if you really need it because its very expensive stuff ! 

That will be why they are being cagey, not because it is in any way unpleasant for you.

best of luck (and everything else that might help)

Kate

• tinebeest, thanks for the explanation!

Come on Doug! You deserve the boosting stuff because of your positive nature! And we want to see you running!

• I was just having a browse and caught up on this thread and followed it out of nosiness (I call it interest....). Got to say Doug I was shocked but you are a massive inspiration to many and I am in awe of your PMA.

Good luck and here's to 2009!

x

• Hey DJ. Another nosey forumite here. Good to hear that you are staying positive. Chemo must be pretty tedious stuff, so great that you have plans for what to do afterwards. I look forward to hearing how FLM 2009 goes for you! I just finished reading Lance Armstrong's first book this afternoon - It's not about the bike. I know it's been out for ages, but if you've not read it - I really recommend it. I'm sure you've had it up to your eye-teeth with stuff about cancer - but it's one hell of a read - his cancer was quite advanced when diagnosed and he had some metastases in his brain and lungs.... and we all know what he did after chemo. It just goes to show that it's possible to be *dangerously* fit after cancer. I just know you're going to have a blast in London in 2009. J xx
  • so good luck with the bloods today!
  • good luck for today DJ - I'm sure you'll be fine!

• Good luck today Doug, can you phone a freind if the exam's too difficult??
  • Well I squeaked past the test with a gnat's whisker to spare and a mark of 1.44.  

However, because I only scraped past the test, they're giving me a white blood cell booster tomorrow. Walktallkate is right about the cost. The single jab tomorrow is a £1,000! It's meant to stimulate the bone marrow into great spurts of activity.

I got to the hospital at 8.30am and theylet me out around 4pm after having my full dose of life-saving chemo. The chemo drug is covered in a black plastic bag as it's light sensitive. They have a special sterile room at the hospital to make these chemo drugs and they actually make my chemo drug on the morning once they know that I've passed my test. The whole process is quite labour intensive when you take into account how many people are involved. It's quite humbling when I think how many dedicated professionals are involved in my care............and all because I smoked albeit a long time ago.

I love having my chemo, because it's what will save my life.imageimageimageimageimage

I've been chatting to the nurses. I get the impression that cancer patients come in two types; there are people like me who want to know very little about the disease and treatment and there are patients who want to know everything.

When it was thought that I had "heart" problem, I was an avid googler of all things relating to the heart. I discovered that I knew very little and th the more I discovered on google, the less I actually knew. By the time I was actually diagnosed with cancer I had come to the conclusion that (for me) a little bit of knowledge in a lay person's hands is a dangerous thing and can mess with one's head.

I guess everyone has to make there own decision about how much to learn about their illness.

Thanks again for all your support.imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Great going, Doug, will be thinking of you tomorrow.
  • One of my friends has a golden rule: never google your illness. You're very right about a little bit of knowledge in a lay person's hands and head.

Glad to hear you passed image Good luck with the jab tomorrow, hope it does the trick! And there is no price to health, not even if they say it's costing £1000 a jab image
  • Excellent!

Go for it.