thursday 15th November 2007 Well Your faith was strong but you needed proof

2»

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

clink I love the way the fields look today too, hope your shoulder eases soon

Minks, I like free weights too! Trying to talk my boss into getting some for our new factory when we go there!

what: run from garage to work with rucksack thi smorning, 3.75 miles ish, 36 mins felt great, got to run to club then possibly do a club run too, depends whats left in the tank!

why: car gone in for mot and service

last hard: tues

last easy: yesterday

take care all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hilly - sorry i was out running. I don't run everyday as such. Sometimes i have run 7 days a week.  6 is more like it (5 is the average year-round). All my runs currently i keep under 70% WHR. I agree with you recovery and easy are 2 different types of run hence why i asked the question. When does a run become too long to be really called a recovery run. I guess you're right My runs at present probably don't really warrant a recovery run

• Hi all.

Club run yesterday was interesting.
    We set off and after a while I found myself with 3-4 faster mates going at reasonable clip and one of them commented 'you look very comfy today, you're just jogging'. I replied 'yep, it feels very comfy right now, but my lack of training lately seems to mean that the range between feeling like jogging and running flat out is extremely narrow at the moment'.
    About a mile later, the pace goes up ever so marginally (or possibly even stayed the same on a long incline) and I'm in trouble. HR up, breathing suffers, stomach bloats. Profetic words earlier apparently!
    Jogged in (real jogging) and turns out my total time for the route was exactly the same as a few previous times where we ran fartlek-style with some really hard efforts. Must check my watch for some details on what we got upto until I dropped off. It might have been rather faster than I realised. (I only record during club runs, run by feel)

I just don't have the endurance at the moment for nearly 10 miles of quite hard running. I think the last few weeks of 1 hardish club run and 1 hard xc race make hardish running feel comfy, but I just can't back it up. Dodgy knee seems to hold up reasonably well, so hopefully I get round to actually doing some training to rectify that shortly.

Apologies for a rather self-absorbed post.

What: rest
    Why: work chaos (disk now officially dead)
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: tuesday

• drewdrew ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

What: 8 miles including 5k TT
    Why: haven't been feeling great recently and wanted a comparison with this time last year. Ended up doing 18:09, which was a few seconds better than last year. Pleased that I was able to push myself to the limit with only a few beats off my MHR at the end.

Has anyone else noticed that their 5kTT pace is pretty similar to their 10k race pace?

• Afternoon all,

Stickless:  Well done on 5th place.

clink:  Hope the injury clears up soon; just enough to allow golf, but not enough to allow hoovering.

hilly:  BR on a driving range!!!!  Did he wear his HRM? 

melli:  It was a bit of a weak joke, but I'm glad someone got it. 

imski:  self-absorb away.  It's what the threads for.

Recovery runs?  Whatever they are, I them run too far, too fast. 

I though it was quite common for elite athletes ( and Wardi image )to take an end of season break of 2-4 weeks?  I think Mo Fara's missed the national road relays 'cos he was on a break.  And some elite runners do continue running after their prime: Liz McColgan and Sonia O'Sullivan come to mind. 

I see John Brown's taken his ball home after loosing his lottery funding.   Get your training schedules out; there's a vacancy for the UK's top marathon runner. 

• What:  10m with 10x800m in 2:37 with 400m in 1:49 recovery
    • Why:  Need to sharpen up
    • Last Hard:  Today.  I should have increased the recovery, but there's a vacancy for the UK's top marathon runner. 
    • Last Rest:  15 days

Have a good one

• i like to hear the detail of a training run, self absorb away imski we love it and learn from these stories. getting back in a outine after the knee problems will make all the difference

pammie - on recovery
    only in the last couple of years have i done them properly and i think the answer is - it depends. i.e. on what you are recovering from. after a hard or long race i would do between 3 and 5 miles and try to go no faster than 9mm. if it is from a less demanding session then i might do up to 7 but still keep it slow and easy

thanks for well wishes on my golfing and hoovering injury
    melli - too many portaloos??
    minks - the physio did something in my neck, not drastic like hitting it with a hammer but medium to firm manipulation of the upper spinal joint from both sides. i wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't been there but there was instant relief in the elbow, which she said is because it frees up the nerve. the shoulder is going to take a bit more patience and effort
    last time i had a long term golf injury i trained for a marathon
    i never said that

good luck M for saturday - hope you find your way to the end and home again!

and good luck to DD in the AD half tomorrow - you're ready for a blast

i had a fab 10 miler in beautiful sunshine at lunchtime.
    pb'd for this particular route in training at this effort which  made it all the more enjoyable.
    i'm comfortably below 8mm on the long runs now which hasn't been the case for almost 3 years. would be wonderful if the improvements in training come through in the winter racing, time will tell. a short sharp 5 mile race on sunday is next chance to check progress, should really be a 5k tune up per the schedule but my team won't thank me if i stop at the 3 mile point will they  image

• crossed with AF whose advice i like re the hoovering.
    last christmas i lacerated my toe on it. someone is trying to tell me something
    mrC is fast becoming an expert
    never empties the blinking thing after though
  • Afternoon..

what is the difference between and easy run and a recovery run ?

Last nights club run was annoying really ..too much stopping and starting..when we were actually running the pace felt right...as long as it didnt get too hilly..which it did...200 joined us ...by mistake..instead of the usual race back to the track I decided to keep my pace steady and add on a bit as I could see it was only going to be about 6.5 miles..I carried on past the entrance to the club house...much to the amusement of my mate...to round it up to 7 miles...in 61 mins...sounds slow..but loads of annoying stops...and not always I add ...to wait for me...but to cross busy roads ...Veru kind of you 200 to stay with the new girl...she seemed ok on the flatter sections..

What : 5 easy

Why : sheduled easy run

Last hard: 5 days

last rest: 4 days

• Nice pace for the longer runs Clink ...8mm image
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Interesting comments ref easy / recovery runs, I think I probably only do easy runs now as only run a max of 5 days a week, but saying that my easy runs are probaly the same pace that I would do recovery runs at, only that the easy runs would be longer.

Plus like Hilly run very much to how I feel as dont have a HRM and dont really want one either.

What 11m in glorious sunshine (1:38:04)

Why LSR

Last Hard - Yesterday

Last Rest - Tues

Take care

• Lots of nice running related chat

My running is mapped out for me and all set to HR the one I struggle is the recovery run it should be lower but I am working hard at itimage

a year ago would be 140hr which was 78% know I can run at 128 if I try really hard to run slow but the hills get me everytime and I have to stop myself pushing hard up the hillsimage

I will not be wearing a garmin or my HRM in my next race as I find i run better without constantly looking at screen to see what i should be doing;-)

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Evening everyone, just dropping by, not really got much time to post today, the washing up is calling!

RFJ - how's the ankle doing? 11M obviosuly shows that it's doing OK!

hilly - nice run, good session! What time are you planning on running around Newmillerdam on Saturday? I wanted an LSR as it's the Barnsley 10k the next day and I'm marshalling so won't be bothered to go out afterwards.

What: a club run at moderate pace, I reckon
    Why: endurance training
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Sunday

• Hi all

What - rest (off to the Theatre tonight)

Why - rest day due that's why! Did good 3 miler with the club last night in the cold brrrr. Really enjoyed it and feel that my legs are coming back to life after the long lay off yay!

Will be out again tomorrow night for some more.

Have a good evening folks x

• Do you know, Mr Hoover had a partner for a time called Spangler? Wouldn't it have been better to do the Spangling?
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    FL - thanks for asking, yes its fine, very blessed that was only minor damage, its not 100% but if I keep on the road or the track for the next week or so there should be no problems, have got the wobble board out too.......
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

AF.. good of you to mention me in the same sentence as elite athletes image

My club treasurer recently let slip that his mother has no less then 7 working vacuum cleaners in the house.  She only lives in a small terrace house, the mind boggles!

20 miles bike commute immediately followed by 6 miles moderate/brisk run with clubmates.

My early morning runs are always recovery runs because I am still half asleep and not very good in the early morning.  4-5 miles in my case.

• Evening

What: 5.7ml easy or recovery
    Why: the last 2 days have been harder & longer, and I want to be fresh for a steady run tomorrow, and harder longer runs at the weekend, so today I do less and run at a much slower pace.  Is this a recovery run, or do I just call it and do it 'easy', cos I know that if I ran harder today it would comprise the next days ?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Wanted: brit to run a 2.08 marathon
    Must: want to be British and accept that as he is NOT a sprinter he will probably not get funding
    Must not: have a back door nationality to run away to if things go against him.

I'm off to start running 200 miles a week and take 40 or so mins off my marathon by London. :¬)

Seriously though, back in training startng Monday

What: 6+miles AM d&d
    5km at lunchtime d&d
    2.4miles + plyometrics d&d
    Why: Thursdays are like this
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Saturday
    Lyrics: I'm just in a void as usual
  • Howdie!

Sporadic posting as I'm busy with some carpentry every evening, making fine use of my woodwork O level. I'd been quoted £2grand to £3grand for a home office fit out, and I wasn't too keen on that, especially as they were just bolting modular units together, and not solving spatial challenges. So I've now spent £700 at B&Q on flat pack stuff, as well as a few nice tools (men, huh!). The thing is that I have to cut down virtually every component to create the correct desk height and drawer configuration. But it looks good so far. Training has been affected though.

11 miles at comfy pace, approx 7:15m/m I suppose. Running to feel. I was surprised how hard I had to run at the weekend to keep up with Dad of Two on 6:20 pace. Definitely just above HM pace. It looks like I've got a little dip in form. It's been a great year though.