FLM Training: Wardi

Comments

• Cheers Steve and Wardi.

Steve- Read your article in the 'Marathon News Magazine', describing the elite males. Interesting read, however, you seem to have missed Wardi out!

Wardi- looking forward to that race report.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Well, it could have been worse, not sure if it could have been any better.

Half way in just under 68 minutes and felt comfortable and in control. We then turned into a strong wind which proved to be troublesome for most of the rest of the race. As a result my pace suffered despite my best efforts and the target time gradually slipped away.

I finished in 2:21.06, not sure what I can take from this. In the conditions it is not a bad time for me. The problem is that this is my 4th consecutive target race since the turn of the year that has been 'spoiled' by strong winds to some extent. Hence I am not hitting my target times. Same for everyone I know but I do notoriously suffer in the breeze.

I finished 6th in the V50's and my dear fiancee clocked 2:58 to reinforce her sub 4hr prospects.
  • Great run Wardi in the conditions

they must have edited you out of the preview I did for the LM Magazine. Has yours just arrived Phil? Mine hasn't come yet.

it would be nice to reach the targets but its more important you run well and know you could do it in better conditions and reach the one target that really matters next month. Hopefully London won't be as windy.

that's a great first 10 though - you must have gone through half marathon in under 1:30 - excellent training.

• It was breezy out there Wardi, and while I managed to hold my pace to bag a 2:14:20 I was going past people from the 10 mile point so I wouldn't worry hugely about it. Think I was running alongside you (and the 2:15 gang!) for a while around the point you hit the loop - Horsforth Harrier top. 17 - 19 hurt didn't they! 

• Wardi-  Good run Wardi! Got battered by the winds on Sat myself. I reckon its harder to dig deep when you're battling the elements!

LM mag arrived Sat. Provided a nice top up on the morale front. Just need to grab a good time next weekend, then I can concentrate on the London.

• Take the positive Wardi: you got out there and did the whole "race practice", thing. Not only that, but you delivered a long run at the target effort level. No matter that the resultant time wasn't what you had originally planned, it's an investment in the Bank of Mitochondria.

Personally, I blew most of this weekend, but did get out tonight for my customary 9 miles, delivered at 7:05 pace. Oh well, I suppose that the wise thing is to ramp up gradually...

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good effort Wardi.

I ran a 20 at Bramley last Feb in 2:21 and reckoned I was on for a sub 3 attempt.

I have posted before about how hard running into the wind is and how much energy it saps, get the windy races out of the way now.

You had a real good workout, the Tergat is still the same and the wheels never came off.

I run in the wind a lot cos of living on the coast so reckon that a windless run through London should be a fair breeze.
  • Wardi - Could have been worse I could have breezed past in the last mile eating a pie.
  • Good effort. We are having superb running conditons here at the moment. I hate windy conditions...knocks little people around. ONly a couple more hard weeks before taper..bring it on.
  • So much for my concept of a gradual ramp up.

Car to service today. Used as an excuse for a few miles.
    16.5 am, nice and steady.
    4  pm, knee feeling ropey.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

• Retreated indoors today, as the wind looked ferocious! 10K on the treadmill, with the last 8 at M.P. Initially felt much harder than I would have liked (either residual tiredness or my brain having nothing else to concentrate on).

Anyone else running the Bath half this weekend? Hoping to crack a p.b. and dip under 1hr 25min.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. Rather bad news from this member of the Dream Team today, I do believe I may be injured.

I was fine after the race but last night my left shin started feeling a bit cranky and slightly uncomfortable to walk on. Closer inspection revealed a petite pois sized lump on the front of my shin. My first reaction was 'OMG a stress fracture'. However I can hop on the left leg pain free and bash the shin with a blunt instrument without shrieking so maybe not.

I am hoping that this is merely a warning shot, though I hasten to add that I have had no past symptoms or warning of this happening. I am also praying that this is not a stress fracture. I have an appointment with my Doc on Thursday, it is the lump that is bothering me. Until then no running until further notice.

Ice treatment has already begun.
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Ouch!  Hope it's nothing too serious and you're back running very soon.

• Wardi sorry to hear.

Hopefully it isn't something serious and a few days rest will put it right

• Fingers crossed it's not... I was out for the second half of last year with one...the hop test was the clincher before the scan confirmed it. I could not hop...I fell over the pain was so bad. Of course running on increasing pain for 4 weeks prior was not the smart option.

• Morning Wardi . . as others have said, sorry to hear about the injury and I hope it proves to be something that will disappear with the minimum of trouble . .

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. As I can hop and climb/descend without severe pain I am now guessing that I don't have a stress fracture. Now the leg has settled the mild discomfort is right at the bottom of the shin very near the foot, it just twinges slightly when walking. Maybe a pronation type problem?

It has improved slightly after ice packs and anti inflammatories in the last 24 hrs so I am ever hopeful.

If anyone who is currently training wishes to submit to this thread to keep it going please feel free. It will also serve to lift my spirits I'm sure. I will keep the medical reports coming in!
  • Sounds positive Wardi! I reckon with your high milegae, a few days of recovery or even a week, will not harm your fittness at all.... you never know, you might even gain a little.

Did a speed session tonight; 1m warm up then 2m, 1.5m, 1m and 0.5m at at 5K pace with 4 min recovery jogs between intervals. Legs still feeling a little tired, especially on the into wind sections.

Going to taper heavily before the weekend Bath Half!

Wardi- What are your thoughts on the benifits of running the day before a race?

• Wardi

continue the icing, rest up and get some good treatment and diagnosis.

re running the day before a race, it's probably a personal preference - I like to do a fairly easy run of half hour with a few strides - others like two days off.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Phil.. some folks say rest on the Friday and have an easy 4-5m on the Saturday.

In my case last year I took a slightly risky approach.. awoke early (0700) on the morning of a 10m race. I had a steady jog of 4m, light breakfast, shower, then went to the race which started at 11am. I ran within 30 secs of my PB. Slightly more risky over a half-m! I don't think an easy 4 miles or so on the Saturday will do any harm. Depends on what you are used to.

2 days without running, I can't say I am quite missing it yet with yet more abysmal wet and very windy weather up here!
  • Hi Wardi,

I have been watching your progress closely as I am also trying to break 3 hours at London. (Did 3:00:31 in 2006 then had knee surgery last year so could not run).

Anyway I thought i'd take this opportunity to post a comment as I too am having a few bad days. I have been following RW Sub3 programme very closly up until now. All runs were going well (I have missed the odd run here or there but not bad overal since December). Anyway I did Silverstone half on Sunday and to my dissapointment came in at 1:26:10. I'm very worried now as 1:23 is a very talked about time for a sub 3 attempt and I was 3mins off that. I tried a 5 mile rec on Monday and had to stop at 3 miles as my right lower leg (shins and calf) felt really strained. I have had a few days rest but it is still not right so I think I'll try a run tomorrow (Thursday) to see if it has improved.

I wish you a very speedy recovery Wardi and I hope that we can both get a sub3 (i'll be happy with 2:59:59) in just under 5 weeks time. Good luck at the DOC on Thursday.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wardi,

That's exactly where I had pain and I stupidly ignored it and ended up with tendonitis and binning FLM. You're doing exactly the right and sensible thing treating it now with rest, ice and inflammatories. Take it easy and good luck!

PS: Did my first session of speed work last night - only 4 x 0.5 @ 10K pace off equal distance jog recoveries but it was good to blow the cobwebs away. Hopefully I can spend the summer reducing my 10K PB if I'm careful and sensible.
  • Joolska - that 10k PB of yours needs a serious kick in the teeth whether you're sensible or not.

I know you ladies tend to slow down less as the distance increases, but with your marathon pb that 10k pb looks extremely soft!

[I've never been shy about admitting lurking on the sub 3 thread]

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I know, Imski. I'm truly carp at shorter distances. The one good thing about my terrible 10K PB is that I top the 10K:marathon ratio on the fred! (Or I certainly did the last time someone calculated them for everyone.)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to see a few worthy souls on here, welcome all.

Gavin.. 3:00.31 is agonising! You must have been gutted. One of my clubmates has always said he would rather run 3:05 than 3hrs 5secs!

Leg is much better today, I even did a 300m jog for the bus before realising that I should be resting! No pain at all today so progress indeed. I will keep the Doc appointment tomorrow (I have to cycle there & back so a bit of exercise at least!)

Still ice packing 3/4 times a day, I did have shin problems (higher up) about 3 years ago so I am aware that patience is a virtue.
  • WARDI

I also ran east hull 20 and have struggled since,but it's been my calf's,they have been really sore and tight.Only managed small slow runs to keep pain to mininum but seem to be easing a bit now.

Starting to think i should have done xc instead,all the best anyway

• Wardi - Stay injured until the weather gets better.

Not pleasant running in Doncaster tonight. Far too windy !!

• Hey Wardi- What did the Doc say?

Pretty minging out there tonight, got soaked to the bone and I only ran 5!

• Wardi: You've got to be brave. Brave enough to have confidence that you have put a shed load of heavy training into the bank.

One week off- performance actually increases.
    Two weeks off- Back to where you were. ie, no losses.
    Three weeks off- means one week of training to get back
    Four weeks off- one and a half week's training to get back.

But think carefully. One week's training will get you maybe a second a mile on a mile interval repeat session.  Four weeks off is like dropping a minute or two on a marathon. And who knows what you were capable of beforehand. Certainly capable of whupping my ass.

Have you the strength to avoid the calories? I've not.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    am.. 6m each way bike ride to the Doc's HQ. Cycling 6m straight into a 25mph westerley certainly gets the heart rate up I can tell you. Fast ride back though!

I'm in the waiting room for 20 mins and the first patient of the morning is carted away on a stretcher complete with oxygen mask. I now feel a fraud for being there with my trivial athlete's complaint.

Anyways, the Doc asks me how the running is going, marvels at my RHR and queries what I am doing in his surgery. Much to my relief I don't have anything serious like a fracture, indeed he cannot elicit any pain or discomfort at all from the injury site. The small lump on my shin has nothing to do with the injury, I probably ran into a door or something. 'Try a run later but no fast stuff, you might find you're ok' he said as my eyes lit up.

Out with the club tonight, I made sure the route was one where I could take a short cut home at various points. No twinges at all, 7 whole miles covered. Two days ago I was almost limping. Thanks be to the Lord for ice packs. I am however old enough and wise enough to know that I must not count my chickens yet. Day to day monitoring is required. Very encouraging though.

Blisters.. I have just celebrated these glad tidings with an eccles cake {O: