Options

Read any good books lately?

Comments

• Options

Enjoying reading "Slaying the Badger" by Richard Moore all about the 1986 Tour de France.

Also just finished the  the ebook MEGimagerigins by Steve Alten - I'm a bit of a shark story fan image

At Home was a great read, as are nearly all Brysons books.

Next week I will mostly be reading the new Kathy Reichs Book: Flash and Bones.

• Options

Recently finished The book Thief by Marcus Zusak. And I'm really not sure about it. It's had rave reviews, and I wanted to like it, but I remain unconvinced by the style.

Also read John Buchan's 39 steps, which is only short, but had me gripped!

The Room of Lost Things, by Stella Duffy was good in a nothing much happens but the whole of life passes by outside sort of way. Reminded me (in a good way) of when I lived in unfashionable east London, the same mixed community with every colour of people (including green ones) and a massive array of cuisines to choose from!

• Options
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)

I finished "At Home" last night, I had to put it aside a few times as I found the sheer volume of facts and minor detail a little wearing after a while but overall fascinating, kept nudging Mrs puffy and reading bits out to her.

Tickled Pink wrote (see)

Didn't realise Stuart Maconie had written anything else. P&P was brilliant.  I must download the others.

Bryson At Home is excellent and wll come in a handy in 1001 quizzes for being stuffed full of interesting facts.  Some of his others have been excellent, others I felt were a bit forced.

In away, I've got to agree with you (Mr Puffy), it's the same with 'A Short History', so chock-ful of facts/anecdotes that it's difficult to take it all in.

But, overall a brilliant book

'Pink'

Got to say Maconie is almost as good a writer as he is a broadcaster, & that's saying something!!

His (ex-radio 2, now Radio 6) sidekick Mark Radcliffe is also fairly talented with a pen!

• Options
    I red Nelson Mandela's long walk to freedom when on holiday . First book i've red since i was at school it was excellent !
  • Options

The Death of Marco Pantani: Matt Rendell

A very good read.
    http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/539973/The-Death-of-Marco-Pantani-9780753822036_book_main_page_medium.jpg

• Options

I'll definitely download the other Stuart Marconie books once I've finished my current crop.  I loved their R2 show.  Almost didn't mind working late if I had that for company on the run home.

Kate Atkinson .... has to be done in book order to get the best from them.

Anyone who likes the Rebus type stuff try the Stuart McBride ones.  Same sort of gendre but set a wee bit further north.  Again, read in order to get the nuances in the later stories.

• Options
    Further north than Rebus...they're all savages that far up aren't they?
  • Options
    We are not at home to Mr F*ck up!!
  • Options

Ace! Thanks for the recommendations.

Recently read The Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.... funny and sad at the same time, about a boy with Aspergers. Worth a read.

Grisham - recently read Theodore Boone and The Confession, both good.

Jodi Piccoult - House Rules (again about a boy with Aspergers), Picture Perfect was okay, enjoyed Salem Falls better.

• Options
    The Jodi Piccoult about the High School Shooting (title lost in fried mind) is excellent Squishy.
  • Options
    Also Diane Chamberlain 'The Midwife's Confession'  though didn't rate quite as high as The Lies We Told.
  • Options

I love anything by Jeffrey Deaver (except Carte Blanche), also Harlan Coben, Dan Brown, James Patterson and Linwood Barclay (just finished 'No Time For Goodbye' - couldn't put it down). I'm now reading 'Gone Tomorrow' by Lee Child.

I'm really tempted to read 'The Woman in Black' as its got good reviews - including on this thread..... the question  is - am i brave enough??....maybe if i read it during the daytime....image

• Options

TP - I reckon it was called 19 Minutes. Yep, read that, really good.

Snails - read most of the one's you've read too, all good reads. Have you read 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy? Really good, if somewhat depressing.

We've just ordered a few of these recommendations from Amazon, including Woman in Black. I won't read it at night though because I'm a scardy cat image

Jo Nesbo's The Snowman was quite scary too. I'm just about to start another Jo Nesbo.

• Options

No, i haven't read anything by Cormac McCarthy or Jo Nesbo.....i'm quite keen on reading Jo Nesbo though, so i might wait and see if Tesco does an offer on them (its often cheaper than Amazon - i got the Steig Larsson trilogy for £5). Haven't read my Steig Larsson books yet - i like to have a few spare books in case i run out. I really think i'll order the 'Woman in Black' now.

I finished 'Gone Tomorrow' by Lee Child, it was okay but i was a bit disappointed by the time i got to the end.

Just about to start 'The Spire' by Richard North Patterson.

• Options

Snails, I think  you'll enjoy the Larsson books. Give Cormac McCarthy a go too, he's a similar sort of author to Harlan Coben. I quite like the Lee Child books too, read a few of those, Tripwire & The Killing Floor I think it was.

Can't remember the ending of Gone Tomorrow, but I have read it I'm sure.

Have you read Boy A by Jonathan Trigell? Really good read.

We've read so many now we've had to make a spreadsheet of everything so we don't end up reading it twice image

• Options

Hi Iron Squishy, thanks for that... i definately will give Cormac McCarthy a go. Haven't read Anything by Jonathan Trigell either - it great getting new authors recommended.

I really must try and create a list of everything i've read - problem is i can't remember half of them, lolimage

Let me know what you think of 'Woman in Black' too - i might get it tomorrow image

Happy reading...

• Options

Ihave just finished reading Lamb by Christopher Moore,.. very funny

Very funny as long as you are not easily offended

I tend to go for off the wall humor

I am currently reading Tom Holt here is some of his titles

• Options

Managed to read The Woman in Black without having nightmares image Anybody who enjoyed it, try The Winter Ghosts by Kate Moss, another old fashioned ghost story, but not really sinister, bit of a sad ghost story really, but worth a read.

Read a few great books while I was on holiday:

Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton (also 'Sister' by the same author, but Afterwards was better I thought).

The Black House by Peter May. Sounded it bit scary and sinister (and the cover looks a bit scary) but it wasn't, sort of a murder mystery set on the Isle of Lewes. Will certainly read more of his, really enjoyed it.

The Island by Victoria Hislop (the book was actually in the cottage where we stayed, glad I read it) about a leper colony.

• Options

Thought I'd ping this back up..... looking for a good book for my hols. Any recommendations? (Please don't say Fifty Shades!) image

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Iron,

Just finished a book recommended by my local librarian. I don't normally read "war" books but librarian insisted I'd like it.

Book was the The Junior Officers' Reading Club, rivetting account of the war in Iran and Afganistan, it's a view of the war from the front line from a very erudite young officer.

He also enjoys going for a run!

• Options

Possibly a bit of a late reply for your holiday IS but I've just finished "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern. I loved it image

Just started the latest David Mitchell novel which begins with a rather graphic birth scene image

• Options

Just in the middle of Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck for about the 8th time

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Thanks for this- I too am looking for some holiday books. So have taken notes

Favourite ever book - A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry - was mentioned a few pages back.

Recently read and enjoyed :

The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins - written for teenagers but a good read. Finished one and had to go straight on the the next sort of a read

Pigeon English - Stephen Kelman - a bit different view of being young in London. Intersting style of writing

Room - Emma Donoghue - loved it

A Kind Of Intimacy - Jenn Ashworth - interesting take on people's perception of reality

Little Gods - Anna Richrads - great read - a bit different from the norm.

Have just read Helen Dunmore's the Greatcoat and wouldn't rate it.

• Options

If you like Cormac Maccarthy and also like crime fiction James Lee Bourke is worth looking at (although you may have already read)

• Options

Some good recommendations there, will give them a go, thanks!

Just finished First and Only by Peter Flannery, really good read.

DL - I LOVED the Hunger Games, awesome, I was the same, had to download them one after the other because I couldn't wait for my friend to finish the books! Thought they were a bit deep and dark for a 'kids' book, didn't think it was written for kids at all really. Can't wait to see the film.

Room I loved too, very sad and a bit disturbing really.

• Options

Just an update on the David Mitchell book: The thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet (sp?)

It was a bit of a confusing start but once I got into it I really loved it. It was quite educational too about the Dutch trading post in Japan around 1800, something I knew nothing about before. He's one of my favourite authors and although he never seems to tell a story in a straightforward manner it's always worth sticking with his books.

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

I really liked The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet too LM - a slow burner to begin with but was a great read. Have liked all of his books.

Have just finished The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey - quite a haunting novel  - bit of a fairytale mixed in with 1920's Alaskan wilderness living. I would recommend it.

As I have a friend that is mad into the Twilight saga I eventually got round to reading the first one - complete and utter drivel - really can't see what all the fuss was about - yes, perhaps if you're a 12 year old girl but why all the middle aged Mums?????

• Options

I confess to enjoying the Twilight Books image it was something different but now everybody has jumped on the bandwaggon.... much better read than the 50 shades load of tripe!

Quite fancy the Snow Child, will have a look see if I can get it on Kindle.

• Options

I have been meaning to pick up a Mitchell. Which David Mitchell book would you start with? Or would you start at the beginning at work on through?

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Anyone read any of the Booker Prize Shortlist? The Book People have all 6 for £30 and I'm tempted.