Cut Off Time?

2»

Comments

• i guess it should be changed then to "anyone wanting to walk, jog the london marathon" it's not a running event anymore, i do however agree DW4 it should be open to anyone
  • Think I may be repeating myself here, but....

Less walkers could not mean more places for faster runners.  If they gave more faster runners places then that would mean more congestion for people going those paces, and they'd end up having to reduce the number of places overall to stop that happening.  Less slow entrants means less entrants, not more fast entrants.

• Sorry to be answering myself, but I thought of another potential problem with having a cut off in such a large race.  If you have a 6 hour cut off, then what about the folks who don't get across the line until 20 minutes after the gun goes off?  Do you keep a strict comrades-style cut off, which would actually mean a cut off of 6 hours for those at the front and 5.40 for the slow runners at the back?  Or do you allow 20 minutes spare, meaning those at the front actually have 20 minutes extra to get round?

Either way, you're making it an advantage for people with time worries to get up the front... and maybe encouraging more slow entrants into the front starting pens.

• how about a compromise, we could have snipers strategically placed around the course and they could just take shots at people who take over 5 hours, that way if you take longer than five hours but still finish without getting shot, you have still achieved something.
  • Actually I think they should put the snipers on the back of motorbikes and send them after the faster finishers.  They have to keep going for the full 6 hours or they get shot image
  • If it took me 6hrs to 'run' a marathon, i wouldn't enter in the first place.
  • There is a supposed cut off time of 8 hours, when theoretically the remaining baggage is removed and you are warned ' - you won't get a medal on the day' - not sure how this works in practice - presume the marshals must take details of those still en route.  They do allow a bit of leeway on this judging by the printed finishing times.   The ones that take days to finish have to make special arrangements for their support etc.