Brand new runner looking for companions..

Comments

• Hey GG,

I am extremely unfit but got tired of the walking stuff and started following the RW plan yesterday.  It doesn't mean that you are bailing out on being a runner, just that you are putting the foundations down so that you can move forward faster, if you see what I mean..

Don't think you can cop out THAT easily... *grin*

• Hi

YOu will get so much support on here it's great and you will find yourself logging in all the time, not good when your supposed to be working.

I have found all teh articles and advice really helpful, as for running it will come, just take it easy or you will not enjoy it schedules are great but you can improvise as well as we are all different. 

• Having done the the second week plan this afternoon at 4 mph for the running (wasn't really running but would definitely be disqualified from the olympic walking!) and adding an extra 1 minute slow walk (2.5 mph)recovery in the middle, and adding an extra rep on the end (to make up for the extra rest), I'd say I'm improvising beautifully.

As I was running (actually,probably finally understand the difference between walking and running and the intermediate stage of plodding) it struck me that the info I'd recieved was so good I was distracted by thinking about it, and wanting to do well!  Mananged to stay at below 70% until 4th rep and only acheived 90%+ on the final 2 reps (showboating?).  Just need to go out on Sunday and do the same again, then again on Tuesdayimage.

Truly loving the endorphins and thanks for the support already (definitely not backing out now).

BS - glad you're on a schedule, today has been a revelation on the go slow front for me (definitely would have failed miserably at 5mph running and been gutted.  Also having resigned myself to jogging failure, I'm delighted to have actually run for 14 minutes this afternoon.

Probably see you you Monday as it were ATB GG

• GG - That all sounds brilliant!  So pleased that you are feeling more positive about it all.. I am replying to your post putting off getting out there tonight.. I am still sore from the other day and just scared I guess that I won't be able to do it again..

Oh well, here goes!

• Good luck Blithe - getting the motivation to get out of the door the first few times is the toughest bit - you'll enjoy it once you're out there I bet image
  • Thanks Lisa,

You are absolutely right.  I did the same routine today and for some reason it seemed much easier! Muscles still ache but I did walk awhile afterwards and stretched them too.  Back, shopped, tidied the house and off for a very long, hot, relaxing bath...and boy do I deserve it!  Can't quite believe I am doing this...

• You're doing great - it'll get easier everytime image

Something that's helped me is to write down all my runs. (I got a pretty notebook specially, how sad am I?). When I started out, I was excited to be able to run for even a minute, so when if I'm ever feeling demotivated I just read back over my progress. I've only been running about 6 weeks, but it's amazing how it builds up just a bit at a time.

Have a great bath - you totally deserve it!

• Yes, I have downloaded fitness log (?) and record everything on there...

And again, thanks for the support!  It really does help..

• Out again in the rain today...

*pats self on back*

Starting to feel like a proper runner!

GG you out there? 

• Hi BS

I've just been reading through all these posts and remembering when I first knew I could do it if I really tried.  Like everyone else I started small (just a few mins on a treadmill) and have built up to a couple of 10ks and 3 half marathons over the last year.  I'm going to Vegas to run in the marathon there in December and cant wait to start the training mid August - terrified too !  Its scary how addictive it gets and I'm worried about how I'll feel when I stop making much progress - I guess everyone has their limits.

You've had loads of really good advice - my biggest mistake initially was not loking for tips and it wasn't until I started using a smart coach programme that I really started to improve.  I was hammering it everytime I went out which really doesn't work.  I reckon that the most important thing is to just enjoy it and to expect off days cos everyone has those.

Have fun in all weathers - you are a proper runner

• What great encouragement...Thank you so much.

I am impressed how fun I am finding it actually.. I was so frightened of doing it and here I am actually running..and dare I say it, looking forward to it?

*grin*

So lovely to know that others have done what I am doing!

• It is fun spirit. I too was very nervy when i started out in january, scared that i would get bored of it & end up feeling like a bit of a failure. A few months down the line i am physically & mentally stronger & can't wait to get home from work, a drink of orange juice & a banana & off i go for another fulfilling session. It is very addictive indeed. I'm in training for the great eastern run in my home town (peterborough) in october, my first race & i can't wait. Anyway spirit keep up the good work, everyone is proud of you image
  • Good work BS.  I have been hiding because I missed my Sunday run to play golfimage.  Didn't want to re-appear before I had got back on the horse and put a proper session in. Second run on week 2 completed (and properly) now though.

Don't think the extra rest did me any harm really.  Certainly don't want any beginners niggles to turn into anything serious.

ATB GG

• Hi there

I recently started running with a colleague at work.  We are both really overweight and basically our office (and some people on this forum) have just been laughing at me.  People at work have told me that I am too fat to run.  I have the worlds second largest swimsuit, and am pretty awful at swimming. 

It's very difficult because I know what people think of "fatties" like me.  One person has even said that I abuse my children because they are slightly overweight.  I know that my eating habits are wrong (well, I know now - apparently beginners should stay out of the clubhouse) and I guess I know that I won't be able to run for a while still (or walk very far) but it's something.

Just wanted to say hi really

• Adrian - thanks for the encouragement.  I can't get over how supportive people are here!

GG - *waggling finger* Naughty thing missing the run.. but hey, golf IS exercise, isn't it?  Also means we are now closer together.. I am on week 2 of the beginner's run.  Started today in fact and was so nervous I wouldn't be able to do it , and it was fine!

BW - I can't believe people are so insensitive to you.  How DARE they say that, and well done you for actually getting up and doing it!  As for running, I know just how you feel, honestly, and it isn't true.  My brother was nearly 24 stone and he lost it and ran the Marathon two years ago...so stuff and nonsense to naysayers!

Bravo to you for getting off the sofa and doing something about it.  That is a a cause for celebration, not people being rude..

Welcome to the thread! 

• BW  i agree, how dare they say anything to you, at least you are trying to change your life & anytime you need support you are guaranteed to get it from the good people on here. It is hard when you start walking/running but take it slowly & you will be coming on leaps & bounds in no time.

• I know its crap isnt it - there are some really sh1tty people about who probably think they are really something special ( and they call themselves runners too - probably even post on here !image )

• BW - go for it - I read your other thread and was disgusted at some of the comments other people on the forums made - sometimes these threads fall victim to too many "in jokes".  You should take it slowly to start off with - no point puhing yourself and getting injured but you are making a positive step forward (Which is more than most people ever do).

After being obese for most of my life (20yrs) I lost nearly 6 stone last year and started running in January after putting a little bit of christmas weight on and getting a charity place for the GNR with the BHF.  Although I haven't lost pounds I have definitely lost inches, feel fitter and much more positive about myself - I also have a much more balanced approach to healthy eating and I see food more as fuel for running rather than something to get worked up and guilty about.  I can run for 4.5 miles now (something I would never have though possible) and entered my first 10K for June.

What I am basically saying is if I can do it (sport phobic and compulsive doughnut eater for most of my life) then anyone can - including you.  Stick to it!!!!!!!!!

• imageimageHi everyone, hope you dont mind me joining in?

Wanted to say to BW - good on you for getting up and doing something positve for YOU!!!!!  Don't worry about the jealous nerds out there.  There is always someone somewhere who can't ever say anything nice - SO ignore and just smile to yourself 'cos you will have the last laugh in time to come when you have achieved what you want !!!!!!

I ran/walked Bristol 2006 half marathon for charity and that was my first ever attempt at running  'cos I am not a natural and hated it at school. Last yr training fell apart due to cracked ribs, colds etc, have picked up again very slowly this yr and am hoping to do 10k in Bristol on Monday, believe me if I can do it (albeit slowly) then anyone can doit!!!!

I joined slimming world 6 wks ago and have lost 6lbs - hurrah.

Will shut up now and let someone else get a word in - TTFN Nessie

• HELLO everyone and welcome!!

BW - So glad that you are here... Please stay!

Adrian - Lovely to have your example on here and good for you for cheering on us newbies.. I love the support on here..

Buney - Lovely to see you back and you know the same goes for you..

Kate - 4 and a half miles! That is amazing...

Plodderama - Of course not and welcome... A half marathon is unbelievable and congratulations on losing the 6lbs... BRAVO!!

As for me, I was amazed with yesterday and running in the rain.  I was really scared that I wouldn't be able to do the R2 W1 and surprisingly, I did... I mean I was hot and bothered, but I could do it...and that was really exciting.  It is like the inside view of myself as fat and unfit is slowly having to be readjusted as I go out in my gear running in the rain.  I know I am still overweight etc, but it is really good to know that I am doing this.. Does that make ANY sense??!!

Have a couple of twinges in my left knee today but still planning on running again tomorrow, if I can..It is a really really busy day...

Take care everyone, and a BIG welcome...

• Thanks for all your support.  I do agree that some of the regulars on here seem to be a bit too callous with some of their remarks.  But maybe that's what happens when you run a lot and get some degree of confidence?  Then you forget what it was like to be overweight and starting out.

• KellerKeller ✭✭✭

Don't worry BW, some of the members on here can be a bit arrogant, but they don't really count for much.

Good on you for getting up and doing it.  It can be difficult whether you're overweight or not - just keep trying.

• TBW - why not change your name on here - its not very flattering to you and probably not helping your self image ?
  • Hi BS , thanks for the welcome,and hello to everyone you all sound great -  hope you don't mind me offering some well meaning advice

- careful with any twinges in the knee, I had a twinge quite a while ago and panicked and went to a physio and she advised it was a slight strain to the illotibial band (that runs down the outside of the leg from your butt to the outsde and then just under the knee) - can be aggrevated by down hill running - so she advised stretching,( she showed me what to do)  massaging and if you are worried at not keepig up your runs she said to go to the swimming pool and run in the water - and hey presto!!!!!!!  no more probs.   Last weekend i did some water running and although I look a complete twit, (so whats new I hear you all cry!!!!) it really is a good workout and of course the water takes any strain off your joints.

Hope that helps, but of course Dr Plodderama could be totally wrong !!!!!! but that is the only knee twinge I know of.

TTFN Nessie

• Plodd - Not at all..

As a teacher I asked one of the PE guys at work and he said that I shouldn't run with it..for a couple of days.. So frustrating!

I really enjoy it...

So how are you all today?

• tbw, i saw what happened on the other thread, trouble was it was in clubhouse (i know someone told you to post there, if i remember rightly) but they pull a lot of spoofs over there signing in under other names and i think a lot of people assumed you were one of the regulars doing that.

i've only been running a year and found it to be a great source of friendship, motivation advice and inspiration so i hope  you're not put off.

sorry i haven't read the whole thread but hello to everyone else image

• Blithespirit - a fellow teacher!!!! I find running helps me unwind after a day when the little blighters have been playing up
  • Kate - Hi again..

I am SO with you there! Missing it, as I say tonight because of the knee...and Year 9s were dreadful!

Hope you have a good evening..

Runner Duck - Hi there, and thanks for dropping in...

• Week 2 completed today.  Week 3 awaits.  I too thought injury was imminent with right achilles starting to ache (tendonitis is an old bugbear of mine), however today felt much better (in the achilles anyway).  As long as the little grumbles keep on moving around I will be happy. (I know one injury leads to another, e.g favouring one leg from the other, but how do you tell if you're correcting a problem or causing a worse one.

I get more drive from my right foot because I think my left foot has been mangled playing Rugby (Big Toe is pretty fused), however this extra strain means my right achilles has started aching (tight calves anyone), so I am trying to run harder on my left (weaker foot).  Surely this balancing act has to continue to improve, but wariness of overdoing it is essential.

I asked before if anyone had tested themselves to destruction, but no-one has come back on that, and what it might look like.

Cheers for now GG

• sounds like you need to make sure you stretch well after each run GG