Deaf Runners

Comments

• Hi EM!! Thaks for the welcome!

I seem to cope with my hearing problem better than my hubby...it's like i hear perfectly on one side and NOTHING on the other!! It's funny at times, my two girls fight to link onto my left arm and then go HA!  I got the good side!! haha!!  Ironically my mum is also deaf in her right ear, so when we get together we're like all leaning to one side!

I do feel for my poor hubby though..the tinnitus drives him demented at times, my tinnitus is slight and in the background like a radio station just off the right numbers!  But he has a terrible time....the other morning we were lying in bed and there was this bird singing it's head off outside our window (my "good" ear was pointed that way!) and I was commenting on it....he couldn't even hear it.  As far as running is concerned the only issue is if I borrow the ipod after hubby I have to make sure it's turned down 'cos if i put it on straight after him it would BLAST! my good ear!

• Hi Gingerfurball

I think I started up a thread when I first joined the forum to see if there were any other deaf people out there.

More than happy to to let Barcode know that they are not alone. Also I find it interesting in understanding how others cope.  You never know what hits, tips, equipment that there may be out there.

• Good morning all,

EM...I like your style...stuff what other people think. Unfortunately I can't feel that way. Having been deaf for close on 40 years, I still have huge difficulties in social situations. If I go for a meal somewhere quiet then this is not too bad but if it is loud and noisy...oh dear me...big problems.

Welcome gingerfurball...very nice to meet you. I too have a lot of grief at home off my OH. She insists on having the TV volume turned up...I turn it down and use subtitles...she turns it up. An ongoing war of attrition. I too have low level tinnitus...I think it is all part and parcel of being deaf. I can just picture your two girls fighting for your good ear...bless em. I bet they are just trying to get mum to spend the most on them when you are all out shopping!!!

Hi Becky Boo...you're not one of these city whiz kids getting these huge bonuses are you? If so don't forget your friends on the forumimage

On a more serious note...gingerfurball...it can't be pleasant for your hubby having tinnitus that drives him to distraction.

Phil.           

• Glad to see some others here. image

Yeah, I hear you Phil on the subtitles thing. I'm so used to them, that I don't have the sound on very low, O.H then turns it up. Tinnitus seems normal for hearing impaired people. I can see how some must find it very stressful, but I tune it out mostly with background noise. Sometimes studying can be difficult in quiet places, as that's when it's more noticeable.

What do we all do in a day job? Your work sounds demanding Becky, and quite impressed you manage it. I could see it seriously stressing me out. I'm doing a PhD at the moment, and find running really helps clear my head at the end of the day, leaving me able to approach the next with a clearer mind. Ideas seem to occur to me spontaneously when running. So, it must be mentally productive too. That's the theory I'm sticking to.

• Good afternoon Barcode,

No highflier here I'm afraid...I manage a spares part stores for an American company. We manufacture machinery used in the production of tyre beads. We import from the US and ship out to Europe, Asia and most of the Southern Hemisphere. Boring really.

The problem I have with subtitles is that my OH can't read them quickly...so I have to keep telling what's going on...doh.

Phil.

• Hi everyone,

funnily enough you seemed to have guessed.  I do work in The City in coporate banking doing acquisition finance but no I don't earn megga bonuses, only mad traders at investment banks do!

Leave home at 5.35am and get back at circa 7pm.  Try and run after work 2/3 nights a week and a LSR Sundays.  Live 50 miles from London in the countryside so a lovely contrast.   Running is a great stress buster.  The other advantage in commuting is I can switch off the aids and go to sleep!

The number of times I've been woken at Cannon Street in the morning by strangers becauase I've been in a deep sleep and not realised we are at the end of the line?

Even ticket collectors tend to know me and that I've "switched off" and don;t bother waking me any more!!! 

• I feel tired just reading your schedule. I am familiar with one 5:35 in the day, and it's not a.m.

Think we probably do tend to read quicker than most - it's a learned skill, and one of necessity.

I tend to prefer silence most of the time, and find sudden noises like the telephone jarring. I don't know if this is because I'm used to my deafness or if it's because I'm fairly introverted by nature, and resent intrusions in day-to-day life. Probably a combination of the two. I don't think I'd be more outgoing if I could hear, really.

• hi everyone.

And there was me thinking i was all on my own!

I lost my hearing at the age of 33 (am 41 now) to Menieres Disease. I have to wear 2 aids now and am forever in a quandry as to go without or to stuff them in my pocket when I run.

I have the answer!!!!   EARGEAR. They're little covers for a behind the ear aids, made of neoprene and protect the workings from rain, sweat etc. Connevans do them for £12.00 per pair and my friend says they're brilliant. I am awaiting mine.

I was thinking about getting a shirt with 'Deaf Runner' on it, but not sure i want to advertise the fact when out alone.

I have been through so many emotions since losing my hearing, but in the end you just have to get on with it. I've run for hearing Dogs a couple of times and know someone with a hearing dog, and he's changed her life.

Nice to meet you all, and safe running x

• Hi Bimblebelle

I used to run for Hearing Dogs, got involved through one of my old jobs (worked with a branch fundraiser). I stopped after a few years because there are only so many times people are going to give money for running Half Marathons for the same charity.

Phil/Barcode - Regarding the subtitles issue. I tend to only watch programmes that have them. If you get that dreaded "We are sorry but there are no subtitles for this programme" come up then it is a case of  "Bog off there are no viewers here". I live alone so don't have to worry about upsetting others with the things but if I visit my mothers she will not have them on as she finds it annoying. Then again I find the loud volume of her TV annoying.

Most mornings I'm just getting ready to go out for a run at 5.30am. I sometimes go out with the old men (friends from an old running club no longer going) for an hour or so, other times I just go on my own.

GFB - I can understand how your hubby feels about the Tinnitus, mine varies greatly. Sometimes it can be a quiet "buzzing" sound, others it can be like a full choral ensemble with organ music thrown in.
    Even after 20 odd years my family still cannot understand why my hearing is better/worse on different days. But it does make those hearing tests interesting.image

• Good morning all,

Hi Bimblebelle...welcome on board. It must have been a huge change in your life to be deaf so suddenly. Like EM, and I suppose all other people that go deaf suddenly, you just have to dig deep and get on with life. I was fortunate that my hearing loss was gradual over 20 years so I learnt how to cope and come to terms with things. I,m going to have a look at obtaining some of these EARGEAR. Thanks for the tip.

Becky Boo...how on earth do you manage those long hours and run? I work 0800-1600 every weekday...home in 10 minutes...running stuff on and out of the house by 1615. You guys that have these long journeys to work everday and still manage to have a life after work truly amaze me!!       No chance of a £10 sub this week then?image

Barcode... I agree with your sentiments...when I'm at home I just like everything to be quiet...perhaps the radio on or the Ipod with 60s music. Any loud bangs, vacuuming, etc really does annoy. I too switch off films that don't have subs. Quite often this happens on free view channels. My OH turns the TV volume up much too loud...it is strange really...you would think that it is her that is deaf.

I think The Hearing Dogs charity is probably the only one where I give evey time...it can get a bit tedious nowadays with so many causes chasing our spare cash.

We have a Westie dog called Toby...so I'm into looking after animals too. It is great on the weekend when I can get out in the morning and take him for a nice long walk in the local country side.  A nice warm up for my run later in the day.image    

Phil.    

• I don't bother watching any TV withoutr subbies.

Hubby really likes a lot of the films they have on the TCM channel.  Only ever seen one film subbed on there.  I also like documentaries but again most discovery channels don';t have subbies.

Go to the cinema once or twice a year to see subtitled showings.  Luckily I have one nearby that does a subbed showings Sunday afternoons.  Looking forward to see the next Indiana Jones image

Only proble is that if you miss that one showing for that film, that's it, you have to wait for the DVD or for it to show on the TV.image 

• Hi Becky Boo,

I never go to the cinema now...too busy dog sitting...he gets moody if we go out too often and leave him home alone.

I too like documentaries...unfortunately my OH doesn't so I'm relegated to the kitchen to watch these on the small Tele...football too.image  I particularly like Timeteam on Channel 4...very enlightening.

With your work and travelling schedule I'm surprised you get time to watch any TV and run. How do find the time?

Going out this afternoon for a 10K....and really looking forward to the bank holiday weekend. I should be able to get a long run in on Saturday and hopefully again on Monday. How about you?

Will any of you other guys get out over the holiday for a blast?

Phil.

• Hi everyone,

If you like doing something enough you somehow find the time.

I probably do between 20-30 miles per week running and try and weight train on days in between.  Have free weights and treadmill at home which helps.

Get home at 7pm, change, go for run.  Whilst I run hubby cooks evening meal come back, eat tea, watch TV, bed by 10pm.

Have the Whistable 10k to do on Monday.  Really hoping to finally break the hour.  It seems to elude me!image  Will do a shorter slow run on Saturdaty as well.  Have WRN tonight so will do a 4 miler.

• Hi Becky,

It is true what you said about finding time...I go out after work in the afternoon and usually I cook our evening meal after and then wash up(no dishwasher ). My OH likes being in the garden(weather permitting) and I enjoy cooking so we both get to do the things we like.

Occasionally if I have things to do early afternoon I will go out a bit later...say 7 pm. I quite enjoy this and providing I don't eat too much and it is only a slow run I can eat first and then go. Just a shower when I get home and then watch some TV.

I do about the same mileage per week as you. Mostly 10K in the week days and a longer run on Saturday/Sunday. Days off running I use a Healthrider machine, which is a resistence exercise machine for the upper body. 

Good luck at Whistable...I have every confidence that you will successfully get under the hour. My best 10K this year is 47:30. Not too bad for an old plodder.

Does your hubby run too...my wife makes some effort but she usually gives after a couple of runs...then starts again a few weeks later and wonders why her legs ache.   

Phil.

• Reading Beck's schedules makes me realize I should be spending more time on the Thesis of Doom and less time on Facebook, here, etc. I've been to the Connevans website, and think I might get those plastic protective covers, they seem practical anyway, and for vanity reasons, they are visually better than the standard beige NHS things.

Did four miles this afternoon. I'm trying to increase slowly. Think I amazed myself that I managed to keep going for most of it. Funny thing is, building up to the first three miles seemed really, really difficult, but now I seem to think "Oh another half mile, that's not much" when it's time to increase the distance. And I find myself thinking that five minutes recovery isn't much either, whereas it seemed to take a while to get to running continuously (30 mins plus) without feeling like I was about to have a heart attack. This running lark does get addictive.

• It's definately addictive.  Did my 1st ever half about 4 weeks ago.  Never ever thought I would be able to run that far.  However, build up over time and you may amaze yourself and your capabilities.  Being deaf no-one thought I would be where I am today.  If I listened to them you would give up, so trust and belief in youself is so important.
  • Good morning guys,

Barcode...Becky boo is so very right...take your time. Build up your mileage nice and slowly. Listen to your body...sometimes it is best to have an extra day of rest even if you feel compelled to go out and run. Avoiding injuries now will sustain your running and will allow you to build confidence and endurance.

I requested a catalogue from Connevans yesterday...prior to joining the forum I had never heard of this company.I think I may try some of those Eargear things. It would be nice to perhaps wear my aid on long slow runs and be more aware of the sounds around me. I run in the countrside and away from traffic noise so listening to the bird songs  would be an added incentive to get out there.  

Do any of you guys claim any type of benefit for your deafness. All I get is my aid and free batteries. I have looked into other things but due to income etc. it appears that I'm not entitled. I was just wondering what you others get?

Phil. 

• Morning Phil.

Yes - I hear you. It can be hard to resist the temptation to speed along if you're feeling fine, but experience has taught me to slow right down, as better to do that than pay for it later.

I claim DLA, and receive the middle rate care and low rate mobility. It is non-means tested, so it doesn't matter what you're earning. The forms are very, very time-consuming, and you'll obviously need a G.P report. It's less about the disability and how it affects you in day-to-day life, i.e., does your wife have to sometimes communicate for you? Would it be dangerous if you were on your own and didn't hear a smoke alarm? Do you have balance problems (which tends to be common)? Do you need some help outdoors? etc.

• Hi Barcode,

I tried a claim for DLA and it was turned down because I was deemed not to be in need of assistance for daily living etc. Still I tried and as they say "if you don't ask, you don't get".

I suppose that at the moment and over the last twenty years or so I've not really required too much help. If things change in the future I will have to try again.

I think that the advice given on the forums here from experienced runners helps many beginners. Too often beginners go out for a run and go flat...get knackered and think stuff that for a lark it is too much pain. If you follow the advice of guys that have run for years it all contributes to better and more fulfilled running.

Phil. 

• I have never tried DLA, just too much hassle.  There is apparently an art to filling in the forms to ensure you have the best chance of gaining the benefit.  Ideally you should speak to someone who has already gone through the process to help complete it. I believe that there is a booklet from some deaf agency or other which gives you lots of pointers and situations to consider. If you mention that gadgets help you, it lessens your case i.e. ... how you deal with situations when you haven't got all those aids. 

Phil - I love getting the Connevans catalogue just to see what goddies there are in there for us.  Technology changes all the time.  They are very approachable and extremely helpful so don't hesistate to contact someone at Connevans if you need to discuss anything.

• Hi Becky,

Did you have a good run yesterday?

Mine went really well...it was a pleasant afternoon to be out. The breeze was abit chilly...didn't wear my jacket and the cold air went right through my running vest. Not too bad when I'd warmed up later. Home for a nice shower...take away fish and chips after..mmmmimage

I've taken on board your comments about the DLA. I probably feel the same too...a little bit too much hassle at the moment. Yes I'm looking forward to the catalogue arriving...like an Aladdins cave to me...all new stuff that I was not aware of.

I think that most deaf people learn to cope with difficult situations...often avoiding times that lead to complicated explanations. I know that I will sometimes avoid phoning for advice just in case the person I have to speak to mumbles on the phone and I can't catch whats being said. Thankfully we now have e-mailing, which to me anyway is fantastic!!!

Phil.    

• Hi guys,

Just a short note to let you all know that I'm off line now till Tuesday.

Becky...have a good run at Whistable. Post your times next week to let us all know how you did.

Barcode...keep up the good running...it will get better.

Have a good weekend.

Phil. 

• Hi everyone

Hope you all had a good weekend. 

A bit too hot for running,but knocked off 3 mins of my PB for the Whitstable 10k.  Just over the hour at 1 hr 1 min.  If it had been cooler I probably could have done it.  Just to show those LSR have started building up a good base.

• Good morning all,

Becky...great result...well done. From your comment you seem to be confident that the miles you are doing will give you the base to get well below the hour for the 10K.

Did you get plenty of support off other runners or did you just go out on your own and run to your race plan?

It is starting to get warmer now and we will have to give more consideration to this in respeact of hydration. I tend to run later in the day to avoid being out when it is too warm...this is not always possible but as runners we are all aware of the dangers of dehydration. 

Phil   

• Hi everybody sorry to barge in on your forum but i just had to tell you. I was at a race a couple of weeks ago and i saw two guys wearing t-shirts saying deaf and deafer. I also saw the same two guys at a race in Kingston a month ago wearing t-shirts saying "I'm deaf he's just stupid". That really made me giggle.
  • We have a new neighbour - moved in over the weekend - his T-shirt says 'Deaf not rude' on back and front.  His wife got fed up with explaining so had them printed for him.

• LOLimage

I've come across T-shirts like that in the past. 

Phil  - just ran my own race.  As well as water at half way mark I took a SIS Go gel as I was conscious given the hot weather, water alone would probably not be enough.  Glad I did.

• Hi all,

Mrs G...this is a common misunderstanding with hearing/deaf people. Often hearing people think we are rude or standoffish, but this is very rarely true. If we could be aware at all times that we are being spoken to we would respond with due consideration. I can't recall ever seeing T-shirts with these comments printed on them.

Becky...I've never tried the gels. I usually take on plenty of liquid prior to my runs. Having said that I've not run a mara...not likely to do so either. From comments I've read on the forums you have to try the gels before hand to find the most suitable. Some runners don't seem to like using them whilst others have no problems. I remember going out a couple of years ago in the afternoon on a really hot day...I'd been out perhaps half a hour...just steady running, not too quick when I realised that I was not sweating and suddenly my head was thumping. Thankfully I was not too far away from home. I stopped running and gently walked home. I learned a valuable lesson that day...dehydration and the consquenses happen very quickly.     

I've received the Connevans catalogue...I think I will try the Eargear protectors...at £12 it will be worth that just to see if they do work.

Are you entering any other races soon or just carry on training and build your mileage?

Phil.

• Phil

His wife had them printed for him to serve as an 'ice-breaker' when meeting new people as he is also quite shy. 
  • Mrs G,

I still have problems with family and friends I've known for years. Sometimes alot depends on where you are when speaking to other people. If there is loud back ground noise this can be annoying. Also intermittent noise ie. traffic passing or similar. This can cause conversations to be abit disjointed...things being said and not heard properly often leads to misunderstanding. Most of my neighbous know I'm not rude but also that I don't always catch what they say. Not too bad considering that I've been in my house now for 30 odd years.

I do try to be approachable...I will go out of my way to speak to new neighbours but somtimes I too feel a little shy and inhibited by my deafness so sometimes I have to really get a grip and just speak to people and hope for the best.

I do generally try to avoid eye contact when I'm out running...I'm not being rude...I just don't want my run interupted to give passers-by directionsimage

Phil.