Sheffield social

Comments

• Hope the run has gone well folks, better than Murray`s tennis. Nice crisp day for it.
  • Some piccies, sorry Cake didn't see you:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs132.snc3/17939_1201713165130_1297603758_30494083_4671179_s.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs152.snc3/17939_1201713445137_1297603758_30494090_4850422_s.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs152.snc3/17939_1201713485138_1297603758_30494091_2833520_s.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs132.snc3/17939_1201713605141_1297603758_30494094_7163820_s.jpg

• BREAKING NEWS - our Sheila knows Charlie Spedding.

In his book, when writing about his time in Boston (p.89 for thise with a copy) he writes:

One of Henry's housemates was Mattie Parker whose sister was looking for someone to rent a spare room in her house. After an interview over a beer at the kitchen table, i was accepted and spent the rest of the year in nearby Auburndale with Anne Parker, her demented dog, and a vegan called Sheila...

Honest. t must be our Sheils cos there can't possibly be two vegans caled Sheila?? Can there????!!!!

• I'm back imageimage

Fab week, and no injuries out of whole group of 11 - which has to be good going! 
    I've just entered the vit - eeeeek! 

So where are all your race reports, times & stories from today?!  Come on.... I need some entertainment whilst I make my way through the mountain of washing!

• BM Becky wrote (see)

I'm back imageimage

So where are all your race reports, times & stories from today?!  Come on.... I need some entertainment whilst I make my way through the mountain of washing!

Welcome back.  You'll have to wait for race reports (they are all probably still in the pub) and Barry's won't be printable - there are more piccies on my Facebook.

It was very cold and the ground was frozen so made for hard running.

• PJAZ wrote (see)
    BM Becky wrote (see)

I'm back imageimage

Welcome back.  You'll have to wait for race reports (they are all probably still in the pub) and Barry's won't be printable - there are more piccies on my Facebook.

You might be right there. Not my favourite race of all time.

I'm currently struggling to move and use my left hand properly. I've done something to the muscle down my forearm which I'm guessing happened when I fell over the second time image

• Welcome back Becks! Glad you had a good one and that you're all still in one piece, or 11 pieces really. image

Well done to everyone today and big thanks to Dids for coming out to support, sterling effort in the freezing cold! Very tough introduction to fell runnning that Baz with the frozen ground and lack of proper paths, so don't right fell running off just yet!

Personally really enjoyed it, had a good run although my legs kinda died in the last mile or two, didn't quite manage to push it down the final hill as much as I would have liked. Couple falls and several near misses for me, no real damage done though. Hope the arm isn't too bad Baz.... you do seem to have a habit of hurting your arms when you go running!

• Results are up

Also meant to say thanks to Didds for coming out. I was slightly surprised to see you where you were out on the course. Apologies for swearing at you all when I finished.

Stu - I'll probably give some more of the easier ones a go. The Bob Graham Round is meant to a beginners one isn't it? image

• Wow! That was quick with the results, I remember waiting a week or so for some of the Totley results last year!

Should have known it would be Stuart Bond that won, didn't see him there but if he turns up there's a fair bet he'll win!

• Good to know the TT didn't totally scare you off Baz... yep the BG is the one for you! image
  • Looks like you all did well to me image
    Hope your arms ok baz

Was it THE Ian Parnell and Ron Fawcett??  Maybe running will improve my climbing?!

• Some good results for the SSC there -

Stu in the top 40 overall and the Mozzster 4th in the FV40 category.

Well done everyone - the conditions couldn't really have been harder .

• I LOVED THAT! image

Bloody nora Stu - even quicker than you thought! Top fell running dude!

Cheers very muchly to Dids - always good to get a few words of encouragement on the way round - and thanks for taking the photos!

I spent rather a large proportion of the race on my rear end and re-tying my shoe laces - also learnt (and later confirmed by McStu) that you don't just merrily tuck in behind the person in front on a single file path - you risk a broken ankle and nip round them - my first attempt at that resulted in me rather un-glamourously hitting the deck - much to the delight of the bloke I overtook no doubt. Had a tad more in the tank at the finish - guess it pays to know the route - will recce the next one.

Anyway - well chuffed with 4th positon in my category - first fell race and after only 4 weeks back running after more than a 2 month lay off! (does the soul good to blow ones own trumpet on the odd occasion that one gets the chance - and especially after crashing and burning so spectacularly in Dublin!)

No problem re the swearing Baz - made me laugh - Dot gave me the same look but couldn't muster the required breath to mutter the expletive! She texted me and said she 'thinks' she enjoyed it - phew!

Nice one too Cake and Sheils too! image

When's the next one?

• 4th in category... brilliant Mozzy! image

BM Becky wrote (see)

Looks like you all did well to me image
    Hope your arms ok baz

Was it THE Ian Parnell and Ron Fawcett??  Maybe running will improve my climbing?!

It's certainly the Ron Fawcett, he does a lot (i.e. almost all) of the peak district fell races. He's got a very unorthodox style, arms out to the side and hanging down at a 90degree angle from the elbow, pretty useful though. I remember one race last year we'd just got up to the top of a climb, he promptly threw up and then carried on as if nothing had happened... good work!

• Loser Baz wrote (see)

I was slightly surprised to see you where you were out on the course.

Its easy to get the Higger Tor when you go by car and park up 100yds away on the road image.

Stuart H wrote (see)

I remember one race last year we'd just got up to the top of a climb, he promptly threw up and then carried on as if nothing had happened... good work!

Top bloke.

• He's a legend!  Saw him interviewed at ShAFF last year.... which reminds me, I should look what's n this year image
  • Bex welcome back was a fair bit of bouldering involved today so can't hurt with climbing. I'm very chuffed with the badge of honour of being the tail end charlie today, did it for a laugh, it was a laugh and now know those mudclaws are excellent. So even if never run anouther fell again, never going to bother with aprouch shoes ever again. image

PJAZ wrote (see)
    Loser Baz wrote (see)
    PJAZ wrote (see)
    Someone will still get lost image.

Any bets on who?

Cake (and that will be in just trying to get to the Sports Ground) imageimageimage
    image Yes I did get lost today for about 30 seconds! Lost sight of the lady ahead and desided to go left and not straight down. Picked a better route as a result. As a bonus had a good chat with the sweaper team interested in tri's after they started talking about Matlock. Hopefully put the throught of Nantwick in there head because it's the best for newbies. Should have throught about the extra time they had to spend in the cold to wait for me to finesh through. image
  • Oh and well done everybody today imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I shall be getting lost on the ring road all next week if anyone wants to laugh at me either drowning or running........ 
  • image - do we need a reason to laugh at you?
  • image Depends if he's trying to work out the one way system. Free Wednesday and Friday night next week but waiting to see if got work (been off for 2 weeks) before texting haile back to ask if he wants to laugh at my swimming.
  • Wednesday is good for me, friday I shall be heading south

There are skeletons driving cars round that ringroad trying to get off

• Well done guys - sounds like you all had a fab time!

Welcome back Becky! Gld you had fun and YAY for you entering the Vit - that's me and thee entered. We'll have to get SSC to come to watch.

I did 7.5 mile run yesterday and 25 cold miles on the bike this morning with Lucy. Lush!

Right, must get to bed - getting observed in the morning!

Night team
  • Plum - no running allowed for me, but I'll be spinning tonight & wednesday and swimming (if you can call it that) tuesday if that's any use?  All pay as you go at ponds forge.

Cake - r u spinning tonight? 

Right, I have a new boss as of today, and I need to get the bus to work to minimise walking... so i'm logging off in an attempt to be ontime!

• First day back at work for me - planning a couple of short days to start to build me up a bit, so probably out of the door by 3pm - yeah!!

Aitch - glad your back running/cycling - expect great things from you this year.

• Morning all- and well done to everyone for yesterday- brilliant time Stu. I knew Mozzy would do well- little whippet that she is!

Thanks for the photos Didds- looks like I walked it but I did run most of it - honest!

Got a bit of a twinge in my right knee this morning which is ever so slightly worrying. I'll have a word with Mozzy this morning and get her expert opinion.

Great night last night- it was the Roadhogs AGM. I was 3rd lady in our grand prix races so got a trophy for that, was voted onto the committee as ladies rep, but even better I was voted Club Runner of the Year. How fantastic is that???? It just shows that you don't have to be a brilliant runner (which I certainly am not) to achieve something. What a great bunch of people the Roadhogs areimage

Welcome back Becks- glad you had a great time.

Who's observing you Aitch? Hope you're on your best behaviour- sure you will be.

Hope work isn't too tiring today Didds- take it easy won't you?

Better go and do some work myself now I suppose. Gonna make a cuppa in my new Totley mug.

have a good day everyone

• PJAZ - Nice pics and good luck for today.

Need some advice. Had a lot of trouble from my feet recently. I overpronate a lot and, as a result have now got bunions. Running is painful particularly after about 45 minutes. The podiatrist said `orthotics` but I`m reluctant until I`ve considered all options:-

1) Orthotics - expensive and I`ve heard a lot of negatives (Moz?). Would need new (neutral) trainers to use them too.

2) Try a more supportive shoe than Triax (Aqualon) and hope that helps.

3) Go back down half a size in Triax - this problem has only really worsened since going to 10.5 (done to avoid bruised / lost toe-nails).

4) Get some motion control trainers, like Brooks` Beast. This type of trainer seem to be expensive and heavy.

For the next week or two, I`m going to cake my feet in vaseline before running, use surgical spirit (hardens skin, right?), try a run in my old (smaller) Triax and use bunion pads. It`s like running with bad blisters really. I do need to carefully consider what next.

Any help appreciated.
  • Sheila - top bird (to quote Mozzy) imageimageimage and well deserved image

ET - which podiatrist?  Are they a runner?

You probably need to speak to someone who knows enough about feet and running to get a quality response, especially whether there are shoes more supportive than your Triax without needing insoles (shoes and orthotics are a double whammy) - I don't know enough about either to help that much.