Dwaine Chambers is cheapening the name of clean athletes?

Comments

• If Chambers was to be allowed to compete would it be at the expense of a "clean" athlete?

If so that would be disgraceful.

I'd rather a clean athlete came back empty handed that a proven cheat got a nice shiny medal, especially when you consider that Chambers us basically in it for himself, otherwise he wouldn't be trying to mount a legal challenge against the athletics body of a country that doesn't want him representing them.

• That's the whole point Screampillar, that the UK athletics body doesn't mind Chambers representing them. How would he otherwise have gotten on the worlds indoors team?

It's just the BOC that doesn't want him on the team. And why would the BOC have their own eligibility rules rather than pushing for a rule change with the IOC?

I am actually in agreement that there is something to be said for an olympic ban. That's a huge deterrant. I'm not sure you should impose this as an individual country though...
    It has to come from the international olympic committee.

Edit: UK athletics do mind, it's just that they realise they can't do anything about it as he has served his ban. I'm not quite sure how the BOC can impose an extra ban, that's the legal problem that may be challenged as far as I understand it.

• So the title should read -

IOC Member Countries who allow proven drug cheats to run in the olympics are cheapening the name of clean athletes and Dwaine Chambers feels hard done by because all the other cheats get to carry on running and earning and he doesn't?

• That would be far more accurate yes, Gargantuan.

And I'm sure there must be some european laws requiring people from the European Economic Area to have equal opportunities to do their trade?
    Wouldn't the British Olympic Comittee be bound by those laws?

Like I said, I don't really know about these things, I'm just thinking out loud...

• I do believe that Gargantuan and Imski have hi the nail on the head.
  • The BOA life ban was around well before Chambers met Conte. If he really believes it's about doing the time and being allowed a second chance, he should shut the hell up about this one. The two-year ban is over, and he can compete and should be allowed to (even though it's too short), but the olympic ban remains.

Oh, and why can't we start banning sportsmen who cheat routinely, other than the dopers? Mainly because the likes of FIFA don't have the guts to do anything about it, and the consequence is the embarrassing farce we have now. Good on the BOA for giving a toss.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    this is further confused by Gatlin taking his case for his drug ban to be overturned to the Court of Arbitration in Sport......

IF Gatlin wins, then that could well set a key precedent for Chambers to pursue his case further....

it's gonna get very messy methinks before it gets better

the whole drug ban things needs a thorough review from all the international and national bodies to develop a clear, common policy that can stand up to scrutiny in court - that will take ages, cost a shitload, and may never be achieveable
  • Imski - I thought that UKA didn't want him but that he qualified for the indoors team with his time  - their  qualifying rules -  which they could not then go back on??  

If he'd got  either of his nice, well-paid Rugby League or American Football jobs he wouldn't still be bleating on about it.

But  having failed at them both, he's still desparate to make money out of being an athlete and this is his only option.

I actually feel embarrased for him. I think he needs to accept he blew it and get on with his life as a coach or whatever.

• I think all drug cheats should be banned for life  - adn I wish this was a worldwide thing.

I personally don't want him representing GB at the Olympics - and I imagine most people wouldn't want to be represented by a known drugs cheat,  and one who did deliberately cheat as well.

If he wins his appeal and does go to the Olympics, then I will not be cheering him on.

• It seems that the IOC are changing their rules, so that from 1 July any athlete banned for 6 months or more will be banned from competing in the next Olympics.

Could this be the first step to the IOC banning all drug cheats from all Olympic games?

BBC story

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    We can but hope, Kryten.
  • Personally I hope so, and I think it would be a lot better if all countries applied the same rules.

Even so - he knew what the rules (and consequences) were when he decided to be a drugs cheat - I think he (and others) should just accept what comes his way as a consequence of his own actions, rather than looking for loopholes. 

• Agree absolutely Bear.

Take it like a man. Quit the whining. Get some self respect.

• Bear, at least CAS didn't cloud the water any further with the Gatlin case:
    http://www.iaaf.org/aboutiaaf/news/newsid=45211.html

I do agree that the Chambers' tour of 'which sport can I try out for next' and then returning to athletics reeks of desperation so either getting on with running the minor meets on the circuit or getting a proper job seem like the only sensible options now.

• Well it seems Thannou is hoping to go to Bejing. Proving it pays to just not turn up for a drugs test than get caught.

Ironicaly she is saying she should be awarded Marrion Jones's gold medal from Sydney as Marrion had it taken away after being found guilty of drugs offences and Thannou finished second.

FFS !!!!!!!!!!! and Dwaine cheapens it, what the f does Thannou do  image

• Just reading this thread as I was listening to something on radio 5 live over past few days that stated something along the lines of

'we dont know the long term affects drugs look what happened to flo-jo'

that quotes not word for word but thats kind of what it said. Flo-jo was a bit before my time. was she a big druggie? was her death attributed to drugs - or do I need my ears cleaning out

• She was very flamboyant, hair, make up and huge finger nails ................... and won all the sprints by metres.

I don't think it was ever proven in her carrier as a sprinter but it was pretty obvious. She was found out later I think and died soon after of heart failiure? 

• From Wiki

"...............................Aside from the controversy of whether her world record should have been held legal (in view of the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemometer" title="Anemometer">anemometer</a> issues), during her 1988 breakthrough year, Griffith-Joyner was dogged by rumors of drug use. Some suggested that her times could only have been the result of using <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolic_steroid" title="Anabolic steroid">steroids</a> or other performance-enhancing drugs, mainly because she was rather old for a sprinter (she was 28 years old in 1988), her physique had changed dramatically in 1988 (showing marked gains in muscle mass and definition), and her performance had improved dramatically over a short period of time. Before the 1988 season, Griffith Joyner's best 100 meter time was 10.96 seconds — not even in the then best 40 marks of all time. In 1988 she improved that by 0.47 seconds, a time that no one has approached since. Similarly, her pre-1988 best at 200 meters was 21.96, a mark not even in the top 20 runs on the all-time list. In 1988 she improved that by 0.67 seconds, another time which has not been approached. Griffith-Joyner attributed the change in her physique to new health programs.[3]

Her retirement from competitive track and field after her 1988 Olympic triumph further fueled the controversy, as mandatory random drug testing was about to be implemented in 1989. Under the less stringent testing schedule during her career, no evidence was found that Griffith-Joyner used performance enhancing drugs. It is now acknowledged that East Germany, for example, conducted a massive program of drug use which also went undetected under the old system of testing. Sprinter <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Johnson" title="Ben Johnson">Ben Johnson</a> tested positive at the same Olympics. The second-best world performance of all time (by an athlete who has not been caught using performance enhancing drugs) was run by the French woman <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Arron" title="Christine Arron">Christine Arron</a> (10.73).

The coroner's office was not allowed to test Griffith-Joyner's body for drugs, steroids, or growth hormones after her death underscoring the suspicions held by the athletics community.[4]"

• of course...wiki...the source of all knowledge. thanks

• So that's Chambers' A standard Olympic qualifier done and dusted. Coe and company now have to hope 4 British sprinters run faster than Cambers in the next 2 weeks or it's set for a very messy court case.
  • MedalsMedals ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/7480422.stm

It's good that these legends are standing up to be counted.

It'll be a travesty if Chambers runs in Beijing.  If he's got any honour, he should just take his punishment like a man and allow up and coming runners have a chance of competing.image

• Bit of a weird quote:

"The athletes aren't saying that we don't want Dwain Chambers to go to the Olympics but we are very much in support of the by-law..."

- the by-law which says that Chambers doesn't go to the Olympics...  image

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    They should select him  - what's the point in sending a load of athletes with no chance of making the final and then banning your best sprinter when the IOC are quite happy for him to be there.   
  • Totaly agree PS.

He did wrong, served his ban ........................ select him and stop making a fuss about past events for which he has been punished.

• MedalsMedals ✭✭✭
    If he's selected, the BOA will be saying that it's ok for athletes to systematically cheat the sport and then if they're caught, try to move the goalposts to change a rule they knew very well was in force.
  • No, because the 2 year ban will still be in place.

• Popsider..Pizza man..You would rather see a Drug cheat represent your country than clean, honest hard working athletes.

No wonder the sport is in such a mess. Chambers is probally STILL getting the benefit from taking drugs! The guy is a disgrace and any one proved to be taking drugs should get a lifetime ban from ALL competitions.

Just imagine Chambers being selected and winning a medal! Would that be something for the country to be proud of?

• It would show that a bad guy can come clean and still do well, no?
  • Let him run,he has served his time.
  • "Show a bad guy can come clean"..What about the good guys who never make a 'mistake'.
    Personally I'd go further. Every penny Chambers earned while he was taking drugs should be retrieved. He should be sued. There are clean athletes out there who lost money and prestige because of Chambers and all the other cheats.
    Lock them up. Lets make it a criminal offence.