IMCH 2009

Comments

• Barry K - costs will include

Bike £500
    Wetsuit £200, or £50 hired.
    Entry £250
    Various bits of kit £200 (trainers, bike shoes, pedals, aerobars, helmet, water bottles and cages, speedo, pumps, air cylinders, inner tubes, energy drinks... actually, make that £300)
    Bike box £200, or you can grab some cardboard boxes from your LBS.
    Flight £100
    Accommodation £200

What does that lot come to?  I'd say that's a fair reflection.

• FerrousFerret wrote (see)
    Google says that IMCH this year was 550CHF so about £275 at SwissBobby's exchange rate

>thud< image

I'll be on beans for months! image

• I'd say a total budget of closer to £1500, to include flights, accomodation and insurance is actually more realistic. Which, now I add it up, is about what Garr estimates. Dont forget paying for some open water swims, entry fees to cyclosportifs and/or a warm up half IM.

But another sort of "hidden" cost is also your increased food bill. I have been eating a LOT more than I did just marathon training - and it needs to be good quality food too. Sorry Nam, but beans alone aint gonna cut it!

(Although the resultant extra forward propulsion sometimes generated by excess consumption of beans might help with bursts of power?)

• And bouyancy if in the wetsuit??? image
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    before finally committing, make sure you can afford the journey Nam - it ain't a cheap ride...........

on top of all the kit costs, you will be surprised how much it's gonna cost you to train with the need for bars/fuels/gels etc - that adds up to a fair but but it tends to drip feed through rather than hit in big lumps like entry fees/travel costs etc....

you'll probably find you'll become an eating machine as well as the training load increases - that can be expensive

work out the expected costs before committing and if money is tight, ask yourself if you can afford to do it - or can it wait.....no point attempting if you know you can't meet the costs

and if after that, you do enter, take out the cancellation insurance at the same time - doesn't cost much more and could save you a lot of you need to withdraw

• I never said it was not a lot of money...

I was showing how it could be reduced/spread into managable chunks... when I started doing IM my summer holidays was going to bala to do the half IM!!! and staying with family and friends round the UK. There are tricks to airfares too... look very carefully at the small print. Low Cost Airlines are not always so. Especially when they charge you for sport equipement and then limit you to the weight (15 kg for a bike in a box is not enough)

x-post with flyaway

• flyaway wrote (see)

Sorry Nam, but beans alone aint gonna cut it!

(Although the resultant extra forward propulsion sometimes generated by excess consumption of beans might help with bursts of power?)

>parp<

Dosh problems are only temporary...  Life should be back to normal by Christmas.  image

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    you'll probably find you'll become an eating machine as well as the training load increases
    LOL, yes but it's one eating machine rather than two, so in comparison to last year I'll still be quids in...  image
  • Ahh, brilliant minds....

FBs point made me think of something else though, Nam. If money is tight month to month, you might find yourself spending more in the long term because you cant afford savings. That sounds odd, but what I mean is, if, for example, you buy a whole box of Go gels from Wiggle at about £50, each gel costs you less than if you buy them individually. But if you have to live paycheck to paycheck, and you cant afford the £50 in one fell swoop, you'll end up spending more in the long term, buying 3 or 4 gels every week, as and when you need them. Same with things like Multi-tickets for swimming sessions or something. Plus, I have to pay to park at the pool on the Wirral, so thats a few extra pounds per week. Although the Aldershot one is free, so it balances out....

I dont think IM is something you can do if you have financial worries like a mortgage. It is expensive, no two ways about it. It would be awful to get to a month out, and need new trainers, and a bike service, and a new helmet or something and just not have the money.

you should see the costs when there are 2 in the house doing an IM!!! thank dog for no brats.......we couldn't afford them.......image

fa is also right about buying bulk - sign up for newsletters from internet sites as they often give you leads to bargains. I've bought boxes of SiS gels from Ribble Cycles 'cos they had good deals on saving something like 30%
  • Nam we can share some of the costs if you like - will ease my burden a bit too image

• Though we might not be able to share a helmet if we need one image
  • or a wetsuit....but I might pay to watch you try!!! image
  • Rio!! wrote (see)

Nam we can share some of the costs if you like - will ease my burden a bit too image

LOL, we could bulk buy between the three of us...  image

Ratbag wrote (see)
    or a wetsuit....but I might pay to watch you try!!! image

hehehe....  ...  how much?? image

• LOL  Ratbag!

Luckily we both already have one of those each image

• ssssshhhtt!!!!  He said he'd pay to watch!!!!!!!!! image
  • I reakon I spent £10000 on Ironman last year though I did 3 races and bought a very shiny new bike.
  • Oh so he did.

Where and when then Nam?   Should we video it and put it up for auction?  We might even pay all our costs on the proceeds image

• At the moment my Imagic has cost about £60 an hour, must use it more this winter.. 

In fact the bike is even worse at something like £500 an hour to date.

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    I reakon I spent £10000 on Ironman last year though I did 3 races and bought a very shiny new bike.
    Does building an extension to keep your kit in count as essential spending................?
  • ....Barlos...you are so desperate that you date your bike for £500 a time???....I did hear about people loving inanimate objetcs but this is taking a bit far.....
  • Barley - how are you feeling? Did you find the goodies I left under your car on Monday (was really really hoping you wouldn't drive over the unopened beer bottles...........)
  • Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    I reakon I spent £10000 on Ironman last year though I did 3 races and bought a very shiny new bike.
    Yeah but having seen your bike, its worth more than my car! image
  • Who was it that was gonna do the IMNZ and get huuuge sponsorship to do it - he was a high flier from the city and had the contacts. But he was gonna take his expenses out of the sponsorship ?

I think he realised it was a bit of a dodgy idea tho - so he changed his mind.

Are you gonna run a wetsuit webcam pay per view ?

Get the advertising right and it'd pay for all of our IM adventures.