IM France Race Reports

Comments

• DV - great report.  you kept us on the edge of our seats waiting for your swim bike and run splits.  there should be an award for most gripping remotely followed pirate racer!
  • nice report

orsum

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    are you still alive Candy??

a supporter writes of his experience in Nice

it was fecking hot
    some people had a swim, bike and run
    we got lashed
    we came home

oh - and the missus "won" her age group and got a cracking gong at the awards ceremony and proudly carried her bunch of flowers home to blighty....

seriously - well done those who took part on Sunday, and especially those who didn't finish - that was a brutally hot day for an IM
  • KK and DV great reports.  Full and frank - which is bloody helpful to us virgin warriors planning for next year!  Thanks and a massive well done to you both. 

DV - Cut offs are arbitrary, full distance is absolute - and you absolutely did it DV.  KK, sorry you didn't make full distance but it sounds like you are pretty sorted in your own mind about why which all sounds pretty positive to me. 

• I'm sure all of you prirate are capable bike riders that know the rules and race happily but one amongst you, a lady with Red hair committed a the sin of overtaking on the right and knocking me off my bike, wrecking me, my race and my bike. I spent an hour in an ambulance being cleaned up and now have £700 of damage to my bike. It was a stupid thing to do. I have raced many times and never had this happen before. As you can tell I'm not happy, my race was over after 1.5 hours. Just though you should know what happened.
  • Yes candy - don't do that.  Sorry you are strawbeery blond
  • the names bond, strawbeery bond
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    It was Mick Hucknall !
  • I dont think its much of a joking matter if this is a genuine incident.
  • Thanks spartacus, its not just the damage to me and the bike but also the cost of the event, hotels etc and the dissapointment for me and my supporters.
  • It's is also (in my view) inappropiate to sate this fact or accusation, whichever it may be on a forum in this manner.

If there was an incident that's not great, but it's one of those things which can happen.  Better luck next time Mr Mason

• Bloody hell...................... how far into the bike leg were you when it happened?
  • and gumps these things can happen but if people respect the rules they happen less
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

Can I ask how someone overtaking on your right managed to cause you to crash that badly?

• because she cut infront of me because the road was narrowing from the right
    JM - naturally you are feeling bitter about this but please don't take this out on the individual concerned on an open forum as she is not yet back from France to defend herself

I'm sure she will want to discuss this with you when she returns as, has been said, it's an accusation that nobody posting on here can comment about bar the people concerned......

it's not nice being knocked off - and IM S has a tale to tell here - but "j'accuse" is the wrong approach. she may have a completely different view of events and to drag the accusations into an open forum is somewhat disrespectful of the forum and not very honourable imho
  • Hello!

straight home and people have already sent me videos of Meldy! 

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ironman-france-2008-run-finish-line/3305198982

(yes I know it's probably old news already)

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

Without having seen the incident it's difficult to say if the young lady in question was at fault.  But that close to the start of an IM course there would have been lots of bikes around with everyone trying to settle into the ride, taking on water and not concentrating as hard as they probably should on what's going on around them so incidents do happen.  I'm sorry it happened to you but as Pebble says, shit happens. 

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    Should you not be competeing in the Paris -Dakar?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I agree that joking may not be appropriate, but I didn’t like the finger pointing tone. The said lady may have been avoiding a crash herself, and I’m not sure how her overtaking on the wrong side makes someone else fall-off. I’m sure it was unintentional anyway.
  • F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

I was not witness to incident so do not know facts, but did see a lot of overtaking on the right. The overtaking on the right that I did see was often caused by slower riders not riding to  the right as they should have been, thus forcing the faster riders to either slow down or over take on the right.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Is there a rule to keep to the right then and overtaking on the left only ?   

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Yes, you're supposed to follow the rules of the roads, which in France means overtaking on the left.  However, as Foggy says, that's not always easy or possible when the road is busy and riders don't keep to the right.
  • I was well over to the right and read the rules

Also, you can be disqualified for a Yellow Line Violation in which you cross

over the yellow centre line on the road while passing someone. This is particularly

dangerous due to the potential for a collision with oncoming traffic or

competitors. If people are blocking you from passing on the left, yell at them to

move to the right before risking a pass which involves a yellow line violation.

• that's correct, you're supposed to ride on the right and overtake on the left, and then get back on the right as soon as you've overtaken (and the person you've passed drops back 7 metres).   but as has been said, that doesn't or can't always happen, esp near the start where it's packed.

there were lots of referees out but LOADS of cheating going on.  towards the front of the pack, at least a quarter of the pack must have been drafting.  glad to see no pirates cheating though (probably because they were mostly too rubbish to be anywhere near anybody they could draft off!)

the overtaking rule is also complicated by the non-drafting rule which says you have to leave 7m between each rider so technically you should have space to overtake on the left (right in the UK).......but 4km into an IM bike the road will be packed with riders so the draftbusters are usually lenient here until the race settles into a racing pattern and the slower swimmers/faster bikers have caught up and passed the faster swimmers/slower bikes.....

but sometimes - and it's happened to me - you have to overtake on the inside to avoid collision as the person on the left themselves are blocked from overtaking by events in front.........it's a judgement call and I guess things can and do go wrong.....

but let's not start assuming what happened and leave it rest until the person can answer
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Just looked at the finish line photos. Great stuff image

Almost makes you want to do an IM image

• I agree, didn't want to start anything but had no way of letting the person know. Ironman is a great sport and is even better if we are all a little carefull and thoughtfull when we race