Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Name:Michael Greenhalgh
    Brief running history:
    This is my 5th Great North run in a row and I've run a couple of Great Manchester runs too. I ran my first GNR as a stepping stone to running the London Marathon before I turned 30. I'm 31 now and still haven't done it. I love running the GNR though and keep coming back each year. I enjoy the atmosphere you get running in such a huge event and like Newcastle.Reason why we should train you:I'm rubbish at training and could really benefit from some good advice and a dose of motivation. I always start out with good intentions, but end up wishing I'd trained more. The 1st GNR I did I trained too late and finished in around 2 hrs 10. The 2nd GNR I drank too much before the race, had to make a pit stop and my knee locked up, so I hobbled the rest of the course 3hrs +. I think I'd injured my knee going off too quick and trying to run round people at the start by jumping up the kerbs. The 3rd run was better but I still finished in over 2 hrs, again my training had been poor. Then last June I tore my ankle ligaments playing football, so I had an excuse for taking it easy. I started off slowly and accidentally paced my run better than ever, but my split times showed I tired dramatically when I got to the hills at around 10 miles, I finished in just over 2 hours again.As you can tell I would really benefit from some decent training Half-marathon goal:1 hour 45 mins. I know that sounds ambitious, but I've run the Manchester 10k in around 48 mins twice. I've just started the Runners World Smart Coach 16 week training plan and met all my goals for the 1st week (ran 21miles). I reckon with some proper training I can easily go under 2 hours and why set a goal that's not a challenge? 
  • Name: Gwen Curtin
    Brief running history: I started running when i first moved to london from ireland.. about 4 years ago this september! I did a few 10km runs.. and then this year I did the london marathon for charity.. which was the best experience of my life!! I developed a run for loving.. since doing this I have done one half marathon but have lost my mojo and need some help!
    Reason why we should train you: I seem to have lost my confidence in running.. I would love to run a decent half marathon time!!! Please train me and help me achieve this goal.  I want to tone up and get fit and prove to myself that I can be a half way decent runner!  Running the Great North run would be a fantastic experience for me.. Its something I've heard about since I was much younger and would love to achnieve it this year! Please consider me for this.  I watched granny denny closely all through london marathon and would love to have a similar experience!!
    Half-marathon goal: 2hrs
  • John Owens.

I have never been the right shape for running. Previously a good rugby player and plagued with knee trouble in my mid 20's I had surgery a couple of years ago, and due to bad advice ended up with a DVT to contend with. Worked on getting fit again through this and ran occasionally but have never been one for distances. 2008 has been my year of change. I work in an industry where partying is plentiful and there is a huge work hard, play hard attitude. So, why not set a challenge and train for a marathon?! I gave up alcohol on 1st May for 12 months and am training hard - I am actually entered in the Berlin marathon on Sept 28th but believe that a diary of my tribulations up to and including that and then GNR the following week would be entertaining. I am currently up to 16km for a long run but because of my heavy build it is taking a while to recover between runs. I have run 2 x 10km races in the last 3 weeks and am at 54 mins. I would love to do a half marathon in 1 hour 45 mins. I intend to continue running into the future and am getting my friends involved too - I think the sense of achievement in running a distance never before conquered by oneself is unrivalled. Bring on the next goal!

• Name: Spinkletoes

Brief history of my running: started running in 2000 to help me lose weight and I did - 9 stones of it (from 22st) I was doing 10k in 1:15 and loving it. Got married, had baby, oh dear, it all went back on. And more. Furious with myself. I'd worked so hard. Tried again. Did the GNR in 2006, trained like a fiend, got to 21st, did it in 3:39. Walked most of the way (I'd 'freaked out' thinking I was the only fat person there and lost all confidence). Guess what? Put all the damned weight back on afterwards and spent 18 months miserable at over 24st. Hubbie did the 2007 and I struggled just walking around holding the bags. It couldn't go on anymore. I weighed in at Easter 2008 at 24st 8lbs. I started walking and pushed myself to do 22 min per mile. I've shifted nearly 4st now and haved upped my running to 15 miles a week at 15 mins per mile. I need a focus. I have unfinished business with the GNR, and I'd like to go round in 3 hours.

Why I need you: I want to get round in a good time and be in good nick afterwards. I want to shift this weight. I need to prove something to myself and I want to show my son (who has some communications problems) that Mummy has her struggles too but she keeps going and doesn't give up.

And I won't...

• Liz Stavreski

Started running at the age of 32 in August 2006 and and it has transformed my life and I love it, I am so much fitter and happier! 

I have never followed a structured training regime or had a coach and could really benfit from expert advice.  My basic regime has been to race myself fit. Sadly I run my 5km & 10 km races at the same pace as my Half Marathon! I ran a PB of 83 minutes in January this year and felt I was on form for a sub 3 marathon at London. Unfortunately got a slipped a disc a month before and could not run.  It would be amazing to have a great event such as the GNR to focus my running on over the next few months . My injury has made me lose alot of confidence and fitness but believe I can came back stronger and faster with the support of experts.  My ambition is to run an 80 minute half.

•  Please help get rid of my gut!

I started running in 2003 by pure accident. I had been swimming for awhile to lose weight. This was after one day looking in the mirror and thinking to myself "look at the state of you". I was 16st and going into a 38" waist.  i managed a length and a half then had to stop. I was so unfit i couldn't believe it. I gradually, over the next six months got up to 100 lengths. I felt so good and i was losing loads of pounds.

Down to 14st i went to the pool one day to be told it would be closing for three months to re-line the bottom. I was gutted and thought i was going to get fat again. They said i could transfer to the gym. I was not keen on that as i thought i was still over weight and at 45, a bit old. Anyway i gave it a try to avoid the weight gain. I got on a treadmill and ran at 5 mph for 5 mins and thought i would die. Even though i had swam i could not run. I carried on for a week or so, then day before the FLM of 2003 i went to London with my sons to watch football. As we entered London they were warning of the road closures for the marathon the next day. I joked to my lad, "i could do that marathon thing,  it can't be that hard". He said to me in reply "bet you can't". Well that was it. I started training, did not get in for 2004 so i went to Blackpool and ran their marathon. I have now done London 3 times, Abingdon X2, Loch Ness X2, South Downs x2 and Blackpool. In all nearly 150 races at all distances and i love to run.

The problem i do have though is i cannot get rid of the last bit of my stomach bulge. I train on average 35 miles aweek, run two marathons every year, yet i have a big stomach. What am i doing wrong?

I would love the oppotunity to train with your expects for two aims. The first one is to help me train in a way to get my body shape right, the other is to break 90mins for a half. I have a PB of 1hr 33mins at Silverstone.

I would like to use this also as a way of getting to my main goal of a 3:30 marathon, PB being 3hrs 33mins. I have never done the Great North run although i have done the Great South 4 times and i am entered this year, i have also entered the Great north swim. I am not sure what i have let myself in for there though.

I am now coming up to 50, but i feel 30. Running has done that.

Thanks for the chance,

Andy

andrew.gillespie2@btinternet.com

• *Kicks M.ister W in the shin and runs off*

go away....

I won't I just wont......

*stomps feet*

• goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

Name Goldbeetle

Running History: Ive been running about 5 years and had initial success did my first race in 47 mins after about 1 years hard training got under 40 the same year I did a 1.30.07 1/2 marathon missed it by  7 seconds!

Anyway got injured after that and have been struggling to get over it for 2 years Plantar Fasciaitis is such fun.

Why I need you: Just to be a running injury free and get back that feeling of running without worry, to be able to do the races I want to do without pain and I ve never been to Newcastle or further north than Grimsby so it will be a revelation for a soft southerner to experience the Toon

• Name kevin

Running History; I am a newbi to running out doors, it will be my first time at doing any race event.

what I would like, My main aim is to get get round in once piece. I would like to try and complete the course within 3 hours. I have been experiencing some challenges in my training so having some help from the experts would be great.
  • Name: Andy Sutton

Brief running history: Had never run at all before April last year.  Was inspired to race to start earning money for a charity for homeless children in India run by a family friend who gave up his career in the UK to move to India and set up an orphanage.  Started off slowly last year with the Great Wales run and have so far done 3 more 10k races this year plus running about 50 - 100 k a month.  Am aiming to run sub 1 hr for the 10k for the first time in the Great Wales run this year.  This would be my first half marathon.

Reason why we should train you: It would help me help a very good cause.  I'm happy to train myself if I need to and am motivated to get fitter while helping others in need.  But the extra training and the motivation that would bring, plus the chance to highlight a good cause, would help me immensely.  It's also a chance to show that anyone, including a 16 st 30 year old, can take up running for the 1st time and enjoy it.

Half-marathon goal: First goal to get round in one piece but would like to beat 2 hrs

• Brief History: Started running Jan 07 with a friend and became hooked. Ran GNR last year & loved it. As a result have lost 7 stone (was 18 stone!). Running as changed my life and made me a happier, healthier person.

Would love the chance to train with some pro's to get some sort of structure. Have never had a personal trainer / training of any sort and what better way than incorporating top training for the greatest half in the world.

Thanks

Mark

• Name:  Ruth Smalley

Brief running history:  Started running when a friend challenged me to do Race 4 Life in memory of her friend.  Got bitten by the bug and have since done various races up to and including half marathons.  Also training for a triathlon now.

Reason why you should train me:  I started running at the same time as Liverbird and we often do races together.  I wouldn't say we're that competitive, but she beat me by 1 second in the last 10k we did and I need to get even......  Liverbird already has a GNR place and essentially she needs someone to pace her to go sub 2 hours.  I would love to be that person, but since I can't do a sub 2 hour half I really need your help!!!  In fact, I need you help very urgently, as when she reads this she's going to kill me so I'll need to be fast!

Half-marathon goal: Sub 2 hours and to beat Liverbird!

• name.    ANDY MONEY.      

Brief running history. i retired from running in 2001 after nearly 20 years in the sport. i completed the great north run 11 times and had a pb of 72 mins. i started running again in march 08 and the weight is falling off me.

reason you should train me. 

despite now been 42 and slightly overweight i am more keen and hungry for success then ever before! and im sure with your help i can finish high up amongst the vets and who knows perhaps be as just as fast as i was in my 20s! now theres a challenge for us both!!!!!

goal. to be the best i could possibly be!!

• Lee Lawrance

I started running again last December determined to fulfill my dream of running the London Marathon.  I was a keen runner in my early teens and have kept gym fit over the years but I am now back into my running and I love it.  I am running 4 times a week totalling 25 miles at the moment and ran a 10K race in Bromsgove in May.  My current goals are to be able to complete a half Marathon before the end of the year in under 2 hours and build on my training to complete a full Marathon in under 4 hours next year.

I would love to compete in the Great North Run,  this would fit into my training plan really well.  I am very enthusiastic and have been keen to adopt all the good advice found on Runner's World and other websites.  I am really aware of my body's need for a change in my diet and nutrition in order to feel good when I run.  I have introduced some Farlak, hill and cross training into my routine but I'm sure that I am getting the most out of my own self invented programs. I would really appreciate some expert advice and guidance to get the most out of my training regime. 

I feel I deserve the chance to experience the training package because I am open to new training methods, I would truely appreciate such an opportunity and I am enthusiastic and committed to my goals.  I would also love to share the experience and help to inspire and motivate other runners as I have been from forums and the testimonies of other runners.

• Name: Mick Stringfellow

Brief running history: I started running regularly around December 2006 with the initial aim to shift a bit of weight and improve my general fitness. To maintain my motivation after the winter months I entered the 2007 Great North Run, I took it easy and enjoyed the atmosphere finishing in 02:28:41.
    Since then I done the Saltwell 10K road race (very tough) in 1:04:00, 2007 Santa Run and this years Blaydon Race (5.9 miles in 56 minutes)
    I have a place in this years GNR and have entered into the ballot for next years London Marathon.
    I've just started to do some speed work and have even started running up some local hills to beef the legs up a bit.

Reason why we should train you: To demonstrate to others that a slightly over weight 36 year old can start running, enter a half marathon, (and more importantly finish it!) and the following year (with Runners World help) smash his time.

Half-marathon goal: I have 3 goals. My absolute dream is to finish under 2 hours, My main goal is 2:10:00 and my ’that’ll do’ goal is 2:20:00.

• On route to my local slimming club 4 years ago, i decided to run again, 400 metres later and im puffing and on the verge of collapsing, well it felt like it, the good news is i didn't give in.  The 400 metres soon turned into a mile and closely followed by my first 10k the Reading 020.  The slimming club dropped by the way side, like they always do, but the running continued with a Half marathon the following year.  April 2005, like many others im located on my sofa dreaming of joining the thousands in London. After a couple of rejections i finally ran London this year, followed by Edinburgh, certified nut image.

LIke thousands of others, the Great North Run is another amazing event that i would love to experience,  the one thing we do in this country well is organised runs, that suit every level of runner.  And i once again i want to be on that start line , abeit more towards the back.  The smartcoach and my fellow  club runners will be once again be used well for the great info and advice.  I have never had the experience of being trained, so i would soak up every bit of support and training methods and use it to benefit my running.

I have been very fortunate in my lifetime to have never suffered a major illness,  so there are far more deserving people to choose, but to be giving a chance to run a major race, with the package that you are offering as a prize, is something, that if i won this prize, i would give a 100% and follow the training advice and use it to enhance my running, not only for the GNR but all future races.  

Half Marathon Goal.   WIth the support of RW and Lucozade then it has to be a PB. Came close at Reading, so will aim for   2 : 09

• Cheers BB - I nominate JPenno, DG and Mister W image
  • I ran the GNR back in 1991 with brother and cousin.

Then in 2003 ran it again to raise money for 2 SCBU after daughter was ill when born. When i crossed thie finish line i knew i had to return. Have completed the GNR ever since raising money for the Bobby Moore Fund. Have also started a running club in the village which has helped others start to run. I have completed GSR and 1 off road marathon as well as 10k's. Also helped launch the local school running club. So since my GNR in 2003 the locals have taken up on the sport as well.

The reason why i should get your help in training is that i have reached my own training peak, i need new ideas and guidance from you guys. I am Mr Average at the moment and it shows what the average person can acheive, but i need more, the bug to train better and improve is in me, you just have to get it out !!!

Plus the fact that my video diary would be very good to watch and give others alot of hope !!

I am prepared to do what ever is needed to show others how running can benifit you.

My half marathon goal is sub 1.40 and to inspire others to have a go !!  image

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

I'd like to nominate by wife, Heather Kettlewell

She's running the GNR this year for this first time, raising money for Glaucoma which she has had since birth.  Recently she was diagnosed with a hole in her heart which have caused a series of minor strokes. I don't want to play on her illnesses as a reason to have some training and the prize, she has a target of simply getting around the course, and I know how proud she will be, and me and our young son will be, when she finishes the race.  She has no running history, she runs with fellow teachers each week at school, that's it. She's my wife, i love her and she needs some structured training to achieve what will make an incredible achievement for someone who has had the setbacks she has.

• Brief Running History: Quickstepper - runner by day, ballroom dancer by night.

Reason Why You Should Train Me:  Just approaching the big 40 next year.  I would love to get some real expert help to give me that slight edge to achieve a PB sub 1:17:57 (very important that 3 seconds) .  It might even improve my Cha-Cha-Cha, who knows?

Half Marathon Goal: To sample the "hardest half marathon in the world"....in the words of my Geordie mate "Tadge".  He has ran it the last 4 years and every time he comes back with tales of woe about the eternal climbs (I suppose the TV does flatten the world!)...so this South West country bloke would like to see just how hard it is and sample a Geordie celebration afterwards.  Dream goal sub 1:15, realistic sub 1:17 but with RWs help.....

• I nominate JPenno, because he's a nice boy. Farnie wants to it really, she just doesn't want me photographing her bottom and posting it on here....

DG needs to do it because somebody has to drag me over the finish line!

And I got in this year, so I'll be ensuring there's a bit of high maintenance tantruming on the course when the hills kick in.....image

arrrhh the famous half marathon bum shot......

How I am glad I wont be doing this so you cant get another half mara bum shot image

(Jpenno) *coughs*

*coughs louder*

I simply wont do it.....so there is no need to nominate me......

• Wow...this has got me excited already...it sounds like an athletes dream!!!

I hope you will consider me to be part of the Super Six as i really think that this package would help to push me towards my goal of a 75minute Half-Marathon, and would also be special to me as i had a Paralysing Neurological condition (Guillane Barre Syndrome) at 16y/o which left me in a wheelchair having to "Learn" to walk again. I have been running for about two years now, since doing the sheffield half marathon in 1hr41mins...however, despite running a decent 1.19 at last years GNR i am now mega-stuck on times and training. I do all my schedules with the help from runners world, but at present my training has gone stale and i really think that this, with the help of Steve Smythe, is the boost i need!!! I love running but i want to re-ignite the passion. Oh, and im quite a random guy too so i will be more than happy to do all the blog stuff etc...it sounds like awesome fun!!! Without sounding desperate...PLEASE PICK ME!!!!!

Thanks, Tom

• Name:

Lindsay Gilmour

Brief running history: 

Off and on runner for a few years, but never anything serious.

Reason why we should train you: 

At the start of 2008 I was 12 stone 9 pounds (at 5'3"), getting fatter and more unhealthy by the week. A shame really, because I always used to be pretty good at staying fit, but it just fell away.  I was 40 in March, and without ever really thinking about it, something about that milestone got into my head and I decided to make some *radical* changes.

Since then I've joined Weight Watchers, lost nearly two stone (so far), started climbing again, passed my next diving qualification, and started running regularly, come rain or shine.  I haven't looked or felt so good for years. 

The week before last I ran my first ever race, a 10k.  Despite getting my eating completely wrong and nearly passing out with bowel pain, I finished  in just over an hour.

Now I just want to enter more races, and get faster times.  I'm really competitive!

Finishing the Great North Run, in a decent time, would cap this year of change for me personally, and prove to all the other Fat and Forty folk out there that it's never to late to shake yourself up and regain a bit of your lost youth (and waistline!)

Half-marathon goal:

I don't even know what a good time is, but in the two hour ballpark sounds good, doesn't it?  image

• September 2005 jogged my FIRST ever 5km race for Breast Cancer my two friends were battling the disease. I had to run & walk , 5km is a long way !!

April 2006 watched the London Marathon on tv as l had always done and decided to train and run it in 2007 ( oh yeah me and thousands of others saying the same thing ).

April 2007 l completed my FIRST ever LONDON MARATHON ( age 43 ) my aim was to ENJOY & FINISH SAFELY l did and  raised lots of money and awareness for charity. 

April 2008 l completed my SECOND LONDON MARATHON training was a drag in the cold, wind and it always seemed to be raining, l vowed not to do anymore marathons ( l promised my husband and two children & my friends) but on the day my experience was even better than my first time, l felt fabulous really  happy and when l crossed the FINISH LINE l felt emotional 26.2 miles is a long way and l could not believe l had done it AGAIN.

2 x London Marathons, 10 x Half Marathons, 7 x 10kms & 6 x 5kms later.........

The GREAT NORTH RUN seems to be one of the ULTIMATE races to take part in alongside the London Marathon , my time is important to no-one but myself, l run my own pace and l now realise l can MOTIVATE myself. Jogging is part of my life , sometimes l jog for charity raising a few quid and other times l jog purely for myself because l CAN.  My  husband , children and friends are very supportive BUT none of them run l train on my own and sometimes it is LONELY.

My jogging career started late  and l simply want to take part in as many of the high profile races that l can the GREAT NORTH being one of them  . Pick me you'll be glad you did xX

• Name: Ailsa Macfarlane

Brief running history:
    Ran first ever mile (since school cross country where I took “pride” in being last) in August 2007.
    Ran first Half Marathon in April 2008. Did 5k, 5 mile and 10k races along the way. Discovered a real love of running. It surprised and astounded me. This year I ran my first marathon and loved it. I never imagined doing it; I never had a list of stuff “to do”. It just crept up on me.
    All the way through I blogged about it (and my obsession with sports bras). Every run logged, the downs and the ups –sometimes in one training session. The discipline helped, writing it down, having evidence of work done and miles logged. 
    Some of the moments I’m most proud of are running achievements. It might sound sad – but only to a non-runner. Pushing yourself, knowing that only you can make a difference to how you perform is a transformative process.

Reason why we should train you: Because I find running inspirational. In less than 2 years I’ve gone from can’t run a mile faster than 15min to finishing my first marathon. I’m at my peak age (29 …) and feel that with the right help and encouragement almost anything is possible. I believe I’m capable of a sub 1.45 half (my favourite distance) – I just need someone else to believe it too.

Half-marathon goal: 1. Finish 2. Get a PB (2.05) 3. Surprise myself.

• Stephen Kay

Been running on and off for the past 5 years completing up to half marathon distance.  Then this year decided to train properly  to fulfill a lifetime ambition to complete a marathon before I turned 30.  Also set target of sub 3 hours as I had previously ran 1.25 for a half marathon.  Hard training for a few months paid off and my half PB was slashed to 1.19 followed by the Belfast marathon in 2 Hrs 55.

I have also always wanted to complete the London marathon but would love to enter as an elite by getting a qualifying time which I believe to be 2.45 for a full or 1.15 for a half. My training is a bit random at the moment and I need some proper coaching and advice to advance to the next level. I want you to help me find my true potential in this sport.

• Name: Denise

Running History: Ran while at school then hit teeage years and stopped! Went jogging on and off over the years in between having 5 children! After not running for some years, and putting lots of weight on, ran the race for life in 1999 for my friend who had cancer. Tried to keep up the jogging and entered the Great North run the same year for an incentive to get fit! Crawled round in over 2 and a half hours but loved it and have ran every Great North Run since. My best official time was last year when I officially broke 2hours (1hour 57mins 03secs!) this year will be my 10th successive Great North Run and over the years have got quite a few other people to do it too! This year my 2 sons and daughter will be running too (none of them have done it before) and my good friend and running partner will be running and her husband. I would love to build on last years improvement and get close to or under 1hour 50mins. I know I am capable but never run to my potential. I ran the London marathon this year so have a reasonable base to start from but need to speed up!

Reason to train me: I am keen to fulfill my potential and dont want to be left behind by my family and friends! This is a special year for me as when I started running the Great North my aim was to get a red number to show I had done 10 - and now they have stopped doing that this would compensate!

Half marathon target: To break 1hour 50mins before I am 50!! Please please help image

• Name: Phil Pomeroy

Star sign: Aquarius (oops sorry, got carried away with the personal info)

Running history: Having seriously neglected my fitness for the last 15 years I stopped smoking 3 months ago and started running last week. I can just about run a mile on a good day!

Reason to train me: If it's possible to take someone from zero to half marathon in 10 weeks then I'm a good candidate as I really am about as close to the zero mark as you can get!

Target: Easy, to finish! (setting the target is easy, I don't expect the training to be!)