A new 10k in under 60 mins thread?

Comments

• Hey Flo.

We'll have to compare notes then! My schedule has a slow run at least once a week too - with some intervals kicking in a couple of weeks time (once a week), a longer run (once a week) and a shortish run at a reasonable pace.

My half is in Oct with a 10k in late sept.

Looking forward to Thursday (on my schedule a 4 miler with no instructions on pacing) when I can just run without worrying too much about my heart rate and try for a time though!

• BB are you by any chance doing the Swansea 10k and the Cardiff half???  I've entered the swansea one but am having a fit at the cost of cardiff......£25 for a HM....daylight robbery!!!!
  • Will compare notes BB my half is 27th Sept with another one 2 weeks later. Are we a similar age? Think I may be  the oldest nowimage

I used to get so paranoid about my heart rate that I had to stop wearing the monitor but started up again when I was trying to train slower!

Next run is a 4 mile steady tomorrow the worry is that even the steady runs are slower than my half marathon pace the only quicker runs are the intervals.

Westmoors where are you when we need you.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Fussy Wimp wrote (see)
    What's MMM?!

Not what, Ed - WHO!! Mickeymoomooimage. And talking of missing race reports, didn't somebody do a Tough Guy event or something ages ago?image

Talking of missing people - where's DM got to??

• From the looks of Facebook, DM is riding around on her bike! I'm sure her legs'll get tired soon so she'll post something. image

I twigged with the Mickemoomoo thing after I posted! And my report is still, erm, work in progress...

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Ok, FW - will stop nagging you I promise- don't tell us if you don't want toimage.

Gosh, quiet on here today. 9.08@ 8.12 pace in really horribly hot and humid conditions todayimage. AAA now standing at 90/ 230image

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

Finished another 5 miles tonight --- in the dark --- need to get out earlier.

AAA 10/60

• I have got to do 4 steady tomorrow have to go at either half 8 in the morning or about half 8 in the evening. Trouble is it is getting dark now and I may finish work late so not sure what to do!

Suppose I could just see how I feel tomorrow morning!!!

Well done Jason and Ado.

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭
    FP be careful if you go out at night, plenty of lights/reflectors. If they drive near you like they drive near me, it's a death wish to be on the road. Don't people realise that the speed limits are maximums not minimums? There are some nutters about, one of which nearly swatted me tonight.
  • Ooh oldest poster here??? Well. I'm 43 (44 at end of Jan) FP ...

Andrea, you are right about my races ... and I thought the same about the cost of the Cardiff Half too!! But it's a nice flat race with a lot of entrants that's quite near home and we'll be running past places I know so at least it will give some idea of how far I'll be getting too, so decided to go for it ... see you there and Swansea??

I went out at 8.20 the other night Flo, and was pretty dark near the end nearly 50 mins later ... I quite enjoyed it, but it probably wasn't the safest idea - up a non-lit cycle track that's away from houses and people ... probably especially bad idea if I'd been female on my own too ... it's a difficult call really FP ...

• Helloimage

Hope you don't mind me joining your thread, new to the site and liked the look of this threadimage  did a 6 miler the other sunday and it took me 1.01, I was happy with this as its the longest i've run since i started running four months ago, but like many of you here would love to break the hour barrier!!!

I've been having a few problems with my ankles, think i've been tying my laces too tight so have changed the way I do them up, so hopefully that will sort that problem out.  Just need to concentrate on keeping the pace going......even when I get boredimage

Andrea I had hills this Tuesday they didn't go as planned as my ankles hurt, so I made sure I went out for an easy run today with my friend, the run went well image

I have a few 10k's booked up for the next few months, but am looking at them as training runs to begin with, don't want to go in to heavy....

Well going to bed now, hope you don't mind the intrusion

speak to you all soonimage and hopefully this sundays run will go well!!!!!

• Welcome aboard Stephatj the more the merrier. Won't take you long to get there.

I decided to go this morning instead and glad it is over. Very humid this morning.

4 miles steady at 10.18 pace.

42.26 for the month so far  5 miles steady on Saturday then 10 miles slow on Sunday.

BB I am older but it would not be lady like to admit my age, come back OB!!!!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Welcome Stephatj and hi everyone elseimage. Good running FP - I don't know when to go running today as it is really warm here and I've got the dreaded intervals today (in the middle 4m of an 8m runimage). Club night tonight, but don't know if I'll go - getting harder to find someone to run with as my mileage increases!
  • Hi FP and well done FP for going out this morning, I find morning runs the hardest (not a morning person me!)  Brave person for doing a 10 miler, I have enough trouble just doing the 6 miles, but they all count

Hi jason, go on go to the club, the hardest part is going, but once your there.........luckily I have someone I can run with when there are no club nights, which I find does help a lot, keeps you going image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Stephatj - no problem going to the club- it's just that I know that when I ask, "Who fancies doing a hilly 2m warm up, 3x 1 mile @ 6.33 pace with 1/2m  jogs and 2m hilly warm down?" I won't get many takers.... So might just go and get it over and done with earlier.image
  • Jason....give me a few months and i'll be there!!!image (that's a hysterically laughing smiley by the way!!!)....Did i see you running up the dual carriageway on tuesday?  If not, you have a double that also runs!!! 

I did my run this morning, was meant to  be 5 miles easy (55 mins).....without a garmin i'm finding it hard to regulate my pace, so just thought i'd try to be at the halfway mark in half the time etc...........anyway i got to halfway at 22.22, so thought i'd better slow down....did the whole thing in 47.15 and i did feel like i was running slowly..........when i got home i measured it on mapmyrun and it came out to 4.7 miles but in the car it was exactly 5 so not sure which to believe!¬!!  Either way, i am definetely starting to feel like i can do these longer distances (ok not 20 miles, but small steps!!) a bit easier!!!  And even more importantly, my hip pain isn't as bad!!

My friend has just rung and asked me to go to her running club tonight to do about 4 miles, i am so tempted but know it would be the wrong thing to do when i'm trying to stick to a schedule!!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Andrea B - well done on run, and, yep, that was me Tuesdayimage. Though should add I was running on cyclepath next to dual carriageway, rather than  on dual carriageway!! Did J'town to Bancyfelin and back for a change of scenery. Did similar run on Weds, but the 'B' road after the cyclepath is a little hairy (or at least the number of people who treat the speed limit as a suggestion make it so!). It was ok, but didn't really relax for that part!! Was it you who beeped your horn at me? I always found Mapmyrun to be accurate.
  • Ill join this challenge, I've only just started running and I have a few 10k's lined up, still can't run the whole 10k but I ran/walked it last week with a time of 1hr 14mins, if I can run the 3rd that I walked I recon ill be close to the hour.
  • Just calling in ... was going to do my 4 mile run tonight, but OH has been unable to get my daughter to run with her at all (they have a 5k fun run in Hyde Park on 6th Sep) so wanted to come out ... we did the run/walk thing ... 4kms all together, with a couple of 7.5 min runs in it ... so we did jog much of it I guess, which was good for her.

So that brings AAA to 15.47/50

Off for a couple of days - anniversary weekend - so no run till Sunday.

Have a good one, all !

• Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

Welcome to stephatj - my ankles (and knees and  back and hips!image) hurt when I started last October. I bought some decent running shoes which helped a great deal. It's definately worth the investment if you can -- a false economy to do shoes on the cheap (unless you get good ones at a bargain of course). 

Welcome tristarter - it looks like you'll break the 1hr in no time once you feel able to run the full 10k. don't rush it though, take it steady so you don;t get an injury.

Well done FP on your run this morning. image

JD 6.03 pace! image 

The oldest? I'm a shade older than BB at 44 (just).

• Happy Anniversary BB!!!

Jason, that B road down to Bancyfelin is the road i run on when i want to be safer than where i live!!!  My 8 miler on Sunday i think is going to be johnstown to bancyfelin and back!

AAA 32.7 / 75

• Oh no I am older than you Ado!!!
  • Ado - yeah I recon ill break the 1hr if I keep practicing, I was planning to run tonight but I didn't get home from work till late and it would have been dark when I finished so I decided a cycle would be better.

Jason and Andrea - are you from carmarthen? I'm not far from there, I work in whitland but I live near the preselis so I have them to contend with on my runs
  • well done you Andrea on doing your run this morning, at least it's over and done with.  Went out this afternoon only for a 5k as I wanted to make sure my ankles didn't kick in and they didn't, so hopefully tying my shoe laces differently is the trick!!!!!

Would love to run longer runs without stopping, hopefully I will get there one day (sooner rather than laterimage)  I will be going out again on sunday and try and run 6 miles, not too worried about the time at the moment as I would just like to get used to the distance!

Happy anniversary BB, have a lovely weekend

Hi Ado, do you get any sort of pains now or have you managed to break that barrier?image

Tristarter, I'm the same as you can't quite make myself run the whole 6 miles, not sure if it's boredom as well, however, I'm sure the longer we keep at it we're bound to get there.

• Hi stephatj, I've only just started running, I used to run a mile at a time but its only lately I've found out what I was doing wrong with my technique and I've been able to run longer distances, my last run I did 2 miles run then split the last 4 miles into short walks and longer runs, I don't get bored while running its just getting out there and starting, once I start I get into the groove.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Happy Anniversary, BB!

Steph - think I said 6.33, can't do 6.03 for very long at all!! image Didn't manage 6.33 as it happens, but hilly ( my excuse and sticking to it!!) 6.36, so happy enoughimage. Also decided to extend run a bit from 8m to nearly 11m to take me over ton for the month markimage AAA now 101/230.image

Andrea, think if you measure that route it will be longer than your planned 8. Johnstown petrol station to phonebox past F& Hounds and back is a tad over 10m. Start and finish at Travellers' rest, maybe?? OK parking too.

Hi Tri and welcome. Yeah, I'm fairly close to Carmarthen and run for TROTs in St Clears. We meet in the Leisure Centre every Thursday at 7pm if you're interested. All ages and abilities welcome and catered for!! Think if I were you and run/ walking 10k in 1:14, I'd try to slow my running pace down and concentrate on running the full distance - you'd probably find that this would take you closer to the 1 hour markimage

• Thank you for the congrats people - not quite made it to 22 yrs of marriage yet - though only 24 hrs to go! And to complete the West Wales domination of this page, tri, I was brought up in Whitland ...

Nice to see another greybeard in here ado too! And steph and tri, I'm sure you'll make it to 6 miles without stopping before you know it. you're doing the right thing as I'm sure you know, building up slowly. 

• Just thought I would pop in and say hi.  I have managed to do sub 60 10k a couple of years ago with a run/walk strategy.  So don't knock it.  You really don't have to run the whole way.  Build slowly, and add speed sessions, walk before you need to not when you have to makes a lot of difference.

I am hoping to get back sub 60 when I do some more run training ready for both Cardiff half and next years VLM.

Oh and I am nearly 45 image

• Jason - I've been posting on a triathlon forum and they suggested getting a heart rate monitor to help controll my pace, I do often find myself speeding up and have to slow down. Are you doing to st clears 10k, I've got the entry form but haven't sent it off yet, dunno if it'll be too late now.
  • Lets hope so BB,

Tri I've got a heart rate monitor, as I'm the same can go off far too quickly and have to keep telling myself to take it steady,  (it also depends on the type of music I'm listening to at the timeimage)

Thanks IR, yes I agree stop before you need to, would be nice to go the whole distance though without having to stop, but like you say slow and steady (will hopefully one day win the race)