20 Races to do before you die

2»

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

SMM - there's a publication (and website) for races (normal and otherwise) in France - Le Biped

The book is easier to just flick through if you're just browsing, but if you know which month, or which department, you're intersted in, the website can be useful.

The ability to read a bit of French helps.

Other than that, I mostly find out about different events and races on here!

• Apparently the bloke who wrote the first "..before you die" book has, er, died (linkey here).

I wonder how many of the 100 things he actually managed to get done?

• Since you're unlikely to do much at all after you die, it's a slightly pointless suffix to use in an article.

I don't want to be having sex in any places at all once I'm a stiff.

• Broadsword Calling Danny Boy wrote (see)

Since you're unlikely to do much at all after you die, it's a slightly pointless suffix to use in an article.

I don't want to be having sex in any places at all once I'm a stiff.

Fair point, but we could cart you round a few marathons in a wheelbarrow.  It'd be for charidee n' all....
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    I had to read your last sentence very carefully, BCDB!  image
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I wonder how much you would need if you wanted to compete in all of those. I know the North pole one is pretty pricey, imagine the ice marathon isnt cheap......MdS isnt cheap, neither is the Everest marathon (although you do get a long trekking holiday too!)

• What about some lesser known ones such as The Dew Pond Run on Ascension Island  - have done it 3 times but then again I lived there for 2 years...........

• Hi There are some really good lesser know ones. Check Bayshore Marathon, Michigan USA done it last year. Wonderful scenery and stopped in Traverse City great place and very friendly. Google Bayshore Marathon.
  • Wow that is a list of great races! May I be so frank and ad one witch would certainly be among the top races: www.ms2s.org a 100 Km ultra or 42 marathon in Mongolia at the lake Toilogt.
  • 4 done so far.

Bit surprised that Runners World could not be more imaginative than to include Marathon des Sables when there are much better ones out there such as Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon, Atacama and loads loads more.

Totally agree with Comrades and Two Oceans  awesome events and Boston has a special place being the oldest city marathon.

My list just keeps getting longer so I will need to live and run well into my hundreds.

• Have to say I did the City to Surf in Sydney this summer - great 'race' and not quite 9 miles. Very fun for a plodder like me as it's quite the event, loads of people walk it (and only intend to walk it) kids, strollers, everything. For once I wasn't in the last couple of hundred runners, there were thousands behind me. And yes, have done one marathon and don't think I'll be doing another, knees don't like it much. So a shame about the lack of shorter races.
  • Love to do all 20  but my wife and Bank Manager may have other ideas    plus how can you justify flying miles to run a 10k    plenty at home

Hobbler

• Badwater - How has this been omitted?

Granted it's hardly a marathon but still... 

• Corky2Corky2 ✭✭✭

I'm running the Ethiopian 10km in November but only because I'm out there anyway.

• They should change the name of the Magazine from "Runners World" to "Marathon World".

Sometimes the emphasis on Marathons  and on frankly stupid running stunts (Antarctic Marathon? Really?)  verges in the embarrasing.

• At the moment I can't go all over the world to race, as much as I would love to, has anybody got any suggestions for top 10 UK races?

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    number 1 would have to be Chester marathon

Personal chose for good races

London marafun

Buxton half marafun

White peak marafun

Sheffield half marafun

Liverpool half marafun (hopefully a full next year)

Nottingham marafun

Reading half marafun

These are all off the top off my head and bet I've forgotten a really good one.

• I ran the marathon du Medoc last year when the theme where superheroes -it was great fun.

I stayed with the inhabitant as I could not find any hotel; she asked me to pay upfront a little sum to book a bed for two people (as I was with my boyfriend at the time it was fine) at 25 euros per night and person. I know she is looking to help some marathoners again this year and will not mind if I give her email address here.

geraldine_jeseck@hotmail.com

She may be able to help more than 2 people as she also had a spare camping bed when I was around. My advice is see with her. He English is very good by the way.

Good luck and surely you'll enjoy your time - this year's theme is Animals!

• Amazing list of races - I've only done 3 - must up my game!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me thinking it, but if you went to some of those amazing places, would you want to be obliterating yourself doing a marathon image
  • runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

I see your point Stevie but for me the marathon has to be worth running, i.e. iconic or scenic and I would certainly put some on the list in that category.  There aren't that many in the UK that I would get out of bed for but Loch Ness would be one and is on my list.  My only other reason for running a marathon is if it's my local race so I've run Edinburgh and will be running Abingdon In October.  Following that logic I'll probably run MK if I can't get into VLM next year. 

With regards the list itself I intend to run VLM, Berlin, NY, Chicago and 2 Oceans over the next 10 years health and money permitting and will combine them with holidays. 

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Blackpools old marathon route from the middlewalk north then south to st annes and back north to Bispham and then back to finish
  • Stevie G

That depends whether you want a holiday, or the holiday of a lifetime. 

Many of the 2011 Comrades crew went on safari, or went trekking in the Drakensberg Mountains after the race.  None of them regretted doing the race and most of them will be back next year. 

Basing a holiday around a race gives it greater purpose, and much greater sense of self fulfillment. 

• Quick point on the Athens Marathon - poor old Phidippides did not run 26.2 miles, although that is the distance from Athens to the city Marathon.  He actually ran all the way to Sparta to ask Spartans for help fighting the Persians, to which they said know, so he ran all the way back, told the general's Sparta were not going to help and then died on the spot after about 180 miles within 2 days. - which is also a race held every year also...

• A technical point, not worth killing yourself for.

Agreed, like all list it's subjective. Agreed it's marathon focused. Disagree, Runners World (magazine) isn't marathon focussed, it's plodder mass participation jog around the block focussed. This forum does rather tend to be marathon focussed. When was the last time you read anything sprint specific?

Of the races I've done, lifetime memory races include:
    -London Marathon
    -Race The Train. - Now that's a proper runner's event.