Cyclists' rant thread

Comments

• Witnesses to accidents are terribly unreliable.

Firstly, most don't actaully see anything until they hear the thud, and secondly they assume that the driver/rider must have been going too fast.

Children in places where there may be vehicles or cycles should be firmly under the control of an adult - they have a tendency to rush off across roads.

I knocked down a little boy when I was riding a motorbike - he looked the other way, then ran into the road in front of me.  His family all said I was going too fast, but I had only just come around a very sharp bend and was doing no more than 20mph at the most.

The police decided that I was not at fault, fortunately.

• I did impale a lad on my front wheel once - he ran out into the road and managed to get a leg either side of my wheel. Luckily I braked in time to stop it getting any nastier. No harm done apart from shock - for both of us !

Couldnt do that again if I tried.
  • agree with pretty much everything said above.

But I think it just shows that these f**kin waste of time cycle lanes they put on pavements are just bloody dangerous. It dosen't matter if there is a solid white between the cyclist bit of the pavement and the pedestrian. If they are going to do cycle lanes do like they do in holland and have little kerbs either side and proper lanes for bikes and bikes only.

• Yeah - the pavement cycle lanes are rubbish arent they. A bit of white paint just makes things worse. I'm all for them when they're on the road though - that does seem to make things better round here. Apart from gits parking over them that is.
  • yeah they're silly, just making it look like cyclists are fast moving peds.  silly.
  • I forsee problems with that too though Calf.  What happens if a scrawny school child (as I saw this morning) is walking in the cycle lane part of the pavement.  The cyclist coming along in the cycle lane rings his bell but the child has earphones in and doesn't hear, so the cyclist (safely but not happily) moves over onto the pedestrian side of the pavement.  If there was a kerb, he would have had to stop.
  • Sorry If I caused offence with my choice of adjective Debbo , I was just ranting after all , the basic point if that your assumption is that all drivers are half wits you may just have the assertive / defensive positioning for survival about right.

You gonna get any quicker for IMCH image

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    lol eccentric, you didn't cause offence at all, I was just showing off about my extensive knowledge of cretinism ; - )

now, you could offend me though, suggesting I need to get quicker for IMCH! the answer is, yes, of course I hope to, as I'll be aiming to beat you!
  • Cycle lanes are designed to be safe  up to 10 miles an hour.  Not much use for most of us.

There's a cycle lane most of the way back from the station for me.  It's a segregated path and in 1.7 miles there are 23 crossings where as a cyclist I would have to give way added to the danger of traffic coming from 4 directions at each.  Unsurprisingly I never use it.

The most brilliant path I have seen is by  saddlers wells which is all of 1.5 m long.  I really must take a photo and send it to the Warrington cycle campaign

• rant about fast cars careering round country lanes forcing me into the hedge (which was like hitting a wall) and bouncing off across the road.....the driver never stopped and I was left with damaged chainset, brakes, wheel, nerves frayed and 7 miles from home!!! 2 weeks ago, hmmmm!

Made me feel though very lucky that it wasn't worse.

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    Tom Tom T. Barrow wrote (see)
    This morning driving to work i was stuck behind a cyclist who insisted on cycling a good three feet from the curb for no reason meaning no one could over take hims as there was traffic coming the otherway.

One reason for doing this is to stop drivers overtaking when there isn't room to do so safely.  Traffic coming the other way would suggest that you were intending to overtake by squeezing past in the same lane, which unless you happen to be on a road with very wide lanes is way too close.   

This was a nice wide section of road, enough space to pass a stopped bus. He was skipping through the reds and taking to the pavement without as much as a second look. The guy was just a toss-bag.
  • Oh yeah - he was a tosser.
  • Thread's moved on but  I'm pretty certain it's not illegal to filter on the left of slow moving traffic - haven't checked but I'm sure I've seen this discussed on BikeRadar and there are normally people on there who make a point of knowing everything to do with cycling and the law and discussing it at length. 

• Yeah - I'm with you there pops. Motorists do it too dont they - on motorways with congestion and dual carriageways with lights.
  • Popsider - not that I'm a road traffic geek or anything, but I seem to recall a figure of 5mph or less defining slow moving traffic within which two wheeled vehicles are allowed to legally filter...
  • Although don't people like Bike Right say that you shouldn't (waits for popsider to put her right)
  • it's probably just contary to the highway code.  which doesn't make it illegal.  just not best practice.
  • The thing abouit that video on the prom is the police say that he might have been going too fast.

The bloke stopped, tried to help and was told to go away.....................why is it then on Crimestoppers to try and find him now.................It seems a bit strong to be on a crimestoppers video appeal just because he might have been going too fast......................from the look of it he didn't have a chance to stop and surely they can tell from the video exactly how fast he was going with modern techknoweldgy

• From page 1 of this thread:

blimeythatsbendy wrote (see)

Dunno if it is illegal Mr W. Highway code s163 :

stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
  • Does seem a bit over the top doesnt it ? The kid ran out in front of him - you can see that on the video. Doubtless you could calculate his speed with a recreation - probably on the next Crimewatch. But as its not compulsory to have a computer on the bike - he wouldnt know quite how fast he was going would he ?

I think you can be done for 'riding furiously' - but I think he's learnt his lesson. Maybe the parents will have learnt not to let a toddler loose on a bike path ?
  • Checked it and according to Howard Peel - who I'd back against anyone to be right! - it's legal - so it's legal.   However that doesn't mean the cyclist can proceed in any fashion and claim it was the motorist's fault if someone pulls across them and knocks them off.     So basically what JD says - it's legal but you do it at your own risk - which seems fair to me.  
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    as far as I'm concerned, the less toddlers there are littering the world the better

noisy smelly things, nearly as bad as dogs ; - )
  • *gets out glad hand*

du du du

another one bites the dust......

no?

just me then

*puts glad hand away*

• Much of  bile directed at cyclists, especially in London, my city of choice, is based on the perception of who they are. They are seen as being mostly white, middle class, and people who cycle instead of drive as a way of signalling their commitment to the use of less fossil fuels and a more green lifestyle. They are seen as superior and self-righteous in their behaviour. As someone who cycles on occasion, that perception is more right than wrong.
  • really?

nice generalisation and a very poor troll indeed - what the hell has class and race got to do with it - i cycle to work as it cost me less money and helps me keep in shape, not to save the world. 

luckily i make sure i don't confirm to cycling stereotypes by owning a heavily polluting car and using it frequently image

• Pain is inevitable suffering is optional wrote (see)
    Much of  bile directed at cyclists, especially in London, my city of choice, is based on the perception of who they are. They are seen as being mostly white, middle class, and people who cycle instead of drive as a way of signalling their commitment to the use of less fossil fuels and a more green lifestyle. They are seen as superior and self-righteous in their behaviour. As someone who cycles on occasion, that perception is more right than wrong.

The only part of that 'perception' that you can verify by looking at them is whether they're white or not.  Riding assertively is recommended by all good cycling guides and shouldn't be mistaken for being superior or self-righteous.  Cowering in the gutter is more likely to end in an accident.

As for a commitment to using less fossil fuels, well riding to work saves me money for sure, but that's just so that I can buy more bikes... image

• Ben (the troll) is a caravan owner if you look at his blog.  No further comment required.
  • no he's not gumps - the caravan owner is TobyH who posted in one of Ben's threads...........doesn't stop Ben making twat comments though

remind me - why did I have to check about the 'van?? image

I cycle a) because I enjoy it, b) I compete in cycling events, c) I use it to commute to the orofice from time to time, d) it helps offset my carbon footprint, and e) it's fun pissing drivers off....

• Calf wrote (see)
    But I think it just shows that these f**kin waste of time cycle lanes they put on pavements are just bloody dangerous. It dosen't matter if there is a solid white between the cyclist bit of the pavement and the pedestrian. 
    I fully agree! There's a Foot/cyclepath which I use to frequent on my way to/from work, it's next to a busy road, the bike half being nearest to the road. I was going along the path approaching a couple of kids who where mucking around on the footpath side. Without looking one of them came onto the bike side of the path forcing me to slam the anchors on. I just about came to a stop before making contact with him & almost fell off my bike into the path of oncoming trafffic on the road. I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't been able to keep my balance, the cars on the road were traveling at a fair rate of knots & would have probably killed me!