Helsby Half Mara

Comments

• Anybody got a spare number, I looked last monday and there were places, I tried to apply tuesday and it had all sold out, I'll pay full value and collect from the Chester area. thanks
  • OK quick question,

My running bud was planning on applying for this race and went to do it today, and they've closed applications, probably because they've got the full quota of entries.

A bit cheeky, but he still fancies running with me and turning up on the day, now i know its wrong because we've all paid our entry fee's etc, and because of that we'll have official timing, and a t-shirt and medal at the end.

But would he be stopped from running the race himself?

• It's all on public roads so I cannot see how they can stop him. As long as he doesn't want water at the station

R
  • No he's like a camel so he'll be fine image i'll tell him to bring his own water.

I didnt think there would be an issue to be honest. i mean i know its a little cheeky, but at the end of the day its a run he was planning on doing, he just didnt get signed up in time.

• Just thought id join in........Ill be there for the 1st time in Helsby
  • Jay. I personally think it's wrong for your mate to run in an organised race without having paid the entry fee. If we all did that there wouldn't be any organised races. He couldn't be stopped from running but it is not in the spirit of the running community.
  • I doubt that they would spot him starting off - but they would definitely suss him out if he crosses the finishing line. Its not the done thing.
  • Well i cant really tell him he cant do it. i mean he tried to enter, OK so he left it late, i know its not the done thing. But hey if he wants to run the half marathon then why not. i'm sure if there was a donation that could be made he would do.
  • race page

Jay the website today says there are still online entries available, even though it said full last time I looked.

On that page linked above there is a hotline phone number to ring between 7 and 10.  

As for running it unofficially, it's a bit of a snook at the runners who have entered on time and commited to the rules and the structure of the race.  It's an official event, taken seriously by most of the runners in it at whatever level they are competing at, and it should be treated as such.

Hopefully he can get a proper entry and add to the race. 

• Jay - there are about 60,000 people who did not get a place for FLM, does your mate think they should just turn up on the morning and run!!. Or turn up at an ironman event with his wetsuit and bike and join in?

There is a reason why the races are limited to specific numbers, what happens if he gets injured or slips/trips someone else up causing serious injury, the organisers insurance does not cover them, they get sued and all members of the organising club are then liable due to the fault of someone who could not be arsed to enter in time!!

This seriously annoys me, there are numerous races throughout the country that are struggling due to people not entering or showing interest, if you want to enter a race find out when entries open and get entered asap.

• He might try turning up on the day on the off chance that someone has a spare number?
  • JPenno. Well said. Jay - does that answer your question!!
  • Wow didnt think you guys would take it so personally.

I asked a question thats all, its not me who is turning up without a number.

jesus such hostility.

Also comparing the FLM to the Helsby Half... thats a bit of a stretch isnt it

• I take it you will advise your mate not to run without a number then! There are plenty of other halves in the Noth West.
  • i'll advise him, but ultimately at the end of the day its his decision.

i'm not his keeper. i've told him to ring the number and see what happens.

• JPenno wrote (se)

Jay - there are about 60,000 people who did not get a place for FLM, does your mate think they should just turn up on the morning and run!!. Or turn up at an ironman event with his wetsuit and bike and join in?

There is a reason why the races are limited to specific numbers, what happens if he gets injured or slips/trips someone else up causing serious injury, the organisers insurance does not cover them, they get sued and all members of the organising club are then liable due to the fault of someone who could not be arsed to enter in time!!

This seriously annoys me, there are numerous races throughout the country that are struggling due to people not entering or showing interest, if you want to enter a race find out when entries open and get entered asap.

My friend and I were 2 of the 60,000 who didnt get a place for the FLM. But London is a little futher away than Helsby, plus there is a slight difference between the limit of runners in the FLM and this half marathon in Helsby.

Oh and as for could not be arsed, how about he had personal issues and entering the race was not at the top of his agenda at the time, think about that.

You know its no wonder why so many new forumites dont hang around for long if this is the response people get.

Sorry for 'seriously annoying' you

• I'm pretty sure you'd get the same response but worse on other websites. Ask on a movie forum if its ok if your mate can sneak in with you to see the latest release cos he didnt get round to buying his ticket.

Or on a motoring forum - ask the best way to avoid buying a road tax licence.

OK - so he didnt get his entry in in time - so why should he think he can run the race that a lot of people put their own time and effort into making as good and as safe as possible ? This is a club event - its not a faceless conglomerate out to milk the runner.

Helsby is very crowded at the beginning - if any Tom Dick or Harry wants to join in - then there will be accidents and repercussions.

I dont think anyone has been too harsh or nasty - chill out a bit ?
  • Well again there are differences in your argument. Road Tax pays for the roads surfaces etc, and cinema again is a closed off building therefore you have to pay for entry.

Helsby is run on public roads etc so really he's entitled to run along them roads if he chooses.

i mean a 10k in sefton park, would you stop the usual sunday morning joggers for running round the park just because they didnt have a number on???

JPennos response was a little barbed with his  wording of his comment, i mean you'd think it was affecting him personally.

I understand your frustrations honestly i do, i asked a question thats all, i've got an entry like i said earlier, i dont need the lecture thank you very much

• Perhaps if you pass on the feelings here to your pal - he'll realise the error of his ways ?

You could try the Road Tax thing if you want - and you could try that in London 2012 too and see how far you get.

Basically - just because you can do something - doesnt mean that you should ?

If he was the organiser - how would he feel ?
  • so you're saying that because he pays his road tax he's entitled to enter the 2012 olympics??? i'm sorry thats just silly, i mean thats the olympics and a full marathon nonetheless

if he was the organiser he'd have his place in the race so he would be happy. surely thats one of the perks to organising the event.

Listen i've tried to remain pretty none argumentative while i've been on the forums and bitten my tongue a few times at a few comments But this all seems a little blown out of proportion.

If you people want to treat me asking if a friend can turn up and run on the day as a personal attack then so be it.

He's emailed the organisers, and is awaiting a response.

I mean dont you think i feel a little cheesed off as well, i've paid like the rest of you. 

• I sent my entry on the 18th Nov by post and it was returned to me over two weeks later saying I had missed out, even though an e-mail was sent to one of our club members on the 20th saying that there was 200 places left!  Not happy, I think they should keep a number of postal entries open for those that can't enter on line.

But never mind the Village Bakery Half in Wrexham on 15/02/09 is better for PBs.

http://wrexhamroadrunners.org.uk/index.htm

• Well my friend emailed them and got told that all entries had been taken, though he was told that if he was to turn up on the day there might be vacated race numbers available.
  • perhaps not too surprising that VB half is so PB friendly - pancake flat, plus, race that one wearing a Garmin and see if it registers anything in excess of about 12.95 miles when you cross the finish line.....

• btw looking at the online list of entries here it currently mentions there are 1967 entrants - a week or so ago it said 1970 - so in principle at least, it suggests there must be a few (not many) race numbers vacated already.
  • well he had the email response at the beginning of the week and it says on the fabian site that entries online are closed, so god knows whats going on really.

I think i might get him to email them again and ask for a little more of an explanation regarding the situation as like you said there is another 30 people who could get in.

• Mike, mine read 13.07 at Wrexham this year!
  • Road Tax pays for the roads surfaces  You driven round Helsby recently ????
  • done this race a few times in the past and really enjoyed it. course looks slightly different from what I remember, although it is a few years since I last did it. Had planned to do it again in 2009, but planning and actually doing something about it got separated somewhere along the way.

Good luck to everyone who did get in. Tough luck to all the others like me, who will be looking elsewhere - maybe I'll try Blackpool or Wrexham, or maybe leave it until Liverpool, although I didn't want to leave it quite so late

• Running4Rwanda.com, i have entered this race but now i've changed my mind and no longer will be running it, i dont think we can get a refund or what have you, so if you wish you may have my stuff when it comes through the post.

let me know if you're interested, i dont think this is against any rules.. or is it?

• it probably is, but I won't tell anyone, if you don't image