What weather will put you off training?

2»

Comments

• Try + 45C which it can often be here by 0800 in the summer!
  • DD. 45!! I'll take snow and ice any day. Nothing like crisp fresh air. Although -50s probably a bit too extreme for me - now where's the treaddie. (Slinks away feeling inadequate.)
  • AreThoseMyFeet - I can vouch for that. I was in Winnipeg in 1997/8 for 4 weeks over Christmas and New Year and I couldn't believe it - ludicrous. The friends I stayed with plugged their cars into heaters to stop the oil freezing (I think) and started the car with a key fob from inside the house to warm it up.

Also lived in Chicoutimi, Quebec for 6 months in 1990/1991 - not much warmer there and much more snow - I couldn't believe it. Those were my student days though so only running I did then was between pubsimage.

• Oh yeah, all the parking lots have rows of plug sockets for the cars, and remote starters are very popular. I don't drive though, so it's the heated bus shelters that I'm thankful for.

However, I'd take stupid minus numbers over stupid plus numbers any day of the week.

• + 45C / - 50C that is why treadmills were invented. Even after 10 years in the Gulf I will take cold over hot, you can always put more layers on, the alternative doesn't work.
  • I lived in Iceland for three years and ran pretty much every day - below -16 starts to hurt your face but ski masks are wonderful things.  The only thing that really stopped you running was 'the thaw' - 4" thick ice with water running over it - impossible to stand up!   Or so I thought until I discovered Manbrottfor (not sure what they're called in English - like mini crampons for normal shoes).  But with decent clothes you can run in pretty much anything.  Although not very quickly.  Quite honestly, the weather in the UK is never bad enough to stop someone with the right clothes and mindset running
  • Personally, I'd call those gadgets for running on ice ice cleats. The stretch-over types are sold in ordinary shoe-shops here in Norway. They help prevent people breaking hips in the winter. It's been minus here for a few days so I've just been getting used to my Ice Bugs again, training for a marathon next March. My other half uses ASICS Arctics. The main differences are that the Ice Bugs protrude whereas the ASICS are protected by the tread and are replaceable.

Anyway, on the original topic, I agree that wind and driving rain, or a sudden icy wet shower are the worst.

• About an hour before I was due to out for a 5 mile run, there was snow, hail and torrential downpours, so I guess that put me off slightly!!
  • AreThoseMyFeet - think I'm going to print out your post and pin it above my bed for inspiration / shaming me on those extra cold mornings! -35C?!! I was whinging this morning because it was about 8C and slightly damp....