TRI-ACTIVE Oulton Park Half-Marathon 2009

Hi there, been looking at this one got a full marathon to run in April and was thinking this might be a good race as a warm up to it.

Anyone done it in the past shed any light on it, like what its like on the day etc.

Comments

• Yep I've just had the same idea. I'm doing a marathon in April (first one ever). Have done a half Marathon in Sept and need to do another before April. Hopefully someone will tell us both what this course is like - I don't like too many hills!!!! 

• yeah i think its also 3 laps, i think that might get a little boring.

I'm gutted as the Liverpool half is a week or 2 before the actual full marathon that i'm doing i think that might be a little too close.

• The race is on a race track so is an even fast surface but there are a couple of undulations at the back of the course, its a good test for those doing marathons in April/May though
  • Hi

Did this one last year as my first half.  It was the first time it had been held there and so organisation was a little lacking but all things that can be improved on.  I am going to do it again this year.  The course is partly on the race track and so there is a lot of camber on the corners and several uphills that sap the life out of you.  Unlike the description there was only water station on thefinish / start line, that you pass twice.

The socks weren't much cop and no medal etc but if you are doing it for the love of it...not a big issue.

It was my first and the weather was awful so I have to say I was a bit alone on the day near the back of the field so take this into consideration when reading my comments!!! I finished in 2:14 about 20 in from the last runner.

The course is good for spectators though. You run the track and a route inside the "circle" so your spectators can cross the inside of the track and support you at several points all the way round. 

The race track itself is amazing. I haven't looked at one the same since!!

Was disappointed at the time  but willing to try again!!

Happy new Year to you all 

• I did this last year and it was not the best organised or the most generous race, BUT, it was the first running and the venue could be give such a fantastic atmosphere that i think I'll give them another go.

Three laps mainly on the track but some multiterrain in the in field, there's a risk of slower runners being lapped which can be a little demoralising and last year some entrants got lost in the infield maze when the marshals wandered off toward the end. It's not as flat as you might expect either, be prepared.

Really good for spectators so take the family and let's hope they get their act together this year.

• I have just entered this as a pre-London warm-up. I was looking at Liverpool, but like Jay, have decided it's a bit too close. Should be good for the family to come and watch me, rather than seeing me off and waiting around for an hour and a half til I re-appear.
  • I ran in this event last year as a back runner, found it quite steep in places so not totally flat and off the race track there were muddy tractor ruts and stone filled farm tracks to negotiate so watch your ankles. I have run two marathons (Paris and Berlin) since then. Unfortunately this was not my favourite half-marathon I entered in preparation. I prefer the larger events, because when you recognise people lapping you it can sap your energy. Plus points are there are some great scenery and it must be fantastic to go round the banked corners on a motorbike!
  • I normally do Wilmslow as my March Half Marathon, but I got fed up with the crowds and decided to give this one a try instead.
  • sioUxsioUx ✭✭✭
    Thinking of this as I've missed out on Wrexham. Has anyone done both- how does this compare for Pb potential?
  • Hello

Just signed up for this, moment of maddness. I'm not very fast does anyone know what time the last one home got last year?

Also should I wear my road runners or my trails? I do like the sound of mud and hills. Does sound like a trail job to me.

• Double O

The last runner did 2:38 last year, so hope this isok for you. On the shoes issue, I would go with road shoes. It looks like most of the race is on the track, with just a short section on the infield

• Thanks Baz! I should be coming in 10mins before the last runner then, I hope.
  • Guys,

Ran my 2nd Half marathon here last year. Have run a lot more since. As others have said last year organistation was a bit poor. Also think entry fee and prizes etc were not up to scratch - its run by an events comapny so not a runners race so to speak .The biggest gripe i had was that there was no distance markers - they said something about not being allowed to do so - Hope this year is better. Undulating course and a section is run on gravel. Great for family to watch though.

Doubt its a PB course but still an experience to run on a racing track.

Dont think I would run it again .

Ps Get there early.

Paul. 

• Enjoyed the race today despite the wind and horizontal hailstones.  Quite a challenging course due to the number of ups and downs and turns. Probably only about 300-400 runners today. The course could cope with a lot more than that.
  • anyone know where the results & photos will be posted?

i could've done without the horizontal hail on my first half but it was fun nonetheless image

• I enjoyed this race, could do with finding out where the photos & official times will be. I did a PB despite hills, hail and strong winds.

The track is lovely and wide, so nobody is ever in your way really. The freebies in the end are poor, but the socks were ok and I got a nice fruit salad!

If the organisation was bad last year, then they've definately improved because it was spot on from start to finish. Mile markers were a bit bizarre, but there was a 5KM race before hand which I suppose was the reason for the KM markers.

However, good, enjoyable race JUST NEED PHOTO & RESULTS LINK PLEASE!!

• I ran this yesterday through the gales and horizontal hail.

The course itself is full of akward cambers, sharp inclines, badly rutted grass, and pot-holed dirt tracks and to make it worse my Garmin (which measured the Helsby half marathon to within a few feet) only measured 12.99miles for this race.

The numbers were poor and the support incredibly sparse.  Make this a 10k and keep it on the race course and it could be brilliant.  As for a half marathon, very poor indeed.  Of the 6 i've run, this is definitely the worst.  (The best is either Liverpool or Helsby)

• I dont think you can complain of an accuracy level of 0.8% really ?

GPS is not 100% accurate.
  • I agree that a less than 1% accuracy rate is pretty decent and this maybe expeined by not follwing the proper course and taking a "racing line", i only mentioed it because i ran the Helsby Half Marathon in January and it was "correct" to with 20 feet.
  • i thought the event was good(apart from the weather).Running on the track i thought was great, with plenty of room.My watch was slighly short 50m but you should expect that.Results would be good though
  • If the weather had been better, it would have been a good race, although the tight turns in & out of the rally track section was a bit difficult. Was quite unusual to be lapping people as well, but imagine it could be very discouraging for those being lapped.

I still managed to get under the 90 minutes, which was the plan, pre-London, so very happy.

• You must of lapped me! It wasn't discouraging at all in fact it was quite nice to see you guys wizzing past. It was my first half so it was about getting round and now I know I can push a bit harded next time I run a half. My OH and I raced in with lots of people cheering which was really nice because we were one of the last people in.
  • My third half-marathon and have got quicker each time, despite the weather and the gravel parts. Down to 1:51:48. Great atmosphere. Did the duathlon here last year. Great course.
  • Have to completely disagree with anyone that says this is a great course.  Running on the actual track itself is good and i have no complaints, but the infield section is absolutley awful and downright dangerous in parts.

You won't catch me running this joke of a half marathon ever again.