SiS Gels in hand luggage on plane

Anyone know if SiS gels are hand luggage friendly. At 65ml they're less than the 100ml max for liquids gels. As I'll be taking 6 with me to Rotterdam next month, am I likely to get any grief taking them in my hand luggage? I'm only planning on taking one small bag.

Cheers

Comments

• should be ok if they fit into the plastic zippy bag, just don't take anything else to be safe (so buy toothpaste etc after you pass through security)
  • think you should be ok- 100ml is the max per container, so just make sure you stick them in a clear plastic bag and put it through the x ray machiene... ive taken lots of different shampoos and makeup gels etc at once, and as long as theyre all under 100ml and in a clear plastic bag, its never been a problem

good luck in Rotterdam

• JjJj ✭✭✭

[blink]

that man's hidin' behind Doozer...

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

My OH took loads on a plane to Nice last year - no problem as long as they're in the right size plastic bag.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    What is the size of plastic bag please?  Does it vary between airports?
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

There is a standard size, but I can't remember what it is - have a look on the BAA wesbite.

I was told my bag was the wrong size (too big) and when I asked what difference it makes I was told that it's to do with testing the air within the bag for traces of explosives.

Tescos make a re-sealable bag in two sizes - the smaller one is the right size.  If you can get them,

• I've looked into this - 20cm x 20cm (about 8 inches) seem to be the "right" size. Ziplock bag. That reminds me, I have to add "get bags" to my list of things still to do!

Thanks for asking Steve, I've been worrying about this one myself. Still hoping there will be stalls at the expo, but I want to take my own just in case.....

• You can usually buy the bags at airports anyway.  I forgot recently and had to use the machine which gave me 5 for £1 which was not too bad (though would have been a lot cheaper if I had remembered earlier).

There will be gels at the expo - loads of stalls for anything you might need

• Whenever I fly they hand the bags out I think ?
  • sheddysheddy ✭✭✭

Remember it's only a restriction on hand luggage too, so if you can cram all your gels, toothpaste etc. into your main luggage then you'll be fine. Obviously this does mean you won't be able to get a quick energy boost or clean your teeth while on the plane tho.

EDIT: and yeah, when I flew a couple of weeks back they did hand out the plastic bags for free.

• Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    On a similar note - can anyone clarify if I can take SIS electrolyte drink powder into Australia. I know they don't allow food products into the country (I once got hauled over by the sniffing dog at Melbourne airport for having the apple that was given to me as part of the plane meal!), But I'm not sure whether powdered drink constitutes as a food product...

I would normally not carry it and rely on Powerade but I am going from there to Malaysia where such products are harder to get hold of and electrolyte drink is very necessary!

• I was fine getting into australia with tea ags and a jar of marmite (and I went up to the something to declare bit to check too), so guessing dried powder would be ok. Can you ask the airline maybe?
  • Gels. Yikes, had totally forgotten gels in my packing plans! Had decided to carry my race kit in my hand luggage (just in case) and had my contact lens fluid sorted but gels hadn't occurred to me. Thanks for reminding me!!!
  • I managed to get them through by putting the contents in a condom, swallowing said condom and whincing ever so slightly when they came out the other side.

I normally have a mule for trafficing my SIS gels.

• Ok , well looks like I should be ok then. Else there's Boots for condoms!
  • If you're flying from Luton they don't give out the bags for free - it's £1 for 4, seemingly
  • flying is just getting to be a major obstacle course.  Chek-in luggage from UK  (new rules)  definite charges for over 20Kg  and not just that but you must re-pack anything over 20 Kg into another bag and pay.

Then they've started those fast-tracks to security - so if you pay £3 or whatever you jump the queue - for everyone else you just get set back and sweat in case you miss boarding.  They are having to offload so many bags. You miss your flight.

Fliyng is getting to be more hassle and more money-making.

At the moment  I advise you take clothes with you you can ditch - keep the weight down to allow for souvenirs / new purchases.  And after check-in get straight to security - don't linger at costa lot costa coffee.  The queues are slower and bigger.

Overseas, you will find that your airline are increasingly having a representative standing behind the overseas handling agent / check-in desk to see that the overseas handling agent are charging you for any hint of excess.

Best be forewarned - things are tightening up - especially more so this year - if they can make money they will

• Easy solution - don't take excess baggage! 20kg + hand luggage is perfectly fine
  • I have that off to a fine art - I fly a lot - but it's very easy to knock up 20 Kg unless you know how to be frugal - take soap pwdr, etc,  also some airlines will let you cart on 20 Kg of hand baggage if its packed in the right way - others will only let you carry on 5 Kg.  You've just got to be savvy and consider with whom you are travelling.   I never check in more than about 12 Kg  cos you always buy stuff.  I also take clothes I am prepared to, and do, take to the local overseas charity shop.  So, I come home with half the things I took, and the new stuff I bought 
  • I fly a lot - for up to 2 days away I just take hand luggage! Have never got anywhere near excess baggage. Although a colleague of mine takes hand + check in + suit bag for the same 1 or 2 day journeys that I just do with hand luggage. Which can be fkn annoying when he expects me to wait for him at check in. I guess some people just travel lighter...
  • I certainly don't pack light, but have flown for work several times over the last 18 months, some trips 3 or 4 weeks away, and still managed to keep under 20kg. If I can do it, I'm sure anyone can!
  • Go-KL wrote (see)
    On a similar note - can anyone clarify if I can take SIS electrolyte drink powder into Australia. I know they don't allow food products into the country (I once got hauled over by the sniffing dog at Melbourne airport for having the apple that was given to me as part of the plane meal!), But I'm not sure whether powdered drink constitutes as a food product... I would normally not carry it and rely on Powerade but I am going from there to Malaysia where such products are harder to get hold of and electrolyte drink is very necessary!

I took some powder with me to Australia last year.  I had already put serving size amounts in to plastic bags which then went into a tuperware box, it looked exceptionally dodgy. image

I could tell my luggage had (not unexpectedly) been opened and searched but they let the powder through.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

LOL Candy, there is little worse than travelling with someone who has taken checked in bags when you haven't, especially when you have to wait half an hour at reclaim instead of getting in a taxi to the hotel.

y.