Real jobs

Comments

• As Head of a huge school, I have a computer terminal onmy desk. I only check before work, or when I have a coffee or lunch. But then, as the term gets going it's rare.
    I find a scan of the forum is a good stress buster. A chuckle goes a long way to repairing that caused by life.
    It sounds a bit sick, but I've been dealing with a tragic death of a pupil in recent weeks, and it can swallow you up- grief, press, staff, counselling families etc.
    A five miunte scan can keep another perspective.
    A portal on a strange world is release indeed.
  • I work with my husband in our own business, so in a situation akin to paradise I do what I want when I want. There's something empowering about sitting at my laptop at 6 a.m., eating toast and entering wages details whilst planning what to do with my day. I've done the 8 til 6 jobs, the cranky bosses and the cr*p pay.....this is MY time!
  • oh god thats all we need, a bloody teacher pulling us up on our spellin and prenucuation..........only joking barkles
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm at school but unfortunately I'm one of the 'lesser' people who does not get a computer terminal-plenty of computers in my area of work but unfortunately I certainly don't get time to check out the forum in lesson time. At breaks and lunchtime there's always pupils using them. I could use the staff ones at lunch, but they're in short supply so I'm back to having to log on at home in the evening.

Barkles any chance of a job so I can share your computer?
  • No lawyers yet, so I'm the first. If you've ever wondered who drafts small print in financial services documents, look no further! I signed up at home but I do monitor the forums at work - does anyone know how I can log on from work using the same nickname, or do I need a deed poll to change it?

SY3
  • Well you all know what I do... I'm a freelance journalist, a fitness instructor, and single mother of two. I actually only allow around 30 hours per week for work, and probably 20% of that time is spent on here. Recently, been doing a stint in town back in office land. Forgotten how horrible it is. Finished now...glad to be back to normal.
    Oh and I do the odd shift on an oil rig in the North Sea, with Jason L and some other girls
  • Dear Mr SY3

I will provide the requested information promptly on receipt of my fee of £XX.XX, payable in advance. I regret that it is necessary to request advance payment, but regrettable experiences with legal firms other than your own have informed our practice policy in this matter...oh, soddit, since I practically know you and you don't sound like the ambulance-chasing type, it's easy. Just log on at work using the username and password you use at home and the site should do the rest.
  • Well this is the flip side of being a freelancer; while you're all at home relaxing and testing out new ironing ideas, here I am back at the computer checking the forum, oops I mean completing my self assessment form (yes, it's THAT time of year again, and my, those 'phone bills haven't got any smaller have they?)and 'organising' tomorrow's work into twin towers on my desk.
  • Laura
    That's sick!

(Chortle)
  • I work in a small office on the fringe of a large open plan affair so not much chance of my monitor being overlooked.

But we have the thought police - sorry an IT department - who do dip in and check what we're looking at from time to time. And I'm sure I signed something a few years back which said (amongst other things) that I wouldn't enter chat rooms.

However when I received an e-mail to tell me that my first ever post (from home last night of course!) had generated a response, I had to sneak a peak!

And I'm sure you all understand that when I saw that it was Muttley who had responded, well I just had to break the rules and reply.

Wouldn't have been natural not to.

But that's why, after a good club run this evening and with work tomorrow, I'm still up at 11 at night in the forum!

Night all!

• Legless- I ain't no spellin expertt. Dont panik
    Hilly- yup - jobs going next week! and unlimited internet access and no snoop-like pressure from the boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I own a Pizza pasta restaurant with Mrs P, & usualy hang round the forums after work at night, or early in the morning if it's my turn to get up with bambini pizza.

Mrs P calls you "the night time people". She must think that you're all up at this time of the morning punching the keyboard. Uually it's just me & Natty Noodle but even he's not around tonite. They must have a lock-in at the pub.

• pizza man, can you please refrain from using crass swear words on this forum..................as stated I run a pub and 'lock in' is the biggest profanity in our trade...........just a publicans joke!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I'm an IT support person, so checking that internet access is up and running is an integral part of my job, and one I take very seriously. It's one of those jobs where if no-one has any problems, there's no work, and I have to find alternative ways of passing the day.
  • Barkles, what sort of school is it? Primary, Middle, Senior, Grammar, Sixth Form College etc.
  • Am I the only priest in these parts? I work from home (well, the church's house really), and so I can check in whenever I like. The bad news is, I work 6 days a week for about 14 hours a day, so I think I deserve the occasional break. Oh, and I'm a psychotherapist as well, but don't hold it against me!
  • SB
    Primary with Early Years also ages 0-11.
    Have 72 staff in total. Big place for the litle people.
  • work,work,work,please dont mention that word any more its making me feel quite unwell.
  • I can see the headline now. Headmaster caught 'red-handed' pissing in pupils drive.
    Lets hope none of your staff are forumites Barkles.

Pizzaman, I wondered how you got your name.

BK is a programmer who sits in a corner, hence avoids prying eyes. Trying to cut down on work abuse though.

Nice to see you back JasonL although I bet working for Snoop gets a bit painfull
  • BK, I couldn't work for Snoop anymore.
    All the nudity was begining to harm my eyesight, and I didn't want to make Jon jealous.

I've returned to my normal job of creatng stunning designs and webs sites for Blue chip clients. I've lost my corner seat, so now I only have a 50% chance of getting caught on the forums when I should be working. Anyone know of a design company that has a corner desk spare I could park myself in?
  • Sassie - interesting that you are both a priest and a psychotherapist. Do they compliment each other well?
  • I have my own office, therefore it's easy to be online all day if I want to. He he.

If anyone comes in I just minimize the window.

It's a hard life, eh? From this thread I can see that actual work probably takes up very little of people's working day, in general. Isn't the internet great?!!
    Beth
  • I work from home so manage to do a day's work in about five hours. Leaves the rest of the time for forums, have now got to the stage where I spend more time in the forums than I do actually running. Becoming a sad geek, obviously under the belief that reading about running is as good for me as actually running.
  • Don't work, just malfunction. Even with lecturing responsibilities looming (ha ha)there's still time at home. Oh here comes son 2 telling me, again, that I am a junkie. I am!
  • Hi Hildegard, and why Hildegard? Anyway, yes, being holy and a know-all does go well together! Seriously though, my ideal job would combine the two, but we all know how hard it is to find the ideal job.
  • As some of you may know, I'm a copper and thanks to Blunkett and his pals we are busier than ever and have less staff than ever before so don't get much chance except on the odd quiet night shift, Im at home now.
  • Homer,
    We had Blunkett, you are welcome to him mate.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Barkles I'll be applying if I can have unlimited internet access.

Mind you, I'd like my own classroom/office/desk/space! Also, at least 2 free lessons each day to make use of the unlimited internet access and have an extended lunch break for a run!
  • Sassie,
    It's Hildegard because I love the medieval women mystics, and she is my fave! Das fliessende Licht der Gottheit. The English ones are cool too.
  • Sorry Legless, I believe it was an incident with some superglue on the bar stools but apparently it wears off about 2 am. Lock-in indeed!

Are you shaving your leags in that picture?