Do you LIKE running?

2»

Comments

• Hi Kwilter

i prefer running with my friends becouse we talk and our training is amusing too. my opinion is that i live my training to relax , to feel good and form , too . But If  my training is very hard i don't enjoy and i hate  (you don't must it)  .  About eating after a hard training eating....is a good mix , i need carbohydrates ..isn't so? 

good runner everyone

enrico   

• Sometimes I love it, sometimes I just can't wait to get it over and done with, but I always love HAVING run.

Am off-games with cracked ribs at the moment and SO missing running, I can't bear it.   Never thought I'd say that when I spent my entire school years dodging games to have a fag in the bushes.

• i hate the thought of doing it......... enjoy it sometimes when I'm doing it but love the feeling afterwards..............apart from the pains but then a bath and beer usually helps those.image

there are times when it is hard to motivate but if I'm training for a race I just love to tick the run off my schedule..........almost like a kid with a star chart........image

• I'm another one with a real love-hate relationship with running. For the first couple of years I pretty universally loved it - training, racing, the lot. But I'm running really badly at the minute and I seem to spend most runs on the verge of tears because I'm tired and struggling and frustrated. At the same time, I just can't imagine not running. Maybe I just need to look at how/where I run and make some changes...
  • Hi everyone

Ferdy

you are a great runner. i saw your profile is not common.. and,  i don't give you advices but your esperience can be a formidable vehicle for yongs runners ...running kids for expl.  this can be a new way to change the routine.

good run

• its mad me feel better that there are others who have a love hate relationship with running, i hate the thought of it but love the feeling after ,  though find it very hard to be movtivated when dont have anything to train for!
  • Enrico - thank you. I've actually started coaching a beginners group (mostly ladies) and it's a real buzz to see how they progress.
  • I started running so that I could run in the  London marathon. After 5 marathons and approx. 2,500 miles per year I can probably count the number of runs I enjoyed, whilst actually running them, on the fingers of one hand (certainly two). There were many times after a run where I could say I was glad Idid that but as people before have said there is a subtle difference
  • hi everyone

Ferdy i'm glad you have a group of beginners ..is good.  Who knows there is a new future champion .  I like training becouse i often change my path so my session isn't boring.   

Other mates can halp you to change your pace, too . My friends prefer 6,25 M and are speedy but  i do it the same.

enjoy your running

Groovy congratulation for your 5 M . I decide for a while stop with M i've not a lot of time for training .

HM is perfect for me now  .

good run

• Its great to hear all your views - particularly people who can't say they actually enjoy it at the time!  I'v been hanging on by the skin of my teeth since Christmas when all the snow stopped me in my tracks!  I am definitely of the 'I enjoy the fact that I'v done it' rather than the 'enjoy doing it' camp!  don't really want to give up 'cos running is so hard won and lost so easily!  went for a 6k sunday tho (first continuous run since New Year's Day!) and felt quite virtuous (nearly enjoyed that one!)  so praps I won't give up yet after all!  image
  • Some days more than others. I despise the low I get when its going pear shaped. On the other hand, went for a slooow run yesterday through the city about home time and was zipping past all the sad droopy faces of miserable peeps walking to their cars in suits. Then along the river that cuts through the city.

Lovely day and I got a wee teeny bit of the runners high - just had to stop myself from saying aloud "wow this is cool !!!"

• hi everyone

hi Lactic ...

our life is complicated ...sometime you are sad ...than happy (sunny and cloudy) . My opinion is to fell alive . Running is enjoy ...when the sun go up in the morning early when your training start or when you run along the river or the sea with yours friends , too... I train with my friends in my district or countryside ...enjoy the landscape , we talk about our week , we joke , we met other runners ...we take a coffe together than our training, have you see that pretty runner? the top runner invited us for a mileage together ... and you made the same ...."saw an handsome men (uhaaao) ". Enjoy my preferit sport is ...training with my sons when they menage replay the path and than tell me....daddy tomorrow next...

nice day everyone

good run

enrico  

• Yes I enjoy running.

The fitter I am the more I enjoy it !

It's regaining my fitness (having put on weight) I don't particularly enjoy, if you know what I mean...

• 5 days till my marathon....I'm actually really missing my running (during my taper right now)....feeling insecure if I can get round!!  I'll tell you next week if I enjoyed it!!
  • i have been running for three years now. as i said some where before, my moto ' i run 4 fun '. yes i enjoy running but its not the same every time i go out. so the real thing is to keep oneself motivated, i gess... what do you say
  • Hi A.beast

sport in general we usually play during spare time so why i run ?  ....to feel good,  in shape . to stay with my friends , isn't so ? well... my opinion is ... you don't have to run anyway ..  if you go over your limits your training maybe a nightmare. I have read that ..If competition is high among  your runners friends or mates of the team ...during a contest , i have to manage in any case becouse i want to be appreciated ... you live all this with stress and...result : don't enjoy running .

bye

enrico

• I enjoy my running and I actively look forward to going out and doing it...something about running with as good a style and pace that you can manage, feels satisfying. Not sure where all my motivation comes from these days, as I used to put it off at times...and I still do if it's raining or dark. But in the lighter months I can't wait to get out there!
  • PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    I enjoy my running, even though other people at work think I'm crazy, saying I'm skinny and underweight and can't run 100m! Running makes you feel good, even though I like to compete and sometimes the training gets really intensive. Running also makes you aware of yourself, for example food, I only eat heathy stuff and in small quantities, which pays off. I did stop running over Xmas, and felt dissapointed with my self and put 4 lbs on, which when I did longer runs, it really showed on my times. Now i've got back into it, really putting in the miles, twice a day...
  • I started running 22 years ago just by running a one mile race. Inspired by watching athletics on tv like the London Marathon, Great North Run and the greats like Seb Coe, Steve Ovett, Steve Cram, Daley Thompson who in their day were heroes. So I enter a one mile race in London and since then have competed in nearly 600 races ranging every distance. I have completed in the London, Great North, Great South. OK as the years go by and those bugging injuries it can be hard. I love running because its cool, keeps me fit, keeps me competitive and at times fun. What makes it more appealing is there are more challenges for me to fulfil through running.
  • Far from a stupid thread this. I have tried running on and off for about the last ten years (I am 35), but not stuck with it as I found it difficult, not that I am afraid of hard work, it just has to maintain my interest. For a long time I just couldn't be bothered with it, it hurt my whole upper body and I never got past that painful stage. I have enjoyed racing MTB over the past few years which I used to find much more enjoyable; however I have been in bad health for the past couple of years but I am starting to get better and I have always wanted to do the Ironman. I have stuck at the running since Feb and I do actually enjoy it now even though I'm not quite there, I am focused on it to acheive my goal of the IM, so that goal is helping.

Strangely, I used to run at county level in my teens and even then I didn't enjoy it that much and I was like a whippet!

I'm glad that I am finally enjoying my running, it's the simplicity of it I think, I just hope I can keep injury free, I have trouble slowing myself down as I tend to push too hard!

On the plus side too (as has already been said) are the health benefits associated with running, and I watch my diet more, not that I have ever been tubby but I am the closest I have been for years to having a six pack, well it's more of a four pack if I'm honest image

• Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭

Definitely not a stupid thread.

I do enjoy my running.  But having HATED P.E. at school (not naturally gifted and mortified on a regular basis by letting down my team-mates) I have made it CENTRAL to my running that I keep it enjoyable, otherwise I just wouldn't do it.  It maybe means that I don't push myslf as hard as some, but it does mean that I'm still doing it (or go back to it after a break) after 6 years.   I love my long runs on a Sunday, out on the country roads, watching the foliage come to life and the cows in the fields.  I love my recent attempts at speedwork less, and I get very disheartened that I'm not better after all this time, but the lovely long Sunday runs make up for it and help work of the week's stress. image

• PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭

Just been for a run this morning, as said previously, I enjoy watch the countryside roll by, all under my own power. Wasn't too warm, so I could keep a good pace.

I was good at P.E., but hated football and rugby. As I was and am still so small build, in a rugby scrum, my ribs would buckle under the stress, and football - couldn't see the point. However I was good at swimming, Gymnastics(being so light again) and running. When I did well in a XC race, I went on the team and trained most lunch times and after school. Kept this up in College and did some Duathlons then. The only problem then, I got so thin that people thought I was starving, due to running to the college and back every day and hardly eating anything in the refrectory. But I did well and even later, I always come back to running

• it is good to know that most of you do enjoy running. i guess in my case its the age factor that i cant push too hard as much as i like.however do regret why i didnot start running earlier, so would like to catch up fast....i run 4 fun......... 
  • I have been running for many years now but only started to train for an event last year (a little late in the day some might say as im 36).

Here lies the problem, after a punishing marathon training schedule I was outside my goal time by 11mins the goal was sub 3.30, so i decided that the full was not my distance and tried a few halfs and the times started to get better, im now pushing for a sub 1.30.

But last week I had a moment of clarity whilst running up the wrekin, I got to the top in a good time feeling smashed but then thought why am I doing this, why am I pushing myself so hard all the time. I ran down the other side of the wrekin ( the steep bit for anyone that knows it) and found myself running through a bluebell covered wood totally alone and not going flat out and for the first time in a long time not clock watching and enjoying my running.

Yesterday I ran through Ironbridge and took the path behind the cooling towers up a tough hill but I had left my watch at home and was just enjoying the run and ran past a couple of lone deer throught the woodland, as of now if the times get better they will but if they dont who cares as im back to running for enjoyment not against the clock.

Tails

• I started running to help with Thai boxing, which I absolutely loved - trained 3-4 times a week. I hated running but needed to lose a few kg for a fight (my one and only!), but had ITBS which stopped me. I got it fixed with some physio, started running more and more, and running gradually took over to the point where I've stopped Thai boxing altogether. I now run in the morning with a crowd from my gym during the week, and then again at the weekend, and love it so much I get up at 6am to do it! Maybe newbie enthusiasm, but I like seeing improvements in my pace and times and want to get as fast as I can over distance. 

• I love running in races and the buzz i get when i achieve a pb is awesome but alot of the time when i am training i wonder why i am doing it. I do 70 miles running a week at the moment and it takes up a large amount of my free time so a lot of the time i think that i may give it up when i reach my target of a sub 35 10k.  Ive got a love for hill walking/mountain climbing and can see myself focusing on that after ive achieved what i want from running, climbing mount blanc this summer and hoping to climb about 50 munros in scotland over a period of 2 months and the ultimate dream is to attempt everest in the distant future. Saying all of that though if i break 35 mins in 10k i will probably conjure up some more running targets for myself and i'll not be able to get rid of this annoying hobby image
  • Yeah, I'm sure you could get the 10km down to 30mins Graeme, oh go on! image

• I think I'm with you Tails on this one! I have 'forgotten' how to enjoy it and it has become a chore, where I feel 'guilty' if I don't go the snow at xmas was a bit of an excuse to stop. Iv been banging on at my daughter to have a go and ironically since I lost the bug, she's suddenly become keen to go running with me! I have decided to 'lighten-up' a bit like you and to just do what feels right and what I enjoy. Hence back to the run/walks for a bit! Run when the urge takes me - otherwise just walk and enjoy the scenery! At least it gets me back out there! I'm also working at losing some weight as part of the problem is that Iv put on a few lbs since not getting out so much. This i think will make me feel and run better too. Sometimes you just have to get back to basics!
  • hi everyone

sunday my mates of the time wanted run no less 01:30 .... after 32 mins i decided come back . i enjoyed the path , it was sunny and i felt happy. if i had ran with them pace going over my limits i would have  hated my training. my approach with my sport is different now.

good run and nice day for you

enrico