The Beckenham Group (May 2003)

Comments

• Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    May pop over to Ewell and spectate, if there's going to a lot of sweaty females in a various state of undress (well it IS free, and you normally have to pay quite a lot to see that sort of thing!).

Juliet - are you up for a VERY early run this Sunday (7 a.m.ish?)
  • Richard, Juliet

As mentioned last week l wont be running this weekend as l am going home . However, Richard l think l'll go along and join up with Dartford Road Runners this Tuesday. You mentioned that you might go along so just to let you know thats my plan for next Tuesday.

See you all next weekend then l hope for another nice run

Donna
    Have a good w/e Donna - see you next Tuesday then for the club handicap, or a run, whichever you prefer.

Suggest meet up at the clubhouse at 6.20, if you can get there by then. Run starts at 6.40.
  • Club handicap!!! l know nothing about it, l was innocently going along to register and then go for a little "jog" with my new club mates!!! what does the club handicap entail?
    wait & see! ;0)
  • I'm afraid a 'replacement bus service' is not tempting me out to join you on Sunday morning!
    I have a race next Sunday so I won't be out next Saturday either! Disaster!

Have a good weekend everyone...

• J JJ J ✭✭✭
    Good luck on Sunday Jo. I hope you enjoy it.
  • I did enjoy it, even if it was a pw - when you've only done one race before you have to do a pb or a pw! But it was nice to see so many forumites.

Snoop - are you not travelling Millennium Stadiumwards next Saturday morning?
    Affirmative Jo - I'd forgotten when I said about meeting up this Saturday that I would be on the M4 heading for Cardiff at that time.

On the training front - speed work with Meg tomorrow night, and ideally, once a week from now on, will get you up to those p.b.'s you're after.
  • J JJ J ✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed it Jo.

JJ
  • Jo, the Ted Pepper 10K results are finally on the blackheath site!
    I managed 62.13, an improvement of 1.5 min. This must have been due to the sprint in the last 100 yds. I don't know where the speed or energy came from, but perhaps if I do more hills, I'll be able to stretch this
  • Richard

l'll aim to get there this evening for 6.20, is there parking near the club house?
    last time l ran there l parked at that Generation Fitness club down the road

See you then

Donna
    Yes Donna, you can park at the clubhouse - just go up Darenth Road from Princes Road, and turn left at the sign indicating the leisure club, and go up the driveway.

See you at 6.20 p.m. We congregate after changing into our gear at the entrance to the clubhouse.

Richard
  • Donna, missing you on Thursday night. I have planned some longer runs in July which will once again incorporate the route we used to take over to your place, alternatively if you want to join us onm Thursday night to Petts Wood we are running around the just under the 9 minute mile pace.
  • Hi Ashley

l may be able to join you this Thursday, will let you know tomorrow. It just seems there's alot on for me on Thursdays at the moment. l could join you guys as far as Lewisham and you continue from there. Seems like the trainings going well for you. Have you any race this weekend? l am doing the Great Baddow 10 miles in Essex, its a really nice route.
    Donna - your e-mail is not enabled so I cannot e-mail you.

Anyway, there are only four tickets left for Crystal Palace on 8th August, so you need to act fast.

This is the message last night from the organiser, RichardM from the Paula thread on the Unofficial forum, and if you go to the thread and read p. 40, you can see how to book your tickets:_

"OK everyone. I am not around tomorrow so here is an update to tide you over. We now have 56 definites in the group and judging from my conversation with Becky this morning that may be the end of our reserved allocation. On page 40 are contact details for tickets so you can still try to get adjacent seats across the aisle or something, mention my name and she will be very helpful I'm sure".

Group booking
    RichardM (treasurer) (+2)
    Meerkat (co-captain of cheerleading)
    Caz
    Snoop Dogg (social king)
    Smitch (seating plan co-ordinator)
    Fruity Reindeer
    Run Rabbit Run
    Tired Legs
    Nicola Joyce (accommodation officer)
    TwoDogs
    Spans (co-captain of cheerleading) (+2)
    Venom
    SusieBee
    Wolfy (forfeit queen)
    Jon
    cns (+1)
    Gavo
    GarethL
    littlesteph
    Bod + Mini-Bodette
    Flipper + sister
    Jonathan
    tigerrunner
    Lanky limper
    Murf (+1)
    Marzipan Treefrog
    Bandit
    DogWalker
    Linca (+1)
    H.
    SooBDoo

Also booked in same rows
    Kezza (+ hubby Bob)
    Niki
    ScamperMouse (+bf)
    Armadillo
    Compass Kath (+ hubby)
    M
    WildWill
    CollyM (+3)
    Steph
    3TL

Also, my message from last week (as Social Secretary) about the day's activities:-

"OK then - the names are down, the tickets are booked, planning for the "Party of the Planet" weekend kicks off right here.

Preliminary itinery for Friday 8th August, for the most serious party people (participation for ALL events is not compulsory, but anyone wimping out WILL be punished by a forfeit, at the complete discretion of the forfeit queen - (nominations for this VERY importnat post required please):-

12.30 - 1 p.m. - meet up at "Smokies" Wine Bar in Westow Street, (at the Croydon end of Crystal Palace Parade) - map will be provided later).

1.30 p.m. - lunch at "Joanna's" in Westow Street.

3 p.m. - 5.30 p.m. - get blootered at "Gypsy Hill Tavern" in Westow Street.

Late arrivals, who are not taking the day off, to meet up with the drunks at the Gypsy anytime between 3 and 6 p.m., or for very late arrivals, meet at the Stadium, which is about half a mile away from the pub.

6 p.m. (time to be verified) go to stadium.

6.30 p.m. - 10.30 p.m. approx - the main event at Crystal Palace Athletics Stadium.

10.30 p.m. taxis home/stagger to Nicola's drum (map to be provided) for THE Party.

3 a.m. sleepover/fallover/whatever..

Two matters to be clarified:-

1. let's try and get this up to 60 people - see message from Richard (No.151) above about late bookings for the row behind the rows already booked - the more the merrier!

2. let there be no mistake about the forfeit queen's role on the day - SHE who is "the chosen one" must be strong AND dominant - anyone usurping her authority will have to be subjected to the most embarrassing of forfeits, and NO wimping out."

Right, that's Day 1 sorted. - any suggestions for Day 2, Saturday 9th August, let's have 'em.
  • First hills session yesterday. I was a bit pathetic, I could only manage the "Shortlands station to Bromley Magistrates Court" three times. This running is a bit deceptive. I struggled but raced down thinking I can manage another one, until the third one killed me off. Still, determined to stick with it and manage a few more next week.

I've got the Sevenoaks 7 on Sunday so I'll not be running on Saturday.
    See you at Sevenoaks Meg.

That's not bad at all for your first sesh! Keep repeating it every week, and add one further repeat every two weeks until you eventually get to six, and you'll knock 10 miutes off your 10k time - guaranteed!
  • Well done Meg - doesn't sound at all pathetic to me.
  • Thanks for the encouragement guys. The immediate target is sub 1hour for a 10K race and as the next 10K is undulating B'ham I can't slack on the hills.
  • Right so then Snoops its off to the hills in Bromley then if I am to do 45 minutes at Beckenham then is it?
    thought you were doing those on Tuesdays with your physio pal Ashley.
  • Soon, first he's teaching me to run properly, all in the technique you know.

He reckons that if he can get my technique correct he can shave 5% off my time. Once he is happy that I have the right technique he says he will then work on making me faster, but doesn't see the point of making me run faster when I 'land' in odd ways and throw my arms all over the place.

Also watch out he is registered to this site and is a lurker commenting on things I have posted at training sessions.

Morning Martin...
    I'm up for some of that "get my technique correct" stuff - does Martin give group bookings?
  • Me too, sounds great guys. Maybe we could organise a group meeting one week night or Saturday morning if Martin is keen!

Count me in, l need all the help l can get
  • He prefers to work one on one and has offered his services to anyone interested. He is not a sideline coach either instead he works out with the student. including all warm ups and stretching and sprints.

The sprints are also very interesting, easy to start with but hes very fast at 80% and left me standing every time after about 20/30 yards. We carry out our sessions at Vine Close (parralel to Orpington High Street). Hill sessions will also be carried out later on Knowle Rise. I run to his place for warm upcool down so its also ideal for you Snoops.

I will bring the Dell catalogue round and Martins number tonight.
  • Oohh I fancy something like that too!
    Sounds great! How much does he charge?
    thanks Ashley - seems like Martin could do some serious business here if he were to be more expansive in his marketing efforts.

I'm in until 7 p.m. and back about 9 p.m. after a client visit tonight. Wanna meet up at the Sovereign for a pint?
  • Love to but will be ironing and all that I think.

Mind you....

I have sent an email to Martin to log on and sell himself, but I know he is at college this morning and Norman Park (training my two boys plus a host of others), followed by heading over to Ladywell race track for another group (I think Black Heath Harriers).