IGNORANT SLOWER RUNNERS

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

HeadGone,

I've never done the Sodbury Slog...  Must have been another B&W 'aflete'?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I have a friend who did his first 10k race on his own.

He wasn't sure where he should start, and asked someone (another runner, I think).  He was told to look for the approrpriate sign - over 40, over 50, etc.

So he went towards the back, into the over 50 area, because he thought that the signs referred to AGE.

• I am sick and tired of the negative press about slow runners on threads like this and wanted to flip the coin to show the other side 

I was at Bupa 10,000 and altho I had a blue number I got into the green pen as I knew my running speed was more appropriate to that,  I was in the pen with more than twenty minutes to go before the start.  Race started at 10am, so I was in my pen at 9:40am.

Yesterday, the start was in nine waves, each two minutes apart.  Why where there red and blue bibbed numbers still trying to enter their correct starting pens even after the starting gun had gone off?  Why were red and blue bibs having to be put into green pens because they were late?

Because these people turned up late (and I fully understand that some may have been due to circumstances beyond their control, but not all), they caused problems for us slower runners.  I was happily plodding along to the side by the kerb, but I was overtaken by 'sprinters' running between me and the side railings!  Their actions were dangerous and inconsiderate but they were totally oblivious to anyone around them - they just seemed hell-bent on forcing their way through the runners to catch up with where they thought they should have been.

Sorry for having a go at faster runners, but I just wanted to show that it's not always the slower runners that cause problems.

• Schmunkee - I don't think anyone is having a go at slower runners, just inconsiderate runners.

I think the explanation that it's just general ignorance of their pace/expected finish time is correct. Maybe they should put up signs saying sub 1:30 half, 6:50mmp, THIS MEANS REALLY QUITE FAST! image

• Ferdy - I think you've got an idea there! Pens should have signs saying Fast, Quite Fast, Medium and Slow? You can put times under the signs too.
  • Ah the problem with the 'really fast, fast, medium, slow, walking, my dead gran could out pace you'' signs is that people who don't know how fast they are, or think they're faster than they are will still go into the wrong areas. I don't believe that I am particularly fast (and I was suprised to be in the 2nd wave at bupa 10k yesterday) so having fast. med slow would have put myself further back and then been overtaking lots of people in the first few k's. As it was i didn't find there were many people who i needed to overtake/weave at all. In fact (as i think i said in my previous post on here) it was the least i have ever had to weave in any race.

schmunkee, i agree with what you're saying, it all comes down to consideration  - that sid what didn't helpo was the tube being so poor over the bank holiday weekend - and the Jubilee line being completely closed was just fantastic, but that's a whole other thread i think

• I  very much enjoy the atmosphere at these races and consider myself (still) a beginner at this malarky  but I do know my place (just about at the back)  though in time that will change image

Now - not sure how to ask this question  as is prob obvious - my last 10k results I notice that quite a number of runners  finished ahead (gun time)  but were slower round the course (chip time)  How does that happen -  maybe walk breaks and toilet stops? 

I was so sure ( and believe me pleased with myself  considering the conditions)  I was a steady 10.5mm pace all the way round  image

Looking forward to getting my wave band for the Great South - put my time down for two hours so that will mean right at the back AGAIN!!

• Myredface, yes walk/toilet could be part of it but also there would be people who started ahead of you and some just weren't able to go at the speed they thought/should be to justify their start position - pretty much what this thread is about i think
  • Maybe we should steal an idea from F1 (Go Jenson)

We all have to do a qualifying lap

But in all honesty its never gonna change, we live in a very selfish society.

If this was a driving forum we would be complaining about tail gaters, slow drivers or not using indicators.

• Sprint AkieSprint Akie ✭✭✭

How about a punishment if you dont finish within 5-10mins of your predicted time? Perhaps line snipers up by the finish line picking off the inconsiderate runners or there timing chip could explode? Worth looking into image.

• My arguement would be that alot of these races dont tell you, Personally i'm always in last place, but from the races i been too , that start seems a big bun fight with the inexperienced runners just having to muck in.

You lot should just be thankful I know my place , you'd all be knackered if you had to run around me.

• I think it's down to people just not realising how fast they have to run to finish in a certain time.  I was at the start line in a 10 mile race back in March and was looking at the 'sub 65 min' pen.  There were women in there who couldn't even have driven round the course in 65 minutes, let alone ran!  The amount of people I passed who were walking after the first 500 metres was shocking (I was in the sub 75 min pen). 

I may not be the fastest runner ever, but I'm a purist - I hate headphones, I hate dreadmills and I hate people walking in a running race!  I was ina 10k race on Sunday which had a start line for runners and then another start line further back for walkers - perfect!  

It's just a matter of educating these 'runners', but I don't think it will ever happen.

• @Ferdy - The title of this thread is 'Ignorant Slower Runners' and not only that, it is written in capitals which has come to mean shouting in text/forum speak.  I agree the thread has moved along somewhat since the original post, but how are slower runners supposed to feel with a thread title such as this. How would faster runners feel if there was a similar thread title on the forum.

I just wanted to point out that there are just as many IGNORANT FAST RUNNERS out there image and wanted to 'fight the cause' for us plodders. 

Personally, I believe in 'live and let live.  I know there are people who run a lot faster than me and there are people that run slower than me.  I know my place in life (and in the starting pens) but let's not always point the blame towards slower runners.

Ferdy - only the first para was to you.  The rest of the rant was to anyone that was still listening image

• at the glasgow ladies 10k the colour of your bib dictates where you start so it's obvious if you've sneaked into the wrong section. not sure if the race marshalls move people to the right spot if they see anyone,but it is a way round it. saying that though, even though i was in the right section and finishedi n my predicted time, there were lots of people walking within 1km who we had to jostle past. i agree it is annoying but in a busy race full of mainly fun runners it is just part of the day (i still managed a pb tho image)
  • Personally, I find this thread a bit petty.  Yes, it is annoying if you have to weave in and out of slower runners and especially if you feel that you've missed your pb accordingly. Personally I always prefer to start further back so as not to get in anyone's way.

However if you enter these larger races, then you have to accept that there will be a lot of slower, inexperienced people who maybe don't even run at all and are racing for charity or their own personal achievement. I say good on them for getting off their arses and making the effort to get out there and do it. These runners aren't "ignorant", they just don't understand race etiquette. No need to start slagging them off for not wearing correct footwear or a sports bra - at least they're having a go!

For me, the larger races are more about getting into the spirit of the racing and enjoying racing with other people, often for a good cause.  The beauty of running is that anyone can do it, whether they're elite or a beginner. As a relatively new runner, if I'd encountered this snobbish attitude when I first started, I probably would have given up at the start.

Experienced runners should be encouraging newer runners at these races and if you're going to cry over not getting a pb, then stick to smaller races with runners at your own level.

• I think Melodra has summed it up perfectly.  Races such as Bupa 10,000 are mass participation events and therefore open to anyone and everyone from fast club runners to charity run/walkers.

If you're chasing a PB why not go to a race where there is a smaller (and I use the word without the slightest intention of insulting anyone) and more elitist field.  Now, before you all flame me, by 'elitist' I mean where the majority of entrants are club runners and therefore are likely to be running at speeds more akin to yours 

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Melodra, if people are unaware of the rules/ettiquette of where to start in a race, then they ARE ignorant.

ig no rant   /ˈɪg nərənt/ 

–adjective

1.lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.

2.lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.

3.uninformed; unaware.4.due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

It's not an insult, it's a statement on their lack of knowledge.

• Referring to inexperienced runners as "ignorant" has obviously negative connotations and as Schmunkee said, the use of caps doesn't help.  I think you've missed my point though.

• slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭

I think personally that the OP made it quite clear that the thread originator was not having a go at slower runners per se, but at those slower runners who do not observe race etiquette.  As a none-too-speedy runner myself, I think it's a perfectly valid point, and nothing to be offended by.

As for being fed up about all the "negative press about slow runners on threads like this", I've been posting on this forum for years and never seen any negative posts  which were speed related.  Indeed I have had nothing but support and encouragement from many runners on this forum who are considerably faster than me, and when I've met them at races they've shown nothing but respect for my running and delight when I've got a PB, even if they could have completed the course twice in the time it took me to plod round.

No need to have a chip on the shoulder about speed in this place - we're all runners, and that what counts.  

• I think the title, whilst a little direct, does go on to state that it is not aimed at all slow runners, and the first post does make it clear. In this case it is ignorace of running etiquete, and with regards to walkers, or those not intending on running the whole way round starting right at the front without a care about who they may inconvienence, well to me that is more of a bloody stupid than ignorant thing. Would you have prefereed the title to be 'Bloody stupid slower runners who happen to inconvenience all behind them by starting at walking pace from the very front' (IMO it's not as catchy)
  • x post with slo sho - agree completely and sort of what i was getting at but in a much more succinct and elloquent manner
  • whan I get to 35 minute 10k, I will expect slower runners to follow race etiquet. Whilst stuckk around 55 minute 10k, I will start at the back a bitimage
  • Schmunkee and Melodra, please go back I read my original post fully before replying

1. I refer to the fact I respect ALL runners regardless of ability

2. I reger to MINORITY of ignorant runners

If I took up golf, I would not expect to enter a competition and play in a group much better than me, I would realise I need to find out how good I am then find by niche in who to play a round with.

If your suggesting that anyone out of 12000 ruinners looking for a PB should look for a smaller race, please explain why there were NINE starting waves.

• slo sho - virtual high five coming your way :0)
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I was wondering when the usual "snobbism", "elitism", "you hate all slower runners" crap would surface ... took longer than I was expecting, tbh.

It's not about speed, it's about behaviour, about consideration, s about reading the race instructions. And about properly reading the original post!

• @Muttley - I used the word 'elitist' with hesitancy as I knew there could be a misunderstanding of it's meaning.  I was not accusing anyone of being elitist (and I am not accusing you of accusing me etc etc) or elitism existing.  I am just suggesting that if PBs were being sought, then they may be better achieved at a club run event rather than a mass participation event (Perhaps that did not come across in my post-sorry)

And I was not flying the 'you all hate slow runners' cr@p as the support on these forums prove that.  I was just pointing out that there were some inconsiderate faster runners present too yesterday and that there are two sides to every coin.

PS  When can I start on about the clique image

PPS Yes, that is a joke!!

• ps apologies for interesting spellings in 16:03 post, but v annoying when someone starts completely ignoring the original post and venting about a different matter....
  • Welcome to the forums Chris ! Once you start a thread - it will invariably spin out of control and end up about something else.

Dont let it worry you.